View Full Version : Where did you find your 250?

BradtheAg
March 3rd, 2009, 08:46 AM
Used on Ebay or craigslist? New at the dealership? On a message board? Any others I'm forgetting?

These things are pretty hard to find used down here in Dallas from what I can tell, anyone know of a good website to find used bikes?

islanderman7
March 3rd, 2009, 09:11 AM
craigslist

Took me a long time to find one in the color and price that I wanted. So don't feel discouraged.

BlueTyke
March 3rd, 2009, 09:13 AM
Dealership :)

Nemy
March 3rd, 2009, 09:30 AM
Not sure how much these apply in the states, but you also have:

kijiji
autotrader

no local motorcycle forum where you live?

xTKx
March 3rd, 2009, 09:37 AM
Hey Brad, try this link (http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cpmoto&itm=kawasaki&loc=TX&fil=250&ys=2008&ye=2009&submit=++++go++++) for more listings. I only see a couple Craigslist postings in Dallas, but jaxed.com is what I've been using to keep a look out for used bikes in my area. Hope this helps a little...

(Just adjust the URL or the search criteria to your liking if needed)

grandmaster
March 3rd, 2009, 10:02 AM
I found mine on a free classifieds section that KSL news puts on there website. Some chick used to own it......she got lucky so i got lucky ahhah

BradtheAg
March 3rd, 2009, 10:14 AM
great link xTKx, thanks

athimmel
March 3rd, 2009, 10:21 AM
Dealership. Actually, I found them at two different dealers nearby, but one wanted $600 more than the other.

NJD022588
March 3rd, 2009, 12:16 PM
Dealer. Just had to wait about 5 weeks though.

Anyone know if they are still hard to come by at dealers?

ninjabrewer
March 3rd, 2009, 01:02 PM
From the friend that talked me into getting a motorcycle, then sold me his, so he could get a HD.

nb

kkim
March 3rd, 2009, 01:08 PM
brand new from a dealer.

islanderman7
March 3rd, 2009, 02:02 PM
Awesome link Tony. Man I wish I knew about this sooner.

BradtheAg
March 3rd, 2009, 02:15 PM

i should clarify that i'm looking for a used one specifically.

zeroth
March 3rd, 2009, 02:59 PM
Craigslist. Tried cycletrader.com too ... has some listings in my area, but craigslist has more.

Viper-Byte
March 3rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
Dealer here as well.

noche_caliente
March 3rd, 2009, 04:37 PM
got mine new at a dealer after bailing on my first dealer who had my deposit for 2 months, and spending the afternoon on the phone to find another dealer who had one - I actually found 2, but the second one was red - my last color choice - and $400 more....

Ninjabunny
March 3rd, 2009, 05:59 PM
Local classified website.

gainesville4sale.com

It seems like a place like Dallas should have a similar site.

jpnfrk
March 3rd, 2009, 09:37 PM
Craiglist, got it from a guy that was selling two 250's (one his, the other his ex-girlfriend's) to make payments on his new Ninja 650...

What sealed the deal is that he had the extended Kawasaki warranty on it good until 2011. IMHO, if you buy it used you might want to check that. :2cents:

xTKx
March 4th, 2009, 08:10 AM
great link xTKx, thanks

Awesome link Tony. Man I wish I knew about this sooner.

No problem gentlemen, anytime! :D

You know, my local dealer has had some trouble keeping them in inventory, but when I went yesterday and late last week, they had all colors in stock. The lady on the sales floor I briefly spoke to said they expect to keep a decent inventory now (for reasons that I didn't fully understand). Something about Kawasaki "restrictions" and "the 250's being released." :confused: Anyway, apparently it's supposed to be good news no matter how you look at it.

camaroz1985
March 4th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Dealer for me too.

OldGuy
March 4th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Craig's List for the my used '01 and then a dealership (not local though) for the '09. The dealer told me that Kawasaki "told" him how many he was getting and he could not take less even though he isn't sure he can move that many in his area this year with this economy.

Shop around and don't be afraid to look outside your area. This may become a buyers market yet. You can get bikes delivered to you and sometimes you can do better even with that cost added if you look hard enough.

BlueTyke
March 4th, 2009, 09:38 AM
i should clarify that i'm looking for a used one specifically.

Don't discount the dealerships so quickly. Some of them do consignments (selling for a private party which are usually used) as well as selling trade ins (not highly likely but it happens)

xTKx
March 4th, 2009, 11:36 AM
The guys at my local dealership seem pretty cool. They've answered all my questions with ease and detailed explanations.

^ And they do that also! ^

BradtheAg
March 4th, 2009, 12:55 PM
there's a kawi dealership about two miles from my office so I went by a few weeks ago. i was pretty much ignored and it really pissed me off. maybe I'll give them another try.
Posted via Mobile Device

kkim
March 4th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I wish I could walk into a bike dealership and be ignored. Salesmen on commission are a real PITA. :mad:

Consider yourself fortunate that you could browse in peace. I'm sure if you asked someone for help, you wouldn't be able to get rid of them afterwards. You did ask for help, didn't you? :)

athimmel
March 4th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Really liked the dealership I went to. MDK Motorsports in Folsom, CA. Great people who made things very easy for me.

BradtheAg
March 4th, 2009, 01:21 PM
You did ask for help, didn't you? :)

yeah. as soon as i mentioned used i became invisible. having sold cars to put food on the table during college i have very little tolerance for ****** salesmen.

that experience has kept me from going back but i want a 250 more than i hate morons so i'll try again.
Posted via Mobile Device

BlueTyke
March 4th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I was ignored at the dealership I picked my bike up. Funny thing is though they came up to Phil and he glared at them and told them I was the one looking and they were all apologetic... Though I kind of chalked it up to them not being used to women actually looking at sport bikes. Now if I had been over looking at the Rebel they had... That might be different.

Viper-Byte
March 4th, 2009, 01:50 PM
The dealer I got my bike from is known to my family, as my Grandfather buys all his quads for his farm from this dealer, so we have got a good relationship.

xTKx
March 4th, 2009, 02:49 PM
yeah. as soon as i mentioned used i became invisible. having sold cars to put food on the table during college i have very little tolerance for ****** salesmen.

that experience has kept me from going back but i want a 250 more than i hate morons so i'll try again.
Posted via Mobile Device

LOL! :happy:

You know, at first, I honestly felt a little ignored from the guys at my dealer too. I was clearly checking out the 250's and no one came to me, I had to approach them. Immediately I made a judgement about them, but the more I asked the more comfortable I felt, and as it turns out, the two guys that have been helping me out are actually pretty cool. :p

I can definitely feel for where you're coming from, but IMO, I think you should try to give them another shot... :happy100:

TonyKZ1
March 4th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I bought mine used, the guy had listed it on craigslist and another 250 site.

jpnfrk
March 4th, 2009, 06:38 PM
This thread's subject would make a nice poll... :D

voodoomaster
March 5th, 2009, 05:15 AM
My little boy! This blue beast just wasn't cool enough for an 18 year old. He had to have a ZX6R. Instead of trading up for another missile, I decided to buy it from him! My sweet little Yamaha cruzer , deep cherry red and just my size, needed a little sister anyway.......so....now I have two bikes, 3 road bicycles, and a Turbo Beetle. :D

Realirony
March 5th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Found mine on Craigs, an '08. I had contacted atleast 12 other Ads for their 250R and they had all been sold within 6 days of posting >.< Finally found a college kid that couldnt keep his anymore due to injuries from football. These bikes are in high demand D=

Rynownd
March 5th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Craigslist

Found it in Bedford, IN

Sailariel
March 5th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I went to the Kawasaki website and got a list of all the dealers in Maine and New Hampshire. Printed the list, and started calling. That was in June 08. Found a green (Dealer Special Edition--very ugly graphics for $150 over MSRP. It is in the Picture Section under Monster Graphics. It was the only bike in both Maine and NH. I bought the bike that day and removed the graphics with a hair dryer. We have a dealer who is closer in Ellsworth, ME, who has been around for a long time, and has four separate buildings. Service Dept.,Parts, Clothing and Acessories, and Showroom.

G250RSC
March 5th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Dealership...Called down there and they where pulling 5 new on off the truck. Drove 5 miles to the dealership and they had one left..Green..so I bought it. This was July of 08.

aloh
March 5th, 2009, 01:56 PM
craigslist.

ARc
March 5th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I got mine off Craigslist. Not many dealers I know have EX250's that go less than $2000. I got mine for $1,800, but still feel like I could have gotten it for lower, haha.

CupcakeNinja
March 5th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Got my '08 250 on Craigs. It was love at first sight. ...She's been lowered by prev owner for shorty grl like me :)

komohana
March 7th, 2009, 04:17 PM
i was initially looking for something in the 750cc and above range, used, with oh...about $3k to play with, so was hunting craigslist and local paper when i noticed a 250 for $1,500 on the website of a local radio station that lists what people call in to sell during a 'trade radio' program they air. the name it was listed under plus the bike and phone number made me realize that this was my landlord who several months ago mentioned he was selling his wife's ninja 250 for $3,200 or something like this. read this at work and came home to find landlord on property and so asked him about it.
1,800 miles
$1,500 ?!?!
+test ride = :becky:
SOLD!
:ride:

Purspeed
March 7th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Craigslist

Had a deposit with Advanced Kawasaki in Anaheim, CA (great owner), but they couldn't get my bike in time.

jpnfrk
March 7th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Couldn't help myself and had to do some stats, here's what we have so far:

Dealership: 13
Craiglist: 12
Other: 5

So far so good... :thumbup:

00v_Lucky
March 7th, 2009, 11:30 PM
Update on the list

Dealership: 13
Craiglist: 12
Other: 5

Stealership: 1

GreezMunky
March 9th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Bought both my bike and my husbands from a dealership. Paid in full for my bike Sept 08 and picked him up 23 Oct 08. Paid in full for my husbands bike very end of Dec 08 and his bike just came in end of Feb 09. Granted the reasons we got our bikes so quick after we paid for them was because we had deposits on them all the way back in July/Aug 08..

BradtheAg
March 10th, 2009, 11:36 AM
went back to the dealership today. the salesman i talked to was pretty nice but he also sold me very hard on getting a 600cc bike. he spoke highly of the 250 as a beginner bike but said he thought i would get bored with the lack of power quickly, which is a big concern i already had. i love the idea of starting with such an easy bike to learn on with the 250...but i'm also somewhat addicted to HP and when he started up the zx-6r i was hooked. i left more the dealership more confused than when i got there.

kkim
March 10th, 2009, 11:39 AM
he started it up and you were hooked on the HP? :D

I think he saw one when you came walking through the door. It's their plan to sell you a more expensive bike after selling you the 250. He's just testing you to see how gullible you are. Learn to ride the 250 and when you are sure it is holding back your superior riding abilities, then move up to the 600. :)

BradtheAg
March 10th, 2009, 11:44 AM
yeah i definitely understand the upsell process...its that just i had already had these same concerns before i talked to him. i read today that the bike does 0-60 in 7.5. my z06 did it in 3.9. i am just not sure it will be enough bike. i worry about being scared to get on the highway with it or just being underwhelmed and disappointed with the performance in general.

on the other hand i've never even ridden a motorcycle before so i really have no idea what it's like.

kkim
March 10th, 2009, 11:49 AM
if all you are looking for is straight line speed, you bought the wrong bike. I recommend a busa. :)

If you value a light, highly maneuverable bike that can attain a high entry and exit speed through a turn, then you have the right bike. Have you done any high speed cornering yet with your bike? If not, you have not ridden the bike at all close to it's potential and I suggest you learn how to first before "moving up".

BradtheAg
March 10th, 2009, 11:51 AM
i've never ridden any motorcycle ever.

Alex
March 10th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Though they both run on gasoline, a motorcycle and an automobile aren't nearly as similar as some might assume. What makes motorcycles so entertaining for those that are into speed and control, is that their power is almost irrelevant to the entire experience. It's also what makes most motorcycle racing so much more interesting to watch than most forms of car racing. On bikes, it really is 90% rider performance, 10% bike performance. In cars, the ratio is pretty much flipped. Want to go fast in a car on the street? Stomp the gas pedal and steer. Might be loud, might be fun, might even be entertaining. But it certainly isn't a display of any skill. Even "fast driving" on twisty roads takes very little skill in a car.

On a bike all of that changes. An unskilled rider on a GSX-R1000 with 160+ hp will be embarassed every time by a skilled rider on a Ninja 250 with 26 hp, as long as the road isn't perfectly straight and level for as far as the eye can see. The real and lasting thrills on a bike aren't from drag racing, or tucking down and going 180 mph. For one thing, going fast in a straight line doesn't really prove much to anyone who's into bikes. Any schmuck with $5K can pick up a used literbike (or even a 600) and hit 150 mph faster than any car on the road in a straight line. Doesn't mean anything. It won't give you the rush you're looking for, all you'll remember is that guy you saw pulling away from you on a twisty road on a 20 year old piece of crap bike while you were giving everything you had on a theoretically much more capable bike. It's about the handling. It's about getting the most out of a machine. It's fun. We promise.

kkim
March 10th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Dammit... something's wrong here... Alex and I agree on something. :p

BradtheAg
March 10th, 2009, 12:06 PM
that makes sense alex. i see you also own a zx-10r. which of the two bikes do you prefer to ride?

its pretty hard to shop for a product you've never used before so excuse my ignorance on all this. i was dead set on the 250 before i walked in to that dealership. now i'm completely conflicted.

Alex
March 10th, 2009, 12:17 PM
I put more miles on the 250 this past year than the ZX-10R. They both have their place, but more often than not, I have more fun on the 250 on the street. I take the 10R out from time to time on the street, but it's mostly my trackbike. It's much more taxing to ride quickly on the street than the 250, and while that has its own appeal, sometimes I'm not in the mood for that.

The 250 teaches a rider how to hold corner speed, how to use momentum, how to keep a bike in the proper gear, teaches cornering lines, all of that. It's also a very forgiving bike. It allows for a rider to make small errors without those errors coming back immediately to smack them in the face. I'm most specifically talking about throttle control here. What happens if you unintentionally give more throttle than planned on a 250, perhaps if you hit a bump in the road while on a turn, or if your hand jerks a bit because you weren't concentrating? Very little. What happens if you make the same error on a bike with 4+ times the power? Well, a bunch of things could happen, from the rear wheel spinning up and stepping out, the front end getting light or even lifting, or even just unintended acceleration that spooks a new rider and causes them to run wide.

Aside from the accommodations for small newbie errors, it's often more fun for experienced riders to wring out a bike rather than using a small fraction of the capabilities of another bike. It's fun to redline a bike in 4 gears and realize that you're still not breaking the law much. My 10R nudges 100 mph in 1st gear, and has 5 more gears. Entertaining on the track, but just silly on the street. It's fun to keep up with much more powerful bikes on the 250. I know I'm doing more with less, it takes focus, and it's terribly entertaining.

Look, nobody's telling you to never get a powerful bike. And even as we type these things out, we know there's a good chance you'll ignore it anyway and buy whatever catches your fancy in the showroom. But what we are telling you now is something you'll learn eventually on your own one way or another, if you do end up getting a bike and growing into an experienced rider.

BradtheAg
March 10th, 2009, 12:23 PM
i can't really argue with any of that. i decided on the 250 in the first place because all i read about it was that it was the perfect beginner bike. i probably just got carried away today because the zx-6r was so damn gorgeous. and LOUD.

as for ignoring what you're saying, i value the advice given on this board very much so nothing you say is falling on deaf ears. i trust the opinions of the people on this board who have been there and done that more than a salesman who sees me as a big fat commission. that salesman is trying to put food on the table whereas the people here are here because they love motorcycles, i get that. and that's why i post here and ask these questions :thumbup:

Alex
March 10th, 2009, 12:32 PM
No worries, and we won't fault you terribly if you do end up with the 6. It's a terribly sexy bike. At least from 2008 on, the ninjette-philes finally have some aesthetics to go along with the rest of the little bike's virtues. Imagine how hard it was 2 years ago to try and convince a newbie who's never ridden before why the 2007 and earlier 250r was a better bike for them than that sexy-looking new sportbike next to it in the showroom. (Please don't take offense, 1st-gen owners, remember I owned one as well; but it was designed in the early 80's and had zero cosmetic updates for almost 20 years, of course it's going to look a little dated).

jpnfrk
March 10th, 2009, 06:10 PM
No worries, and we won't fault you terribly if you do end up with the 6. It's a terribly sexy bike. At least from 2008 on, the ninjette-philes finally have some aesthetics to go along with the rest of the little bike's virtues. Imagine how hard it was 2 years ago to try and convince a newbie who's never ridden before why the 2007 and earlier 250r was a better bike for them than that sexy-looking new sportbike next to it in the showroom. (Please don't take offense, 1st-gen owners, remember I owned one as well; but it was designed in the early 80's and had zero cosmetic updates for almost 20 years, of course it's going to look a little dated).

I am biased because I have a 2007 model so I naturally have to disagree with you. Maybe it's the color scheme on my darling moto, but it doesn't look outdated to me at all... :lol:

Anyways...

Brad, have you taken the MSF course yet?

voodoomaster
March 10th, 2009, 06:36 PM

Yo Ag from Texas. Over the years I have owned quite a few motor powered bikes. Most recently I have owned, and still own a 2008 250 Ninja (Mrs. Sweetness), a 2007 Yamaha Virago Cruiser (Plum Beauty), and a 2008 ZX6R ( Kid Killing Machine). Many of the local Air Force newbies here in Tucson buy 600s/1000s and end up prone on the highway, not trying to be morbid - just factual. The Insurance is frightful as well. I wound up "selling" the ZX6R very recently to a relative because of the logistics and the cost of the insurance.....long story. Anyway, nobody can twist that kool under-tail exhaust rumble and visual beauty of the ZX6R aero-lines from your brain via the Forum. I know the agony......NO NEED TO ASK ME ME HOW I KNOW..:mad::D:D.
In the long run, the insurance angle should grab your attention and squeeze.......if it doesn't grab something else and squeeze first! I am actually GLAD I unloaded the 600 because it was just too large, heavy and expensive to maintain (all those fuel injected pistons add up to an expensive maintenance bill at the dealership if you can't perform the important scheduled maintenance yourself). Long story short Aggi...consider that sexy machine, but consider all the added non-sexy baggage costs that go with it. I can pretty much maintain both of my other motorcycles in my garage with the service manual, my Craftsman tools, and the help from this Forum. My relative can't with the ZX6R because of the magnitude and complexity of that engine....it is a nightmare in my opinion. :ballchain:

sm0kediver
March 10th, 2009, 06:38 PM
My first Ninja I found on Craigs List.

The current one came from a dealership.

Suey250
March 10th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Dealership only cause I got a good deal.

djpharoah
March 10th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Bought my ninja 250 from a senior citizen (Craigslist) who wanted to get back into riding. However he said he didn't have the stomach or balance for it anymore especially the way people drive now. He had bought it and it had done only 8 miles when I picked it up. In hindsight I did pay a lot for it but it was at the peak of the gas price war here in SoCal where ninja250 prices were soo inflated that you could get a cbr f4 for the same price.

BradtheAg
March 11th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Brad, have you taken the MSF course yet?

not yet. soon hopefully.

BradtheAg
March 11th, 2009, 09:54 AM
In the long run, the insurance angle should grab your attention and squeeze.......if it doesn't grab something else and squeeze first! I am actually GLAD I unloaded the 600 because it was just too large, heavy and expensive to maintain (all those fuel injected pistons add up to an expensive maintenance bill at the dealership if you can't perform the important scheduled maintenance yourself). Long story short Aggi...consider that sexy machine, but consider all the added non-sexy baggage costs that go with it. I can pretty much maintain both of my other motorcycles in my garage with the service manual, my Craftsman tools, and the help from this Forum. My relative can't with the ZX6R because of the magnitude and complexity of that engine....it is a nightmare in my opinion. :ballchain:

thanks for pointing this out. the whole reason i am getting rid of the z06 is that its an enormous ass pain to deal with. i don't want to jump back in to another toy that will be the same thing (a giant money pit).

at this point i'm just really anxious to get this process started. i ordered "proficient motorcycling" from amazon. yesterday they shipped me "more proficient motorcycling" instead. i was disappointed and considered sending it back, but instead i read about ~140 pages of it last night.

xTKx
March 11th, 2009, 09:57 AM
First of all Brad, I'd highly, highly encourage you to take the MSF course. Like you, I myself had little to no experience with street bikes. The course is a much needed confidence booster and will teach you ALOT about handling and safety.

Second of all, as said before, I think you'll have a lot of fun on the 250's. As my first ride just yesterday, I had a lot of fun on the curves (almost drug a knee for the first time...unintentionally :o). Honestly, if you go with the 250, I don't think you'll have a single regret...

Just my $.02

Alex
March 11th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I am biased because I have a 2007 model so I naturally have to disagree with you. Maybe it's the color scheme on my darling moto, but it doesn't look outdated to me at all... :lol:

Your bike looks great! :thumbup:

hogfan83
March 11th, 2009, 03:27 PM
i was looking for a used one but all the prices i found were not worth not knowing how it had been treated..bucked up and paid the extra $500-$700 bucks for a brand new one with full warranty and 2 miles on it

jpnfrk
March 17th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Okies after being gone for some time, felt like I had to run some numbers again:

Craiglist:15
Dealership:17
Other:5

And according to Howard...

Stealership: 1

I'd say get a used one if it has an extended warranty... mine goes all the way to 2011 and all I had to pay was $25 to transfer it to my name. :D

Your bike looks great! :thumbup:
Thanks Alex!! :p

Strider
March 18th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Barely used on eBay
Drove over and saw it, had a fit, bid , won!
Got it from a great guy in Charlotte who took killer care of it.
Now it's MINE !