View Full Version : First Ride

NICUNinja
March 5th, 2009, 07:08 PM
The weather was finally warm enough today to get the bike out for its first and my first ride, a high of 8 celsius . I had my husband take me to a back road to get started. He was quite calm, surprisingly as I'm a virgin rider. I was very nervous but after an hour of starting and stopping I was able to get my feet up on the pegs and give it enough gas to coast about 20 km/h. My poor husband sure got a workout running next to and behind the bike.:p
I didn't get it out of first, maybe next time.:rolleyes:
It was a good start to getting comfortable, I can't wait for my next lesson.
I'm taking the Motorcycle course in May, I hope that the weather stays good so I can get some time on the bike.

kkim
March 5th, 2009, 07:11 PM
lol... I never knew you had never ridden before! Congrats!! Must be a euphoric feeling to have your wings, eh? :)

ARc
March 5th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Congrats on riding! I was in Canada this winter break and I know how freaking cold is up there.

I wish my girlfriend taught me how to ride a motorcycle. Would be much more entertaining that way. You'll have a lot of fun at the course when you go. And be much better than the other newbs that have just gotten on the bike for the first time.

Did you stall for the first 20 minutes? I did, because I was scared of engine noise past 5K RPM. :D

OldGuy
March 5th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Way to go Trista - I know you are going to have a lot of fun.

Sound Wave
March 5th, 2009, 08:45 PM
congrats on your first ride!!! i didn't know you never rode before either.

if you think riding in first gear is fun, wait til you try second gear. :)

i am happy for you!

jpnfrk
March 5th, 2009, 09:10 PM
I hope you have lots of fun and don't forget to gear up!! :p

ninjabrewer
March 5th, 2009, 10:41 PM
WHOO HOO
:clapping::partytime10::rad:

congrats, and to plus up on Sound_Wave, wait you get to 3rd gear.

nb

Ken
March 5th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Congrats! :canada:

grandmaster
March 5th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Congrats....you probably won't get out of first gear though unless your husband can run 25mph....which even the fastest olympian can't do...i dont think haha.

tlhamon
March 6th, 2009, 04:47 AM
It can be pretty intimidating at first, but stick with it and within a month you will be searching for a bigger bike with more HP :) Once the bug bites you, it's hard to control. Supposed to be 65 in Detroit today so I will be out too.

BlueTyke
March 6th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Yay!! Way to go! First steps then (s)miles!

NICUNinja
March 6th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Second Lesson - Another nice day today, high of 17 celsius. Out we went for lesson 2. After reviewing what I did yesterday, I asked my husband how to shift to second. He had me practice using the clutch and gas in first then told me to get it going and give it a try. While he is standing on the side of the road watching ... Off I go. :p No problem, I'm in second ... not so bad. :)
Seeing as I got into second I figured I'd try another, all the way up to 5 th and 100 km/h. My poor hubby didn't know what had happened, he just shook his head and laughed. We ended up having to go back for the car so that he could follow me around now that I've found my wings.

kkim
March 6th, 2009, 03:34 PM
:angel:

OldGuy
March 6th, 2009, 03:53 PM
We ended up having to go back for the car so that he could follow me around now that I've found my wings.

Another beautiful bird has left the nest. :thumbup:

g21-30
March 6th, 2009, 04:15 PM
You go girl! :thumbup:

ninjabrewer
March 6th, 2009, 04:25 PM
:thumbup:

I drink to that....

:drinkingbeer:

nb

jpnfrk
March 6th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Trista, it sounds like you're a natural, born to ride!! :D

NICUNinja
March 6th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks, it sure felt good.:)
I can't believe that I got her going so good on my second trip.
My poor husband, I think he is still in shock ... all he can do is shake his head and grin.:p
Now I can't wait to take the course. I was so nervous that I wouldn't have the co-ordinatation to ride a bike.

komohana
March 7th, 2009, 04:57 PM
glad to see you've started to practice and ride :thumbup:

jpnfrk
March 7th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I was worried with coordination too, especially with target-fixating on shiny things, or a cute squirrel crossing the road, etc.

But so far I'm concentrating on familiarizing with my Itoshii so that if I can't help staring at a good-looking guy walking his dog, at least I know what to do next without looking down at my controls. :lol:

noche_caliente
March 8th, 2009, 08:25 PM
congratulations hon! great to see that you're out there.... now did he happen to get some pics of these first rides that you can share with us?

NICUNinja
March 8th, 2009, 10:15 PM
No pics yet ... I don't think either one of us can believe I progressed to taking the bike for an actual ride after just 1 lesson. Maybe this week if the weather clears up, rain rain rain...

NICUNinja
March 17th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Okay, I now have over 250 km of riding time and I have a question regarding hills. I have a small incline to get my bike out of the driveway. The driveway is reclaimed asphalt (a bit of a loose texture) and I wasn't thinking, I can admit it. I took the bike up the hill and then had to stop because we come out onto a highway and a car was coming too fast. I had a panic moment (okay several within a short 30 sec period) I had the front brake engaged, both feet down, the clutch on and I got the throttle reved up ... I let the clutch out and brake off and then gave it more gas than what I was comfortable with but I did get it out of the driveway. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Cali619
March 17th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Starting on a hill is the hardest I had to learn at first without stalling. Just takes practice but as long as you got the friction zone down give it the gas it needs to power up the incline :)

Sound Wave
March 17th, 2009, 09:31 AM
when i started riding, one friend suggested that i keep the back brake applied. then use some gas and slowly let go of the clutch. as you feel the bike start wanting to move, start to gently remove the brake and add more gas.

didn't work for me though.... somehow i kept killing the engine. maybe i should try it that way again.

what works for me is to keep the front brake applied, with my pinky and ring finger. turn the throttle with my other three. slowly let go of the clutch and then release the front brake.

of course, if it is just a "slight" incline, i let go of the brake all together. give some gas and then slowly let go of the clutch. you won't roll back much by the time you get into the friction zone.

Viper-Byte
March 17th, 2009, 12:19 PM
There is a hill I have to go up to get onto the highway here and after work it is often start and stop going up it. That is not fun. But what I do is keep right foot on the rear brake, left foot ready to go down on the ground, 1st gear, hand covering the clutch and vary both the clutch and the throttle together.

You will pickup the friction zone of the clutch after some more riding.

lavid2002
March 17th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I assume the principles of a manual bike and a manual car are the same. In a car on a steep hill I hold the E-brake with my right hand, hold the wheel with my left. My right foot is on the gas and left disengaging the clutch. When I need to start I let the clutch out with a LITTLE gas until I hit the friction point. This is where the car starts to creep forward. Now the E-brake is no longer keeping the car from rolling back its keeping it from moving forward, let it go and be on your ay.

For motorcycles I assume you would replace the words E-brake with rear brake, move some appendages around, and call it a day :P

Good luck :)

noche_caliente
March 17th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Trista - we also have an incline on our driveway and have to crest over a bit to get on the road (in the cage you can' t actually see the road as you are cresting in the driveway) - the thing I did to feel more comfortable is what my MSF instructor buddy recommended - he said to sit in the driveway with both feet down and let out the clutch until I roll up onto my toes - then squeeze it in again until I roll back to where I was, let it out to roll forward, back in to roll back - just keep rocking for a few minutes - it worked wonders! I really got a better feel for the friction zone, and now I'm not afraid of my driveway or any of the reasonably sized hills around here anymore! :)

OldGuy
March 17th, 2009, 04:23 PM
:whatshesaid: Practice Practice

CaliGirl
March 17th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Congrats on getting out there and riding! Your addiction will soon begin!

jpnfrk
March 17th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I purposely went to an area of my apt's parking lot that had quite an incline and shut off the bike to simulate starting it on a hill. At first it would stall one me, but the trick that worked for me was to start both feet firmly on the ground, the front brake applied with the bike on neutral. Then, with clutch in, shift to first gear, let go of the front brake, and apply throttle steadily while letting go of the clutch.

You'll feel it as you let go of the clutch, it's as if the moto starts trembling with excitement and that's when you roll on the throttle. I guess it's different for everybody, but it seems like mastering the 'friction zone' is the key.

NICUNinja
March 18th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks for all the great responses, I have been starting out lower on the incline (just for my own peace of mind). I've put on 420 km on the bike now, so I'm starting to get a little more comfortable. I even had it out twice without my husband following me around.
I've been doing alot of highway driving, the town is too sandy (it is only March). I signed up for the MSF course, first week in May. I hope to get some city driving in before then. Maybe find a couple of small inclines for practice. :)

OldGuy
March 18th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Maybe find a couple of small inclines for practice. :)

Trista - the MSF course I took was on a lot that had a very small incline - enough that the bike would roll back if you didn't have your feet down or brakes on. The descriptions others have given about rocking back and forth using the friction zone was the same drill they had us do for what seem forever.

I think any of us that are used to driving a manual transmission cage are initially reluctant to slip the clutch like you can with a bike.

Keep up the good work. I know your hubby has to be very proud of you and your progress. :thumbup:

Strider
March 18th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Signing up for the MSF course is one of the best things you can do at this point (or any point actually).

Congrats on getting out there and learning the feeling of freedom we all know so well :thumbup: