View Full Version : Is the 300 really ready for USA ?

eddiekay
August 11th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Long story short is that I'll prob take delivery on a 300 Saturday.
Coming off the flawless 250 I'm really disappointed to see that the 300 comes complete with some known probs . Two serious enough that there are recalls.
The first prob I saw on this board was plastics that didnt fit tight. Not a deal breaker.
Still...Kawi....dont make believe you didnt know about this.
Then I read about the ECU prob....and the recall.
Next the ABS prob....and recall ( which I'm not sure has taken effect)
And there seems to be consistent probs with the steering head bearings deteriorating, dangerously, at about 1000 miles. From what I read...the dealers cant really fix it because they just put back the same Kawi parts( ball bearings) and they wont fix under warranty if you supply your own roller bearings.
The 300 board is my source for this info and, in spite of all the hard work the dealer did locating a 300 for me and selling it to me very cheap....look...I dont want a bike to fix...I want a bike to ride. OPinions form 300 owners ?

Joshorilla
August 11th, 2013, 03:18 PM
It's shite

jnninja250r
August 11th, 2013, 03:23 PM
It's still the first year, recalls will happen. The 2008 models had a few as well.

fishdip
August 11th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Long story short is that I'll prob take delivery on a 300 Saturday.
Coming off the flawless 250 I'm really disappointed to see that the 300 comes complete with some known probs . Two serious enough that there are recalls.
The first prob I saw on this board was plastics that didnt fit tight. Not a deal breaker.
Still...Kawi....dont make believe you didnt know about this.
Then I read about the ECU prob....and the recall.
Next the ABS prob....and recall ( which I'm not sure has taken effect)
And there seems to be consistent probs with the steering head bearings deteriorating, dangerously, at about 1000 miles. From what I read...the dealers cant really fix it because they just put back the same Kawi parts( ball bearings) and they wont fix under warranty if you supply your own roller bearings.
The 300 board is my source for this info and, in spite of all the hard work the dealer did locating a 300 for me and selling it to me very cheap....look...I dont want a bike to fix...I want a bike to ride. OPinions form 300 owners ?

You get what you are paying 4,700 is cheap for any motorcycle. If you don't want this then get a 636.

Bentley813
August 11th, 2013, 03:52 PM
I can live with a slight fairing gap only I will notice. I have not been affected by the ECU problems, but will get it replaced anyways. It's not a big deal.

ninjamunky85
August 11th, 2013, 03:56 PM
The problems your hearing about are gonna be exaggerated on the forums. Everyone who has a problem is going to post about it. The people who aren't having trouble are a lot less likely to post.

I haven't had any problems with the fairings popping out, no problems with the brakes, and have only had it stall a few times. I'm getting the ECU replaced anyway, because Kawasaki stands behind their products.

Buy a bigger bike if you want, it's cool, but know that the 300 is a great bike.

Alex
August 11th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Everyone who has a gripe gets online. Those who don't aren't as likely to make sure everyone knows they aren't having any problems. For what it's worth, our 300 has been A-OK from day 1, other than not liking the stock brake pads.

Search for CDI threads if you want to hear about new-gen 250 problems. Or tank holes if you want to hear about pre-gen 250 problems. :thumbup:

/moved to 300 general discussion.

Somchai
August 11th, 2013, 06:43 PM
fishdip u must be rich since 4700 USD seams to be nothing for you.

ninjamunky85 I'm not so sure if Kwaki really stands behind their products since in Germany they are very quiet. One difference between USA and Germany is, when an accident happens in Germany they don't have to pay like in USA. And also are sure the quality from a bigger bike would be better? For a company nowadays the shareholder value is important and nothing else.

eddiekay your thoughts are absolute right.

fishdip
August 11th, 2013, 06:51 PM

ninjamunky85 I'm not so sure if Kwaki really stands behind their products since in Germany they are very quiet. One difference between USA and Germany is, when an accident happens in Germany they don't have to pay like in USA. And also are sure the quality from a bigger bike would be better? For a company nowadays the shareholder value is important and nothing else.

eddiekay your thoughts are absolute right.

For a new vehicle in the USA it is cheap to any one.

ninjamunky85
August 11th, 2013, 07:00 PM
It's shite

u must be rich since 4700 USD seams to be nothing for you.

I'm not so sure if Kwaki really stands behind their products since in Germany they are very quiet. One difference between USA and Germany is, when an accident happens in Germany they don't have to pay like in USA. And also are sure the quality from a bigger bike would be better? For a company nowadays the shareholder value is important and nothing else.

your thoughts are absolute right.

Funny how the ones who don't even own a 300 talk bad about it, Jealous?

For a new vehicle in the USA it is cheap to any one.

I bought mine with cash. :thumbup:

fishdip
August 11th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Funny how the ones who don't even own a 300 talk bad about it, Jeaous?

I bought mine with cash. :thumbup:

I got 2 with cash:D

eddiekay
August 11th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Alex....you're not the first guy to make that comment. The boards definitely give people a place to piss Still....smoke....fire ?
I already ordered the bearing kit from HR guessing that the problem is coming sooner or later. Winter would be good.My fast guy guru already told me to pack her up with grease the day I get her and ....wait and see what happens. At $4600 I did good enough to spend some time and money...right ? The comments about money, y k'now....all relative...
My point was whether or not the 300 was ready for USA where we beat the daylights out of our bikes and pay mechanics $95 an hour to fix them or really, whether or not Kawi was just so anxious to give Honda a slap that they sold a bike they hadn't finished. Anyhow...the bike is coming, I got the bearing kit and the 300 board has a well done DIY on the subject.

Alex
August 11th, 2013, 07:52 PM
AFAIK, the steering head bearings are the same bearing that they've used on the pre-gen and new-gen 250's. Old3 changed his out and used the exact same recommendations that 250's have been upgrading theirs with for years. They are no more or less fragile than anything we've played with for decades. When it comes down to it, the 300 was far more evolutionary from the 250 than revolutionary, so it's not like there are thousands of new parts/technologies that need ironing out. I'm not terribly excited about the ECU recall, but I wonder how many bikes are actually affected with the problem. Clearly some on this site are, but it seems that most aren't. :idunno:

eddiekay
August 11th, 2013, 08:06 PM
I read old3's thread on the 300 site with great interest. I t was followed by a pic packed diy and...no mechanic that I am...I think I can do the fix myself.

JohnnyBravo
August 11th, 2013, 09:11 PM
I love my 300, wouldn't trade it for the best 250. May buy a new new 300 before to long... If one is good two is better, an I'd rather not track my daily ride. :thumbup:

fishdip
August 11th, 2013, 09:13 PM
I love my 300, wouldn't trade it for the best 250. May buy a new new 300 before to long... If one is good two is better, an I'd rather not track my daily ride. :thumbup:

It is such a nice track bike.

JohnnyBravo
August 11th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Either build a track bike or wild out a custom

old3
August 22nd, 2013, 11:12 AM
I read old3's thread on the 300 site with great interest. I t was followed by a pic packed diy and...no mechanic that I am...I think I can do the fix myself.

Hey Eddie! Been out riding in NJ/NY yet this year?

If you go to the trouble of getting the stock loose ball bearings exposed enough to grease them, change them. The pics of the bearing raced heavily scored with deep scars at around 1000 miles is posted elsewhere. Grease wasn't the problem, it is weak metals in the bearings. My son's 2012 250 has the same issue, and his front end bearings clunked at 1600 miles.

The ECU is being updated to prevent stalling, the rest of the bike is better than the previous by a good bit except the brakes, which are just as bad IMO.

I doubt you will regret owning one! TTYL and PM me when you are headed west!

Jim

gibtzumich318
August 22nd, 2013, 11:45 AM
Bought mine with cash mid June. I chose this bike because I could buy with cash and being a new rider I did not want anything huge. I may upgrade in a year, but likely to keep the 300 just because I love it so much.

Fairing issue: I have not seen any gaps or problems with mine.

ECU: I did not have any problems, but had the recall completed.

Bearings: I am at 2800 miles on the bike with no problems so far.

Overall I love the bike. It was a great choice for me as a beginner. When I took the MSF class I rode a 250 and wanted something with just a tiny bit more power, that is what led me to the 300.

Modifications so far: 15t sprocket, bixenon headlights with blue halos, removed the reflectors from the fender (kept the fender though), tank pads installed, plasti dipped the windshield to black (thinking about changing this to blue though and adding more blue accents around the bike)

Disclaimer: I do not ride it SUPER hard. I take it in regularly for maintenance, first service after break in, when I had the lights installed another check up, and now another oil change and full check up before heading out on a weekend trip. So I think it is all in how you maintain the bike.

eddiekay
August 29th, 2013, 09:07 AM
got the 50 decel wiggle last night. Tiny, little wiggle with about 80 miles on the clock but...had to tAKE HANDS OFF BARS TO GET IT. Hands on bars , felt nothing and...weird...not at 60...not @ 45.... almost exacly at 50 indicated.
Havent lifted front so havent tried Old3's pork pulling...oops, no I mean FORK PULLING test but will do that if wiggle shows up again. Gonna see how this develops. Getting used to slipper and learning to live with it. The mid range is nice...came out of a turn I know real well too slow and she did not lug. I'm getting to like her more.

choneofakind
August 29th, 2013, 09:15 AM
The bar wobble can be amplified (but not directly caused) by bearing slop. Going to tapered rollers will reduce it significantly, but not rid you of it completely.

Speaking from experience here. Mine is like 90% gone with tapered rollers.

