View Full Version : Random morning questions

Realirony
March 6th, 2009, 05:57 AM
As I am eating breakfast I am cruising the net and checking on a few different things of the bike persuasion. And I came up with this discussion/question.

1.) I'm about to bring my bike to the apartment community I live at here in Raleigh. I live in a very nice part of town, up-scale, other communities around and shopping centers. How far should I go when it comes to securing my bike. I read online everyone is saying "buy a disk lock, buy a U-lock, buy this buy that," is bike theft that rampant? I'll try and see if I can find a garage to rent here in the city to house it in. Until then, what would you all recommend as anti-"dont steal my baby please" systems? >_o

anyway, thats my random thoughts of the morning. Off to work, weather in the high 70's all weekend and into next tuesday :crazyloco:

ScraitT
March 6th, 2009, 07:11 AM
I personally don't do anything to secure my bike other then leaving it in gear and using the handlebar lock. I have a house though, so I guess it's a bit different because I keep it on the back porch. When I go out I usually park it on the sidewalks infront of wherever im going so that it is up next to the building and well seen.
For me, it's not worth the hassle trying to secure it. Just get full coverage insurance. If someone REALLY wants to steal it, they'll just pick it up with 2 guys, toss it in a truck, and it's gone in under 20 seconds. Disk locks, alarms and other stuff won't stop that, and even chaining it up is quickly dealt with by a good set of bolt cutters.

BlueTyke
March 6th, 2009, 07:44 AM
If not a garage 250s fit nicely into most storage units. Just be sure the people who run it are moto friendly (some places aren't so much)

I live in a not so calm area of town and when I don't want to spring Tyke for a monring ride I chain her to my car.... Don't believe me?

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/BlueLilTyke/08-07-26%20Pa%20Shoe%20House/DSC00781.jpg

I pull my car out of my parking spot wiggle Tyke in so she is up against the curb. Pull my civic in carefully, then strap her in! They fit nicely in the spot together.

jpnfrk
March 6th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I live in apt complex near UNC-Charlotte and for some time I was using a cable lock, but it's a pain to get it out so for now I do the handlebar lock and a half cover (so that it doesn't attract as much attention). Oh and I park it in a spot very close to the building so I can see it from my apt. :2cents:

HKr1
March 6th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Looks like the best idea to me:

http://www.bikebrace.com/

Also a nice cover :)

Realirony
March 6th, 2009, 10:23 AM
lol at that bike brace. that thing would deff work >_o
although I dont think the city of Raleigh would like me dropping thick bolts into their pavement :D i'll prolly get a cover to keep prying eyes away, and just lock up the forks with the built in lock.

Like it was said before, if someone wants it bad enough...they'll find a way.
One of my buddies had his bike out, had it latched down and all that, they cut the bolts. put Pipes through the spokes in his Rim and carried it off using the pipes as handles. thieves are determined O_o

Lurkable
March 6th, 2009, 11:48 AM
The beauty of the 250R - at least for me and my insurance company - is that in the event of a bike theft, reimbursement equals nearly the original purchase price. I don't really worry about it though...my work and school are both in areas where I'd be surprised to see a bike stolen like that. And at home it's in the garage, but I still chain it to the drill press.

ninjabrewer
March 6th, 2009, 11:53 AM
If not a garage 250s fit nicely into most storage units. Just be sure the people who run it are moto friendly (some places aren't so much)

I live in a not so calm area of town and when I don't want to spring Tyke for a monring ride I chain her to my car.... Don't believe me?

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/BlueLilTyke/08-07-26%20Pa%20Shoe%20House/DSC00781.jpg

I pull my car out of my parking spot wiggle Tyke in so she is up against the curb. Pull my civic in carefully, then strap her in! They fit nicely in the spot together.

careful with that Sunny, you might start seeing 3 wheeled Honsaki's running around. :D

But, I've never seen anyone lock their bike to their car, or vise versa. :thumbup:

nb

Sound Wave
March 6th, 2009, 12:14 PM
i have a disk lock that i can stow away in my underseat bin. it fits nicely next to my took kit.

it has an orange tether that attaches to the handle bar. more as a reminder that the disk in on, but also as a deterrent. true, if the thieves want the bike, they will get it... but why make it easier for them?

Rynownd
March 6th, 2009, 12:18 PM
My bike is locked to my car's wheel with a huge chain and even bigger pad-lock. Wheels are also locked onto my car. I know it's not the best way but it will force the theives to plan ahead at least haha.

hybridxx
March 6th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Looks like the best idea to me:

http://www.bikebrace.com/

Also a nice cover :)

am i the only one that thinks the newer 250s look a mini R6?

or am i just making dumb assumptions.

BlueTyke
March 6th, 2009, 05:09 PM
careful with that Sunny, you might start seeing 3 wheeled Honsaki's running around. :D

But, I've never seen anyone lock their bike to their car, or vise versa. :thumbup:

nb

Honsaki's! :lol:

I doubt it... Their both girls... ><' That would be some talent though!

TrueFaith
March 7th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Disc locks do nothing to prevent someone in a van or truck from just picking your bike up (it's only 330 lbs.), throwing it in the back of a truck and dissappearing before you even know what's happening. You need to secure it to an unmovable object with a chain or cable lock if you really want to get a good night's sleep.