View Full Version : Need a new backpack

Nesto1000
July 14th, 2013, 04:06 PM
So do any of you guys have or know of a good motorcycle oriented backpack?

One of the features that I'm looking for in the backpack is a pouch or something to hold a helmet in. I have seen quite a few online, but I don't really know which one to get.

I'll mostly be using it for school, and occasionally for work.

I figured that it'd go in this forum rather than Riding Gear since it is technically a storage compartment. haha

Asspire
July 14th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Oxford AeroPack

http://www.motorradonline.de/sixcms/media.php/11/thumbnails/Aeropack_Oxford_-_2010_09_20_0145.JPG-V--Amendo_$%7B15022871%7D.jpg.1701097.jpg

Has a helmet carrier in the bottom, waterproof, camelback pocket, and plenty storage to boot. Carried everything from take out, to a jug of oil, to riding jacket and pants. Damn thing is indestructible.

also see here

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114508

gives you an idea of what certain backpacks can hold.

dailowill
July 14th, 2013, 05:10 PM
I have the Alpinestars Tech Aero backpack and its pretty nice. It has a rain cover, a laptop sleeve, and a pouch that goes across your chest which I carry my e-zpass in. It's also collapsible for times that you don't need to carry as much.

ninjamunky85
July 14th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Go ogio

tnr4
July 14th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Kriega is the sh*t. I have the R20, which is a good, smallish bag. Get the R25 if you want a full sized bag. :thumbup:

Whiskey
July 14th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Fairly substantial review of a range of backpacks here
http://www.visordown.com/product-features/tested-best-motorcycle-rucksacks/22531.html

Oxford AeroPack

Has a helmet carrier in the bottom, waterproof, camelback pocket, and plenty storage to boot. Carried everything from take out, to a jug of oil, to riding jacket and pants. Damn thing is indestructible.

Is there any way to adjust that one:confused:

I had a good look around when my old backpack gave up the ghost (Eastpack, which served me well for 15 years) & decided on one of those until I got my hands on it in the shop. even in full leathers it hung around my arse & there was no way of shortening the straps that I, or the shop dude, could find.

MagicMike
July 14th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Go ogio

This. I got the mach 5. It's great.

http://images.esellerpro.com/2189/I/532/79/OGIO-No-Drag-Mach-5-Rucksack-Stealth-Master-1.jpg

Nesto1000
July 14th, 2013, 09:02 PM
It seems like the Oxford AeroPack is a UK item and not really available in the US.

I really love the Ogio Mach 3/5
Unfortunately the Mach 5 is out of stock on Revzilla where I prefer to buy my stuff from since they've been great to me (plus I have revzilla cash to use) :/

I really liked the Alpinestars Tech Aero as well, but it's also out of stock at Revzilla.

If they don't come back in stock by the time that I need it, I'll probably end up going with the Kriega R25.

Thanks for the help guys!

Aggrotech
July 14th, 2013, 09:10 PM
i has the Kriega R25 and i absolutely love it. Ive also been able to fit my icon airmada in the backpack during a few hospital visits ive done recently. Its water resistant (not WATERPROOF) although id say that could be argued. Ive had it on in a storm for over an hour and a half straight with no contents inside the backpack being wet.

Obsidia
July 22nd, 2013, 02:15 PM
I have the Ogio Mach 5 as well. I love it! I haul around my laptop, shoes, clear shield (it has a special pocket just for this on the inside) and a camelbak. On the outside is a strap that is designed for use as a helmet holder. Also, the pack is expandable so it will hold a fairly decent amount of stuff! The only drawback is that the pack is VERY hard to obtain and it makes people stop and ask what is that on your back :p They're sold out almost as soon as retailers get them in stock :-(

Check your local dealerships. You may have better luck finding one that way.

agentbad
September 24th, 2013, 09:17 AM
I was actually thinking about getting this REI backpack so I can use it also as a trail bag. The Ogio looks nice but seems overpriced to me.

http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/854045/rei-trail-25-pack

caineroad
October 15th, 2013, 10:40 AM
OGIO is the best brand!

adouglas
October 15th, 2013, 03:59 PM
I've had the uber-cool Axio Swift 2.0, which I sold practically unused, and I currently use my Axio tank bag in backpack mode.

Here's what I've learned:

1) Lots of pockets and dividers are counterproductive. An empty sack with one little pouch for loose change and such is far more useful. The Axio Swift had so many dividers that it was almost useless unless you were carrying a laptop, a few file folders and lunch.

2) Loose strap ends like you'll find on non-motorcycle packs are a PITA because they flap in the wind.

3) You really need something you can adjust/cinch up while wearing leathers, helmet and gloves. It's almost impossible to get into a pack's shoulder straps with gear on unless the straps are way loose... then you need to tighten them. Non-motorcycle packs, and a lot of riding-specific packs, are not like this.

4) So-called "aero" design is BS. A pack is going to ride in the bubble of turbulent air behind you anyway. It looks cool, but that's about it.

For now my Axio tank bag worn as a backpack does the trick on everything except the cinching/adjusting part. There it's marginal.

I'm thinking Kriega R25 for my next pack because it addresses every one of these issues.

krolinked
October 15th, 2013, 04:41 PM
Herschel Little America

agentbad
October 15th, 2013, 05:10 PM
I'm thinking Kriega R25 for my next pack because it addresses every one of these issues.

That bag does look pretty nice but I have been rocking a basic book bag for a while now with no issues at all. I guess I am just frugal when it comes to this kind of stuff because I'd rather spend money on my bike or protective gear.

antiant
October 15th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Kriega ftw. I have also used this with walking/traveling, carrying heavy loads. It rocks, I feel no pressure on my back or shoulders.

Edit: It's also hydration pack ready, which is a plus in my book.

chef
October 16th, 2013, 03:22 AM
Kreiga R25 is the bees knees.Check the size & what you carry,in future i would get the R30 bc theres always something the wife forgot to buy :eek:

Quality is great,easy on/off/adjust while wearing gloves plus its a big relief for my lower back pain.

LNasty
October 16th, 2013, 07:39 AM
This is what I have. I love it, fits my lunch bag and everything else I need for work. Has a helmet bag attached with a waterproof wrap as well

http://www.mototechcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/LAGUNAAEROPACK1.jpg

leed
October 17th, 2013, 08:43 PM

I've been wanting to replace my current backpack with the Kriega R25.. But it's not waterproof!

I have been using my cycling bag for the past few years but it is dying out [slowly]. I love it, so I may just buy another. It's an Ortlieb Velocity. Once you tuck/buckle/tie away all the straps, it makes a great tailbag too!

antiant
October 17th, 2013, 09:54 PM
I've been wanting to replace my current backpack with the Kriega R25.. But it's not waterproof!Get the Kriega R30, it's waterproof.

Whiskey
October 18th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Oxford AeroPack

http://www.motorradonline.de/sixcms/media.php/11/thumbnails/Aeropack_Oxford_-_2010_09_20_0145.JPG-V--Amendo_$%7B15022871%7D.jpg.1701097.jpg

also see here

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114508

gives you an idea of what certain backpacks can hold.

They're ****.:thumbup:

Looked good online & seemed to be worth a shot, went to the shop to pick one up & it was as flimsy as ****, no adjustability on the straps (Neither me nor the shop assistant could work it out & that looks to be a serious oversight.)

Not worth the money:thumbup:

Asspire
October 18th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Get the Kriega R30, it's waterproof.

Ditto, got it a couple months ago, thing holds quite a bit and waterproof. The outer pockets are water resistant though, but after a couple rides in downpours the stuff in them are still dry and material inside is "dampish". The straps are amazing also.

I still have the oxford aero bag, going three years of daily use (using it for school right now, i did break a zipper trying to carry my text books, jacket and gloves stuffed inside, but that cause of me being stupid). I wouldn't call it flimsy at all, not sure about the straps, both have adjustments, and has a sternum strap as well (not as amazing as the kriega though), maybe the one you looked at was a knockoff?

IF13
October 20th, 2013, 10:18 PM
I've had the uber-cool Axio Swift 2.0, which I sold practically unused, and I currently use my Axio tank bag in backpack mode.

