View Full Version : Rear seat cowl help

LuckyDog
February 28th, 2009, 05:41 PM
ok .... Sorry to bother you guys .... but it seems that I lost a Grommet from the cowl I bought. Can any of you guys that have the cowl please take a picture of it. So I may be able to know what I am looking for in the car. I'd hate to spend $15 to buy this part from CheapCycleParts.com. Item underlined below is the part I am referring to. Thanks in advance.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s71/Lucky_Dog1971/Rearseatcover.jpg

kkim
February 28th, 2009, 05:52 PM
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_geC920GCq38/SLkSMcxYR8I/AAAAAAAAAuE/TYhY9O9IMhM/s640/DSC04495-1.JPG

ninjabrewer
February 28th, 2009, 07:46 PM
That looks like the one that is always coming out on mine, look down inside, under the rear seat/cowl, and see if it just fell out, mine has a habit of doing that, as I frequently lock my helmet on with it. I need another one also because mine is ripped on one side. If my cowl don't stay down in the rear, I know that grommet is loose or has fell out, otherwise it just pops down.

nb

ninjablk08
February 28th, 2009, 09:34 PM
ok .... Sorry to bother you guys .... but it seems that I lost a Grommet from the cowl I bought. Can any of you guys that have the cowl please take a picture of it. So I may be able to know what I am looking for in the car. I'd hate to spend $15 to buy this part from CheapCycleParts.com. Item underlined below is the part I am referring to. Thanks in advance.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s71/Lucky_Dog1971/Rearseatcover.jpg

i saw some at the Lowe's hardware store where the washers and bolts and stuff like that is at

LuckyDog
March 1st, 2009, 12:10 AM
What kind of material is it ? rubber ? and does it make the cowl lock in place ?

kkim
March 1st, 2009, 12:33 AM
it's rubber. it doesn't lock the cowl in place. The stud hanging down from the cowl slips into that rubber grommet.

The metal bar in the front of the cowl locks into place.

k-os
March 2nd, 2009, 01:13 AM
Can anyone confirm there's a part from Lowe's, or other similar hardware stores, that this can be replaced with? The part is only like $2.50 on Babbits, but the shipping is over $15. Is there a different site I should try?

noche_caliente
March 2nd, 2009, 08:28 AM
Andy, you might try your dealer... when I needed the spring that connects the rear brake light switch, I called my dealer and they charged the same price as the online places and dropped it in the mail for the cost of a stamp - not the usual operating procedure, but since they want me to come back, they were happy to do it :)

Viper-Byte
March 2nd, 2009, 01:04 PM
Andy, I also require the rubber gromet as I lost mine, (I may glue it in place this time if it doesn't interfere with the passenger seat) but at USD$92.68 to SHIP the little thing to me in NZ from babbitts is a little too much... LOL!

I am going to go to the dealer I got the seat cover from and see how much they will charge for the gromet.

Viper-Byte
March 4th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Well, been to the dealer and picked up the rubber gromet for NZD$4.90 (about USD$2.45) and I have glued it in place this time.

LuckyDog
March 4th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Shoot .... I went to my local True Value store and picked up a rubber grommet for only 75 cents. It's not as wide as the one pictured but it does a great job in holding the seat cowl down. Thanks ninjablk08 for the hint on checking out Lowes .

KawiRider
March 31st, 2011, 11:04 PM
Yup guys. The grommet is easy to find at any hardware store. It definitely holds the cowl on much better. Working it to fit properly takes a second or two. I just did this along with wrapping my cowl pad with OEM material. It looks awesome. I used to notice the rear of the cowl would pop loose after riding for a minute, but not anymore!

Dammit! This is an old thread..