View Full Version : More power??

mikey00409
August 16th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Anyone know any good ways to get more power out of the ninja 300? Exhausts, tuning, ect?

fishdip
August 16th, 2013, 10:46 PM
Anyone know any good ways to get more power out of the ninja 300? Exhausts, tuning, ect?
You just listed the first 2 places to start. Next in line is if you want faster off the line bigger back sprocket. If you want it to go faster then 105 or so tie it to the back of a 636:D

Somchai
August 17th, 2013, 12:28 AM
If you want it to go faster then 105 or so tie it to the back of a 636:D

Why the 636 instead of the ZX-14 or much better take the Hayabusa and the best is the Busa with TURBO (but I think then the 300 will lose her 'shoes'...)

psych0hans
August 17th, 2013, 01:15 AM
Someone here is working on a turbo kit for the 300... You might wanna watch out for that... some 30% more power is promised... that equals about 45-50 hp at the rear wheel, depending on your state of tune...

JohnnyBravo
August 17th, 2013, 04:59 AM

Welcome to the forum mikey!!!

Money = power!!!
That really depends on how much power you want, and how dedicated you are to getting it. If you want off the shelf power gains, exhaust (full race type), and tuner are up on the list, air box snorkel delete, pod filters, then ya get into sprockets, then it goes into what can you afford or fabricate etc. you'll need a good tuner to keep your fuel / air in check though if ya do much of anything to the engine wise.

JohnnyBravo
August 17th, 2013, 05:08 AM
Find the 300 racers they are around, you race? Or you want street power?
Setasi is one company working out a turbo system. I heard someone using nitrous.

No one has had the time, money, or want to find the true limits of the 300's potential yet. I ain't seen one big bore kit, or full motor redo yet... It's coming though.

I like your thread, it makes me wonder what could really be if someone threw hell an all at the 300!!!

choneofakind
August 17th, 2013, 05:40 AM
Sprockets to make power?? Really? You get off the line about the same because you end up shifting more with shorter hearing. I've run 14/47, 14/45, and 15/45. They all work...

Anyhow, start with pod filter, full exhaust and fueling. If you're not satisfied from there, go to ignition timing. I know the 300 has rather retarded timing and could be advanced. After that, you'll be looking at hot cams high compression pistons/gasket (haven't seem anything like this yet) and boring out the cylinders and porting the intake and using larger intake valves.

If you're really dedicated about this, talk to racer x. Check out his blog to see what success he's had with cams/pistons for the 250 and expect similar battles with the 300. Also search for mgentz and tubarney's adventures with their 250 engine builds by searching 'NA ultimate build'.

From just a pod filter, a full exhaust, and fuel mapping, we've seen very impressive numbers from area p. imagine what it could be with ignition advance and internal changes! :thumbup: Johnnybravo is right though, your quest for power will require money. How much you want depends how much it's worth to you.

mikey00409
August 17th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Are there any DIY for the air box on here? And any ideas on tuners?

choneofakind
August 17th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Tuners:
Fuel moto (through area p)
Power commander (can adjust ignition timing as well)
Bazzaz
Leo Vince (not 100% sure, I know they make one for the eu-spec 250)

There's a couple DIY threads on removing the air box from the 250. Same basic process. Just make sure you get a little breather filter for the crank vent and a clamp on filter(s) for the throttle bodies. The same clamp on filters fork for the 300 as the 250. K&n makes the R-0990 which has dual openings and uses one pod for both tb's and is very convenient/clean looking.

choneofakind
August 17th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Oh! Now that I think about it, I remember reading about a member prepping his 300 as a full on track bike for use in the super bike class (no restrictions on mods, aka 100% awesomeness) and he was looking for cams and pistons and iirc was talking about ignition advancing. Search '300 superbike' and you'll find it. You might want to keep in contact with him to see where he ends up as far as cams and pistons and fuel maps goes.

Just a thought.

Motofool
August 17th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Are there any DIY for the air box on here? And any ideas on tuners?

Welcome to the site, Mike !!!

All our DIY are here:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5586

Don't expect miracles, after a lot of money and sweat you may feel a little increment in the power of a limited powered bike (a 105% of little is still little). :)

Work in the rider before working on the bike !!!

Dark
August 17th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Full exhaust, K&N pod filter, and a tune will net you the most power for the least amount of money.

You can dabble with cams, lightening the crank, and possibly even higher compression (custom pistons and/or rods). It all comes down to money.

csmith12
August 17th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Work in the rider before working on the bike !!!

^^^ This

I have spent about $1k in mods to my 250 for a loss of 2 sec per lap. :mad: I know it's 99% me making me slow, not the bike. :(

Yes333Yes
April 3rd, 2014, 11:33 AM
You just listed the first 2 places to start. Next in line is if you want faster off the line bigger back sprocket. If you want it to go faster then 105 or so tie it to the back of a 636:D
I've gone 108 on my stock 300 when it was NAKED! well I did have my K&N in already...

csmith12
April 3rd, 2014, 11:35 AM
Welcome Duncan!

JohnnyBravo
April 3rd, 2014, 04:51 PM
I've gone 108 on my stock 300 when it was NAKED! well I did have my K&N in already...

My speedo showed 112 before I got to my exit an slowed down, stock with full body.

:welcome:

cbinker
April 3rd, 2014, 05:39 PM
My speedo showed 112 before I got to my exit an slowed down, stock with full body.

that is probably around 105.

Sirref
April 3rd, 2014, 06:35 PM
^ rule of thumb I subtract 8mph when over 100mph so that fits about right. I usually ignore my speedo but I've seen it up at 122mph before on a long downhill stretch. Still surprises me sometimes that I want more top speed considering that I mostly ride on back roads when I'm not commuting.

on topic, increase the size of the rear sprocket and keep the stock front sprocket size. Your top speed will decrease a little bit but you'll get a little bit more power off the line. These bikes aren't really made for top speed anyway so if that's what you want you should just get a 600 (disclaimer: those things have serious balls in the powerband and are overkill on the street, plus they suck for commuting purposes if you use your bike for that) power remap + full exhaust work in your favor too.
There are rumors of a possible ninjette areaP full exhaust group buy in the works, those tend to give you good performance gains with these bikes.
Before you start modding your bike though, ask yourself what you want to get out of it. If you want a rocket then you're on the wrong bike long term and you should start saving for an upgrade after you feel as though you've gotten what you can out of your investment in a ninjette (they can go pretty quick down a back road, even on stock rubber), but if you want a bit more power without the downsides of a real rocket and don't have any intention of hitting speeds above 110 or so regularly then go ahead and mod the bike.

JohnnyBravo
April 3rd, 2014, 06:54 PM
What's the ref talkin bout???

Sirref
April 3rd, 2014, 06:57 PM
gps verfied top speed is roughly 8mph lower than the top speed you see on your speedo. Tested w/my dad's garmin, when I saw 122mph on my dash it read out a 114mph top speed.

That and to think about how much more power you want out of your bike before modding it, if you want a rocketship then you should look into getting a 600 instead of modding the ninjette.

Yes333Yes
April 3rd, 2014, 09:18 PM
I just started racing my 300 at Chuckwalla in So-Cal and my first round I went bone stock. Second round I added woodcraft rear-sets and clip-ons and dropped 6 seconds. Some mods def help more than others. Ground clearance and riding position will probably change more time for me than power ever will. Although I'm looking into getting a full Area P exhaust and tuning it....
Thanks for the welcome :D

GHill762
April 4th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Someone on the other forum ordered cams for it.. they're gonna dyno before and after install.. may be something to keep an eye on.. relatively inexpensive too..

JasonG134
April 7th, 2014, 01:24 PM
I just started racing my 300 at Chuckwalla in So-Cal and my first round I went bone stock. Second round I added woodcraft rear-sets and clip-ons and dropped 6 seconds. Some mods def help more than others. Ground clearance and riding position will probably change more time for me than power ever will. Although I'm looking into getting a full Area P exhaust and tuning it....
Thanks for the welcome :D

Not trying to high jack thread...

You are running stock suspension? If stock shock, what do u weigh? Any major issues?
My Ohlins is on back order, I'm 190, and I have races this weekend. I have race tech springs emulators up front.
If anyone has some input, pls.chime in.

CC Cowboy
April 7th, 2014, 04:58 PM
The easiest way to go faster in by losing weight, either on the bike or on the body. For every pound you lose you gain 2.357 HP.

Yes333Yes
April 8th, 2014, 12:27 AM
Sorry, been busy. Yes, I'm running stock suspension. Haven't even done a tweak to it. I won't be able to help you much on setting either, I was 148lbs last time I weighed myself....yesterday maybe lol

GHill762
April 8th, 2014, 06:32 AM
The easiest way to go faster in by losing weight, either on the bike or on the body. For every pound you lose you gain 2.357 HP.

so if I lose 50lbs my ninja will be a 150hp monster?

your HP doesn't go up, your power to weight ratio goes up (which is more important than actual HP anyway).

Alex
April 8th, 2014, 06:55 AM
http://www.influx.com.br/imgblog/hook%20line%20and%20sinker%20final.jpg

subxero
April 8th, 2014, 07:22 AM
It would seem that approximately 2hp would be roughly equivalent to loosing 30ish lbs on the 300. 30lbs is no easy task.

Figure you could probably drop 20lbs with out much trouble (exhaust, LW battery, lose pass pegs, lw rotors/sprocket, fender elim, but after that you will be spending some serious money for minimal weight loss. Aluminum and Ti bolts/nuts are not cheap. Could probably lose close to 2-3lbs by replacing both axle bolts along with nuts with Ti, only cost you around $700 bucks or so :thumbup:

If you go on a diet, you can lose weight,maybe save money (maybe not healthy food seems more expensive than un healthy, so just eat less acutally), use money saved to buy LW parts, double win :thumbup:

I have done some weight reduction on my 250, I am curious to how much it currently weights, when I am done with everything I will put it on the scale. I just need to do some weight reduction myself, I am pretty heavy these days, not fat/overweight, just heavy. 5'8" 185 :eek:

Jiggles
April 8th, 2014, 08:04 AM

The fastest I could get mine on the track was just over 100

Jiggles
April 8th, 2014, 08:08 AM
Not trying to high jack thread...

You are running stock suspension? If stock shock, what do u weigh? Any major issues?
My Ohlins is on back order, I'm 190, and I have races this weekend. I have race tech springs emulators up front.
If anyone has some input, pls.chime in.

I'm 200lbs with stock suspension, survived my first races

capt_bugaloo
April 8th, 2014, 08:10 AM
If you really want more power, sell the 300 and get a bigger bike. Any modifications you come up with will only give you a couple more HP here or there.

rojoracing53
April 8th, 2014, 08:16 AM
I added at least 10lbs to my bike since my last track day and as a result I went 1.5secs faster. Everyone knows a heavier bike has more mass so it hold more corner speed, thus making it faster.

choneofakind
April 8th, 2014, 08:31 AM
:lol: seems legit

CC Cowboy
April 8th, 2014, 08:52 AM
I added at least 10lbs to my bike since my last track day and as a result I went 1.5secs faster. Everyone knows a heavier bike has more mass so it hold more corner speed, thus making it faster.

That's why liter bikes are faster in the corners!

supersport
May 28th, 2014, 10:11 PM
Check out daniel cower racing

http://danielcrowerracing.com/c-143559-powersports-mx-atv-utv-street-streetbike-kawasaki-street.html

Takes about 2weeks for him to get it done.

Adds 3-7 hp from my conversion with him.

Also look into weight reduction - batteries, wheels, tires, rear shock, replace fasteners with titanium bolts.

You can potentially save 30lbs