View Full Version : Wiring Kill switch after MP throttle, anyone?

JBinSD
August 30th, 2013, 06:19 PM
So I bought a motion Pro throttle, and decided I needed a slimmer kill switch for the right clipon. Fortunately, MP sells this. Unfortunately, I'm not great at electrical. Haven't even started opening up wires yet, but thought I'd check if anyone has already done this mod yet. I used the search button, but no findy.:rolleyes:

Thanx for any input.

Cheers,
Joel

9lives
August 31st, 2013, 04:45 PM
Here's a link Joel it's not a plug n play like I expected it to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9J8Fsd4sAY

JBinSD
September 1st, 2013, 02:38 PM
Thanx Walt, I watched those, and followed the directions all the way to the end, where it tells me to find the appropriate terminals to fit in the stock housing. . . Grr I went to 5 electronics stores looking for these little buggers, and got bupkiss.

If anyone knows where to get these, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll haveta hack my OEM harness and do some splicing. . . .

9lives
September 1st, 2013, 02:47 PM
Get me a better picture of that connector that you're looking for Joel. In that picture it just looks like a spade connector.

JBinSD
September 1st, 2013, 03:17 PM
Thanx Walt, its a small male crimp-on terminal that goes into a Molex-like 6 pin connector, per the MP instructions, I was supposed to remove the terminals from the male connector, cut off the crimps on the MP switch, find additional terminals and use those to put into the OEM male connector (green). It would probably be easier to just cut and splice the OEM line between the switch and connector, although I was hoping to find the terminals so I could keep both intact.

rojoracing53
September 1st, 2013, 03:27 PM
May not be what your looking for since I didn't use the connector but It couldn't hurt to have more picture.

pics toward the bottom
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=112922

JBinSD
September 1st, 2013, 03:44 PM
Thanx Jason, did you bypass both connectors, or did you just splice the MP switch into the male connection harness, and use the OEM connectors? Thats probably where I am at this point, unless Walt can find me those particular crimp-on spade connectors. . . :-)

rojoracing53
September 1st, 2013, 04:11 PM
like in the pics in my thread I crimped all the wires(MP switch and Bike) with the supplied bullet connectors then heat shrinked it all when I was done. Finding the correct opposing connector so you wouldn't need to cut the bikes wiring harness would be the best way to do it but I didn't want to waste the time searching for it.

JBinSD
September 1st, 2013, 08:01 PM
Gotcha, so you cut the harness on the bike and the MP switch, and just connected wire to wire, without any connectors? I guess thats one way to do it. . .

rojoracing53
September 1st, 2013, 08:53 PM
Gotcha, so you cut the harness on the bike and the MP switch, and just connected wire to wire, without any connectors? I guess thats one way to do it. . .

I used the single wire individual connector that came in the kit, just look at the DIY part of that thread i linked to and you'll see what I mean.

9lives
September 2nd, 2013, 09:41 AM
Thanx Walt, its a small male crimp-on terminal that goes into a Molex-like 6 pin connector, per the MP instructions, I was supposed to remove the terminals from the male connector, cut off the crimps on the MP switch, find additional terminals and use those to put into the OEM male connector (green). It would probably be easier to just cut and splice the OEM line between the switch and connector, although I was hoping to find the terminals so I could keep both intact.

Okay that picture is pretty good Joel. You're going to have a hard time finding the correct mating pins. The easiest thing to do would be to replace both connectors with new 6 pin Molex connectors. If you were closer I could do it for you in about 10 minutes and I probably have the connectors and pins in the garage.

JBinSD
September 2nd, 2013, 12:44 PM
Yeah, after checking Radio Shack, Fry's and Pep boys, I'm just going to re- wire the OEM harness. Thanks though :-)

9lives
September 2nd, 2013, 01:38 PM
Yeah, after checking Radio Shack, Fry's and Pep boys, I'm just going to re- wire the OEM harness. Thanks though :-)

Do it the way I suggested Joel it'll keep it clean and simple. No splicing you really don't want to be doing that. Just looking for trouble down the road. If you want Joel just leave it alone and I'll do it for you at Chuckwalla.

JBinSD
September 2nd, 2013, 03:57 PM
Thanks, but I spliced the MP line into the OEM line just after the connector, so I maintained the stock harness connector. Seems to be working just fine, but I appreciate the offer. Is it Round 1 yet?