View Full Version : Alu-Rack + fender eliminator = complications!

Ytse Frobozz
August 28th, 2013, 05:27 PM
I installed my SW Motech Alu-Rack and V37 Coocase yesterday. The install was complicated by my Projekt-D fender eliminator. It turns out that the bracket for the Alu-Rack has inch-long spacers, and therefore wants to take up the same space as the turn signals. After some swearing and fiddling, I decided to unbolt my fender eliminator and stand it off along with the Alu-Rack bracket:

http://ytsewolf.home.comcast.net/250R/rearbracket.jpg

As you can see, this means two of the bolts are gone. It's quite sturdy as is, since the Alu-Rack bracket connects to the rest of the rack, but I'm going to get some long bolts to shore things up a bit more, and maybe fashion my own spacers out of... something.

The end result is still pretty good! Now I just need some saddlebags for mini-Goldwing mode.

http://ytsewolf.home.comcast.net/250R/tailbox.jpg

Numbersix
August 28th, 2013, 08:45 PM
Is that the light smoke or dark smoke windscreen?

Ytse Frobozz
August 29th, 2013, 05:38 AM
Pretty sure it's dark smoke.

BRad704
August 29th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Looks good from here.

I wouldn't stress over the rack having the longer stand-offs, especially if you only have it installed when you are using all that luggage. You could always just replace the fender eliminator when you decide to take off the racks... Just a thought.

Numbersix
August 30th, 2013, 09:03 PM
It's quite sturdy as is, since the Alu-Rack bracket connects to the rest of the rack, but I'm going to get some long bolts to shore things up a bit more, and maybe fashion my own spacers out of... something.

I'd like to recommend http://www.onlinemetals.com/ as a good source for small quantities of "something."

Thanks for the reply; as you can guess from my nearby thread, I have the same rack and case, just haven't added the windshield yet. It looks exactly (except mine is GREEN) like what I'm shooting for.

Snake
August 31st, 2013, 03:37 AM
Great job of improvising and making it work. Looks good. Can't wait to see it with the saddlebags.

headshrink
March 9th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Pretty sure it's dark smoke.

Actually I think it's the light smoke. I say that because I have the light smoke ZG, and thought it was supper dark to be "light." It looks like the one pictured.

rasta
May 21st, 2014, 09:58 PM
Anyone else have problems installing the alurack w/ a fender eliminator? I just tried to install it, and it just doesn't work. Do I have to remove the eliminator first? Kevin1956?

Kevin1956
May 22nd, 2014, 04:25 PM
I don't know rasta. I have the stock fender.

rasta
May 22nd, 2014, 10:57 PM
I should have done more research before buying lol. Good thing TT has great customer service. Their e-mail:

Hello,

Our products are only guaranteed to fit completely stock bikes so it is possible that it will not fit your bike if you have a fender eliminator kit.

If your top rack is still in new condition with no install marks, we can create a return for you.

Regards

Klondike1020
May 25th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Ace hardware - if you have one near you

usually has a wide variety of Nylon, steel and bronze bushings…

or you could buy some automotive steel tubing and cut it to make stand offs.

What are you doing about passenger pegs?

Numbersix
June 29th, 2014, 08:41 PM
And ... the green version:

http://www.wereratgames.com/pics/WP_20140606_13_15_55_Pro_Small.jpg

Klondike1020
July 7th, 2014, 07:16 AM
I like the tall wind screen and luggage combo ! U r ready for distance. Side cases woul complete that package

Eating some miles - breakfast lunch and dinner on that ride !

wardie
July 22nd, 2014, 04:21 AM
I removed the rear seat and used it as a pattern to make a plate that fits exactly inside the seat area opening. I used well nuts drilled the holes in the sub frame slightly larger to accommodate and now the case sits where the passenger would be. Does not affect handling at all since it's over the rear wheel.

I purchased a used seat cut the large plastic tabs off so seat will snap into place but because I removed the plastic I cannot sit anyone on this seat. It is for looks when I take the top case off. Heading to Moto GP in two weeks I can carry several days worth of clothing no problem.

headshrink
July 22nd, 2014, 12:13 PM
I removed the rear seat and used it as a pattern to make a plate that fits exactly inside the seat area opening. I used well nuts drilled the holes in the sub frame slightly larger to accommodate and now the case sits where the passenger would be. Does not affect handling at all since it's over the rear wheel.

I purchased a used seat cut the large plastic tabs off so seat will snap into place but because I removed the plastic I cannot sit anyone on this seat. It is for looks when I take the top case off. Heading to Moto GP in two weeks I can carry several days worth of clothing no problem.

Would love to see pics of your DIY mounting plate.

iamjacob
July 22nd, 2014, 01:38 PM
Would love to see pics of your DIY mounting plate.

I know that you didn't ask me but here's the one I made. I keep meaning to do a write up but I never get around to it.

The 4 studs that you can see in the first pic are from the last 2 pics. They are 1/4-20 bolts that come up through the holes where the pilon seat rests.

The 6 holes in the middle if the plate are tapped to take the screws that hold the top case's base plate.

The down side is that it takes tools to remove the plate but it only takes a few seconds to do. It's completely secure.

iamjacob
July 22nd, 2014, 01:40 PM
Oh and it's eventually going to get painted or powder coated black. As is I barely notice it.

headshrink
July 22nd, 2014, 02:43 PM
That looks fantastic, and very sturdy. Thanks for sharing.

wardie
July 23rd, 2014, 07:10 PM
Headshrink here's some pictures. Make a cardboard cut out of hole left when seat is removed. You'll see two holes in cross members in front and rear. Drill those out to accept 10/24 well nuts (sometimes called rivet nuts). Towards the front of the mounting you'll have to make, machine or cut spacers to keep the angle of the plate reasonable and not dipping sharply. All I have to do is take a number 2 Philips screwdriver, unscrew four Philips screws pull plate and slide on seat.

IAMJACOB has a nice set up as well the differences are my plate sits inside the rear seat opening and doesn't require more the a Philips screw driver to take it off. I would think IAMJACOBs mount would hold more weight though..both are good setups and I do not need saddlebags to go for several days. Really if you can carry three changes of clothes there's always a laundra mat somewhere

headshrink
July 24th, 2014, 02:57 AM
:thumbup:Nice

flitecontrol
July 25th, 2014, 01:39 AM
Anyone have this Alu-Rack? If so, would appreciate them posting the dimensions. Think I'd like to try my hand at making a similar, possibly wider, one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321250356450?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Daakuryu
February 13th, 2015, 09:50 PM
Do those Alu-Racks work with 250's right off the bat or do they need to be tweaked?

When I look at the site to see about ordering one they say there aren't any racks available for 250's.

Also are there any racks that go a little bit higher? I have an integrated brake/turn signal so I would imagine having a case right above the brake light like showing in those pictures would be an issue.

headshrink
February 14th, 2015, 09:13 PM
Do those Alu-Racks work with 250's right off the bat or do they need to be tweaked?

When I look at the site to see about ordering one they say there aren't any racks available for 250's.

Also are there any racks that go a little bit higher? I have an integrated brake/turn signal so I would imagine having a case right above the brake light like showing in those pictures would be an issue.

The racks are built specific to the model ordered for, so no modifications are needed. There is no way to raise them, but cars can still see your light, so no problems. I'm going to be selling mine, so let me know if you're interested. It's for the 2008-2012 model.

Daakuryu
February 14th, 2015, 09:45 PM
The racks are built specific to the model ordered for, so no modifications are needed. There is no way to raise them, but cars can still see your light, so no problems. I'm going to be selling mine, so let me know if you're interested. It's for the 2008-2012 model.

I have a 2012

Any reason you are selling it?

For how much?

headshrink
February 16th, 2015, 12:11 PM
I have a 2012

Any reason you are selling it?

For how much?

I'm rebuilding the engine to sell the bike. I only got one season of use out of the rack, but love it so I got one for my other bike too.... it's a beast.

Sending PM with details.

Daakuryu
February 23rd, 2015, 12:48 PM
Mr. headshrink, you shall from now on forever be known as Ser Usestoomuchgoddamntape :rotflmao:

headshrink
February 23rd, 2015, 12:53 PM
Mr. headshrink, you shall from now on forever be known as Ser Usestoomuchgoddamntape :rotflmao:

LOL, yes sir. All that tape was because I had to make the box to both fit the part and keep shipping down. Glad you got it, and hope you enjoy it.

Daakuryu
February 23rd, 2015, 07:39 PM
LOL, yes sir. All that tape was because I had to make the box to both fit the part and keep shipping down. Glad you got it, and hope you enjoy it.

aaaaand it's already on the bike.

http://i.imgur.com/AssZNOO.jpg

headshrink
February 23rd, 2015, 07:42 PM
aaaaand it's already on the bike.

http://i.imgur.com/AssZNOO.jpg

Nice! :thumbup:

I hope you're as happy with it as I was.

Daakuryu
February 23rd, 2015, 08:02 PM
Still have to buy an adapter plate and a case but I am sure I will appreciate it much better than the backpack and soft backseat bag I was using before.

My wallet is on cool down right now though so it has to wait a little bit. :angel:

http://i.imgur.com/46MFEJT.png

headshrink
February 23rd, 2015, 08:14 PM
What case are you looking at buying?

That's a lot of toys you have in the mail... I'm a little jealous. All I've got is a back and forth with Revzilla on a small part mix-up (they've actually been great about it).

Daakuryu
February 23rd, 2015, 08:23 PM
What case are you looking at buying?

Not sure yet to be honest. Hoping to find something with a decent size at a low price for now.

That's a lot of toys you have in the mail... I'm a little jealous. All I've got is a back and forth with Revzilla on a small part mix-up (they've actually been great about it).

The Rack and a FuseBlock FZ1 are the two that arrived today, got

A Koso RX2N + PnP kit (the pre shipment)
Ninja 250 adaptor plate for the Koso RX2N
BK Moto HID Kit
A used headlight assembly ( so I can do a retrofit and not worry about ****ing up.

I spoil her too much

headshrink
February 23rd, 2015, 08:40 PM
A used headlight assembly ( so I can do a retrofit and not worry about ****ing up.
[/LIST]

That's how I like to do things too.

killerkeith
February 28th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Took the plunge and bought the Zero G touring screen and the Alu Rack with a Givi top case. I bought the light kit for the top case. $700 for everything. Not an easy decision but my 7 year old co-pilot can't fit on any bigger motorcycle in my price range. She wanted a back rest so we could go faster. Besides, I love this little bike. I'll post pics of the install once everything gets here.

killerkeith
April 12th, 2015, 04:33 AM
Not having a good time. One of the bolts to attach the mounting bracket was bent and therefore ruined one of the threads as I was forcing it in. No 6mm 60 replacement bolts at home depot. Grrr

killerkeith
April 26th, 2015, 10:36 AM
So I ended up drilling two hole so they couldn't thread into the subframe, and just used locking nuts to secure the bolts. My new issue is the Admore Lights i bought for the Givi topcase. They are not very bright, and I can't get the turn signals to flash in unison. I changed the electronic flashe, and have the diode kits. My current turn signals are LED, just can't get the AdMores to flash at the same rate.

dcj13
April 26th, 2015, 11:26 AM
...That's a lot of toys you have in the mail... I'm a little jealous.

I'm jealous because Jean gets to work on the bike in the house!

killerkeith
April 26th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Did I mention how poorly lit the LEDs are with the Givi topcase? You can't even see them in daylight. Everything works as advertised, but the whole lighting system is very dim compared to my LED aftermarket turn signals. I email Admore my issues. If I can't get them brighter or turning at the same rate as the others I'm taking this back.

headshrink
April 26th, 2015, 08:08 PM
Did I mention how poorly lit the LEDs are with the Givi topcase? You can't even see them in daylight. Everything works as advertised, but the whole lighting system is very dim compared to my LED aftermarket turn signals. I email Admore my issues. If I can't get them brighter or turning at the same rate as the others I'm taking this back.

They are so overpriced, I'm shocked to hear how bad they are. Thanks for saving me the $$$, as I was considering buying the kit for my Coocase. I think I'll just buy they $20 LED strip from Autozone instead.

Daakuryu
April 29th, 2015, 07:45 AM
I'm jealous because Jean gets to work on the bike in the house!

I'm sure if I had a wife I wouldn't have been able to work on the bike in the house. :rotflmao:

It's finally sunny and warm here in the land of almost perpetual ice so I'll hopefully be able to take pictures of all the stuff I put in sometimes in the next day or so

killerkeith
May 2nd, 2015, 06:35 PM
Positive Update: After a few email exchanges, I spoke with Admore Customer Service and discovered my LEDs are defective from the manufacturer and a replacement kit is in the mail. Good customer service

killerkeith
May 22nd, 2015, 06:18 PM
So kit#2 arrived last week but didn't function correctly. One side was a solid brake light and would only flash some LEDs while the other one worked. Admore is sending kit #3 out to me.

It would have been nice to have for my 4000km bike trip but was not to be.
BTW the rack didn't perform very well. On day 2 there was some road side repairs as the rack's bolt were coming loose. I found a hardware store and bought some lock nuts. After that, no issues.

killerkeith
June 3rd, 2015, 08:16 PM
I'll give Admore this...they sure do want to make things right. Kit #3 had parts that were not compatible with my original Admore equipment. I had to call them and say, send me a brand new out of the box kit and stop sending me new parts. So today, a brand new kit has arrived. I'll try and hook this up on the weekend. I also now need to figure out how to weal the lenses on the topcase up as they are not water tight.

killerkeith
June 14th, 2015, 05:29 PM
The final chapter. Kit installed and quite frankly it sucks. You can see them in day light but not very bright. Don't waste your money as I still can't get the turn signal to flash constant with the bike. I've moved the ground wire around with no success. What a ****ing ordeal.

headshrink
July 1st, 2015, 07:47 PM
Thanks for saving me the trouble and money. I was thinking about adding lights to my case, I'll just buy the $20 LED strips from AutoZone.

blueklr
October 16th, 2015, 10:33 PM
Anyone else have problems installing the alurack w/ a fender eliminator? I just tried to install it, and it just doesn't work. Do I have to remove the eliminator first? Kevin1956?

We have the very same problem. The first owner (we're third) did the fender eliminator and we therefore don't have the parts. Had to re-buy the OEM parts to get it to work. Pick it up tomorrow.