View Full Version : Buying a 2008 250R this weekend

superkain
February 27th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Ok, so first post, here we go. I find myself without a bike for a few weeks while my 750 is getting some work done.

I'm bored and found a good deal on last years 250R, which my roommate is looking at buying anyways. I think I'll just buy it and ride it for a month or two until she takes her MSF course and sell it to her.

I've never owned a Kawi before, so I'm hoping you can tell me what are some specific gotchas to look for on these bikes. what goes wrong? what needs special attention? what need I know beyond emptor caveat?

Thanks!

kkim
February 27th, 2009, 10:42 AM
welcome, super. :)

the bikes are fairly reliable. a lot would depend on how well it was maintained by the previous owner. does the bike have maintenance records of what has been done since new?

superkain
February 27th, 2009, 10:45 AM
That's one of the basics I am going to cover as soon as i meet with him and see/hear/touch/taste? the bike.

kkim
February 27th, 2009, 10:48 AM
okay, how many miles on the bike? there is a 600 mile service which is basically an oil change.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10577

check to see if the bike has ever been crashed/dropped.

superkain
February 27th, 2009, 10:49 AM
yup, i know the seller as he is a friend of a close friend. crash/drop has been covered. service record i will touch with him. It looks like there isn't any specific gotchas or recalls that I should be aware of that I can find. just wanted to check with the experts.

kkim
February 27th, 2009, 10:56 AM
there are 2 recalls that you should be aware off... nothing major. if the bike is still under warranty, Kawasaki will fix them free.

one is a front brake replacement and the other is to check for flashing in the crankcase vent in the airbox. If it is blocked, oil pressure builds in the crankcase and oil will spew everywhere under the bike. if the bike's were blocked, you would know it a the very early stages of it's life. Something to ask the owner, though.

also, on the 08s, there was a brake light recall, but it made more sense for you to just replace it with one from the auto parts store.

what is the build date on the bike or what month was it purchased new?

grandmaster
February 27th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Hey Kelly. Can I just take my bike to the Kawi dealer with my serial number and see if there is a recal on my bike? Or do I have to go in there to get it serviced too.

Alex
February 27th, 2009, 02:38 PM
You can call a dealer (or kawasaki directly) with your VIN and they can confirm if all appropriate recalls have been done on your bike.

kkim
February 27th, 2009, 02:39 PM
plug in your VIN on this page and it will tell you if there are any recalls out on your bike.

http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.aspx?strContentURL=/SITE/VIVEHICLEINFORMATION/VICHOOSEVEHICLE.ASP

Alex
February 27th, 2009, 02:40 PM
even better! :thumbup:

kkim
February 27th, 2009, 02:48 PM
yeah, that link can come in handy for someone to check a specific used bike provided they have the VIN.

grandmaster
February 27th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Thank you

noche_caliente
February 28th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Welcome Super! let us know how it turns out with the bike! :)

randomwalk101
February 28th, 2009, 02:58 PM
I'm bored and found a good deal on last years 250R, which my roommate is looking at buying anyways. I think I'll just buy it and ride it for a month or two until she takes her MSF course and sell it to her.

if you're bored, just ride her...why buy a 250R? That's what I'd do :thumbup:

hainesj
February 21st, 2010, 09:06 PM
i am having this same problem i have already ripped my bike apart and i am ready to take the airbox out . how do i fix this leak in the crankcase /airbox