View Full Version : Wandering / tram-lining

Xorro
September 4th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Riding along and if there's a crack or trough in the road the 300 will pick it up and follow it. Never seemed to have this problem on the 250. I can also feel the road more through the seat, I can feel all the rough patches of road.

I'm sure the 250 wasn't like this?

Any thoughts on why this might be? Tyre pressures are correct at 28 and 32 and I'm assuming that the preload is on the default setting of 2. Does it need to be softer for me, I'm 140lbs? Ssh don't tell anyone. ;)

alex.s
September 4th, 2013, 01:45 PM
what kind of tires did you have before?

what kind of tires do you have now?

Xorro
September 4th, 2013, 01:47 PM
250 = Pirelli sport demon (I ditched the IRCs)

300 = Stock IRC Roadwinners. I originally intended to change them but people generally seem happy with them on the 300. I know Kawa and IRC worked together to design them this time.

alex.s
September 4th, 2013, 01:48 PM
IRC tires are ****.

i have a pair of 300 IRC roadwinners on my 250. they suck balls.

csmith12
September 4th, 2013, 01:50 PM
The crack thing is most likely the rider and not the bike unless the crack follows a recess in the pavement. Loose on the bars and steer where you want to go and don't forget to lead with your eyes. If you have visual focus on the line, your most likely gunna keep right on following it.

Your free to set your preload to whatever setting your comfortable at. Move it to 1 and see if you like it. You can always adjust it back, don't be afraid. You soften it up, you may not feel as much feedback via the seat.

Also, I believe the 2 are linked. If your a bit tight on the bars, all other sensations may be amplified as well. So the fix may be to simply relax more.

Xorro
September 4th, 2013, 01:54 PM
To be fair, I've been riding for 12 years and I've never had so much road feedback through the seat.

csmith12
September 4th, 2013, 01:58 PM
To be fair, I've been riding for 12 years and I've never had so much road feedback through the seat.

Yea? So.... I have been riding for 20+ and still feel new stuff every now and then, especially on a "new to me" bike. Maybe your bumm just hates the seat or the seat needs to be broken in a bit.

Xorro
September 4th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Yea? So.... I have been riding for 20+ and still feel new stuff every now and then, especially on a "new to me" bike. Maybe your bumm just hates the seat or the seat needs to be broken in a bit.

Seat is a bit hard. :)

alex.s
September 4th, 2013, 02:04 PM

thanks for this post. i really get ticked off when people throw years of experience out there as if it's some kind of certification that they know what they are doing. i've met guys riding 30+ years who tell me never ever to use the front brake. OOOOOKAY! its especially funny because i've also met people like nick grice who's first day on a motorcycle was at a race track, and within a few months he was racing ama. i believe now he is a mid-packer IIRC. he could easily outride the 30+ year riding vet in nearly any situation, and yet he has about 2 years riding experience.

quality... not quantity.

csmith12
September 4th, 2013, 02:26 PM
I feel where your coming from Alex. I wasn't trying to be a smart a** or anything. Nor do I get ticked off or anything about someone stating their experience. It allows me to form a better answer. Yet she asks some valid questions. Now that I know she has some amount of seat time under her belt, we can get a bit more detailed in our answers.

What kind of shock did you have on your 250? Stock? GSXR? Other? I believe other 300 riders say the stock 300 rear shock has a different damping valve. Hence, being somewhat stiffer than the 250 at the same preload setting.

Still have the new bike jitters? You already know moving to a new bike comes with "getting the feel for it". And lets hope that seat breaks in nicely soon. If not, I am sure you can add extra padding it or get a corbin. :)

And yea, then there is the tires...

Xorro
September 4th, 2013, 02:42 PM
thanks for this post. i really get ticked off when people throw years of experience out there as if it's some kind of certification that they know what they are doing. i've met guys riding 30+ years who tell me never ever to use the front brake. OOOOOKAY! its especially funny because i've also met people like nick grice who's first day on a motorcycle was at a race track, and within a few months he was racing ama. i believe now he is a mid-packer IIRC. he could easily outride the 30+ year riding vet in nearly any situation, and yet he has about 2 years riding experience.

quality... not quantity.

I was merely making the point that I'm not new to biking and yet I've never experienced anything like this before. Wasn't suggesting that I know everything!!

Nor do I get ticked off or anything about someone stating their experience. It allows me to form a better answer. Yet she asks some valid questions. Now that I know she has some amount of seat time under her belt, we can get a bit more detailed in our answers.

Thank you for interpreting my response correctly.

What kind of shock did you have on your 250? Stock? GSXR? Other? I believe other 300 riders say the stock 300 rear shock has a different damping valve. Hence, being somewhat stiffer than the 250 at the same preload setting.

Standard shock on the 250

Still have the new bike jitters? You already know moving to a new bike comes with "getting the feel for it".

Could be!

lgk
September 4th, 2013, 02:47 PM
IRC tires are ****.

they're OK for going straight, for 12,000mi.

but that's about it, lol.

Tigerpaw
September 4th, 2013, 03:02 PM
IRC tires are ****.

What's wrong with them on the street?

they're OK for going straight, for 12,000mi.

but that's about it, lol.

I've had no issues, with 2500 miles of twisties.

lgk
September 4th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I've had no issues, with 2500 miles of twisties.

i was kind of half joking...
i did ride on them for 12,000 mi, and mostly in a straight line.:D

but seriously the tires are hard.
put on some good tires and you'll see what i mean.

alex.s
September 4th, 2013, 03:31 PM
what is wrong with irc tires... where do i begin.

they are designed to provide maximum lifetime. they are designed for minimal stress from the bike/rider. they are designed to be cheap budget tires. they do not have much grip. their slides are inconsistent and jumpy/catchy. the carcass is too hard to flex when given a decent load which means loaded bumps cause a slide. the shape is meant for straight up riding, not so much leaned over riding. the weird tread pattern catches everything especially with the hard carcass.

it would be easier to highlight what is GOOD about IRC tires............ and that is that they are cheap as ****.

Tigerpaw
September 4th, 2013, 05:46 PM
what is wrong with irc tires... where do i begin.

they are designed to provide maximum lifetime. they are designed for minimal stress from the bike/rider. they are designed to be cheap budget tires. they do not have much grip. their slides are inconsistent and jumpy/catchy. the carcass is too hard to flex when given a decent load which means loaded bumps cause a slide. the shape is meant for straight up riding, not so much leaned over riding. the weird tread pattern catches everything especially with the hard carcass.

it would be easier to highlight what is GOOD about IRC tires............ and that is that they are cheap as ****.

I guess you guys ride VERY aggressive on the street. I scoot through most corners, and never had an issue. I am not pushing too to the point of sliding...on the street, lol.

Op, having ridden both bikes, I'm guessing you have new bike jitters. My 3oo is no different than the 250 in the circumstances you described.

JohnnyBravo
September 4th, 2013, 09:13 PM
My 300 wanders with the cracks now and then, but it's not scary, I just tap it out and ride on

Somchai
September 4th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Zoe what you should know is that the 250 front forks are setup softer with a oil level at 108 mm and the 300 now is 100 mm for the oil level. Maybe this is one reason for the different feeling.
Ride safe :thumbup:

Xorro
September 4th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Out of interest, are people running with their IRCs at the recommend 28/32 pressures?

I'm hoping that the tyres are not too crappy, because after we've bought two brand new bikes, don't really want to be spending out more on 4 new tyres! Also I'd kinda convinced myself that they're not as bad as the 250 tyres :) I'm sure I saw a post somewhere about someone running them at the track and saying they're 'OK', which helped.

*edit*

Spoke to the other half this morning who said she can also feel the road surface more on these bikes. Maybe it is the tyres? She had Dunlops on her 250.

csmith12
September 5th, 2013, 05:09 AM
I ran mine at 30/30. There are a few riders that have run track with the IRC's. snot was the most recent I believe. And there are some pics floating around on this forum of another riding with an "above average" lean going on them at a non-us track.

I have a love/hate relationship with them. I feel they are fine for a street pace (even somewhat aggressive and 2up) but they do feel somewhat rigid and don't provide enough of "the good feedback" compared to a better tire. A lot of what alex.s describes is spot on but some riders deal with it much better. After some miles on them and learning that these tires don't like to be ridden cold over bumps, me and the IRC's came to an understanding of what was expected. It's almost like you have to purposely take action to flex the carcass of the tire, but once sufficiently warmed, the tire should respond better. The feel however, is all you. :)

This thread reminds me of my very first thread on this forum. An experienced but learning rider, a brand spankin' new bike still in the break in period, a crappy feel for the IRC's and unsure of what pressures to run them.

JohnnyBravo
September 5th, 2013, 06:56 AM
I usually run closer to 30 front an 32-36 rear... Idk why, but I like it better.

alex.s
September 5th, 2013, 08:21 AM
i talk a lot of **** on the 300 IRC tires... but fact is i have them on my street bike right now... so they can't be all bad, right? lol. granted i did get them fo free...

snot
September 5th, 2013, 08:52 AM
i used the IRC at the track. temps 65 morning and 80+ afternoon. no issues with following cracks on the track or the street. I also run them 30/30 track and street. I have not had any problems with the tires.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=901&pictureid=10861

csmith12
September 5th, 2013, 09:13 AM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=567421&postcount=51

Motofool
September 5th, 2013, 09:45 AM
........Any thoughts on why this might be? Tyre pressures are correct at 28 and 32 and I'm assuming that the preload is on the default setting of 2. Does it need to be softer for me, I'm 140lbs? Ssh don't tell anyone. ;)

You may be feeling too much rear suspension pre-load and/or not enough spring effect from your rear tire.

You can play with both and see what combination improves your riding feeling.

If your rear shock doesn't bottom up frequently, and if you don't ride two-up, you can safely experiment with less pre-load.
If you do, and are happy with the result, recalibrate the height of your headlight beam.

The manufacturer's tire pressure recommendation is just a starting point that works for most riders, you could be an exception due to your weight and riding posture.

I have the feeling that you could lower that rear pressure some if you use temperature of the carcase as the limit for low pressure.

These threads explain more:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=133128&highlight=tire+pressure

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=737699#post737699

The way it is now, you may suffer some rear chattering and side-walk when leaning hard on crappy road surface.

.......and I do know about this and everything else, because I had 30 years of riding experience 20 years ago !!! :) :) :)
(Just teasing alex.s; ............I don't really know much). :o :o :o

alex.s
September 5th, 2013, 09:48 AM
haha! brilliant

JohnnyBravo
September 5th, 2013, 11:38 AM
I love this guy Motofool ... No homo :pound:

http://gabber.fm/images/emo/bravo.gif

Xorro
September 5th, 2013, 01:01 PM
i used the IRC at the track. temps 65 morning and 80+ afternoon. no issues with following cracks on the track or the street. I also run them 30/30 track and street. I have not had any problems with the tires.

Fab, thank you.

You may be feeling too much rear suspension pre-load and/or not enough spring effect from your rear tire.

You can play with both and see what combination improves your riding feeling.

If your rear shock doesn't bottom up frequently, and if you don't ride two-up, you can safely experiment with less pre-load.
If you do, and are happy with the result, recalibrate the height of your headlight beam.

The manufacturer's tire pressure recommendation is just a starting point that works for most riders, you could be an exception due to your weight and riding posture.

I have the feeling that you could lower that rear pressure some if you use temperature of the carcase as the limit for low pressure.

These threads explain more:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=133128&highlight=tire+pressure

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=737699#post737699

The way it is now, you may suffer some rear chattering and side-walk when leaning hard on crappy road surface.

Thank you :)