View Full Version : The Television Thread!

Pages : [1] 2

Alex
March 4th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I was just scanning through the off-topic section, and realized that we haven't had a real television thread yet. What self-respecting internet forum doesn't have a television thread? We need to fix that! :thumbup:

I'll make this a two-parter; first how we like to watch TV, then what we watch. Any and all TV topics are fair game here, and we can always split things off to separate threads if it becomes necessary at some point.

First, Annie and I are tech-weenies. Me perhaps more so, but she'll admit to it as well, to a point. ;) When DVR's were first starting to make news back in '98, we started thinking that there was a way out of our carefully constructed VCR taping schedule. I traveled quite a bit, so a lot of this fell on Annie to replace the tapes, and it could not have been clunkier. We weren't even into that many shows, but we hated missing the ones we liked, so we were pretty good about the system. As clunky as it was. (one tape per day, labelled by day, replaced each morning so the programmed recordings for each night would have enough space, the better shows recorded at LP instead of EP, all that crap).

So a DVR sounded great! But hard drives were still expensive, and initially Tivo wanted $999 for a 14-hr DVR (with a 15-GB drive in it). Neat toy, but too expensive for the benefits it provided. That 14-hrs was at the worst picture quality as well, at best picture quality it was more like 1/3 of that. But technology moved, as it always does, and by the middle of 1999, Tivo dropped the price on their 30-hr unit from $999 to $399, and that was the time we jumped on it. Friends at work were also into it, and within a few weeks I had upgraded it to a 60-hr unit (with a 2nd 30-GB drive, which probably went for $200 or so). Annie and I loved it! We were able to record much more than we could on the VCR, never had to switch tapes, but most importantly, we could watch whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted! (As long as we had enough storage). It was only a short while after that when we added a 2nd Tivo, so we could record 2 shows at once. That truly freed us from every needing to watch live TV; and we haven't since. It's been 10 years at this point. Sometime around 2001 we switched to a pair of DirecTV/Tivo combo boxes, and I also upgraded both of them to their max supported capacity at the time, and each of those had 2 tuners of their own, so we had 4 tuners to record, along with enough drive space that we could go for months without watching things if we wanted. Those boxes were nice as well because they record everything at the exact same quality of the original DirecTV signal; there's no re-encoding or compressing. Basically it just writes out to disk what it would be sending to your screen anyway, so there was zero picture quality difference from live to recorded, for the first time. (Because even at the highest quality on the analog tivos, the picture quality wasn't as good as live. Much better than a VCR, but still not picture-perfect). At that time we started recording shows during the year, saved up entire seasons, and then watched them in summer when nothing else was on. It was convenient, and also even better for some serial-type shows, where we could watch 2 or 3 in a row if we were in the mood, rather than having to wait until the next week for a cliffhanger.

The only problem with all of the above was that none of these devices were HD. HD is one of those things that really sucks. Because if you don't have it, you don't know what you're missing and you're perfectly content. But then you see it, and you realize "oh crap". I used to like this SD picture. I used to be perfectly happy with this SD picture. But now I know it's crap. :) The issue was that when we started realizing this in 2005, there was still no viable way to record HD in a way that would allow Annie and me to continue to never worry about live TV, and catch up weeks or months later whenever we had the time. At that time the HD DVR's from DirecTV were a joke, with way too little capacity, and even hacked and upgraded, that version of the HD DirecTV signal (mpeg2) was quite large, and it would be prohibitively expensive to have enough drive capacity. HD programs would take about 7 times the amount of storage that the SD DirecTV programs need, which is quite a multiple. So I hemmed and hawed and didn't do anything. We were going to wait until a solution presented itself. Our TV, one of those high-end Sony Wegas, 36", 200+ lbs, wasn't HD and we weren't in any rush to get rid of it, even though it was already approaching 7 years old at the time. It even broke on us, and we had a couple circuit boards replaced in it for a decent chunk of change. Not because I was so enamored with keeping it, but since I still didn't have a viable option to move to HD, so we punted again.

But by the fall of 2006, things started to come together, and I realized it was then time to make the switch. I had a couple weeks off that December, and was able to get everything up and running in a way that would keep us able to do everything we were already enjoying with the existing setup. First we needed the large TV, and we ended up with a 50" 1080p DLP from Samsung. Next I configured a reasonably capable new PC that would sit in our rack right next to the TV to record HD. I put two HD-tuner cards in it, and I set up Windows Media Center. The tuner cards were hooked up to a new HD antenna just sitting on our roof, and they worked great! Perfect quality HD from all the major networks (and some minor ones) for free. Just like the DirecTV/Tivo combo boxes, these HD-tuner cards had no encoder, they would just write the incoming signal right out to disk, so once again there was zero penalty from watching something recorded or live, the picture quality was absolutely identical. And was now in HD! I set up a new remote so everything could be controlled from a single remote, and also networked the computer so it could use extra drive space on other pc's in the house as overflow if the space got low on its internal drives. And we kept the 2 DirecTivo's hooked up to the new TV as well. Everything on the networks we recorded on the media center PC, and the few things remaining on cable (HBO, Speedchannel, ESPN, etc), we recorded on the DirecTivos, with the caveat that none of those on the Tivos were in HD, as those were still just SD devices hooked up to an HD TV. Turned out that most of what we recorded was on the networks, so it wasn't that big a deal to not have HD for a small portion of our shows.

And that's about it! In the last 2 or 3 years we've made some upgrades, but they were minor in the scheme of things. The media center PC is now running Vista media center, which despite its poor public reception had some nice new features for the media center capabilities which we appreciate. Also on the backend all of the video is now piped to a 3 TB home NAS in our office, rather than being stored locally on the PC itself. I also replaced the tivos with a pair of DirecTV HD-DVR's, now that they've become more reliable and more economical. We still record most things on the PC, but the DVR's give us overflow on both tuners and space. The second DVR is pretty much dedicated for motorcycle and car racing. All of them are still controlled with just 1 remote, which makes using the whole system easier than it would ever be otherwise. We have a slingbox connected to the system that was useful when I was travelling; when we wanted to I could watch the same thing that Annie was watching while I was several time zones away, and we could be on the phone at the same time talking about it as if we were still in the same room. Neat gadget, but since we both stopped traveling as much, it hasn't gotten much use in awhile.

So I guess that's how we watch TV. We absolutely never watch anything live, even if we're watching something the same day it's on we'll start it late enough that we can zap the commercials without catching up to live. We always have hundreds of hours more stuff stored up than we'd ever be able to watch, and our problem is always just finding the time, rather than not being able to record what we want initially.

Alex
March 4th, 2009, 01:36 AM
So what do we watch? Well, I guess there are the shows that you're comfortable telling other people you're into, and then there are those that you're not. :p

Some of the ones that we both like are Big Love, Damages, Chuck, Lost, Weeds, and Two and a Half Men. Some of the ones that Annie likes that I don't watch are all of the Law and Order spinoffs, CSI, Numbers, Psych, and Monk. If she's watching one of those and I'm in the room, usually I'm reading motorcycle magazines. She also records a number of home-type shows like Design on a Dime, Designers Challenge, things like that. Some of the ones that I like that she can't stand are Entourage, Flight of the Conchords, and yes, I still watch Survivor. I'm lame, I know. :o

We also record all the typical motorcycle road-racing series (AMA, WSBK, MotoGP), as well as some of the auto racing series (F1, SpeedGT).

Some weeks we have a bunch of time to catch up on what's recorded. Some weeks we have zero time and watch pretty much nothing. My schedule over the past few months means I have more time to veg in front of the TV if I let myself, but I try not to gorge. :D

So what do you folks like to watch? What neat show do you enjoy that none of your friends know about? What show are you embarrassed to say you're still into? ;)

Guinss
March 4th, 2009, 03:52 AM
chuck, two and a half men, big bang theory, lost, top gear.
thats what i watch. motogp not so much, it have gotten kinda boring.

miks
March 4th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Love the tv box.

I like watching;
-The Simpsons
-Top Gear
-Skins (British show about teens, drugs, sex, relationships, school)
-Two and a Half Men
-Prison Break (till it got axed :( )
-Underbelly (Aussie Gang-based drama)
-AFL (Aust. Football League)
-News & Current Affairs

But I'll probably watch anything that I find remotely interesting if I've got nothing better to do.

Also, I'm embarrassed to tell anyone that I LOVE cooking shows, shows such as;
-Anything involving Jamie Oliver
-Ramsey's kitchen Nightmares
-And them "Lifestyle shows" which also include a few recipes here and there.

xTKx
March 4th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I like a lot of the stuff on TruTV (formerly CourtTV):
-COPS
-Most Shocking
-Most Daring
-Beach Patrol

Some of my favorite animations:
-Family Guy (which can be a little too much some times)
-The Simpsons

Also, I'm into American Idol. :/ My favorite part is definitely watching the auditions and such, but I get into the competition as long as there's someone worthy of paying attention to.

As for the misses, she enjoys all the dramatic shows that I can't stand:
-The Bachelor
-The Hills
-Some show about the "American teenager"
-Another show with one of the girls from the Hills...

^YUCK!!^

BlueTyke
March 4th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I don't really watch a lot of 'live' tv... Commercials annoy me. Especially now that the pharmicutical companies have discovered 60 seconds (give or take) of bliss. Nah... What I watch comes up on On Demand or I just wait for the DVDs :D I don't think my life should be run by a plasma screen so I have no TV Schedule and can do what I want when I want and not feel bad about missing this episode or that episode..

Some favorites -
Pretender (number one favorite though no longer airing, I have it on DVD and can watch it at any time)
*CSI (Vegas and NY is interesting Miami not so much)
*NCIS
*Numbers (though I can't understand half the stuff Charlie says)
(*on demand)

Some stuff Phil DVRs that I like
House (though we have all other seasons on DVD and will own the new ones when they come out)
Mentalist (I am surprised I like this one)
Good Eats (Food Network show. Good for the science of cooking)

Ones we are waiting for DVD
Bones
Monk
Dead Zone
Heroes (Still haven't watched season 2 yet)
Avitar: The last Air Bender (One day I will own them all. So far they are expensive!)

Ones I would watch if I catch them on
Two and a half men (that is just funny)
How I met your Mother
Man vs Wild
Survivor Man
Dirty Jobs (that man will do anything!)
How its Made
Hannah Montana (yeah yeah you know you watch it)
Suit life of Zack and Cody (followed by Suite life on Deck)

Shows Phil likes that I refuse to watch: (Luckily not that many. He has more TV/Movies that he doesn't like that I watch)
Scrubs (I don't know why but this show annoys me)
Dexter (Again... though I think it's my hereo complex and the good guy shouldn't be killing the bad guys)

I am also a fan of Anime and while there is some good shows airing on tv I hate dubed stuff I prefer subtitles so I usually buy all my anime... Every once and a while a good show with a good dub will come on. But again that is On Demand.

I do have a huge DVD collection... So really there is always something to watch that does not require commercials. I go to great lengths to avoid them. Great lengths. (Of course the DVR is nice because you can fast forward through them...It still gets annoying)

zartan
March 4th, 2009, 09:47 AM
We have been clean and sober TV wise since 2000
No reception... It was hard unhooking....real hard....

But we do rent DVDs and such and sometimes get whole seasons at a time. Currently we just finished Arrested Development season 2. It takes us a couple of months to watch because we usually only watch one at a time and then the TV is off. We would get NOTHING done if we had reception. Racing, old Spencer for hires, Lucy gilligan... just melt into the abyss drooling....
> on the other hand I want to get the True Blood series.

On other other addiction side we are Connected at all times on the net. yikes.
We did rent watch Two movies this weekend. that was a fun and rare!!
Hell boy 2 and the Changeling which I recommend but is emotionally intense.

athimmel
March 4th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Burn Notice, Psych, Fort Boyard (French show), House

Alex
March 4th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Currently we just finished Arrested Development season 2.

One of my favorite shows ever. Ann couldn't stand it. :idunno: Rumor is that there's a reasonable chance for an Arrested Development movie.

Burn Notice

Haven't seen this show, but have seen the ads for it from time to time. What's it similar to? Is it a comedy? drama? a little of both?

athimmel
March 4th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Burn Notice is unique. It's about a spy who has been burned from the agency and stranded in Miami. He does odd jobs to help people in trouble while trying to find out who had him burned. He is assisted by a long-time friend (played by Bruce Campbell) and a former-IRA former-girlfriend Fiona. It's a lot of action and a lot of humor. The narration by the lead character and the graphics identifying certain people are great. Give it a try. Season one is available on DVD right now. Tomorrow night is the season finale' of the third season.

ninjabrewer
March 4th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Re-imagined Battlestar Galactica, I'm addicted to it, and it gets DVR'd, I have had DishNetwork for years, 'cept when we live in VA, we cable for 2 months then canceled it and went with an antenna for the 3.5 years we were there, (couldn't have either of the dishes because of the area we lived in and there were ALOT of trees so we couldn't mount it around back. SWMBO only watches the old shoes, Bewitched, Andy Griffith, Designing Women, Golden Girls, Lucy etc, and Family guy, if there is one on somewhere, she is watching it. And Futurama.

Me, I also like the Two and half men, along with jr, and Fraiser, sometimes
BUT, I don't really watch a whole lot, I used to and when I was laid up after surgery, I watched a lot of History channel and Discovery, Modern Marvels, how it made, etc.

If it is something that I really want to watch, I dvr it and watch it when I get around to it.

nb

TnNinjaGirl
March 4th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Uhh... Alex, you are really into your television stuff. I don't think I've ever seen a TV post with that much detail before.

Viper-Byte
March 4th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I have got a DVR, HD is really just starting to come out here. and record the most important stuff (Numbers, Bones, Cold Case, Mythbusters, Formula 1 (Which I am going to in Australia this year! YAY!! :D )

I also aquire the latest HD shows such as Prison Break, Knight Rider 2008, Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicals from the net :shifty:

Then I also watch Dirty Jobs and a lot of other stuff on Discovery Channel if it is on, which I don't record.

sharky nrk
March 4th, 2009, 05:55 PM
lets see - for me its House, Nip/Tuck, Rescue Me, Scrubs, Speed Channel, any history channel and any discovery channel

all in hd on my 50in panny plasma

sharky nrk
March 4th, 2009, 05:55 PM
oh and Star Wars: Clone Wars animated series - its awesome

jpnfrk
March 4th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Hmm... It's weird but when I'm home I only use my TV to play Wii games :lol: if there's anything I want to watch I usu see it on my computer at websites like Hulu.com

Sometimes I'll purposely visit my friends to watch the following programs on their TVs:

Scrubs, The Office, CSI: MIami, Family Guy and Futurama. Also the History Channel and some college or pro basketball/football if it's an important nail-biting action game.

Dunno, but I feel a bit strange watching the tube on my own, feels awkward like going to a movie theater alone. :(

kkim
March 4th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Dunno, but I feel a bit strange watching the tube on my own, feels awkward like going to a movie theater alone. :(
lemme know... I'll come watch TV with you. :D

jpnfrk
March 4th, 2009, 07:26 PM
You'll fly to NC? Awww how sweet of you!! :p

zartan
March 4th, 2009, 08:44 PM
One of my favorite shows ever. Ann couldn't stand it. Rumor is that there's a reasonable chance for an Arrested Development movie.

haha! TR and I do the chicken cluck dance at each other to get the others goat ..cluck clap!!

NJD022588
March 4th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I have a 32" Samsung LCD TV and Tivo HD. I dont think i'll ever go back to non-recorded TV.

I watch:
-The Daily Show
-The Colbert Report
-The Office
-Entourage (on DVD, I dont have HBO)
-Top Gear (not on TV since I dont have the SPEED channel, but I've watched the first 4 seasons in the past month, probably my fav show at the time)
-The Simpsons (own all released seasons on DVD)
-Family Guy

More generally, I watch
-Stand-up on Comedy Central, and some of their other shows
-Almost anything on the History Channel
-Many shows on Discovery Channel
-Almost anything on SPEED Channel when I have access to it

Alex
March 4th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I dont think i'll ever go back to non-recorded TV.

I can't imagine going back. The thought of having to make sure you're home in time, or done with chores in time, just to make sure you get to watch something that you'd enjoy, seems like the dark ages at this point. A few years back I gave Tivo boxes to a number of family members, must have bought 6 or 7 of the gadgets. What I couldn't understand is that a number of them just didn't get it. They happily used the tivo to record things from time to time, but by and large they still watched things live. They didn't get that they didn't have to do that anymore. Spent a bunch of time trying to show them how they had the freedom to record whatever they wanted and watch whenever they wanted, and skip commercials as well. Some said they just liked watching things live, and some in fact continue to do so today. :crazy: (though some have since relented.)

NJD022588
March 5th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Yeah, i know what you mean Alex. I bought a Tivo for my parents for christmas since i noticed they were revolving their schedules around the TV schedule. I still dont think they have really caught on to how much they can really use it. They still watch live TV and record the show they are watching in case they fall asleep. I purposely wait for the next day (or, really, whenever i feel like it) to watch shows just to avoid commercials.

Alex, have you ever had quality trouble with Tivo? Almost once a week I turn on my TV and the screen is blank. I can watch recorded shows, but it seems the buffer has frozen and the only way I can see live TV again is to restart the DVR (a 10 min process). This is not that bad but when i dont catch it in time, I ended up with a whole recorded show that is only a black screen.

Alex
March 5th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Hi Nick -

I'd recommend putting the Tivo on a UPS. Frankly, I'm surprised that consumer DVR's work as well as they do. They are basically computers, with standard hard drives running continuously 24/7/365. They are rarely plugged into functional surge protectors, let alone a UPS. In most cases they are plugged into the same exact outlet that the TV, stereo, and the rest of the AV equipment is sitting in the TV room (which is likely not rated to handle all of those at once, and when one of the larger pieces of equipment is switched on, there is an immediate effect on the other devices on that same outlet).

For best reliability, plug them into one of these (http://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-Outlet-550VA-120V/dp/B0019804U8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235159565&sr=8-1) and they will last for years with minimal issues, well past the time you'd want to replace them for ones with better features anyway. That Amazon price is pretty high ($60 or so), and you can likely find one locally that will do an equivalent job in the $40 range. Our UPS's trip at least once per day, and sometimes several times a day. Put that amount of power fluctuation into a hard-drive that's running continuously, and periodic glitches along with an early failure are pretty much guaranteed.

noche_caliente
March 8th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Well I'm late into to the TV posts, but our TV and tivo for that matter is usually filled with whatever is on Noggin or Thomas :)
None of us actually watch the TV that much, it's usually just on...
Things the adults in the house like to watch areL
Big Bang Theory
How I Met Your Mother
Two and a Half Men
Worst Week
NCIS
The Unit
Knight Rider
Real World :p
Grey's Anatomy
Ghost Whisperer
Top Gear
Hell's Kitchen
Top Chef

Alex
March 8th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I forgot about Worst Week, I do like that show. After I saw the pilot, I wasn't sure if there was actually enough material for more than a show or two, but I've been pleasantly surprised. :thumbup:

komohana
March 9th, 2009, 03:35 AM
wife and i do our fair share of tube watching. we got us a 50-incher...ANYWAY...we recently got the ROKU box from Netflix. for a one-time purchase of this box at about $90.00 that streams video via your internet connection, and a netflix account, we can go online and access a poop-load of movies (lots of older titles), set up a list and watch at will! i am impressed with the quality of the streaming vids this thing puts out. we're paying $17.00 for the type account she signed up for, and the streams are free.

so...we've been watching House by the seasons as we're newcomers to that series. we do NCIS the same way...we love Lost, Sci-fi's Battle Star Galactica. i watch alot of History channel stuff along with Nova on PBS. we both absolutely hate reality based stuff, and i like to watch that late night guy who's on after Letterman...Brain farting his name...:doh:

:pop2:

BlueTyke
March 9th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Saw Burn notice! Loved it! I caught a few episodes of season 2 on On Demand and had to go out and buy the first season! It was very good!

NJD022588
March 21st, 2009, 09:02 PM
Hi Nick -

I'd recommend putting the Tivo on a UPS. Frankly, I'm surprised that consumer DVR's work as well as they do. They are basically computers, with standard hard drives running continuously 24/7/365. They are rarely plugged into functional surge protectors, let alone a UPS. In most cases they are plugged into the same exact outlet that the TV, stereo, and the rest of the AV equipment is sitting in the TV room (which is likely not rated to handle all of those at once, and when one of the larger pieces of equipment is switched on, there is an immediate effect on the other devices on that same outlet).

For best reliability, plug them into one of these (http://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-Outlet-550VA-120V/dp/B0019804U8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235159565&sr=8-1) and they will last for years with minimal issues, well past the time you'd want to replace them for ones with better features anyway. That Amazon price is pretty high ($60 or so), and you can likely find one locally that will do an equivalent job in the $40 range. Our UPS's trip at least once per day, and sometimes several times a day. Put that amount of power fluctuation into a hard-drive that's running continuously, and periodic glitches along with an early failure are pretty much guaranteed.

Thanks, i had never thought about that. UPS's are probably very good to use on desktop computers too, right?

Alex
March 21st, 2009, 10:29 PM
Absolutely. :thumbup:

Buffalony
March 22nd, 2009, 01:09 AM
LOST fan here.

I like to stream hulu to my flat screen in the living room through a PS3. Some times I even use this setup to entertain guests with youtube. Heck Im typing this right now from the couch. Laaid baack. :cool:

sharky nrk
March 22nd, 2009, 03:19 AM
Thanks, i had never thought about that. UPS's are probably very good to use on desktop computers too, right?

have two of them in use at the house as we speak

Strider
March 22nd, 2009, 07:30 AM
I rarely watch TV unless its to watch a movie on DVD (which I am addicted to)
the only series' I watch are Bones (even in repeats) and Legend of the Seeker ...

rceezy
March 28th, 2009, 06:06 PM
My all-time favorite show that I will absolutely NOT miss: Terminator, The Sarah Connor Chronicles! Every Friday @ 8pm Eastern on FOX...

I can't wait until Salvation comes out! Whooo hoooo

Hot girls kicking metal ass, no more 'splaining.

CaliGirl
March 28th, 2009, 08:12 PM
There's no cable in my room, so I usually watch lots of DVD's or I stream on Hulu from my Mac to my 46 inch plasma. ;)

On DVD, I watch:
House
CSI
Dexter
Friends
The Shield

On Hulu, I stream:
Lie to Me
Legend of the Seeker
Dollhouse
CSI
House
The Colbert Report
The Daily Show

And when no one is watching TV in the living room, I'll watch:
Top Chef
Iron Chef
Law & Order: SVU
NCIS
Anything on the Military channel, Nat Geo, History channel, Discovery Channel
How It's Made
Unwrapped

I have a pretty large DVD collection. I often used to buy movies gthat I had never seen that just looked interested. I worked at Blockbuster and then Best Buy for a long time, so I always bought when movies were on sale. I'd say half of my movies have never even been opened. So when there's nothing on Hulu, I just watch a DVD from my own private collection. I don't really miss having cable. I definitely don't miss the cable bill...

sometimesido
March 28th, 2009, 08:30 PM
TV? What's that?

00v_Lucky
April 2nd, 2009, 01:18 AM
Top Gear - Bbc

How I Met Your Mother - Cbs

Chuck & The_Office - nbc

Eli Stone - abc (Got Canceled, those ba5tards) - just curious to see if anyone else watched this

Psych - USA network

miks
April 2nd, 2009, 01:31 AM
"No TV and no beer makes Homer go something something.."

00v_Lucky
April 2nd, 2009, 01:33 AM

wat

komohana
April 2nd, 2009, 02:49 AM
leghump

miks
April 2nd, 2009, 03:15 AM
lol, yes Steve - you're 100% correct. It makes Homer go Leg humping..

sccerpro01
April 2nd, 2009, 08:53 AM
well love two and a half men, family guy (the ones i haven't seen 10 times), simpons, most things on the discovery channel (man vs wild and mythbusters my fav.), house, Fox soccer Channel.. anything on there.. king of queens, home improvement (just a classic), sportscenter, future weapons, top sniper, SHARKS games, good eats, iron cheif america. damn i only wish i actually had time to watch all these. only got time for two and a half men and fox soccer report most days. i do got dvr so off days i never have to hope there is something on tv.

NJD022588
April 3rd, 2009, 09:31 PM

"Homer no function beer well without."

Rynownd
April 9th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I haven't read this thread as I don't have time to watch much TV, but I always watch South Park. Yesterday's episode was generally pretty funny, but the song at the end just cracked my sh*t right up.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/224099

PS Southparkstudios.com has every episode.

Snake
April 9th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Now I am starting to watch American Idol and The Aprentice.

miks
April 9th, 2009, 09:22 PM
The Apprentice shows sucks ass IMO. As for American Idol, or and Idol for a matter of fact, I like the audition process. Its funny seeing people who's singing ability is ... hilariously bad.

Alex
May 6th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Anyone else watching Better Off Ted (http://abc.go.com/primetime/betteroffted/)? Quirky, not sure if it has staying power, but the gags do make me chuckle...

Lurkable
May 7th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I don't watch a lot of television, partly because I just don't have time. But I do watch a few things:

The Office, Family Guy - both amazing comedies consistently make me laugh out loud.

Breaking Bad (AMC) - one of the best television dramas I think that has ever existed...incredible writing, interesting story, unbelievable (believable) acting all over the screen. I have never been so engrossed in a television show as I am when I'm watching this.

MotoGP

And a couple others I feel I must recommend:

Peep Show (British) - really good situational comedy

and...Arrested Development! That's it for stuff I've seen recently

BlueRaven
May 18th, 2009, 06:42 PM
House
South Park
Wild Roses (canadian drama)
Mystery Diagnosis
Medium
Ghost Whisperer
ER (cancelled)

capt_bugaloo
May 19th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I don't watch much TV - 95% of it is garbage that rots your mind. I do watch the local news at 5 o'clock while I cook dinner after work. Once I finish eating, the TV gets turned off so that I can do something more useful with my time, like read a book, go for a walk - or even ride my motorcycle!

Snake
May 19th, 2009, 09:15 AM
When I watch TV I prfer to watch The History Channel, Discovery or Speed TV.
When American Idol comes on I watch and follow the contestants.
I hope Chis wins. Sorry but Adam is too much of a screamer.

BlueRaven
May 19th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I taught that only women were screamers lol

Back to the topic

I'm intrigued by all shows that are based on the medical field as i still want to be a doctor someday. That's why house is on the top of my list. Me and the doc i used to work for use to sit down when she was stumped and go through the whole medical history and try to figure out what it could be. It was very stimulating to the brain. I love to solve mysteries.

Alex
December 30th, 2009, 01:46 AM
BUMP to the top, as we just finished watching the final few episodes of Monk. Really enjoyed them, as well!

bdavison
December 30th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Ive got a full home theater setup here. 50" flat panel, Pioneer Elite audio equipment, DVR, HDMI to everything, HD cable, Cerwin-Vega speakers with a 15" CV subwoofer.

My favorite shows are:
Mythbusters
Survivor
Lost
Superbikes with Jason Britton
Isle of Man TT
FIM World Speedracing
MotoGP

backinthesaddleagain
December 30th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Law and Order
Nip Tuck
Damages
Sons of Anarchy
Pass Time
motorcycle shows of any kind
and dare I admit it - Steven Seagal , Lawman

backinthesaddleagain
December 30th, 2009, 02:33 PM
CSI Miami - even though Horatio Cain's character is annoying, and how do those gals in white walk in puddles of blood and never get dirty????

Curb your Enthusiasm

Mr_Pete
January 6th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Used to watch a whooooole LOT of TV until TiVo came along. Then I started TiVo'ing everything. Now, I watch everything on Hulu.

-Heroes
-Chuck
-Lost
-House
-Fringe

bogdanb
January 7th, 2010, 12:20 AM
and...Arrested Development!

LOL ! :D I love it ! Is it still running?

tapdiggy
January 7th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Good Eats
Mythbusters
Farscape
Britcoms, preferably from last century
House- usually full seasons watched in 2 bursts

sharky nrk
January 7th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Used to watch a whooooole LOT of TV until TiVo came along. Then I started TiVo'ing everything. Now, I watch everything on Hulu.

-Heroes
-Chuck
-Lost
-House
-Fringe

Hulu takes too damn long to get House eps up - otherwise a fair alternative

Mr_Pete
January 7th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Hulu takes too damn long to get House eps up - otherwise a fair alternative

True, they do take a while to post. The main reason I use Hulu is because I don't have HD cable so the quality on Hulu is much better. Connect the PC to the TV and everything's ready to go.

Snake
January 7th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Favorite shows:

House
Pawn Stars
Myth Busters
South Park
Family Guy

Alex
January 4th, 2011, 06:03 PM
*** BUMPLE ***

But there are some updates as well. I updated the media center PC to Windows 7, put in a better video card that can do HDMI directly without a bulky DVI-to-HDMI adapter, and updated the memory in the pc to give it that much more reliability and performance. All connections in our system (PC+DVR's) are now HDMI, after upgrading the receiver to one with a handful of HDMI inputs. Sound/picture didn't change noticeably, but the wiring setup is certainly much easier. Got rid of DVD player, and VCR, so the only things left in the rack are two dual-tuner HD-DVRs, the mediacenter PC, and the receiver. We may be able to go with a smaller rack, and likely will do so when we move to a thinner wall-mounted TV at some point.

But the real reason I wanted to bump this, is that I just discovered www.clicker.com. Now that video has exploded on the web, it's easier to eventually find a way to watch what you want. Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, iTunes, Youtube, and a whole bunch more sites have content that we might want to watch. But sitting down and deciding how to watch what you want isn't necessarily straightforward. Google is not a help here. Clicker.com (http://www.clicker.com) tries to simplify this, and it does a good job.

For example, I've been kicking myself that I missed the first episode of "Men of a Certain Age" this year, I had forgotten to set up a season pass to record it. And I went on the website the following week, and either I went on the wrong site, or wasn't smart enough, but I couldn't find any way to watch the full episode. This afternoon I went to www.clicker.com, typed in the show title, and it brought up all the episode choices. I clicked the one I want, and it immediately brought up a direct link to the right page on TNT.com where I could start watching the show instantly. No muss, no fuss. In some ways, it makes it even less important to remember to record what we want to watch, if we have confidence that we can always find whatever we would have wanted to record anyway. The day where we don't need DVR's, and instead rely on a variety of sites to store all of our content for whenever we want it, may not be as far as off as once thought.

Has anyone discovered any new shows that they are enjoying?

Flashmonkey
January 4th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Oh wow this is an old thread!

Anyway, I watch tv the old fashioned way haha. I'm not big on all that fancy crap...I usually just watch whatever's on whenever it's on. I'm big on cartoons, though. Jimmy Two Shoes, Futurama, Family Guy, American Dad, Archer and the like.