GHill762
August 29th, 2013, 09:24 AM
The bar wobble can be amplified (but not directly caused) by bearing slop. Going to tapered rollers will reduce it significantly, but not rid you of it completely.

mine is 100% gone with tapered rollers.. 100% solid, no movement..

Jiggles
August 29th, 2013, 09:27 AM
My 300 is absolutely positively perfect! Except for all the problems with it.

choneofakind
August 29th, 2013, 10:28 AM
mine is 100% gone with tapered rollers.. 100% solid, no movement..

How many miles on your front tire? It shows up around 50 because there's some resonance there from an off balance wheel. Think about it.

My tail is raised and my nose dropped. It makes everything amplified because there's a steeper rake angle. That means every little wobble/Vibration/input makes more effect on my bars than yours. There's also nearly 6000 miles on my tire and it's never been rebalanced because I'm lazy.

The rollers just take out slop. They don't fix the cause of the resonance. That's the front wheel balance

I do really like the tapered roller bearings. Much more confident over bumps while turning. Less vague smooshy/spongey feeling.

rasta
August 29th, 2013, 10:58 AM
I just wished Kawi made it a little bigger. 50cc bump from the 250, come ooonnnnnnnn

Considering a ZX6R would be around $12,000....I'd say 4700 is pretty darn cheap.

old3
September 3rd, 2013, 06:59 PM

Try resetting your bearing preload. I had to do mine once, might not have had the race fully seated or whatever. It went away again till my front tire cupped really badly. Now it'll wag if I shake the bars, that is the tubes flexing now, I have gone over it like a lunatic. I can feel them bend in hard corners too.

New tires are en route, a pair of better forks may end up on it down the road.

choneofakind
September 3rd, 2013, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I had to tighten them up a bit after about 1500 miles because I got a little slop. It was literally the end of the summer though, so I never got a chance to test it out much. Meh, there's always spring.

Sirref
September 3rd, 2013, 10:02 PM
I just wished Kawi made it a little bigger. 50cc bump from the 250, come ooonnnnnnnn

to be fair, they added a ridiculous amount of power for only a 50cc bump

I just wish it was a 250cc I4
but I doubt that will ever happen in america

Jiggles
September 4th, 2013, 12:28 PM

Considering a ZX6R would be around $12,000....I'd say 4700 is pretty darn cheap.

Yea, they should have made it a 650

o wait

ninjamunky85
September 4th, 2013, 12:32 PM
I just wish it was a 250cc I4
but I doubt that will ever happen in america

No you don't, those things make ridiculously low amounts of bottom end torque. Pretty sure the 300 would smoke one.

Sirref
September 4th, 2013, 12:58 PM
No you don't, those things make ridiculously low amounts of bottom end torque. Pretty sure the 300 would smoke one.

I'm rarely below 10-11k rpm anyway so I doubt I'd really notice the lack of power. really it would just be insurance that I'd make sure I was staying in the power band

rasta
September 4th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Yea, they should have made it a 650

o wait

I'm sure there's something that better can bridge the gap between 250 and 650?

ninjamunky85
September 4th, 2013, 01:36 PM
I'm rarely below 10-11k rpm anyway so I doubt I'd really notice the lack of power. really it would just be insurance that I'd make sure I was staying in the power band

Still it's not much fun getting beat from a stoplight by a mini van.

alex.s
September 4th, 2013, 01:59 PM
to be fair, the ABS recall effected components produced by another company... not kawi.
also, unfortunate that there was an ECU recall, this is a minor issue that can be fixed by a dealer in a few minutes without much hassle or danger to the consumer... which like alex said only effects a minority of the bikes. the plastics... well... it is a budget bike, you can't exactly expect carbon fiber.

the 250 is my favorite bike that i own hands down. one of my favorites overall. but the 300 beats it in every category (minus price) without question.

Sirref
September 4th, 2013, 02:16 PM

launch at 9k rpm or so rather than idle?

Jiggles
September 4th, 2013, 02:20 PM

Not much fun? Every stoplight is a drag race, how is that not fun?

eddiekay
September 7th, 2013, 05:06 PM
I took her out for the first hard ride and am real happy. Noticed brakes were a little soft then realized i was going a little faster...just a matter of getting used to it. Although...one extremely weird thing happened...in 40+ years my foot has never slipped off a brake pedal...happened twice today. I'm thinking maybe the forward little heat shield...maybe has something to do with how i position my foot. Not a big thing but never happened before.

Xtina
September 26th, 2013, 10:27 AM
At least they are doing a recall. They accept there are faults and are fixing them for free. Unlike Honda and their stalling problems. There's always going to be something for someone to complain about. I love my 300 even with the stalling issues. (still gotta take it in lol)

JohnnyBravo
September 26th, 2013, 10:32 AM
I just got my ECU replaced the other day... Ran perfect before, runs perfect now. It was good they said hey we have a problem here we will fix it for ya!!!