View Full Version : LED fender elim kit gone wrong!

IndyFace
August 8th, 2013, 07:32 PM
ok, so! i bought a FEK made specifically for the 2013 ninja 300. i installed in and all was great except the turn signals would light up and stay on, they wouldnt flash. (the kit included the license plate light and led turn signal pods for the back) i didnt change the front signals at all. so somebody suggested that i get a relay kit so i pulled up what kind to get. i came across the EL12 from autozone so off to autozone i go. make the purchase, head home, take the bike apart to access the stock relay.

now here comes the fun part... i take the stock relay off, plug in the new one, turn the bike on and no lights. so i unplug the new one and plug the old one back in. hey guess what, still no lights :mad: so i basically said eff it and put everything back together to "close up shop" for the night. i have brake lights when the front and back brakes are applied. i have headlights when the bike is running. but i have no tail lights, no license plate light, and no turn signals (even steady on like before) at all. WHAT THE F**K HAPPENED?!

any suggestions on what to try next? did i maybe blow a fuse? did i fry something? im so frustrated im nearly in tears because all ive wanted to do was ride and its been raining every single day so i decided to install the kit in the meantime and now its going to be nice saturday and i cant even ride!

please help! (private messaging me may be better because im new to this forum and am still getting used to replies and such)

csmith12
August 8th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Welcome Indy!

Rotten luck, maybe someone will chime in to assist soon.

Klondike1020
August 8th, 2013, 08:36 PM
I dont think you did any real damage.

What kit did you install?

Check your fuses.

when you run LED signal lights it changes the resistance on the stock turn signal relay which will make it blink faster or stick on etc.

you have to buy an after market turn signal blinker relay that is designed to be used with LEDs

Also - the combination of standard filament bulbs in the front with LEDs in the back may be a problem.

You are still using the original tail light?

and confirm that if you bought a kit made for your bike.... no wires were cut or electrical taped ! lol

Check your fuses. and determine if the blinker relay that you purchased is compatible with LEDs- Then find a smart friend that is an electrical engineer and have him explain the difference in resistance between the setups !

Grishbok
August 8th, 2013, 08:39 PM
ok, so! i bought a FEK made specifically for the 2013 ninja 300. i installed in and all was great except the turn signals would light up and stay on, they wouldnt flash.
Indicates the circuit was broken, as if one of the lights was unplugged. After you installed the autozone relay, a fuse may have blown. Check the fuses and check for any disconnected or broken wires or wire connections. trace the wires. If you put it all back to stock as it came from the factory, check the fuses, and still have an issue, time to break out the multimeter.

Also, side note, make sure you disconnect the battery when working with the elctronics to prevent fuse pops and other potential circuit issues.

IndyFace
August 8th, 2013, 09:06 PM
Indicates the circuit was broken, as if one of the lights was unplugged. After you installed the autozone relay, a fuse may have blown. Check the fuses and check for any disconnected or broken wires or wire connections. trace the wires. If you put it all back to stock as it came from the factory, check the fuses, and still have an issue, time to break out the multimeter.

Also, side note, make sure you disconnect the battery when working with the elctronics to prevent fuse pops and other potential circuit issues.

i didnt think to disconnect the battery because i thought i was safe because i simply had the bike off. will do next time. the fuses are incased next to the battery right? (im still learning where everything is on the bike because im used to cars, not tiny bikes haha)

Grishbok
August 8th, 2013, 11:26 PM
i didnt think to disconnect the battery because i thought i was safe because i simply had the bike off. will do next time. the fuses are incased next to the battery right? (im still learning where everything is on the bike because im used to cars, not tiny bikes haha)

Yep, right behind the battery, youll see a rectangular black box with white writing on it, pop the cover to that and youll see your fuses right there.

LittleRedNinjette
August 9th, 2013, 02:33 AM
My boyfriend had almost the same thing happen to him when he put LED lights on his Buell. It wound up being a fuse marked "accaserry", go figure that one. I wouldn't call those lights an accessory.

Also make sure the relay is "Heavy Duty".

And :welcome: to the site!

IndyFace
August 9th, 2013, 06:01 AM
My boyfriend had almost the same thing happen to him when he put LED lights on his Buell. It wound up being a fuse marked "accaserry", go figure that one. I wouldn't call those lights an accessory.

Also make sure the relay is "Heavy Duty".

And :welcome: to the site!

That is so specific that I'm going to happily tear everything apart later and check that fuse first! Lol. I will be going back to autozone today to return the relay and hopefully get the second one that was recommended to me. I would've gotten that one the first time but they didn't have any in stock. :-/. And what do you mean by heavy duty? Like the casing to it? Thanks again guys I thought my life was over for a while last night! :bangdesk:

LittleRedNinjette
August 9th, 2013, 06:19 AM
That is so specific that I'm going to happily tear everything apart later and check that fuse first! Lol. I will be going back to autozone today to return the relay and hopefully get the second one that was recommended to me. I would've gotten that one the first time but they didn't have any in stock. :-/. And what do you mean by heavy duty? Like the casing to it? Thanks again guys I thought my life was over for a while last night! :bangdesk:

It should say heavy duty on the package. Mine was a round one with a metal casing (they may have one with a plastic casing). I can get the numbers off of mine tonight when i get home if you need it, maybe a pic. :thumbup:

beazy411
August 9th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Make sure you did not get a thermal relay, they don't play well with LED lights unless you have the resistor to fake the load that an incandesant light would have. Once you have the right relay, double check the wireing to it. I had to revers the wires coming from the bike into the relay on mine when I did a full LED conversion on the bike. Check superbrightleds.com and they can point you in the right direction for the relay.

IndyFace
August 9th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Make sure you did not get a thermal relay, they don't play well with LED lights unless you have the resistor to fake the load that an incandesant light would have. Once you have the right relay, double check the wireing to it. I had to revers the wires coming from the bike into the relay on mine when I did a full LED conversion on the bike. Check superbrightleds.com and they can point you in the right direction for the relay.

I didn't get a thermal relay, I checked that first and I want to stay away from resisters bc they heat up like mad. I've seen them melt wiring and stuff, no thanks. Lol. Once we took the resister out of his bike (after it happening twice and replacing all the stuff it damaged) all of the sudden everything was fine so we know it was that.

IndyFace
August 9th, 2013, 09:07 AM
It should say heavy duty on the package. Mine was a round one with a metal casing (they may have one with a plastic casing). I can get the numbers off of mine tonight when i get home if you need it, maybe a pic. :thumbup:

If its not too much of a hassle for you to do that, that would be amazing! Mine is round and a thick plastic casing. (Just checked the package and it does say heavy duty). The numbers are el12. The other option was the fl32.

IndyFace
August 10th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Well, I got it fixed up, I blew a fuse. Unhooked all wires and reattached, now I blink! Lol! Thanks again for all of the help. You guys are awesome

LittleRedNinjette
August 10th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Happy to hear you got it working!! :)

BlueRaven
August 10th, 2013, 07:48 AM
good to hear :thumbup: