View Full Version : New rider / owner in SW Colorado

subcutaneous
September 2nd, 2013, 08:09 PM
OK, I'll try to keep this short. Decades ago when I was a teenager, I rode the neighbors dirt bike about 1/4 mile... and thought it was interesting. I never pursued riding until two months ago when a new friend insisted I learn to ride one of his dirt bikes. I was on a Honda 250... he was on a 450. Of course I couldn't keep up and I really wasn't into the dirt bike thing. We then got onto pavement to ride out to the Hovenweep ruins (there is absolutely nothing out here... wasn't really worried that I was not licensed to be on the street) and that is when I got bit by the bug.... the bug of riding a motorcycle on the road. I liked it so much, I quickly took a MSF class, passed and started my search for something to ride. My friend was disappointed that I didn't want a dirt bike, but I told him to take the class and get a street bike... we'll see. Anyway, after much deliberation, I found a mint condition 2012 candy apple green Ninja 250R on craigslist (posted by a dealer) with a bit over 2400 miles. Drove the pickup to Montrose, checked it out as best I could, paid $3500 and took it home. Back at home and after seconds of examination, my friend said "Hey, the right fork has a leaking seal" and sure enough it does. Damn dealers. It's my fault for not knowing what to look for. First MC and it has a mechanical issue. Live and Learn. It goes in this week to have the seals redone. However, in the meantime, I have been having fun building my confidence on this Ninja. I live in farm country, so I have a bit over 2 miles of harsh gravel and hard dirt to ride over (at 15 MPH or slower) before I get to the highway where it is 65MPH or get run over. I seriously need to practice some 20-50MPH riding techniques, but there is nowhere around here. All of the churches and school yards have no paved areas. The nearest town with paved areas is Cortez, 1/2 hour away, and when the fork seals are done, I'll give that a try. Sorry for the long-winded entry, but I wanted to get it all out there and let everyone know owning a Ninja is a blast, even with one leaky seal.......

NevadaWolf
September 2nd, 2013, 08:40 PM
:welcome: subcutaneous! Glad to have you aboard...

JohnnyBravo
September 2nd, 2013, 08:50 PM
Welcome to the forum an two wheels!

rasta
September 2nd, 2013, 08:54 PM
Welcome Rich!! Poo pop on that dealer for not telling you there were mechanical issues

csmith12
September 3rd, 2013, 04:25 AM
Welcome!

Snake
September 3rd, 2013, 12:04 PM
Hello and welcome.

allanoue
September 3rd, 2013, 01:12 PM
welcome
It does look good.

KJohnson21
September 3rd, 2013, 05:17 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=1195

NevadaWolf
September 4th, 2013, 01:08 PM
I need to get back down your way to go tourist mode for awhile. I do love Mesa Verde and was just passing through Cortez a few weeks ago (got rained on as I left Durango and it was off an on until about Mancos). Beautiful country to be in on a bike!

Motofool
September 7th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Welcome to our site !!!

Don't miss our Riding Skills section out :) :) :)

BlueRaven
September 7th, 2013, 03:03 PM
:welcome: