View Full Version : Had a test ride :-D

Xorro
August 12th, 2013, 03:17 AM
We took our 250's in for a service this weekend to our 'local' Kawasaki dealer (there's not many around!) and they had a green 300 in - last time we were there they only had black, which we did have a sit on - I enquired if they now had a demo bike and although they didn't strictly have one we could go out on this green one that they'd been using between themselves.

When we'd previously sat on the black one I'd been concerned about the seat as it feels squarer than the 250 and the edges of the seat stuck into my thighs when I had my toes on the floor.

Anyway, we both had a go on the new 300 and were both very impressed. It's like a totally different bike - I know a lot of it is new - but neither of us expected to experience such a marked difference.

The 300 felt really 'positive' which I think is due to the reduced engine vibrations, power delivery was really smooth and the moment I pulled away on the bike I loved it (as did my partner) - so much so I blasted off down the road on it feeling more confident than I ever did with the 250 (we've had them 4 years this month) Cornering felt about the same, maybe slightly better. Seating position felt higher than the 250 but I believe they're about the same (1cm higher). Brakes were a bit meh but the bike only had 300 miles on.

I'm hoping that there will be better wind protection on the 300, I seem to get a lot of turbulence on the 250 (I'm 5' 4") which means there's always a racket in my helmet, despite ear-plugs and more recently a new Shoei GT-Air.

I should point out that I've been riding on and off for 12 years and have previously owned a Honda Hornet CB600 and an ER5 and the 300 Ninja feels better than any of them :D Needless to say we're going to get a pair - going to hang on for a couple of weeks so that we get them with the new 63 plate registrations (http://www.nationalnumbers.co.uk/dvla-guide/year-of-issue-149.htm#newstyle) rather than 13 reg.

Here's a pic of the 300 with our two bikes behind. In the UK there's only a choice of green or black, which is a shame as the SE in other countries looks nice.

P.S. Any idea what tyres come as standard on the UK bikes? Hopefully not those dreadful Roadwinners again! (*edit, I've read that IRC developed the tyres especially for the 300 - so hopefully they'll be fairly decent)

http://www.xorro.co.uk/vehicles/ninja300/pix/IMG_0957.jpg

JohnnyBravo
August 12th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Man that bike looks good!!! Wonder if the SE looks like that without the decals? Probly sadly the road wieners, they aren't the worst, I've got almost to the edge of them with no hiccups. 300's are pretty amazing, and that green machine is awesome!!!

tfkrocks
August 12th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Man that bike looks good!!! Wonder if the SE looks like that without the decals? Probly sadly the road wieners, they aren't the worst, I've got almost to the edge of them with no hiccups. 300's are pretty amazing, and that green machine is awesome!!!

The SE is a lot of black fairing panels with green stickers on them :p

I would've much preferred having an all green bike.

Xorro
August 12th, 2013, 08:41 AM
From what I have seen elsewhere, the SE without decals has black side fairings panel and the seat panels are also black.

edit *snap* :)

tfkrocks
August 12th, 2013, 08:42 AM
I like how that has a black bellypan rather than the green one on the SE though. Those fairing pieces like to get dirty from the road lol.

JohnnyBravo
August 12th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Have yet to look to close at what's under my decals, but since y'all said something I can remember y'all are right...
I need these body panels. Know how I can order replacements? I def wish I coulda bought that color scheme. Still love my SE, but I'm drooling over here

Xorro
August 13th, 2013, 01:12 AM
I def wish I coulda bought that color scheme. Still love my SE, but I'm drooling over here

Must be human nature to want what we can't have lol. I want decals and you want green - maybe we should swap? :lol:

Sirref
August 13th, 2013, 04:11 AM
The SE is a lot of black fairing panels with green stickers on them :p

I would've much preferred having an all green bike.

same here, hell I preferred the white but I also wanted abs and abs was only special edition.

on another note. the all green just looks amazing :drool:

JohnnyBravo
August 13th, 2013, 08:25 AM
maybe we should swap? :lol:

That would be an idea if I weren't clingy... I like having things, giving up my toys or parts is a lot harder than buying more stuff!!! At the moment this is my toy of the time, I won't be giving up none of it! Custom painted fairings getin ordered. Haha thanks though!!!

LNasty
August 13th, 2013, 09:11 AM
I like that little cafe racer to the right. What is that? After watching "girl with the dragon tattoo" I am liking the british cafe style bikes more and more

Old Lemon
August 13th, 2013, 10:05 AM
wish we could get the straight green instead of the SE edition, looks a lot better to me

JohnnyBravo
August 13th, 2013, 10:35 AM
wish we could get the straight green instead of the SE edition, looks a lot better to me

Or both!!! An how'd we get crapped out on the red Canadian bike? So close yet so faaaaAar away ( que= micheal Bolton or someone song )

algs26
August 13th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Plain green looks sharp. The SE green always looked a little busy to me.

If we're talking colors we can't get, I like the moondust grey. Grass (or should i say kawi) is always greener ...

alex.s
August 13th, 2013, 01:47 PM
i agree with the original post. i was really blown away by the 300. everything is better. power delivery, clutch, suspension, electrics. i can't think of anything better on the 250 vs the 300. the 300 was smoother in every aspect. service on the 300 looks better in every sense. i wonder how the ABS feels. didn't get a chance to try that.

Xorro
August 30th, 2013, 03:41 AM
Picked our number plates out yesterday from the list at the dealer, managed to get the same plates except that the last letter of each bike is our initial! How cool is that!?

Going over to see them tomorrow and sort some paperwork out, then it's an agonising wait until the following Saturday before we can pick them up.

rasta
August 30th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Sooo, the seat is a little wider than on the 250? Does it make the seat height feel a little taller?

Xorro
August 30th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Sooo, the seat is a little wider than on the 250? Does it make the seat height feel a little taller?

Only very slightly, I was still able to manoeuvre the bike with my toes/feet. Weirdly, when riding the bike felt much taller, might be down to the different fairing?

Xorro
September 1st, 2013, 11:32 PM
Picked up the bikes yesterday :) The dealer doesn't open on Sundays but a chap there kindly offered to go in just so that we could have our bikes on the 1st Sept (first day of the new registration series in the UK).

Bit of a bummer not being able to ride it how I would like and also a bit of a worry having brand new tyres and brand new brakes. Had to brake much earlier than on the 250 as the brakes aren't brilliant - I'm hoping once they bed in they'll be better.

For running in, we aren't going above 50mph and not revving it hard, whilst trying to ride at varying revs, rather than just sitting at 50.

In some circumstances the bike seemed to turn in much quicker than the 250s, I presume that is due to the larger rear tyre?

Seat is hard :( and after half an hour my butt was hurting.

Have done about 30 miles, so only another 470 until it's run in, lol.

Will post pics later once my host is back up.

Sirref
September 2nd, 2013, 12:59 AM
don't worry about the seat, it'll get softer quickly enough. I haven't felt the seat as a problem since the 100 mile mark or so and that's including rides that went over 300 miles (my knees/thighs were sore but not my butt)

Xorro
September 2nd, 2013, 01:37 AM
That's good to know Sirref.

Some pics:

http://www.xorro.co.uk/vehicles/ninja300/pix/IMG_5981_1024.jpg

http://www.xorro.co.uk/vehicles/ninja300/pix/IMG_5984_1024.jpg