I've also gotten back into anime...sort of anyway. I've never really been big on anime's due to the whiney nature of some of the characters and ridiculous story arcs, but I caught up on some oldies and some new classics over the Christmas holiday. To name a few: Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Berserk...ok actually those are the only two I've seen thus far haha. I download them and store them on my PC. I also have the Samurai Jack series in it's entirety on my computer. :thumbup:

Cedilla
January 5th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I watch;
Chuck
House
Family Guy
American Dad
Myth Busters
Pawn Stars
Modern Marvels
Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman was a pretty cool series
Usually I watch whatever documentaries that are on the Science, History, or Discovery Channel early in the morning when going to sleep, but not because they're boring.:rolleyes:

8gauge
January 5th, 2011, 09:12 PM
forgive my lack of tech savvy, but does tivo record commercials as well?

it would be great having a t

favorite shows :
-Family Guy
-American Dad
-Scrubs
-United states of Tara
-(new and old) Naruto
-South Park
-The Walking Dead (any zombie show i'll make time to watch)
uhh...wow I had a huge list but i forgot a lot of them.

Alex
January 5th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Tivo (and all DVR's that I know of, at least) does record commercials, but on playback they can be skipped very quickly if desired (30 second skip buttons and quick fast forwarding).

wild-bill
January 6th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I am not interested in the new shows. I have alot of my old favorites on DVD. Best Buy had all 6 seasons of Sanford and Son for $50-what a good deal. I have all 7 seasons of the Dukes of Hazzard. And seasons 1-6 of the Jeffersons-sadly 7-11 was never released on DVD. I'd have to say those 3 are my favorites. I'll watch an occasional episode of Good Times, All in the Family, and Dallas here and there. And I watch ball games-mostly NBA and MLB, especially during the playoffs. Don't care for football or the Superbowl.

What's my favorite show-I'd have to say The Jeffersons. George Jefferson is such a riot-always has me laughing. I'm sure that kind of political incorectness would be taboo on a show today. And George and the maid Florence putting each other down is hilarious. I like the Jeffersons daughter in law Jenny(Berlinda Tolbert). She's gorgeous. Her dark skin is like chocolate.

8gauge
January 7th, 2011, 02:09 AM
I also watch smallville. Erica Durance has become quite the eye candy in the last two seasons. :love:

most of them i just get off of some kind of torrent site and just kill time when i'm at my other office.

gfloyd2002
January 7th, 2011, 03:56 AM
I also watch smallville. Erica Durance has become quite the eye candy in the last two seasons. :love: most of them i just get off of some kind of torrent site and just kill time when i'm at my other office.

I find such objectification of women disgusting. Oh, hell, who am I kidding. Here you go: Erica Durance in Maxim (http://www.maxim.com/amg/girls/girls-of-maxim/44495/erica-durance.html). And I deny having that link very handy. ;)

8gauge
January 7th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I find such objectification of women disgusting. Oh, hell, who am I kidding. Here you go: Erica Durance in Maxim (http://www.maxim.com/amg/girls/girls-of-maxim/44495/erica-durance.html). And I deny having that link very handy. ;)

Usually I objectify women lol, but in Smallville, Erica Durance isn't all slutty looking (but she is in some scenes which is awesome). I think it's the whole bangs swept to the side and the professional secretary/business woman that I find attractive.

Idk, I guess what i'm getting at is that you don't have to be expose 90% of your body to still be considered sexy. Which Erica Durance was able to pull off for me recently.

DRivero
January 9th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Has anyone discovered any new shows that they are enjoying?

ADVENTURE TIME!!!

Not NEW new, but new to us and OMG......freakiest show EVER! Especially after some herbal enhancement. Herbal tea, of course.

My daughter and I record and watch Ghost Hunters and Mythbusters together. The BF and I like Adventure Time and Top Gear (ok, he likes that one better than I do), and I've got him totally hooked on Project Runway....hey, he has no choice.

Family Guy is ever present on the DVR, of course.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alex
January 9th, 2011, 03:50 PM
ADVENTURE TIME!!!

Have never even heard of it! Will add it to the list... Thx!

DRivero
January 9th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Have never even heard of it! Will add it to the list... Thx!

WHAT?? The greatest show on TV, for realz. Supposed to be a kid's show but I don't know ....check out a few episodes and lemme know what YOU think.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alex
January 9th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Two new shows premiered on Showtime tonight: Episodes, and Shameless.

We watched Episodes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Episodes_(TV_series)), it was pretty funny. Haven't watched Shameless yet, but hope to sometime this week.

bluepoof
January 10th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Wow, thanks for the clicker.com pointer! I wish I'd seen that before I rented a bunch of TV shows via iTunes. :lol:

Blackwidow
January 12th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Two and a half men
Mythbusters
I love Lucy (yes the reruns)
keeping up with the Kardashians
Bridezillas (only cuz i want to learn how NOT to be)
South Park
The simpsons
Discovery channel (anything thats on)

Apex
April 7th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I don't watch TV all that much, but there are a few shows I do enjoy.

I like Biggest Loser, but even that gets old on occasion.

So I tend to stick with other shows typically (documentaries, sports, etc). Lately I have been addicted a show on Universal Sports. It is called Take a Seat. It is a documentary series about a bicycle ride across the USA.

Dominic (the host) planned a trip with another guy who dreamed to ride across the country. Well he ended up being diagnosed with cancer, and the chemotherapy weakened him to the point that he couldn't go. So the Dominic decided to (with the approval of the other guy) travel with others, giving them a chance to ride a bicycle for several hundred miles that they otherwise could not do. So the trip is split up into 10 parts, trading off the "companion" on every leg. It is really a great series.

http://www.universalsports.com/take-a-seat/

Anything you watch that you'd recommend?

SSR
April 7th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Hockey. Play-off's are about to start. /end thread

I also enjoy Dragon's Den/Shark's tank (Canadian/American version). Entreperneurs present their businesses/ideas to a group of 5 millionairs/billionairs for investment oppurtunities. The millionaires, using their own personal money, decide whether they want to invest in this business/product or decline. There are some really good ideas/business and also some realy bad ones with a few face palms thrown in.

Flashmonkey
April 7th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I turn on the TV mostly for background noise haha. I mostly watch cartoons anyway, and the odd sci-fi show every now and then. Not exactly high-brow entertainment. :D

tiggen
April 7th, 2011, 12:40 PM
My DVR:

30 Rock
Top Gear
Wind Tunnel
Good Eats
F1
WSBK
MotoGP
AMA Pro Road Racing
Wheeler Dealers
College Lacrosse
Grand AM

and...

WIPEOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alex
April 7th, 2011, 01:59 PM
/merged with our mongo Television thread. :thumbup:

I'm *really* liking Archer.

CynicalC
April 7th, 2011, 06:15 PM
"finished" my htpc some time last year. Canceled cable and just stream or download everything now. We don't watch a whole lot of tv, but I'm kind of an HD snob when we do.

I watch a lot of anime and documentaries. Planet earth, how it's made, amazing structures type of stuff. Otherwise we do watch dexter and mad men and the office. And I keep up on futurama and family guy (this season is terrible) and I'll check out recommended shows every so often. The latest was community which is meh. Gonna check out modern family tonight.

CZroe
April 8th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Pretty much just "House M.D." and "House" (same show but they changed the name in Season 2).

Flashmonkey
April 8th, 2011, 08:44 AM
I'm *really* liking Archer.

That show is hilarious.

reaubideux
May 4th, 2011, 08:09 AM
What's a "Dee... Veee..... Arrrrrr?" :p

*cough*torrents*cough* (plus RSS downloader = shows ready to watch when I wake up)

I'm a huge movie fanatic and TV fan to a lesser extent so this is going to be a rather verbose post.. sorry.

As of tomorrow my family will have been cable-free for exactly 1 year. Don't miss it too much, except for when History channel actually shows something that isn't crappy pseudo-reality TV - Pawn Stars, American Pickers, Ice Road Truckers, et. al. - and actually deals with history; do miss Modern Marvels a bit though. Miss the Discovery, Science, and Military channels but not too much when I think about the fact I'd never get to watch any of those channels anyway.

With a 6-year-old and a 20-month-old at home watching live TV usually consists of news & maybe a Simpson's re-run, and occasionally Letterman's monologue. Everything I watch is d/l'd which is nice since it's edited to remove commercials. My wife doesn't really follow any shows but I got her hooked on a couple of shows. I usually don't get a chance to keep up with shows throughout the season, so I end up just d/l'ing the whole season and watching it over the summer. Here's what I watch:

Top Gear - Best. Show. Ever! (US version is meh, but I'm giving it a chance, the first few seasons of TG UK weren't very good either)
Chuck - absolutely love the geeky references to older movies, perfect for nerds like me in our 30's. Haven't seen a single ep from this season yet.
30 Rock - not sure if it's going to still be good once Baldwin leaves this season
Fringe - schlocky Sci-Fi, probably wouldn't have stuck around if it weren't for Walter. Haven't seen any of this season yet though.
Smallville - this is my guilty pleasure show, and Erica Durance... ahhh.. yeah, yum. Hated the Lana/Clark crap, was so glad when they got rid of her as a primary character.
Mythbusters - pseudo-science made entertaining, although I'm growing a bit tired of the "let's blow some sh*t up" theme that occurs each week.
Futurama - own every season on DVD, sooooo glad it came back.
Hawaii Five-0 - one of those shows I was like "really? they're remaking this?" when I heard about it, then after half-way through the season I heard it was pretty good I went back and d/l'd it and it's actually pretty entertaining. I really like Scott Caan's sarcasm in his role as Dan-o. It's my guilty pleasure show that'll replace Smallville after it's done this season.
The Simpsons - still watching this more out of routine, it has its moments but a long way off from its heyday in the early-mid 90's.
Family Guy - another show that's more of a routine, loved it when it first ran but since it came back it went downhill quickly. Really liked the Star Wars episodes, except the last one, it was weak. Own most of the seasons on DVD but I've been contemplating selling off seasons that came out after it returned to TV.
The Walking Dead - Okay, I haven't watched this yet but I can't wait to, I want to do a marathon viewing and just watch all the episodes in a 1-2 day sitting and haven't had the opportunity

Shows I use to watch:
Lost - actually got my wife hooked on this one
The Good Guys - had never previously gotten disappointed when a show got cancelled until this one. Loved this show and much to my surprise my wife did too.
Better Off Ted - I'd probably feel the same way I do about The Good Guys had I caught this show when it was airing. I went back and watched it after it had been cancelled for awhile, loved it. I held onto the shows on my PC to watch when I just need to kill 20 minutes.

I have a friend at work that has cable and lives for watching TV, we have a lot of similar tastes so he's always recommending shows to me. At his suggestion I do plan to go back and start watching Burn Notice, maybe Archer, and a newer show on F/X called Justified.

My actual home theater setup is a Panasonic Viera TC-P50V10, Sony STR-DN1000 7.1 Receiver, oooollldd Cerwin Vega 5.1 speaker system (by far the weakest link in my system), with a PS3 handling my Blu-Ray/media streaming duties. TV is handled by a Monoprice Indoor/Outdoor HD antenna (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10901&cs_id=1090102&p_id=4730&seq=1&format=2) (LOOOVE this thing, $20 purchase to save me hundreds of dollars for cable TV) ran through my attic and split off to the bedrooms/family room. Everything in the family room is ran through the receiver so we're always getting digital audio. Master bedroom has a Samsung LN32C350 32" LCD on the wall hooked up to an LG BD570 blu-ray player that's also networked so it doubles as a media player as well. House is wired with Cat6e to network everything (all audio/network cabling done myself, TYVM :)). Shows are streamed off my Win7 machine, hate media center so I just use network shares to access the files.

reaubideux
May 4th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Gonna check out modern family tonight.

I tried to like Modern Family but just couldn't. Even with Sofia Vergara as eye candy, I just couldn't get into it.

One show I'm looking forward to is Wilfred (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjSbrUnZe3g) (trailer) on FX this summer, but I honestly don't think it'll last very long.

CynicalC
May 6th, 2011, 11:36 AM
That show is hilarious.

It really is. Check out frisky dingo also, and maybe sealab 2021 if you haven't seen them.

Vampyre
May 6th, 2011, 11:45 AM
Archer
Modern Family
Justified
The Walking Dead
Can't wait for Wilfred
Sons of Anarchy
Bob's Burgers
The IT Crowd - British show about 3 people in IT. My life is the same as Roy's.
Loved Better Off Ted as well

reaubideux
May 6th, 2011, 01:28 PM
It really is. Check out frisky dingo also, and maybe sealab 2021 if you haven't seen them.

+1 for Sealab 2021.

My buddy @ work & I are always quoting that show.

CynicalC
May 6th, 2011, 04:06 PM
+1 for Sealab 2021.

My buddy @ work & I are always quoting that show.

It's a classic ;)

"I love you MC Chris! MC Chris, look at these! They're jiggling baby!

Alex
December 28th, 2011, 03:39 PM
OK - minor update on the technology end. We replaced our media center pc with a new one (3.4 i7, midline nvidia low-power card, 2 x 2 tuner HD cards). Now that it has 4 tuners instead of 2, all network HD recording has been moved over to the PC. It's now tied to a 8 TB NAS instead of a 2 TB one, so we won't run out of space for shows for years if we choose to keep 'em. But - interface is still identical, remote is identical, TV is identical, just a somewhat better gadget hooked to it. We still have the pair of DirecTV DVR's for non-OTA stuff.

On the shows front, we just finished the last few "Chuck" episodes we had recorded, and I'm afraid the show has jumped a whole pile of sharks. It's just not interesting anymore, and isn't likely to be around much longer if I had a hunch. We still liked "Boardwalk Empire" this season, but I didn't think it was as good as last, and the season finale wasn't particularly fulfilling. I didn't like this season of "Damages" much, but my wife did. Really liked the first season of "Game of Thrones", and looking forward to season 2 sometime in April. Also looking forward to the next season of "Justified" that will kick off in January. Ann likes both of the new fairytale type series (Once Upon a Time, and Grimm), but I haven't seen them. I liked the "Sons of Anarchy" season, and am looking forward to the new HBO series "Luck" starting in January as well. It's about horse racing, with Nick Nolte, Dustin Hoffman, and a few other big names in an 8-episode first season.

Anyone else watching something interesting?

CynicalC
December 28th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Anyone else watching something interesting?

Breaking bad is the best show on tv.

What kind of tuners are you using? I stopped paying attention for a while. Was the Ceton 4 a flop after all that hype?

Alex
December 28th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Agreed! *Love* Breaking Bad. Wife can't stand it. :idunno: Can't wait for next season, the ending this season was great.

I put in 2 Hauppauge 2250's (link (http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr2250.html)). They are working great. Once the core driver is installed, Media Center picks them up immediately and installs them as 4 separate digital ATSC tuners. :thumbup: I don't know if the Ceton4 is a flop, the specs look great and I'd consider it if we did use digital cable, but it doesn't record HD-OTA like the 2250's. We have an antenna on our roof that we use for all network recording. If I were going the cablecard route, I'd also look into the HD HomeRun products like this (http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/). It's pretty slick, 3 tuners sitting on your local network, that can be used by any PC (or tablet) to view or record.

kyrider
December 28th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Fox News(every thing)
ESPN(every thing)
Modern Family
Big Bang Theory
Breaking Bad
Dexter
American Horror Story
The Office
Psych
Used to: Friday Night Lights
SNL
MNF
NFL Sunday Prime Ticket
Worlds Strongest man Comp
Two and a Half Men
Cinemax when offered free between 1-4am

capriccio
December 30th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Just bought myself a TV. Can't wait to watch some football, finally.
My favorite shows are: House, Breaking bad, Supernatural, Fringe.
I liked 24 too.

shiroganeshinobi
December 30th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Havent been watching TV much lately but this is what I usually watch.

30 Rock
Archer (Brendon will always been Coach Mcguirk to me)
Arrested Development ( Still need to finish it)

History
Pawn Stars
American Pickers
American Restoration
Swamp People
Big Shrimpin (Looking okay so far)
Top shot (Wasnt fond of this season)

Food Network
Iron Chef
Chopped
Sweet Genius
Cupcake wars (occasionally)

Comedy Central
Anything

Shows I need to watch
The Office
Community
Parks and Rec.
FireFly

Shows I miss
BSG (recent)- Fantastic writing on the show.

I loved Frisky Dingo. Killface for president!

Sealab is a hit and a miss for me sometimes like Aqua teen hunger force. Carl is an awesome character on ATHF. Wigggity Wigggity Whamm.

Alex
February 22nd, 2012, 08:43 PM
I'm enjoying House of Lies (http://www.sho.com/site/houseoflies/home.sho?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=house+of+lies&utm_campaign=houseoflies_houseoflies). It's a bit crude, and a bit unbelievable, but if you ever spent any time as a management consultant, it's quite entertaining.

cuz
February 22nd, 2012, 09:00 PM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb47718/theamazingworldofgumball/images/thumb/2/22/TitleCard.png/660px-1,662,0,360-TitleCard.png

Xoulrath
February 22nd, 2012, 09:03 PM
I watch some South Park here and there on the PC. Every so often I'll watch Family Guy or Tosh.0 or something funny on NetFlix or Hulu. I like documentaries, otherwise I don't watch much in the way of shows.

Alex
March 9th, 2012, 03:45 PM
http://www.ismyshowcancelled.com/article/2012-02-27/archer-renewed-for-season-4/

Archer Renewed For Season 4

13 new episodes have been ordered for the show's fourth season.

February 27, 2012

FX has announced that it has renewed animated comedy Archer for a fourth season, which will be comprised of 13 new episodes. The show is currently in the midst of Season 3, which has four episodes remaining before its finale on March 22, 2012.

There is no timetable set for the show's fourth season return at this time.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_liuzbqmmPk1qbvc38o1_250.png

CynicalC
March 9th, 2012, 06:20 PM
http://www.ismyshowcancelled.com/article/2012-02-27/archer-renewed-for-season-4/

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_liuzbqmmPk1qbvc38o1_250.png

http://i.imgur.com/knmXPm.jpg

akima
March 13th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I haven't had a tv for a long long time now, but I do watch [and love!] many tv series. I like to watch them on my puter usually by myself. I find I get really drawn into a good show and find myself alternating between crying, sitting on the edge of my seat, jumping, shouting at the screen, gawping and grinning. I remember watching Lost with a housemate years ago and multiple times he felt the need to tell me "it's not real!". I much prefer tv series to films.

My favourites are/were:
Battlestar Galactica (2003)
Cowboy Bebop (probably my favourite show)
Dark Angel (I've watched this through like 3 times. The post-apocalyptic setting really pulls me in. Also... NINJAAA!)
Dexter (<3 Dexter... is that bad??)
Falling Skies
Farscape (Rigel was a twat!)
Firefly (Bastards cancelled it :( )
Fringe
Jericho
Jonathan Creek
Justified (Raylan is hawt <3)
Long Way Round (motorcycles!!)
Lost (loved it all except for that last series... which was rubbish)
Samuri Champloo
Sons of Anarchy (motorcycles!!)
Taken (aliens!!)
The Killing (2011) (best crime series i've seen)
The Walking Dead (the first series was better, but I'm still enjoying the second)
The Wire
True Blood (kinky, kinky werewolves and vampires)

I like sci-fi, some supernatural ones (especially with zombies!). I really love mystery (hence Lost and Jonathan Creek are in there). The characters are usually the most important thing for me. I especially love small groups of characters that spend a lot of time together and they all have strong personalities.

cuong-nutz
April 11th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Right now I'm watching Awake, The Firm, and Once Upon a Time. I'm also waiting for The Walking Dead to kick up again too:thumbup:

I would like to get back up to speed with The Big Bang Theory. I've only watched the first and part of the second season when I was in wacky Iraq.

CynicalC
April 12th, 2012, 12:02 AM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14543

The main ones are Breaking Bad, Dexter, The Walking Dead and Mad Men. I'll mix in some other stuff here and there like pawn stars.

Jiggles
April 12th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Breaking bad is good, where you at in it?

CynicalC
April 12th, 2012, 01:03 AM
I'm all caught up with all of them. There was no real cliffhanger at the end. I don't even know how they might start the next season. They're kinda back to square one, so it'll be a surprise. Dexter on the other hand... the season premiere is gonna be intense. And hopefully the walking dead will step up its game too and listen to what the fans want. The show REALLY needs to fall more in line with the comics, which are quite graphic and violent. Not all fru fru like the show has been so far. But if the final 2 minutes of the season finale are a glimpse of things to come, I have high hopes.

Alex
April 12th, 2012, 05:40 AM
/merged

akima
April 12th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I'm all caught up with all of them. There was no real cliffhanger at the end. I don't even know how they might start the next season. They're kinda back to square one, so it'll be a surprise. Dexter on the other hand... the season premiere is gonna be intense. And hopefully the walking dead will step up its game too and listen to what the fans want. The show REALLY needs to fall more in line with the comics, which are quite graphic and violent. Not all fru fru like the show has been so far. But if the final 2 minutes of the season finale are a glimpse of things to come, I have high hopes.

I agree with you about the walking dead! Right now it's basically A Little House on the Prairie, but with zombies. The first season was much more interesting. I still enjoyed the second season though.

cuz
April 12th, 2012, 01:22 PM
http://images.wikia.com/adventuretimewithfinnandjake/images/9/9c/Adventure-time-logo.png

http://www.jpopasia.com/i1/news/3/9317-5zzv570kzx.jpg

cuz
April 12th, 2012, 01:23 PM
ohh i forgot i already posted oh well :p:p

Jono
April 12th, 2012, 01:56 PM
http://nerdbastards.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Dexter-Video-logo.jpg
http://abreakingbadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/breaking-bad-season-2.jpg
http://sharetv.org/images/the_big_bang_theory-show.jpg
http://images.zap2it.com/images/tv-EP00753796/how-i-met-your-mother-15.jpg
http://machinistofpunk.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/sonsofanarchy.jpg
http://pinkelephantsdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/new-girl-fox-zooey-deschanel110928160649.jpg
http://chrisescars.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/top-gear.jpg

And my favorite TV show which is sadly no longer on TV is :(
http://katieinthecity.com/files/2011/06/1308326291-70.jpg

cuong-nutz
April 12th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Just got caught up with TOUCH. It's not that bad. It's getting interesting.

lamchops
June 7th, 2012, 06:28 PM
LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
i hereby revive this thread. :D

House
Bones
Lie to Me
Scrubs
Big Bang Theory
The Daily Show
The Colbert Report
Community
Firefly
Dollhouse
Criminal Minds
Flashpoint
NCIS
various animes

Renner
June 7th, 2012, 10:45 PM
You people watch to much TV...go outside!!!

cuz
June 7th, 2012, 11:17 PM
You people watch to much TV...go outside!!!

Its raining :p:p
4real

CynicalC
June 17th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Today I learned that Sibel Kekilli who plays Shae (Tyrion Lannister's girl) in Game of Thrones used to be a porn star known by the name Dilara.

WARNING ON LINK. *NSFW* (http://www.xvideos.com/video375500/sibel_kekilli_aka_dilara_in_full_scene_plus_bts)

http://i.imgur.com/JQBjxl.jpg

Jiggles
June 17th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Nice

CynicalC
June 17th, 2012, 05:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/i4gM8.jpg

Snake
June 17th, 2012, 06:13 PM
This will be a good career change for her.

CynicalC
June 17th, 2012, 06:31 PM
She plays a prostitute. :laugh:

Snake
June 17th, 2012, 06:37 PM
^^^^^ Talk about being type cast.

Alex
June 17th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Looking forward to The Newsroom (http://www.hbo.com/the-newsroom/index.html). Starts next week. Aaron Sorkin written, a bunch of known actors I already like, and it's on HBO which leaves it more freedom to make it that much more interesting.

CynicalC
June 17th, 2012, 08:13 PM
I'll check that out. I do like Jeff Daniels. I started watching Workaholics. Pretty funny in a south park kinda way in that it's just an easy way to kill 20 minutes. Also watched the first episode of Sons of Anarchy. Yeah I'm a little late to the party. I'll watch a few more and see if we can get into it.

nycsteve
June 20th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Prison Break
Mad Men
Burn Notice
Walking Dead
The Colony
Psych
Monk
White Collar
Suits
Franklin and Bash

Just to name a few. In no particular order.

nycsteve
June 20th, 2012, 01:27 PM
All these are netflixed btw. Too little time to watch these things live. The time spent watching commercials could be better spent on the ninja or xbox!

Alex
June 26th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Wow, just saw the premiere/pilot for the Newsroom. Really enjoyed it.

Alex
June 27th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Seems someone with way too much time on their hands put together a collection of Sorkinisms. It appears he recycles a good bit of dialogue. :)

S78RzZr3IwI

lamchops
June 27th, 2012, 01:43 AM
I'm starting to get into Flashpoint.
That and criminal minds is the only thing I watch on ion. I don't see ncis on this channel anymore tho, idk why :confused: :(

Rossi: "positively entertaining" :)

Alex
June 30th, 2012, 08:05 AM
The season premiere of Louie was great. He bought a motorcycle. :thumbup:

Jono
June 30th, 2012, 08:10 AM
I started watching Workaholics and Game of Thrones. And I am enjoying both!

Alex
June 30th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Weeds and Episodes both kick off tomorrow night on Showtime. :thumbup:

Alex
September 4th, 2012, 05:40 PM
The Breaking Bad season finale was epic. Best cliff-hanger in recent memory. :thumbup:

(can't wait for the final season!)

CynicalC
September 4th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I wish they wouldn't have split the season. It felt too short. One hell of a cliff hanger but I guess we deserve it since we didn't have one at the end of last season. Cranston is directing the first episode of the second half, so that should be cool.

Speaking of killer cliffhangers, Dexter is THIS MONTH!

AznJoJo
September 4th, 2012, 10:07 PM
The Breaking Bad season finale was epic. Best cliff-hanger in recent memory. :thumbup:

(can't wait for the final season!)

Omg, I JUST started my recording... the hype is getting me excited!!! Brb, MAYBE... lol!

Apex
September 5th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Just watched Revolution on demand. Dang, that show looks like it has promise. Then again, the whole concept of the show is awesome.

However, since I am a sucker for archery, crossbows and swords...it only makes sense that I'd be drawn to it. :)

:lol:

AznJoJo
September 5th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Wow, what a way to end the midseason, Breaking Bad is sooooo good!

Does anyone watch Falling Skies? I don't know why I like this show...lol.

CynicalC
September 5th, 2012, 06:59 PM
I also just finished season 3 of Sons of Anarchy. Might be the best season finale I've ever seen.

Alex
September 5th, 2012, 07:30 PM
That was a good one as well, I agree. :thumbup:

akima
September 9th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Does anyone watch Falling Skies? I don't know why I like this show...lol.

Me! Aliens! The show is a bit goofy at times, but I enjoy it. I like the character Ben.

Have you seen Taken (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289830/)? That's a really, really cool tv series. http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/340/c/2/alien_by_mrcannibal-d34cvyo.png

CynicalC
November 27th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Breaking bump.

http://i.imgur.com/KJxto.jpg

Alex
November 27th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Summer 2013 can't get here fast enough. :thumbup:

On an unrelated tangent, that's still relevant for this thread; will be getting a new 55" Samsung LED this Friday to replace our aging DLP. :thumbup:

CynicalC
November 27th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Awesome. I have to replace my LG 47 soon. Samsung would be my go to, but I'm getting really interested in hd projectors.

CynicalC
November 28th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Summer 2013 can't get here fast enough. :thumbup:

On an unrelated tangent, that's still relevant for this thread; will be getting a new 55" Samsung LED this Friday to replace our aging DLP. :thumbup:

Is it this (http://slickdeals.net/f/5540128-Samsung-55-LED-TV-1080p-UN55EH6001FXZA-799-FS-Best-Buy) one? $799 free shipping right now. Kick ass!

Alex
November 28th, 2012, 06:08 PM
No, it's the UN55ES6003 (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55ES6003-55-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B009VRTEP0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354151330&sr=1-1&keywords=UN55ES6003). The 6000/6001 are quite thick; the 6003 and higher versions are much thinner. The difference is backlighting vs. edge lighting. The backlighting apparently allows for the sets to be a little less expensive as they need less components, but it makes the case that much thicker. Amazon was selling them a few days ago for $997 with free shipping when I pulled the trigger. Now it looks like they are back up to $1247 on Amazon, though there are other stores still selling it right around the $1K mark.

Alex
December 31st, 2012, 09:42 PM
Just got a Roku 2 XS (http://www.roku.com/) today. I realized a few days ago how much was available on Amazon Instant Video for Prime members, and then realized that none of it could be watched in HD through a PC alone. But Roku (and bunch of other players) can view it all in HD. So for $80, I figured I'd give it a shot.

Hooked it up this evening, and was playing Angry Birds on it a few minutes later. :) Now the oldest little monster is watching some Lego movie on it.

CynicalC
January 2nd, 2013, 07:36 AM
I vaguely recall netflix coming under fire for something similar, only allowing hd streaming through the standalone players. One of the many reasons I won't pay for a subscription service ever again. Always scheming.

Alex
January 2nd, 2013, 08:21 PM
I agree in principle, but this is a little different in my eyes, as we have Amazon Prime solely for the free 2-day shipping on most things we get there. It's a deal for that alone. That they throw in all of these streaming videos for free does seem like a bonus, and if they choose to only do SD on their own web app, it's hard for me to be too negative on that. The roku has been fun to play with the past few days, and the wife has found a number of interesting fitness channels.

kmcdonald5500
January 10th, 2013, 09:12 AM
My favorite TV show of all time was House. Great, great show. Right now im loving The Walking Dead. Also does anyone watch Survivorman on Discovery Channel with Les Stroud? Thats one of my favorites.

Alex
January 10th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Really enjoying watching the TED talks on the Roku. I know that I could have always gone to the website, but I never got around to it. When it's just a few clicks on a remote, it's that much easier.

Justified had its season premiere yesterday. I really like that show, and this episode was great. :thumbup:

akima
January 20th, 2013, 04:36 AM
Justified had its season premiere yesterday. I really like that show, and this episode was great. :thumbup:

+1

Gibbons is so cool headed!

CynicalC
January 20th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Archer and Workaholics are back. Just started watching Jon Benjamin Has a Van and Portlandia too. Funny stuff.

Alex
January 20th, 2013, 12:47 PM
I tried watching Portlandia, but I couldn't get into it. :idunno:

Loved the Archer season premiere. :thumbup:

CynicalC
January 20th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Yeah that was pretty funny. Somewhat related note, I couldn't get into bobs burgers.

I've felt for a while that I was the only person who didn't watch portlandia. Had to see what all the hype is about. It's weird, but from what I hear, eerily accurate.

AznJoJo
January 24th, 2013, 07:42 PM
CynicalC I couldn't get into Bob's Burgers as well. I'll give it another shot, but it just felt awkward to watch. How come my dvr didn't record Archer...so sad... :(

Does anyone watch Elementary? I like it, reminds me of House for some reason.

CZroe
January 24th, 2013, 08:00 PM
CynicalC...
Does anyone watch Elementary? I like it, reminds me of House for some reason.
That's no coincidence:
House = Holmes ("Homes"-get it?)
Only friend Dr. Wilson = Only friend Dr. Watson
Vicodin addiction = Cocaine problem
APT 221B = 221 Baker St

I deduce that it has always has been an homage to Sherlock Holmes. Elementary, my dear Jojo. Elementary.

CynicalC
January 24th, 2013, 08:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/nUsg8Cf.jpg

AznJoJo
January 24th, 2013, 08:28 PM
That's no coincidence:
House = Holmes ("Homes"-get it?)
Only friend Dr. Wilson = Only friend Dr. Watson
Vicodin addiction = Cocaine problem
APT 221B = 221 Baker St

I deduce that it has always has been an homage to Sherlock Holmes. Elementary, my dear Jojo. Elementary.

Do you see any brain bits on the floor, you should cause my mind just got blown! hahaha! Excellent deduction, CZ!

CZroe
January 25th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Do you see any brain bits on the floor, you should cause my mind just got blown! hahaha! Excellent deduction, CZ!
To make it full-circle, the real-world man Sir Arthur Conan Doyle based his Sherlock Holmes character on was a doctor who reveled in puzzles and deductive reasoning.

Alex
February 2nd, 2013, 09:54 PM
Legit (http://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/legit) is cracking me up. Only 3 episodes in, but I find it very funny. That link lets you see the full episodes directly on FX.

Alex
March 22nd, 2013, 07:25 AM
"The Americans" has been a great first season. Really enjoying this season of Justified as well.

JohnnyBravo
March 22nd, 2013, 07:35 AM
Weeds... Jus sayin

CynicalC
March 22nd, 2013, 04:23 PM
http://i.imgur.com/kBV8f5r.jpg

ally99
March 22nd, 2013, 04:29 PM
I don't watch tv. :D And to be honest, I don't miss it.

CynicalC
March 22nd, 2013, 04:39 PM
There's only a handful of shows I watch anymore, and they're slowly dying out. Breaking Bad is incredible, only half a season left to go though. The office is in its final season as well. The Walking Dead could have been amazing, but I'm almost wishing I never started watching it.

I'm a real sucker for cooking shows. I've really got it narrowed down to a few. I really like master chef. Even though I get the whole gimmick behind it that makes these types of shows successful. But I constantly and stupidly allow myself to get sucked into hell's kitchen...

willk
March 25th, 2013, 01:17 PM
+1 on Breaking Bad being incredible. Better than most movies released these days.

Huge fan of Walking Dead and Game of Thrones as well.

CynicalC
March 25th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Game of thrones is good. Interested to see where they pick up the third season, because the second didn't end the way the book did. I know they're going to have to make some timeline adjustments though, especially for season 4.

JohnnyBravo
March 25th, 2013, 05:30 PM
I watch a few shows from time to time on Netflix and my Xbox.
Duck dynasty the main one... Breaking bad is a great show to, also have a soft spot for British television

Alex
April 5th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Enjoyed the season finale of Justified. This week's episode of The Americans was epic. The Justified finale apparently took some time from the Americans, so it started 10 minutes late. The ending wasn't shown, and was cut off. The good news is FX puts all episodes online immediately, so we could catch the finish. I hope it doesn't put people off the show, as that missing part was pretty eventful.

CynicalC
April 5th, 2013, 05:19 PM
I don't watch this show (The Newsroom) but I thought this was excellent.

1zqOYBabXmA

Feel free to skip to 3:10 for the good part.

Alex
April 5th, 2013, 11:15 PM
That was the best part of the show so far; it's unfortunate it happened a few minutes into the pilot and went downhill from there.

Alex
June 1st, 2013, 11:39 AM
So I watched the new season of Arrested Development over the past week; they released all episodes at once on Netflix. I guess I enjoyed it, but it didn't seem to be as entertaining as the original few seasons. Not sure if it just got a little old, or if the writing wasn't as crisp this time around.

Wife and I are now getting back into Game of Thrones; we're about 15 episodes behind. Harder to catch up on as well, as it's a show we can't really watch it until all little monsters are safely asleep.

CynicalC
June 3rd, 2013, 10:13 PM
I watched the first episode of the new season of arrested development. I'm sure the season will be good, but maybe not like it was. There were major scheduling conflicts filming this season which is while you'll rarely see most of the characters on screen at the same time anymore. Sad because they worked so well together, that's what made the show.

Game of thrones is good, but you'll have to be very careful that no one spoils it for you before you catch up.

Alex
June 4th, 2013, 10:53 PM
OK - fully caught up on Game of Thrones. Damn! I'm now spoiler proof, but also am becoming more interested in the books at this point.

Alex
June 6th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Alternate ending from the Game of Thrones episode last week. Yes it contains spoilers. Do not click if not fully up to date on the story. Intentionally not embedded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6AjgR7D3yg

cuong-nutz
June 11th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Alternate ending from the Game of Thrones episode last week. Yes it contains spoilers. Do not click if not fully up to date on the story. Intentionally not embedded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6AjgR7D3yg

haha

What movie clip is that from??

After watching the the ending, it makes me want to pick up the book. This season of GOT was kind of dull.

Alex
June 11th, 2013, 11:40 AM
The Princess Bride!

Joshorilla
June 13th, 2013, 04:47 AM
I am a pure opertunistic TV watcher, I don't get sucked into series at all.

I wake up at 7am to BBC News South West & Channel Island to catch up on current events.

I get home, watch The Simpsons while eating my dinner 6 till 6:30

If it's the weekend and they're on I watch Top Gear or Dr Who

If David Attenborough is doing any series i'll watch it, maybe Rogue Traders, I like the quiz show Pointless.

If they're re running any Star Trek series except DS9 on CBS Action i'll watch, but get put off by the amount of adverts.

I like the programs where they're in A&E emergency rooms, so long as nobody dies else it bumms me out, I like the ones with the horders because I find the people pathetic and hillarious, watchdog is also a laugh as I like it when the tradesmen get caught and get really pissed off and flip the lid, even better if they assult the shows host.

Anything by Chris Morris, Al Murray, Matt Berry or Noel Fielding.

Never Mind the Buzzcocks and QI ALWAYS!

Hmmm, I watch more TV than I thought :D

allanoue
June 15th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Does anyone watch Longmire? Promos are good and the author is the same guy who wrote Dexter I think.

Katee Sackhoff fans? antiant BlueHairSar

antiant
June 15th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Never heard of her. I'm not really a fan of television shows (I don't get the big deal over them) and hardly watch tv. -_-

allanoue
June 15th, 2013, 06:52 AM
Never heard of her. I'm not really a fan of television shows (I don't get the big deal over them) and hardly watch tv. -_-

oops I remembered wrong meant EternalNewb
http://cdn.cubeme.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Honda_KT600_Classified_MotoKatee_Sackhoff_CubeMe_ShanTara1.jpg

BlueHairSar
June 16th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Sorry, never heard of it.

EternalNewb
July 14th, 2013, 02:48 PM
oops I remembered wrong meant EternalNewb
http://cdn.cubeme.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Honda_KT600_Classified_MotoKatee_Sackhoff_CubeMe_ShanTara1.jpg

Yup, that's me. Alas, I don't watch much tele, and don't have cable. Just means more time writing, with the books, and with the bike, but I'll keep it in mind for the next time I break a limb.:thumbup:

MagicMike
July 14th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Big Archer fan. Raising hope is also entertaining.

Not sure if you get it in the states, but look up Shaun the Sheep. It's a kids show but entertaining for parents also.

http://www.shaunthesheep.com/

Alex
September 8th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Things are picking up again with some great TV at the moment. Breaking Bad counting down the last few episodes, and enjoying each one of them. Low Winter Sun is intriguing. The League started again, as did Sunny in Philadelphia. The Newsroom is back and the writing has once again gotten better. Sons of Anarchy starts in a few days, Boardwalk Empire just kicked off this weekend. I know that the trite response is that we all have a million channels and nothing good is ever on, but it's getting hard to make that argument, unless people really don't like any type of screen-based entertainment.

rasta
September 8th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Yep, September is a gooood time to have TV. What sucks is my cheapo parents don't have nearly as many channels as I had when I was at college up in Chico. So, I have to find other ways (totally not pirating ;) to watch HBO and Showtime series. Haven't seen ANY of the new Dexter season, or The Newsroom. I feel old when I say I like the latter of those lol.

Breaking Bad is a masterpiece. Everything about it is just perfect, including the fact that the writers decided to cap it off at 5 seasons. It's too easy to drag a series on and on (cough Entourage). I read something that said BB could be one of the greatest series of all time, and I'm inclined to agree.

Big ups to AMC and FX, seems like every new show they pump out these days kick lots of ass. Network TV is a crock of ****.

Also, Homeland is starting up again, big fan of that I am.

Panda
September 11th, 2013, 09:03 PM
EternalNewb you're Katie sackhoff?

I feel like I am missing something.

Anyway I was flipping through channels and came across an episode of the mentalist. They were playing paintball and one of the characters had an icon Stryker vest on backwards.

I snickered.

Do threads in here not get updated on the unread posts filter?

allanoue
September 12th, 2013, 07:30 AM
EternalNewb you're Katie sackhoff?

I feel like I am missing something.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1374010832_JoseCansecoGif.gif
[MENTION=12160]
Anyway I was flipping through channels and came across an episode of the mentalist. They were playing paintball and one of the characters had an icon Stryker vest on backwards.

I snickered.

Do threads in here not get updated on the unread posts filter?
you are correct

Panda
September 13th, 2013, 06:23 PM
BBC's Sherlock is a great show if you are looking for something to watch.

allanoue
September 13th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Oct 15
TWD

rasta
September 15th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Breaking Bad. That is all

akima
September 16th, 2013, 12:24 AM
I've really enjoyed a little series called Under The Dome (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1553656/). It's based on a Stephen King novel. Very mysterious! It's not a high quality show like Breaking Bad or Dexter, but that doesn't matter to me - as long as it suspends my disbelief and is fun.

Alex
November 26th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Masters of Sex (http://www.sho.com/sho/masters-of-sex/home) on Showtime is flipping fantastic. Writing, acting, story, it's incredible.

Caught up on Homeland over the past few weeks, which has been OK. Better than the second season, but not as engrossing as the first season IMO. Same with Boardwalk Empire. Good, but not great.

Alex
December 24th, 2013, 11:04 AM
OK, we're sheep. We watched the first two episodes of Dexter a few days ago, and wondering if we want to get into that series.

rasta
December 24th, 2013, 11:50 AM
OK, we're sheep. We watched the first two episodes of Dexter a few days ago, and wondering if we want to get into that series.

Ehh it's okay. I don't love it at much as other people. I'm not into Michael C Hall's emotionless narrating.....makes me feel like he wants to be Batman

ally99
December 24th, 2013, 07:05 PM
I'm really into Breaking Bad on Netflix right now. I'm on season 4, episode 8. I hope to finish season four during Christmas break.

JohnnyBravo
December 24th, 2013, 08:49 PM
I miss my tv watchin partner, so the tv doesn't cut on much these days, nor the Xbox... But the bike runs good :clapping:

allanoue
February 2nd, 2014, 11:48 AM
Walking Dead marathon today :thumbup:

antiant
February 2nd, 2014, 11:53 AM
I am now addicted to The Following, smh.

NevadaWolf
February 2nd, 2014, 07:05 PM
Oh let's see, tend to watch TV via Roku (Netflix, Crackle, and Amazon), iPad (Netflix), over the air (very limited stations), and streaming (ABC, PBS)

Shows vary from BBC stuff (Sherlock, Doctor Who, Red Dwarf, Top Gear) to anime (Soul Eater, Fullmetal Alchemist, Fairy Tail), to fantasy stuff (Merlin, Buffy, Lost Girl).

Plus whatever random stuff gets suggested through Netflix.

Sykes92
February 14th, 2014, 01:18 AM
http://drakesflames.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/how.jpg

Everyone raves about AMC's The Walking Dead (which I do like). But this show is seriously a AMC gem. For anyone who likes westerns or really enjoyed Red Dead Redemption, this show is for you. I've never seen a show progress the way this one does. And it's decently historically accurate (the era portrayed, not necessarily the events ). It starts in 1875 and follows an ex-confederate soldier in his career on a railroad. Everyone is still using cap and ball revolvers which makes it pretty interesting in fight scenes. You will actually see people carry spare cylinders that are pre-loaded instead of extra bullets. It's pretty neat and the first two seasons are on Netflix, while the third can be purchased digitally on Amazon.

Skullz
February 14th, 2014, 06:00 AM
My fav shows are from PBS, NOVA and Nature.

antiant
February 14th, 2014, 07:20 AM
^ Those are great shows too. Mental stimulation ftw.

tfkrocks
February 14th, 2014, 08:30 AM
I'm currently obsessed with Orange is the New Black. I want Season 2 to come out already dammit! I also follow Community, Doctor Who, and Sherlock.

antiant
February 14th, 2014, 03:07 PM
I'm currently obsessed with Orange is the New Black. I want Season 2 to come out already dammit! I also follow Community, Doctor Who, and Sherlock.Oooooh yes, OITNB too (forgot about that one)! Can't wait for the 2nd season. :D

allanoue
February 14th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Oooooh yes, OITNB too (forgot about that one)! Can't wait for the 2nd season. :D

Forgot? How?

allanoue
February 14th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Forgot? How?

Did she kill her (I bet not)

akima
February 14th, 2014, 03:27 PM
I am now addicted to The Following, smh.

I watched the first couple episode of that and it didn't hold me at all. I really enjoyed Hannibal though. There's a new season starting at the end of February.

rasta
February 14th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Is House of Cards as good as everyone says?

antiant
February 16th, 2014, 01:14 PM
wo0t!

yr01fJwzcks

tfkrocks
February 19th, 2014, 02:10 AM
:happy70: Yeahhhhhh so excited! There's a possibility that I wouldn't be able to actually watch it til a few weeks later though due to circumstances.

EternalNewb
February 24th, 2014, 12:56 PM
So I've started watching Buffy again, while doing stationary exercises. Someone stop me now.

NevadaWolf
February 24th, 2014, 01:15 PM
So I've started watching Buffy again, while doing stationary exercises. Someone stop me now.

No pain no gain. ;)

*said as a fun of Buffy who did sit through a Netflix marathon to watch the whole series. Once was enough for the whole thing. Luckily there are a few eps worth watching again.

EternalNewb
February 24th, 2014, 04:04 PM
I'm in season 5. I may or may not bug you about it because most of my friend either haven't watched it, or are way too prone to spoiling character/plot points for me.:o

Klondike1020
February 24th, 2014, 04:06 PM
I don't watch tv. :D And to be honest, I don't miss it.

^ what she said :clapping:

EternalNewb
February 24th, 2014, 04:12 PM
I'm watching Buffy on dvd. Haven't had tv since I can recall, and don't often sit still long enough to watch unless I'm 1)on a stationary cycle, 2)doing burpees/pushups/v-ups, etc, or 3)checking email etc. That said, it's 2014, and I still haven't finished Battlestar Galactica or Buffy, and they've both been on the top of my priority list for nearly, if not over a decade now. :o

NevadaWolf
February 24th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Bug away, I won't spoil things if I know you are actually watching it.

I tend to like concepts over specifics and love discussing them. Ie the whole Slayer/Watcher vs Evil thing over angsty bubble headed teens. Not a fan of Buffy herself (the character) but do enjoy the series.

Probably the last decent vampire show before :gak: Twilight

ally99
February 24th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Threadjack:
All the "Alex" avatar pics are annoying. I was thinking, "Alex watches Buffy?!?" Alex you should copyright your avatar pic. :lol:

Alex
May 4th, 2014, 02:26 AM
Watched the first few episodes of Fargo. It rocks.

Looking forward to Louie starting up again tomorrow...

akima
May 6th, 2014, 01:43 PM
Watched the first few episodes of Fargo. It rocks.

I've been watching Fargo too. Do people in Minnesota actually sound like the people in the show?

Joshua763
May 6th, 2014, 01:49 PM
you betcha some do.

akima
May 6th, 2014, 01:51 PM
you betcha some do.

Was I supposed to read that with the Fargo-people accent? Because I did... and then I laughed :p

antiant
June 6th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Binge watching OITNB! I miss Alex. :D

akima
June 7th, 2014, 01:57 AM
^ I have to wait until tomorrow to watch it.

https://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/236/7/d/IMing__Digital_Piracy_by_Emotikonz.gif

antiant
June 7th, 2014, 05:58 AM
I made it to episode 7, will finish the rest today probably. -_-

allanoue
June 7th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Just watched S2 E1

tfkrocks
June 8th, 2014, 12:28 AM
Binge watching OITNB! I miss Alex. :D

I'm only just downloading it now because I had to wait until I had free time and free wifi lol. I'm waiting for it to download in lieu of sleeping...

Mocha Man
June 8th, 2014, 12:49 AM
I've tried watching OITNB, but it wasn't as great as I have heard people say they thought it was. I turned back to mind-numbing adult cartoons instead. Why not?

http://bensbargains.net/thecheckout/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/zoidberg-futurama-propaganda-poster.jpg

corksil
June 8th, 2014, 01:17 AM
I don't watch television.

antiant
June 8th, 2014, 10:14 AM
I'm only just downloading it now because I had to wait until I had free time and free wifi lol. I'm waiting for it to download in lieu of sleeping...LOL. I'm done with the show, finished last night. *avoids spoilers*

antiant
June 8th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Forgot to mention, I've been watching Cosmos and Portlandia too. Cosmos is awesome and Portlandia is hilarious and ridiculous.

cuong-nutz
June 8th, 2014, 04:19 PM
The Americans. Slow start but keeps me still interested. Might have to check out OITNB after I finish up.

tfkrocks
June 10th, 2014, 11:58 PM
Ok I finished season 2 of oitnb. That was intense. Now I'm going to be sad waiting a year for the next season.

Alex
July 14th, 2014, 02:53 PM
Happy that Masters of Sex is back on; the first episode was great. Watching both Resurrection and the Leftovers. The last two are very similar concepts. Lukewarm on both of them, actually.

CynicalC
July 16th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Cops season premier was last week. So, pretty stoked about that.

salcuta88
September 26th, 2014, 07:00 PM
My wife's and my favorite show is "Everybody Loves Raymond."

jh1A76_PBxU

LittleRedNinjette
September 26th, 2014, 07:13 PM
I have to pick one??? :eek:

Thats a hard one... Game of Thrones is high up there. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. too... Once Upon A Time...

Desmoluci
September 26th, 2014, 07:42 PM
BUjMs1JrhJM

Whiskey
September 28th, 2014, 06:09 AM
Of alltime it's got to be either the sopranos or breaking bad, top gear is on the shortlist too.

I usually pick something up a couple of seasons in & hammer through a season in a coupe of days if I'm off sick

(off topic why do parents insist on bringing their kids into the A&E with some highly contagious virus that gets better on its own in a few days? That's the idea dickhead, give everyone your kid's norovirus, including the really ill kids & the hospital staff)

Ninjinsky
September 28th, 2014, 06:43 AM
The discrete love story
/LmDKf2wiKFw

tfkrocks
September 29th, 2014, 03:15 AM
I finally finished Futurama! such a good ending. it was my favorite show for a long time.

current favorite is definitely orange is the new black.

LittleRedNinjette
September 29th, 2014, 05:38 AM
Anyone see the premiere of Gotham? That may be a new favorite. Cant wait for tonight's episode. :D

Alex
September 29th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Liked Gotham quite a bit! It's one of the only new shows I've liked so far this season, the rest have been pretty blah.

LittleRedNinjette
September 29th, 2014, 07:29 AM
As far as new series go that the only one i've seen.

The season premiere of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was awesome though. I realy like how they tied it all together with Winter Soldier so well.

I still have to watch Sleepy Hollow...

salcuta88
September 29th, 2014, 08:21 AM
Haven't even heard of Gotham TV Show. The new Blackish show looks funny. Saw the first episode last week.

LittleRedNinjette
September 29th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Not much of a sitcom fan. Some are good, like The Middle or Last Man Standing. Most i realy couldn't care less about.

Big Bang is awesome though. :thumbup:

csmith12
September 29th, 2014, 10:58 AM
TV?!!? I gotz no time for that. I try to catch the weather for the next day @ 11 but often have to ask the wife what was reported.

Bottom line... I don't watch TV but when I do, it's normally some cartoon with the kids. 9 times out of 10 it's spongebob. lol

Ninjinsky
September 29th, 2014, 11:16 AM
TV?!!? I gotz no time for that. I try to catch the weather for the next day @ 11 but often have to ask the wife what was reported.

Bottom line... I don't watch TV but when I do, it's normally some cartoon with the kids. 9 times out of 10 it's spongebob. lol

Yep, I have not had a TV for 10 years now, saved around $2000 on UK TV licenses also.
You have to pay the UK government about $200 a year for permission to watch TV or its fines and imprisonment. And they tell you how bad Russia is LoL :)

csmith12
September 29th, 2014, 11:20 AM
2k is a track bike a year. ijs.... Image what you could buy if you had no cable or sat. bill?

salcuta88
September 29th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Yep, I have not had a TV for 10 years now, saved around $2000 on UK TV licenses also.
You have to pay the UK government about $200 a year for permission to watch TV or its fines and imprisonment. And they tell you how bad Russia is LoL :)

What? Why in the world do you need a TV license?

Anyway, I don't have cable. Just netflix, which is $8 a month.

LittleRedNinjette
September 29th, 2014, 12:55 PM
Anyway, I don't have cable. Just netflix, which is $8 a month.

I dropped them when they split the DVD and streaming services and wanted you to pay double what you had been for both. :mad: