View Full Version : Please tell me this isn't a brake fluid leak

anacron
July 28th, 2013, 07:49 PM
I have no idea where that stuff came from. I checked the pipe running to the caliper and its completely clean.

Everything else looks clean except what you see.

MNDruggist
July 28th, 2013, 07:59 PM
It looks like brake fluid to me. It might be coming out of the master brake cylinder and running down your brake lines to the low spot pictured. Crush washers can fail if the banjo bolt above the brake cylinder is over-tightened. The bad news is that brake fluid spills should be wiped up right away, it can eat through your paint very easily. If your under warrantee, have it dealer inspected so your bake will be fixed and also future paint or swingarm replacement should be covered due to the defect.

Asspire
July 28th, 2013, 08:13 PM
can we get a close up of caliper? doesn't look like brake fluid, but hard to tell. looks kinda greasy...

anacron
July 28th, 2013, 08:15 PM
can we get a close up of caliper? doesn't look like brake fluid, but hard to tell. looks kinda greasy...

Yup absolutely. It felt greasy when I touched it and wasn't a clear-yellowish color as the brake fluid looks in the reservoir.

I'll post one in a couple of minutes.

Bentley813
July 28th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Looks like grease to me.

anacron
July 28th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Its dark and my camera flash is terrible.

Smells like grease to me. I did a thorough pat down of the brake reservoir pipe - didn't feel wet spots.

The exterior of the pipe just above the suspected leak was spotless. I'll keep a close eye over the next few rides to see if its a serious problem.

Edit: Time to give it a bath...

alex.s
July 28th, 2013, 08:50 PM
it looks like ****

JohnnyBravo
July 28th, 2013, 09:23 PM
This is not the fluid of the brakes :thumbup:

Motofool
July 28th, 2013, 09:24 PM
it looks like ****

May it be that a bird visited your bike today? :) :) :)

anacron
July 28th, 2013, 09:42 PM
This is not the fluid of the brakes :thumbup:

Awesome!! Would have felt pretty down if it was a brake leak.

Especially with all of my recent "ZOMG I'm getting good at riding and treating the bike well" posts.

Thanks for the input people.

anacron
July 28th, 2013, 09:43 PM
May it be that a bird visited your bike today? :) :) :)

Quite possible. I did park outside today while doing some shopping. Must have been one greasy **** that the bird took...

JohnnyBravo
July 28th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Lots of funky things land different places on your bike, make sure ya ain't got a visible leak, clean it off, ride it some more... If it keeps doing the same thing it's a problem. if its a random bird turd, or road grime your good!

Motofool
July 28th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Quite possible. I did park outside today while doing some shopping. Must have been one greasy **** that the bird took...

If the bike was on the side stand, how could the staff flow up on the top face of the swingarm without some help "from above"? :) :) :)

anacron
July 28th, 2013, 09:51 PM
If the bike was on the side stand, how could the staff flow up on the top face of the swingarm without some help "from above"? :) :) :)

Absolutely agree! I got worried in the first place because it was such a strange location and the closest thing was the brake pipe.

BTW is brake pipe the technical term?

deeno415
July 28th, 2013, 10:16 PM

^^I believe you are referring to the 'rear brake line'...^^ ;)

Motofool
July 29th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Absolutely agree! I got worried in the first place because it was such a strange location and the closest thing was the brake pipe.

It is a hydraulic hose.

"Hydraulic hose is graded by pressure, temperature, and fluid compatibility. Hoses are used when pipes or tubes can not be used, usually to provide flexibility for machine operation or maintenance. The hose is built up with rubber and steel layers. A rubber interior is surrounded by multiple layers of woven wire and rubber. The exterior is designed for abrasion resistance...............Hydraulic hoses generally have steel fittings swaged on the ends. The weakest part of the high pressure hose is the connection of the hose to the fitting. Another disadvantage of hoses is the shorter life of rubber which requires periodic replacement, usually at five to seven year intervals."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_hose#Tubes.2C_pipes_and_hoses

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_bleeding

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid

It is commonly called brake line or brake hose.
Yours is extra protected by a rubber hose (the surface that you see).
The real brake hose can be seen at the end, where it connects to the metal fitting.

anacron
July 29th, 2013, 08:51 AM
:thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks! very informative.

jkv45
July 29th, 2013, 09:53 AM
If it was brake fluid it would most likely take the paint off when you removed it.

If you thought it was brake fluid, the first thing you would check is the fluid level in the rear mastercylinder. If it was leaking it would let air into the system and the petal would feel soft, but might change when you pumped it repeatedly.

If it didn't take the paint off, the lever feels right, and the level in the mastercylinder isn't low - it's not brake fluid.

JohnnyBravo
July 29th, 2013, 11:08 AM
:whathesaid: now ya know, and knowing is half the battle.
Where in the world is Carmen sandiego when ya have a mystery???

anacron
July 29th, 2013, 11:42 AM
:thumbup: yup, now I know. Thanks all.

Asspire
July 29th, 2013, 12:28 PM
did it taste like grease????

JohnnyBravo
July 29th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Asspire ate what?

anacron
July 29th, 2013, 02:50 PM
did it taste like grease????

Did I eat what I suspected to be brake fluid?

Nope.