View Full Version : Buttonwillow 3/8 pictures + crash report

Kurosaki
March 9th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Few pics from yesterday.

I had a nice lowside before lunch. Was riding a little too fast early in the session. Didn't let the tires get up to temp enough. My fault. Lost traction on the rear and the bike just whipped out from under me. I tried to hold on which resulted in a nice quarter sized abrasion on my elbow through the stretch material in my suit. No injury otherwise. But I was able to fix the bike back up right quick and finish the day. Only missed a single session. Had to straighten out a handle bar, straighten the forks, and I was good to keep riding. Thankfully I wasn't feeling the crash demons too bad and was able to keep up a solid pace.

I did a nice little barrel roll and pavement surfing off track and into the dirt. Felt like it took forever to stop rolling. Interesting feeling... My friend behind me might have caught it on camera. I'll post if I get my hands on it. I forget my USB cable at work so I can't post the pics and stuff post crash yet.

But I still had a good day overall and don't feel too down about the crash since I was able to dust myself off and continue the day. I was worried when I picked the bike up that pegs and levers would be gone and that would be the end of my day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Turbo-Joe/Buttonwillow%203-8-09/VP__5899-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Turbo-Joe/Buttonwillow%203-8-09/VP__6004-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Turbo-Joe/Buttonwillow%203-8-09/VP__7641-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Turbo-Joe/Buttonwillow%203-8-09/VP__7810-1.jpg

OldGuy
March 9th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Glad to hear you are OK and were able to finish the day off. It will be a tale to tell if there is video to come. Looking at your pictures makes me wish I were young enough to try some track days but glad I'm old enough to know better with zip experience and an old body. :(

kkim
March 9th, 2009, 12:14 PM
did you touch the kickstand on the ground? :confused:

Kurosaki
March 9th, 2009, 12:20 PM
negative. Why? does it look like it in one of the pictures?

Kurosaki
March 9th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Glad to hear you are OK and were able to finish the day off. It will be a tale to tell if there is video to come. Looking at your pictures makes me wish I were young enough to try some track days but glad I'm old enough to know better with zip experience and an old body. :(

At least you're riding and doing what you can.:thumbup:

Beast
March 9th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Looking good Joseph. Pic #3 is consistent! ;) Again, sorry to hear about the low side.

kkim
March 9th, 2009, 12:28 PM
negative. Why? does it look like it in one of the pictures?

no, it doesn't. sorry, I was thinking of something else. which side of the bike did you lowside on?

Kurosaki
March 9th, 2009, 12:39 PM
no, it doesn't. sorry, I was thinking of something else. which side of the bike did you lowside on?

Right side. It was a turn that goes over a hill and down. I'm thinking the incline might have been enough to transfer enough weight to the front and just enough off the rear? I dunno. I didn't "feel" like I was pushing any harder than any other warm up lap but I guess you never know and should always err on the side of caution.

Broom
March 9th, 2009, 02:26 PM
what tires were you running? the bridgestones seem to warm up in about a lap as far as i can tell.

glad you were able to continue your day. I dunno if richard was there, but we had a guy at the track renting 250s at my last endurance race here in texas and he had a bunch of new woodcraft parts. i bought a new shift assembly from him after we mangled ours.

form looks pretty good. i think i need to start concentrating more on weighting the outside peg. i seem to have trouble doing that... i think partly due to being 6' tall.

Kurosaki
March 9th, 2009, 02:32 PM
BT-090s

I agree 1 lap seems to be good to put some heat in them.

But I was still on the first lap. :( Stupid mistake.

Broom
March 9th, 2009, 02:34 PM
it happens. my teamate crashed my pretty new bike the first turn of his first lap...

RaceBikeRentals
March 9th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Ouch... the important thing is that you're OK and you probably learned something in the process... right?? :D

Kurosaki
March 9th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Ouch... the important thing is that you're OK and you probably learned something in the process... right?? :D

Yes.

warm up lap means warm up lap.

seriously.:mad::D

and to not let it get to me. It happens to everyone, even the pros.

Alex
March 9th, 2009, 03:23 PM
it happens. my teamate crashed my pretty new bike the first turn of his first lap...

Is he still your teammate? :D

Broom
March 9th, 2009, 03:55 PM
that has yet to be determined ;) next endurance race isn't until may, so i have time to figure it out

BlueTyke
March 10th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Kuro I am glad you came out okay same with the bike!

Cali619
March 10th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Great pics, sorry to hear about the spill but glad to hear that the injuries and bike damage are minimal. You have a great attitude as a motorcyclist and shaking off the crash demons. Just wondering though, is it just me or does anyone else that has a spill see it over and over in their head and make adjustments or have the "should have done this" thoughts?

Broom
March 10th, 2009, 07:58 AM
i think something would be wrong if you didn't

kkim
March 10th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Just wondering though, is it just me or does anyone else that has a spill see it over and over in their head and make adjustments or have the "should have done this" thoughts?

it's called learning from experience. :)

kazam58
March 10th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Sorry to hear about your crash, Kuro. But I know you'll get that bike fixed up and back on the track as quickly as possible. ;)

Just wondering though, is it just me or does anyone else that has a spill see it over and over in their head and make adjustments or have the "should have done this" thoughts?
Well i haven't crashed on a bike yet (knock on wood) but I get these all the time, especially after a crash or mistake during a ski race, where it's all or nothing for no more than a minute at a time. Everyone gets those "shoulda, coulda, woulda" moments, especially if it's scary stuff. Something like sliding down the road I believe would qualify.

00v_Lucky
March 10th, 2009, 11:23 PM
pix or shens!!! :)

(but props on you and your bike surviving. then having the ballz to go onto the track again) actually, did you go back into the track MORE because you wanted to ride OR because of all of that dough you paid

Kurosaki
March 11th, 2009, 08:35 AM
pix or shens!!! :)

(but props on you and your bike surviving. then having the ballz to go onto the track again) actually, did you go back into the track MORE because you wanted to ride OR because of all of that dough you paid

I was ready to call it a day at first. I had already gotten some good riding in and wouldn't have felt cheated if I stopped there. But I needed to keep going just to prove I could do it. Otherwise, I'd be wondering what if the whole time until next track day, you know? Which I already have scheduled in April. Good to know that the bike is still fine and able to ride on the edge before taking it back to another track again instead of just stopping after the crash then finding out next time that something is wrong I can't fix right away.

But yes, I wanted to keep riding. When I saw the bike laying there after I got up, I figured levers and pegs would be broken off and that would be the end of the day whether I wanted to ride or not and that bothered me more than the crash itself.

Still trying to get the pictures off my camera. I charged my battery the other day but it says battery empty still. :mad: I guess the battery is dead. I'll just use my phone instead when I get home.

komohana
March 11th, 2009, 11:08 AM
hey kuro thanx for sharing the pix. glad you and ride are ok. impressed it didnt make you chuck it in and call it a day.

aloha

Kurosaki
March 22nd, 2009, 11:57 PM
My elbow is healing up nicely. ;P

Few days after the crash.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Turbo-Joe/r7t2k2.jpg

Week later

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Turbo-Joe/elbow.jpg

Today! This is after I rubbed the scab off in the shower so it still looks worse than it is. Everyday I shower, the scab comes off. But then hardens up an hour later. Kinda annoying. :rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Turbo-Joe/24x28lc.jpg

Broom
March 23rd, 2009, 07:29 AM
ouch... i didn't realize you had an injury. did you wear a hole in your leathers?

Kurosaki
March 23rd, 2009, 08:38 AM
It was through the stretch material . Actually it didn't go through the liner in the suit or the long sleeve shirt I had on underneath. It's like when you fall down and scrape your knee through your jeans but your jeans don't rip? if that's ever happened to you. :p