View Full Version : A reminder about our dangerous hobby

littlemike
March 4th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Spring is just around the corner and that mean beautiful weather for people to go out and enjoy a ride on our bikes. But we also got to stay focus on safety while we drive and look out for other people on the road and/or any other hazard that you may encounter.

I live in Texas and we been having some awesome weather and I see lots of bike riders on the street lately but we had also two fatal accident in the past week alone. :faint2: About 3 weeks ago, a motorcycle cop got side swipe by a minivan !! :eek: Police officer was ok, he got release from the hospital a day later and credited is safety gear for only getting minor cuts and bruises.

Here a related story in my local newspaper

http://www.amarillo.com/stories/030409/new_12385290.shtml

kkim
March 4th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Yes... tis the season. :(

djindia23
March 4th, 2009, 11:26 AM
cant wait to get back out there... its like in the teens here in jersey.... hoping by end of march or beginning of April to get back out there...

OldGuy
March 4th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Here a related story in my local newspaper http://www.amarillo.com/stories/030409/new_12385290.shtml

If you read the article you find some horrifying statistics. In 2007 403 motorcycle riders lost their lives in Texas.

What is even sadder is that 57% were not wearing a helmet (TX is a no helmet state if you are >21 and have taken a MSF course and prove you have at least $10,000 in insurance).

And, 39% were legally drunk.

The lose of any life is tragic, especially if any of the fatalities were just passengers, but just maybe in these cases it was the Darwin theory at work.

ninjablk08
March 4th, 2009, 12:16 PM
its sad:(,ride safe to ride again ,all gear and in control speed to live sounds good to me,and of course don't drink and drive, ca you must wear a helmet

G250RSC
March 4th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Can't wait either...25 today but will be 80 on Friday. Yes on the bike again...after my oil change. Wishing everyone a safe ride as ninjablk08 said. GEAR GEAR GEAR!!

jpnfrk
March 4th, 2009, 07:21 PM
[...]just maybe in these cases it was the Darwin theory at work.

How so? :confused:

Sailariel
March 4th, 2009, 08:19 PM
If you read the article you find some horrifying statistics. In 2007 403 motorcycle riders lost their lives in Texas.

What is even sadder is that 57% were not wearing a helmet (TX is a no helmet state if you are >21 and have taken a MSF course and prove you have at least $10,000 in insurance).

And, 39% were legally drunk.

The lose of any life is tragic, especially if any of the fatalities were just passengers, but just maybe in these cases it was the Darwin theory at work.

Don, I fully agree with you about helmets. Here in Maine the law requires you to wear one for the first year that you have your MC License--after that it is optional. You don`t even have to have taken Psychology 101 to see that one coming. The helmet will come off after the year is up, if not before as a rite of passage. Nobody wants to look like a newb. It is the most absurd law that I have ever seen. It has been on the books for years. We have a lot of fatalities for a state with such a small population.

OldGuy
March 4th, 2009, 08:22 PM

Survival of the fittest or those with the required skill/intelligence to survive life?

NJD022588
March 4th, 2009, 09:08 PM

People smart enough to wear helmets are more likely to survive a crash... survival of the fittest.

jpnfrk
March 4th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Oh gotcha, I guess you're right... but that being said, it's a sad reality. Reckless people apparently love turning into statistics and I hope that everyone in this forum is smart enough to wear the gear all the time... :pray:

OldGuy
March 4th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Oh gotcha, I guess you're right... but that being said, it's a sad reality. Reckless people apparently love turning into statistics and I hope that everyone in this forum is smart enough to wear the gear all the time... :pray:

It is sad - especially for family members that are left behind with only memories. I know we can't control everything but not wearing a helmet or driving under the influence is just plan stupid.