View Full Version : The difference between 72MPH and 73MPH

vman1313
August 27th, 2013, 02:05 PM
OK...this is just one of those random (and stupid) thoughts I had while riding my 300 the other day on the Interstate.

So the 300 has a little indicator that shows up when you are riding "nicely" called an Economical Riding Indicator shown by an ECO symbol that pops up by the speedometer. First, I think its a funny little indicator because who in the world should be looking down at this small little icon while riding a motorcycle just so they can make sure they are riding economically?!?!?:confused: Anyway, so I was on the interstate and looked down to check my speed and noticed that ECO symbol on while I am doing 68MPH. Which made me think, how fast can you go and this symbol still show up? So after some tests, the fastest I could travel was 72MPH and at 73MPH it turns off. ((and yes I know, I did what I just said was funny...I stared at the little indicator light to see if I was riding economically :rolleyes: but it WAS for science purposes:D))

So whats the difference between 72 and 73 that makes the bike economical at 72 but not at 73?:cool:

GHill762
August 27th, 2013, 02:10 PM
OK...this is just one of those random (and stupid) thoughts I had while riding my 300 the other day on the Interstate.

So the 300 has a little indicator that shows up when you are riding "nicely" called an Economical Riding Indicator shown by an ECO symbol that pops up by the speedometer. First, I think its a funny little indicator because who in the world should be looking down at this small little icon while riding a motorcycle just so they can make sure they are riding economically?!?!?:confused: Anyway, so I was on the interstate and looked down to check my speed and noticed that ECO symbol on while I am doing 68MPH. Which made me think, how fast can you go and this symbol still show up? So after some tests, the fastest I could travel was 72MPH and at 73MPH it turns off. ((and yes I know, I did what I just said was funny...I stared at the little indicator light to see if I was riding economically :rolleyes: but it WAS for science purposes:D))

So whats the difference between 72 and 73 that makes the bike economical at 72 but not at 73?:cool:

it shuts off when you go past a certain % of throttle OR past ~8000 RPM, not based on wheel speed, only engine speed/throttle position.

Ryephile
August 27th, 2013, 07:31 PM
+1 with the +1 CS 72 MPH indicated is the max speed the ECO thingie is displayed, even when going downhill with a tail-wind. Since the ECU runs Alpha-N, GHill762's statement about TPS or RPM being the main variables for the ECO light seem plausible.

Old Lemon
August 29th, 2013, 10:24 PM
id be impressed by all them fancy words if i knew what any of them meant

Somchai
August 29th, 2013, 10:28 PM
This indicator u better understand as a senseless gimmick...

ajcadoo
August 29th, 2013, 10:50 PM
I understand an ECO indicator on an F-150. A 300CC vehicle? Not so much. You can ride WOT with this thing everywhere and still get better mileage than a hybrid.

vman1313
August 29th, 2013, 11:40 PM
I understand an ECO indicator on an F-150. A 300CC vehicle? Not so much. You can ride WOT with this thing everywhere and still get better mileage than a hybrid.

:thumbup: EXACTLY!!!

Sirref
August 30th, 2013, 01:17 AM

idk about that, that's what I do and I get around 40-45mpg which is comparable/worse than a hybrid

I have gotten 75mpg before though so really if I want to get good gas mileage then it is possible hahaha