View Full Version : Had my first motorcycle accident yesterday

Sailariel
March 8th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Like a dumb s---, I didn`t take Kelly`s advice and tried putting my bike on a stand by myself. Well, the bike fell down and landed on me. No damage to the bike since I served as a cushion. Also, it was a good thing that I did not run the bike prior to this baloonfooted move. I would have been burned wicked bad. It took a while to get under it to be able to use my leg muscles to get the bike upright. I will reiterate Kelly`s advice; "Don`t do it alone!" The bike suffered no damage whatsoever. I have several large bruises and am a bit stiff today.

ninjabrewer
March 8th, 2009, 01:29 PM
OUCH, I hope you are OK.

nb

islanderman7
March 8th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Yikes! What did you do alone?

Just curious and I am glad the bike is not damage but could you have gotten out of the way to avoid getting crushed?

tlhamon
March 8th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Glad you are OK. One good thing, you can heal and your bike can't so good job cushioning its fall.

islanderman7
March 8th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Glad you are OK. One good thing, you can heal and your bike can't so good job cushioning its fall.

Not so. Its best to let the bike fall because cosmetic damages are replaceable, expensive though. Serious bodily injury is usually permanent and last through out your lifetime. Most of patients that I work with that suffer from lumbar or leg injuries never fully recover. They usually feel better after some therapy but they always come back with the same degree of pain. So take care of yourself first.

BlueTyke
March 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Wow! Glad your okay!

Sound Wave
March 8th, 2009, 03:22 PM
wow. hope you heal up fast. you tried putting the bike on a rear stand? or the front stand?

cwb48
March 8th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Wow, Alex, I almost had the same experience yesterday. I was going to try my new forward handle stand for the first time, so I took the cover off the bike, measured the distance between the spools and checked the stand, put the stand under the bike and pushed it off of the side stand- and then realized that I couldn't see past the muffler to see if the stand was on the spool correctly. I (wisely it seems now) decided to wait until my son was around to try it. I'm not sure that the wife would have been much help.

I hope you are OK. We can't be falling down too much at our advanced age.

Chris

g21-30
March 8th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Alex, sorry to hear about your misfortune and I'm glad both you and the baby are OK.

Couple of things I've learned about the rear stand: (1) Use a removable tie wrap or big rubber band on the front brake lever to keep the bike from rolling when you lift the rear (2) Put 2x4 or 2X6, etc. under the kick stand so the bike is closer to vertical. Then stand on the right rear of the bike and slide the rear stand under the spools, while holding the passenger strap on the rear seat. Push down on the stand lever to raise the bike and keep the bike vertical with the passenger strap. Removal is the reverse, just make sure the kick stand is down and lined up with the 2X4... I always remove the tie wrap to allow the front brakes to release the pressure on the piston, after completing the jack up/down.

Good Luck:o

Angel-be-Good
March 8th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I'm always going to be alone when putting my bike on a stand, so I got this one from Pitbull:

duHkDtS9we0

Very easy to stand the bike by myself. Only downside is that the handle can obstruct your access from the left side of the bike, but it hasn't been an issue for me.

g21-30
March 8th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Another look:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9810

and

http://www.onthethrottle.tv/pages/page/pu2_rear_stands_08/151_637

Alex
March 8th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Sorry to hear this Alex, but very glad you're mostly OK and the bike came through OK as well... :thumbup:

HKr1
March 8th, 2009, 06:57 PM
How does the bike fall on you putting it on the stand, You should be behind the bike..... Or did you try and catch it?

OldGuy
March 8th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Alex - so sorry to hear about you problem but so relieved that you and your Ninja are OK. First snow, now the dumping the bike on top of yourself - please don't go down to the boat tomorrow by yourself.

I'd be interested in hearing just how you and the bike ended up and how you got out from underneath it by yourself.

noche_caliente
March 8th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Alex, I'm so sorry to hear about your fall! Glad you're mostly ok aside from the bruising, and that the bike is ok. A heating pad on the bruises should help a good bit.

miks
March 9th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Hope you have a speedy recovery.

All the best!

BlueTyke
March 9th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Phil always puts his Busa up and down from stands by himself. I think part of what helps him is a dock that he puts his bike that holds the front wheel in place. But then again he is a pretty big guy. He can man handle Tyke pretty easily... His Busa he is pretty confident with.

Sailariel
March 9th, 2009, 07:35 AM
How does the bike fall on you putting it on the stand, You should be behind the bike..... Or did you try and catch it?

You are absolutely correct. I did catch it. I am very glad the bike had not been run because then I would have burns to deal with. I did manage to wiggle around so that both arms were free and that I was able to "press" the bike up enough so that I could get my legs under me. After that it was relatively easy. All I got was a bunch of bruises. I was glad that one of my hobbies is weght lifting. Being able to Bench Press 200Lbs minimized the damage--other than feeling like a total ass.

TrueFaith
March 9th, 2009, 07:38 AM
Oh c'mon, Alex. That's not really an accident. That's a mishap. :D
What I'm interested in seeing is how many of you were sucked in by the 60-degree weather on the east coast yesterday and took their bikes out for the first time this year, resulting in a real accident. I couldn't believe how many bikes I saw or heard on the road yesterday (today we have a coating of snow again and the temps are in the 30s). This is probably the most dangerous time of the year to ride up this way with all the sand and salt residue on the streets. Until the DPW cleans up all the sand and storm debris it's going to be dicey going out there. Anybody that succumbs to a freak warm day had better be on the lookout for sand and gravel, especialy in turns or at intersections since that's where it ends up building up. After going down on gravel last summer, I have no desire to test my luck until the snow is long gone and the streets are cleaner.

camaroz1985
March 9th, 2009, 07:48 AM
I opened this thread fearing the worst, but glad to see both you and the bike are ok.

xTKx
March 9th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Glad you're ok Alex!!!

kkim
March 9th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Alex, sorry to hear of your wrestling match with the bike, but glad both of you made it out relatively unscathed.

I do recommend having a "spotter" the first few times you put the bike up on a rear stand, but after a few times, you'll be fine doing by yourself once you learn what to watch out for.

As was mentioned, putting a 2x4 under the sidestand helps a lot to bring the bike close to vertical.

Another that helps is having the stock rear seat on instead of the cowl so you can use the strap on the rear seat to grab while hoisting the bike.

Third is to line up the spools with the forks in the stand and with one smooth push, put the bike onto the stand.

A trick I learned when taking it back down is that no 2x4 is needed under the sidestand, but make sure the sidestand is down before lowering the bike. I lowered my bike once and realized once the bike was lowered that the side stand was not down. It's good thing the 250 is such a light bike as I was able to catch the bike as it was tilting over and manged to hold it upright. :eek:

Last trick when lowering is to turn the handlebars fully to the left before lowering. That insures that when the bike is lowered, it will drop to the left onto the sidestand instead of to the right and toppling over. :(

cwb48
March 9th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I'm always going to be alone when putting my bike on a stand, so I got this one from Pitbull:
That's the same stand I have, but like I said, when you are on the left side of the bike with the handle, you can't see past the muffler on the 250R to be sure the stand is seated on the right side spool. I think this can be a one person stand with the 250, but you need to be sure the spool is seated before you try to lift the bike.

Chris

kazam58
March 9th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Sorry to hear about the mishap, Alex. Glad you're okay and the bike is unscathed.