View Full Version : Tire gauge

headshrink
February 28th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I'm going to need a new tire gauge since the dealer said my front tire is cuping due to low preasure. I check my air every week or two, it holds air pretty good, and all this time I thought I was good. So it looks like my gauge is inaccurate. I had cross checked it with two other gauges I had laying around and I would only get a variance of +/- 2psi, which I thought wasn't that big a deal. I guess they are all pretty cheap!

So, the reason why I put this in farkles in stead of tech, is because I am looking for some recomendations for a new gauge.

Sound Wave
March 1st, 2009, 01:18 AM
here is a review i found on different digital gauges.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-tires/pressure-gauge-air-compressor.htm

Buffalony
March 1st, 2009, 10:03 AM
anyone here know how accurate those pressure indicator valve caps are?

Alex
March 1st, 2009, 02:12 PM
They are awful. And bordering on unsafe. The way a conventional valve stem works to keep air in our tires is twofold. First, there is the Shrader valve:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrader_valve

And on top of that is a plastic or metal valve cap, that serves two purposes. First, it helps prevent air leakage if the Shrader valve starts to fail in some way. Also, it acts as a protective cover to keep dirt and other contaminants out of the Shrader valve itself and causing it to malfunction.

The pressure-reading valve caps depress the Schrader valve so the pressure can be continuously read, completely disabling them. The only thing keeping the air in the tires is that screw cap itself, basically taking a two-pronged system and cutting its safety and reliability in half.

In our garage we have a $50 craftsman electric air compressor with a gauge on it (that is within a PSI of our standalone digital gauge), and I check my tires before leaving the garage just using the compressor. Basically every single time I hook it up, I need to add 1-2 psi, so just checking it each time without a way to add air would mean some pretty frequent trips to the gas station if I didn't have a way to add air locally.

Buffalony
March 1st, 2009, 04:12 PM
Basically every single time I hook it up, I need to add 1-2 psi, so just checking it each time without a way to add air would mean some pretty frequent trips to the gas station if I didn't have a way to add air locally.

this is interesting.I shall pay even more attention.

Alex
March 1st, 2009, 04:33 PM
I don't think 1 or 2 psi would kill any of us in the scheme of things. A mechanic friend says that 90% of the bikes that come into his shop have extremely low tire pressure, in the 18 - 20 range, basically because most people never check it. And most people don't crash (on every ride, at least :D ). But if it is important for someone to make sure that they always have the exact pressure they expect, you pretty much have to do it every ride.

For the cupping thing, I've found that different tire models are more or less susceptible to it. Also, riding style (and especially braking style) makes a large difference. If a rider is always on the front brakes while still turning in, that can exacerbate cupping in a front tire. Rolling through the corners on steady throttle seems to be easier on the tires all around. Too low pressure (and perhaps even too high pressure) may cause some cupping over a long period of time, but I don't think 1 or 2 psi off in either direction would be a significant cause for it. :idunno:

Buffalony
March 2nd, 2009, 02:55 PM
I never thought of breaking in turns creating that type of wear.interesting.

I don't break in turns at all though. It was a hard thing not to do and its hard for some to understand why not do it.

OldGuy
March 2nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
It was a hard thing not to do and its hard for some to understand why not do it.

Until you feel the rear end start to go out from under you. Not fun if you don't have any experience with it. Down shifting in turns is the other "no-no". :eek:

Alex
March 2nd, 2009, 04:39 PM
I don't break in turns at all though. It was a hard thing not to do and its hard for some to understand why not do it.

The MSF (and David Hough) guidance of getting all of your braking done prior to entering a turn is generally good advice for a new rider. It eliminates some variables, and makes it necessary to slow down to a controlled cornering speed well before entering the corner.

But as people build experience, with today's tire and suspension technology, it can become smoother, faster, and even safer to learn how to continue braking while in a turn. On a racetrack, in many corners the fastest guys are braking all the way up to the apex of the corner when the bike reaches max lean angle. Careful modulation of the front brake (and even rear brake) can change the attitude of the machine in the corner, can tighten up or widen the line, and can even adjust lean angle. On the street, those who are big fans of trailbraking often have a bit of brake still on while turning into a corner; this gives them additional options for adding more brake if encountering different traction in the corner, an unexpected obstacle, etc.

None of this means go out and start nailing the brakes while in a corner, it just means that "never use your brakes while in a corner" doesn't hold true in all cases, especially after people get a number of years and tens of thousands of miles under their belts.

Buffalony
March 3rd, 2009, 02:31 PM
The MSF (and David Hough) guidance of getting all of your braking done prior to entering a turn is generally good advice for a new rider. It eliminates some variables, and makes it necessary to slow down to a controlled cornering speed well before entering the corner.

But as people build experience, with today's tire and suspension technology, it can become smoother, faster, and even safer to learn how to continue braking while in a turn. On a racetrack, in many corners the fastest guys are braking all the way up to the apex of the corner when the bike reaches max lean angle. Careful modulation of the front brake (and even rear brake) can change the attitude of the machine in the corner, can tighten up or widen the line, and can even adjust lean angle. On the street, those who are big fans of trailbraking often have a bit of brake still on while turning into a corner; this gives them additional options for adding more brake if encountering different traction in the corner, an unexpected obstacle, etc.

None of this means go out and start nailing the brakes while in a corner, it just means that "never use your brakes while in a corner" doesn't hold true in all cases, especially after people get a number of years and tens of thousands of miles under their belts.

I can understand that.Makes perfect sense. I'm not ubber experienced either. So I like to keep it simple for myself. If I have to break in a turn on roads I know well then I entered the turn to fast. If I have to break in a turn on roads I dont know.. then again I was going to fast. I use the rear break in really slow maneuvers like in parking lots.

headshrink
March 3rd, 2009, 07:43 PM
Is there something I should look for in a gauge, or just not a cheapo pen gauge (which is what I have been using). I do have one on my compressor, but want something I don't have to hook up.

I'm bummed because I had a short pen gauge with a magnet on it that I keep under my "hood", but I guess it has to go now.

Alex
March 3rd, 2009, 08:08 PM
Take a peek at the review in Sound Wave's second post (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=29142&postcount=2) in this thread. I've got this one (http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/rg/air/air.htm), and it seems to work just fine for around $20.

EDIT: Looks like these guys (http://www.roadgear.com/index.php?page=Product&id=110) are now selling it for $24.90.

headshrink
March 4th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I just sent in an order... thanks!

athimmel
March 4th, 2009, 04:30 PM
So did I! Amazon.com takes more of my money.

headshrink
March 4th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I ordered mine direct.... every time I buy from Amazon, they resolve to step-up their spamming attempts. Just like with my kids, I don't want to encourage bad behavior ;)

Let us know how you like your unit and I'll do the same.

Hey... your a local guy :)
Which is your dealership?

athimmel
March 4th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Can we send Amazon.com to their rooms? Nah. Too plush.

I'll let you know how the gauge works out, although I'm mechanically disinclined to the max. In so many words, my opinion on these matters is worth squadoosh.

I bought my Ninja at MDK Motorsports in Folsom, CA. :thumbup:

GreezMunky
March 4th, 2009, 06:59 PM
In so many words, my opinion on these matters is worth squadoosh.

Tai Lung: The Wuxi finger hold!
Po: Oh, you know this hold?
Tai Lung: You're bluffing. You're bluffing! Shifu didn't teach you that.
Po: Nope. I figured it out. Skadoosh!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.. :D

headshrink
March 4th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Can we send Amazon.com to their rooms? Nah. Too plush.

I'll let you know how the gauge works out, although I'm mechanically disinclined to the max. In so many words, my opinion on these matters is worth squadoosh.

I bought my Ninja at MDK Motorsports in Folsom, CA. :thumbup:

Me too... you wouldn't by chance have been the guy who chatted with me a moment when I had my bike in for service last week, where you?