Here's what I've learned:

1) Lots of pockets and dividers are counterproductive. An empty sack with one little pouch for loose change and such is far more useful. The Axio Swift had so many dividers that it was almost useless unless you were carrying a laptop, a few file folders and lunch.

2) Loose strap ends like you'll find on non-motorcycle packs are a PITA because they flap in the wind.

3) You really need something you can adjust/cinch up while wearing leathers, helmet and gloves. It's almost impossible to get into a pack's shoulder straps with gear on unless the straps are way loose... then you need to tighten them. Non-motorcycle packs, and a lot of riding-specific packs, are not like this.

4) So-called "aero" design is BS. A pack is going to ride in the bubble of turbulent air behind you anyway. It looks cool, but that's about it.

For now my Axio tank bag worn as a backpack does the trick on everything except the cinching/adjusting part. There it's marginal.

This is a really nice alternative to the much sought after Ogio backpacks.

Also, what's up with many of the bags being recommended? The repeating features seem to be a sternum strap, waist strap, laptop sleeve, weather proof, and to some, slightly slanted to be somewhat aerodynamic.

If you look hard enough, there are plenty of backpacks that are like that and are sold at a fraction of a cost. The catch? They're sold as regular packs, not "motorcycle" backpacks.

EDIT: Yes, I know some are made with the consideration of the user and his leather gear so that it's easier to put on and put off but come on now...For starters, here's one by Overboard: http://www.amazon.com/OverBoard-Waterproof-Backpack-Yellow-20-Liter/dp/B001FOQT4Q

antiant
October 21st, 2013, 06:25 AM
They're sold as motorcycle backpacks because they specifically design them to be ergonomically fitted when riding. A sternum strap is not just a sternum strap (and other so called "repeated features") they can have a poor design, poor ergonomics, etc. That should be common sense. :rolleyes:

IF13
October 21st, 2013, 07:23 AM
They're sold as motorcycle backpacks because they specifically design them to be ergonomically fitted when riding. A sternum strap is not just a sternum strap (and other so called "repeated features") they can have a poor design, poor ergonomics, etc. That should be common sense. :rolleyes:

Besides the hardpacks mentioned (saw there was another one posted), I honestly don't think I'd throw in an extra $100-$200 just because it's supposedly more ergonomically fitted for riding.

I've used regular backpacks albeit more higher end ones than others and I've never had a problem with it while riding. The only time I did was when I had a second motorcycle helmet to carry. (Had to strap it to the back of my bike because there wasn't a way to carry it on the backpack like the Squad backpacks)

antiant
October 21st, 2013, 07:27 AM
There's a difference between "supposedly" and actuality, but hey if you don't feel like throwing that money out, then don't, no one is forcing you to. Stick to whatever works for you and your budget. Simple.

IF13
October 21st, 2013, 07:42 AM
There's a difference between "supposedly" and actuality, but hey if you don't feel like throwing that money out, then don't, no one is forcing you to. Stick to whatever works for you and your budget. Simple.

Thanks man, yeah I forgot to throw in "Whatever the case is, to each his own" at the end of my post.

In the end, it just breaks down to personal preference/ budget. I'll stick to my backpacks and if there's a drypack that I come across that's super comfortable and is noteworthy, I'll be sure to make a mention of it for anyone else to consider.

Sorry, just like saving a bit of money. The more I save, the more I can put into the rest of my gear that my other thread showed needs improving.

adouglas
October 21st, 2013, 09:15 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-okA6lZzYohU/UEus6JSzvCI/AAAAAAAAGok/YVVrnWLsqTc/s1600/big-backpack.jpg

The advantage is that you no longer need to worry about parking. Just put your bike inside and carry it with you.....

IF13
October 21st, 2013, 09:19 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-okA6lZzYohU/UEus6JSzvCI/AAAAAAAAGok/YVVrnWLsqTc/s1600/big-backpack.jpg

The advantage is that you no longer need to worry about parking. Just put your bike inside and carry it with you.....

Reminds me of foldable mountain bikes and the bags they come with.