View Full Version : missing a washer!

seedanpaint
March 8th, 2009, 02:59 PM
:mad:

Dealership changed oil last time and left out the washer that sits in between the spring and rubber grommet on the element. I can see where the spring sat directly on the rubber grommet. They probably left it sticking to the old filter. Going to get one from them in the morning.

Question is: Is it ok to let bike sit over night with no oil, the filter out and the oil plug out? My other choice is to put it all back together without the washer, but I can see how that could possible damage the filter.

zartan
March 8th, 2009, 03:04 PM
should be fine.
BUT put some masking tape over your ignition so you don't forget and try to start it !!

komohana
March 8th, 2009, 03:06 PM
should be fine.
BUT put some masking tape over your ignition so you don't forget and try to start it !!

lock-out, tag-out :thumbup:

kkim
March 8th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Question is: Is it ok to let bike sit over night with no oil, the filter out and the oil plug out? My other choice is to put it all back together without the washer, but I can see how that could possible damage the filter.

I agree w/ Z, you'll be fine overnight. I would indeed put the washer back in and not leave it out.

bag everything up so no one ends up kicking parts all over the garage. you think you're pissed now?? ...wait till someone kicks the parts around and you can't find them!! ask me how I know???!!:mad:

seedanpaint
March 8th, 2009, 05:04 PM
should be fine.

Thanks, great idea!

There was a guy on a scooter forum when I had a Honda Ruckus that had his engine bored, got it back and was so eager to get it back together he forgot to put in the oil and started it up. Ouch!

A little masking tape goes a long way!

seedanpaint
March 8th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I agree w/ Z, you'll be fine overnight. I would indeed put the washer back in and not leave it out.

bag everything up so no one ends up kicking parts all over the garage. you think you're pissed now?? ...wait till someone kicks the parts around and you can't find them!! ask me how I know???!!:mad:

You and me both. My garage is littered with bits and pieces of stuff that I kicked everywhere. You buy the parts to replace them, then you find the ones you kicked.

HKr1
March 9th, 2009, 03:17 PM
lock-out, tag-out :thumbup:

I put a piece of tape over the ignition, just never know what my drunk ass might do :rolleyes:

For the tag-out, in the navy we had to tag-out every freaking thing! Have been usaf since 03....... I havent seen 1 TO. < You should see the open breaker panels around here :eek: