View Full Version : Upgrades

beazy411
July 31st, 2013, 10:01 AM
Now that I have a little money in the bank, it's time for upgrades. I figured that I'd ask this wonderful community to choose for me so here it is.

JohnnyBravo
July 31st, 2013, 10:13 AM
Ya wanna stick better or stop better? I'd go brakes or tires first.

Alex
July 31st, 2013, 10:22 AM
I'd go tires. But I'd still get front brake pads as well. It's $35.

Snake
July 31st, 2013, 10:26 AM
I would upgrade in the same order listed above.
1. Tires
2. Suspension
3. Brakes

adouglas
July 31st, 2013, 11:31 AM
Not on the poll but I'd do AreaP exhaust and fueling before anything else. The increase in power is significant, relatively speaking. At least it was on the 250... I assume it'd be close on the 300. Really made the bike come alive.

JohnnyBravo
July 31st, 2013, 11:41 AM
Not on the poll but I'd do AreaP exhaust and fueling before anything else. The increase in power is significant, relatively speaking. At least it was on the 250... I assume it'd be close on the 300. Really made the bike come alive.

That's what I'm Savin for!

dfox
July 31st, 2013, 12:05 PM
why do you want to "upgrade" your brake lines and pads? are you tracking and experiencing fade? new pads/lines might help with initial bite and brake fade, but the true limitations to braking, such as going over the bars, or locking up the front, are still easily achievable with the stock setup.

tires would make a big difference though with the increased cornering ability.

That, or just don't buy anything now and save for more power.

beazy411
July 31st, 2013, 12:41 PM
The brake upgrades are because I am planning on tracking the bike and I just don't like how they feel now.

Whilst I would love to get the AreaP setup, by the time everything is said and done with that, fuel controller and intake that is ~$1000. Besides, cops don't notice quiet bikes as much...

lgk
July 31st, 2013, 12:47 PM
tires and brakes first.

then if you're going to get springs you might as well get the emulators too.

dfox
July 31st, 2013, 12:52 PM
The brake upgrades are because I am planning on tracking the bike and I just don't like how they feel now.

:thumbup:

if you plan to track, I'd upgrade the brakes. If you weren't planning on tracking, brakes are a waste of money imo. They're more than adequate for most people (likely rojo excluded) on the street.

beazy411
July 31st, 2013, 01:01 PM
tires and brakes first.

then if you're going to get springs you might as well get the emulators too.

When I called RaceTech that's what they said too, but those are $169 and I would end up doing those with the springs since everything would be opened up anyway.

lgk
July 31st, 2013, 01:13 PM
When I called RaceTech that's what they said too, but those are $169 and I would end up doing those with the springs since everything would be opened up anyway.

make the effort to save the money and do them.
it makes the bike feel a lot better.

Alex
July 31st, 2013, 01:17 PM
if you plan to track, I'd upgrade the brakes. If you weren't planning on tracking, brakes are a waste of money imo. They're more than adequate for most people (likely rojo excluded) on the street.

I feel that's true for the 250, not as much for the 300. The 250 came with much better pads stock. The 300's pads aren't great. Switching just the pads out for a more aggressive compound (similar to the 250's) is a cheap and easy upgrade; $35 if you put the pads in yourself.

Upgrading to steel lines, a new master, new rotor, new caliper(s); all of that can take brake performance to whatever level is desired. But a cheap pad upgrade is just that, so cheap, that debating whether or not to do it is a very easy decision.

alex.s
July 31st, 2013, 01:52 PM
tires and springs at the same time. then brakes

Sirref
July 31st, 2013, 02:09 PM
Upgrading to steel lines

pardon the ignorance, but just how big of an improvement is SS brake lines? I keep reading about it everywhere but I have no idea what the actual benefit of it is

xSean13
July 31st, 2013, 02:18 PM
599cc sport bike. You'll thank me later.

Alex
July 31st, 2013, 02:43 PM
pardon the ignorance, but just how big of an improvement is SS brake lines? I keep reading about it everywhere but I have no idea what the actual benefit of it is

IMO - it's a minimal to moderate improvement in brake lever feel. Older brake lines tended to swell a bit, which made brake lever feel more squishy or variable than preferred. A steel line doesn't change shape nearly as much (or at all), making the action at the lever less variable compared to the pressure at the caliper end.

But if you cut open a brake line, the inside is already pretty stiff, with a rubber outside coating; it's not like a standard brake line is simple rubber like an overflow tube. Going from a well-bled brake system with a normal line and a well-bled brake system with a SS line shouldn't be night and day difference anymore, and I suspect that much of the improvement people feel when they go to SS lines is that fact that the system has to bled perfectly when it is installed. In some ways, similar to how new tires always feel better than old tires, sometimes making people think the brand/type of new tire is superior to the brand/type of old tire, when the differences are more closely tied to the condition/wear of the two items/systems.

Sirref
July 31st, 2013, 02:57 PM
thank you alex, with that said it's not really a priority part to get and just a nice upgrade when the brake lines start getting a little old or worn. probably somewhere between 5 and 10 thousand miles

beazy411
July 31st, 2013, 02:58 PM
599cc sport bike. You'll thank me later.

I might thank you later, and so would my insurance company, my wallet most certainly would not.

xSean13
July 31st, 2013, 03:06 PM
I might thank you later, and so would my insurance company, my wallet most certainly would not.

I'm pretty sure you paid more for your 300 than it would cost you for a pretty decent used sport bike. Only paid $300 more for my 600rr with 8k miles than I sold my ninja for, which had 8k miles and a cracked fairing.

Trailerboy531
July 31st, 2013, 03:40 PM
If you want to go to the track then you need good tires. They are, first a foremost, the most important "upgrade" or "mod" you can do to your bike. Get the Pirellis. In line with what Alex said I'd also get new brake pads.