View Full Version : Saying hi to other bikers is kinda cool!

py2e
March 9th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I finally get to put some miles down this past weekend! (I live in NJ and there is a lot of snow...) I was my first time riding with traffic, and I noticed that random bikers from the opposite traffic were saying hi to me. I didn't know what to do or what happened initially, but eventually I started to stick my hand out too. I just thought it was kinda neat that bikers did that regardless of what kind of bike we're riding. :thumbup:

Realirony
March 9th, 2009, 12:56 PM
i know what you mean. this past weekend it was the very 1st time in almost 5 months that it has been above 75 degrees. I waved at every freakin biker I saw :D i even was waving at scooter and bicycle riders. Everyone was just happy that the weather was so nice, and it took me awhile to start noticing others waving.

i even had one guy on a cruiser come up next to me at a red light and say "hell of a day to ride huh?" and I was chattin him up "yea man, its beautiful outside." i dunno if he heard me though through my full-face and both our motors. but he nodded anyway XD

something i've noticed about bikers is they usually dont care what you're riding as long as you are sharing in the experience that not too many have 1st hand knowledge of. makes you feel like you are part of something though d=('-')z

ARc
March 9th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Yea I was waving like a noob until I saw other riders just stick out there hands in a V-sign. It's really cool because even Harley riders were doing it! ;D

kkim
March 9th, 2009, 01:10 PM
lol... welcome to the brother(sister)hood. :)

Apex
March 9th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Just don't be surprised when the "cool guys" won't wave. I think it is an ego thing, that they cannot be associated with a sportbike rider. I am not sure. I guess if it doesn't look cool, then it isn't worth doing. lol

kazam58
March 9th, 2009, 01:37 PM
I love waving to other bikers. And I definitely felt like a noob the first time I went out for a ride and met a few. Oh well, it happens. Sometimes I just want to turn around and go for a ride with them since I know no one else who rides, but I figure that would be a bit too much :p

Rynownd
March 9th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Same experience here! I have been watchin' bikers (with envy) for a couple years since I started wanting a bike... so I knew about 'the wave.' But this weekend (my first weekend on a bike) was the first nice weekend in a long time. So, there were bikes EVERYwhere, especially on the outskirts of town where I was doing most of my riding. To be honest I was starting to get tired of waving, but I did anyway haha. The only time I really didn't wave was when I was mid-corner... not experienced enough for one handed turns yet.

Oh yeah... the first bike I waved at was another '80 Ninja 250. His was Red though. But we got right next to one another and I yelled 'nice bike dude!' and of course he responded 'your's too!'

lavid2002
March 9th, 2009, 02:06 PM
lol doesn't work in cars....I was drivin the infiniti G35 and saw another g35, I stuck my hand out (was already on the roof, like chillin on the window u kno?) and he just gave me a bad look lol.

OldGuy
March 9th, 2009, 02:08 PM
lol... welcome to the brother(sister)hood. :)

:whathesaid:

Now don't be surprised when you see someone take their had off the bar like they are going to wave, and then just put it on their thigh and look straight ahead. You have "officially" been dissed.

:D

ninjabrewer
March 9th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I learned about "the wave" while in MSF class, 1st time was when I was test riding my bike around Wheeler AAF. Now, every rider I see either gets the V or the Shaka. 98% of the sport bikers return it or wave before I do. HD riders only about 2/3 do. Here they ride around in herds, and usually someone in the group will give the shaka.

I get a kick out of it. When I used to ride a road bike (bicycle) a lot, cyclist all did the same.

nb

mcteague
March 9th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I almost always wave at other motorcyclists. However, on the first nice Spring days my hand spends more time in the air than on the grip! At least it feels that way, especially when passing a group. The first couple get a wave and then I give up.

It cracks me up how few cruiser types don't wave at sportbike riders. I even wave at most scooters and they often just seem puzzled by the transaction.

Tim

VeX
March 9th, 2009, 03:12 PM
A truly funny video:
gqykEhOIaRk

g21-30
March 9th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Mordeth is cool and has a great sense of humor! :D

HKr1
March 9th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I even wave at most scooters and they often just seem puzzled by the transaction.

Tim

I like when scooters wave! < They wave more than HD's :)

py2e
March 9th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I was laughing so hard, water came up my nose. lol.

kazam58
March 9th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Mordeth is cool and has a great sense of humor! :D

lol, very true. I found his vids after someone posted his rave video. Funny stuff.

islanderman7
March 9th, 2009, 05:21 PM
lol, very true. I found his vids after someone posted his rave video. Funny stuff.

Yeah I like those videos too. Don't you just wanna know what that guy looks like. lol

Back to topic though. Waving to other bikers is awesome. The other day I waved at a LEO on a bike and to my surprise... he waved back. That made my day.:p

00v_Lucky
March 9th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I dont know which is worse, Scooter riders or harley doodes

sm0kediver
March 9th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Most cruisers wave. A few don't because waving goes against their carefully crafted biker image. They're trying to look rough and tough out there with their $20,000 bike and clip-on pony tail. Either that or they're afraid to take their hand off the handlebars...

I don't care. I wave at them anyway. It's better to be friendly. :)

GreezMunky
March 9th, 2009, 06:42 PM

Ah hemm... :wave: Now I'm just a someone.. Sniff sniff

lol :)

kazam58
March 9th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Awww, I'm sorry. I was simply far too lazy to go look for the thread. My deepest and most sincere apologies...

GreezMunky
March 9th, 2009, 06:58 PM
:D

komohana
March 9th, 2009, 07:39 PM
kkim and myself were talk'n bout the biker wave on our ride this weekend...i wave at everyone riding when i'm on 2 wheels. living local and island style is unique. ya gotta experience to feel it. add on the ohana or family of the biker-hood, and it sorta feels twice as nice. BUT, like anywhere else, paradise included...ALWAYS gonna have the 'no reply' every now and then on both sides. i'm from here and go both ways
(cruiser and sporty you perv..):nahnahnah:

:thewave:so everyone gets da wave!:thewave:

:wave:

Nemy
March 9th, 2009, 07:53 PM
biker camaraderie is definitely a factor in why I love riding so much. I'll wave to anyone but the same 2/3 rule applies for cruisers here in Canada :rolleyes:

Though I must say I don't usually wave at scooters unless I see them wave first. Cause I might be generalizing here, but I don't think scooters are aware of the "biker code".

And be aware of the other biker hand signals (some may be regional):

tap on helmet/finger twirling in the air - watch out for coppers
foot out - change riding lane or watch out for an obstacle/pothole etc
clench and unclench fist - you forgot to turn off your signal
low sweeping motion - you can pass

what else is there that I forgot?

watcanido
March 10th, 2009, 12:13 AM
biker camaraderie is definitely a factor in why I love riding so much. I'll wave to anyone but the same 2/3 rule applies for cruisers here in Canada :rolleyes:

Though I must say I don't usually wave at scooters unless I see them wave first. Cause I might be generalizing here, but I don't think scooters are aware of the "biker code".

Cool! Nemy I was wondering if their were any other body signals for motorcycle riders. This stuff is good to know. Thanks for sharing. Anyone else know anymore? please share :)

Visus
March 10th, 2009, 03:15 AM
I noticed this too when I started riding not too long ago. Very cool camaraderie thing among bikers. I'm still trying to figure out my wave.

miks
March 10th, 2009, 04:26 AM

Grinding on your tank pad, then giving it a nice slap : Used if you see someone you find attractive of the opposite sex and .... you know how it goes! :thumbup:

Rynownd
March 10th, 2009, 06:48 AM
That video was hilarious! I loved that 'hello kitty wave' and how he would have is hands off the bars as he said 'always keep your hands on the bars'... great stuff

tap on helmet/finger twirling in the air - watch out for coppersfoot out - change riding lane or watch out for an obstacle/pothole etc
clench and unclench fist - you forgot to turn off your signallow sweeping motion - you can pass

I like those two a lot... hopfully the bikers in my parts know those. I am always trying to remember to turn off my signals.

Cali619
March 10th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Yeah , biker wave is a good feeling to send and receive. If not a wave , some give a head nod, or the raise of the hand while still gripped to the handlebar wave so they dont eat it.

CC Cowboy
March 10th, 2009, 07:50 AM
This waving stuff seems to be pretty cool. What do you do when you come upon multiple riders riding in the opposite direction? Do you have to wave to each one? What if there are 10 to 20 riders? Is there a time when you don't wave (like riders with patches on their back depicting gangs)? Do you still have to wave when you are passing someone going the same direction? How about riders on the highway when there is a median separating the roads by a large distance? If someone is stopped on the side on the road do you wave or stop to help? If someone is towing a bike on a trailer (they are still riders) do you wave? If someone doesn't wave back do you "flick them off"? I'm so confused I think I'll just wink from under my sun glasses and full face helmet. That way if they don't wave back I don't feel insignificant. Besides it's the thought that counts.

CupcakeNinja
March 10th, 2009, 08:31 AM
What does it mean when they point down at the ground? Is that another way of saying hi or do they just like my riding boots? lol

sm0kediver
March 10th, 2009, 09:21 AM
That's a funny username :p

Sound Wave
March 10th, 2009, 09:23 AM
What does it mean when they point down at the ground? Is that another way of saying hi or do they just like my riding boots? lol

if they are ahead of you in the same direction, it usually means they are pointing something out to you and saying, "watch out, there is some sort of hazard on the road." if they are coming from the opposite, direction... probably just saying hi.

Sound Wave
March 10th, 2009, 09:42 AM
This waving stuff seems to be pretty cool. What do you do when you come upon multiple riders riding in the opposite direction? Do you have to wave to each one? What if there are 10 to 20 riders? Is there a time when you don't wave (like riders with patches on their back depicting gangs)? Do you still have to wave when you are passing someone going the same direction? How about riders on the highway when there is a median separating the roads by a large distance? If someone is stopped on the side on the road do you wave or stop to help? If someone is towing a bike on a trailer (they are still riders) do you wave? If someone doesn't wave back do you "flick them off"? I'm so confused I think I'll just wink from under my sun glasses and full face helmet. That way if they don't wave back I don't feel insignificant. Besides it's the thought that counts.
--if there is a convoy going in the other direction, i usually just stick out my hand until i pass them all. otherwise, it is like "hi to you guys, but not to you." lol
--haven't seen any gangs around here. never saw a stopped biker... but like a ford mustang (my other love), i would stop to help if i wasn't in a rush.
--if they don't wave back, i would never flick them off. that might cause them to come after me... besides, it isn't that big a deal. maybe they didn't see you. cruisers probably did. hehe. sometimes i am concentrating (or daydreaming) and at the last moment i see that there was a motorcyclist that had been waving at me. i try to wave, but at that point they had already past me.
--if i saw someone towing a bike, i would wave
--large medians... depends if i think they can see me. usually not.
--oh, and if i am passing them in the same direction, i either wave but usually just nod.

py2e
March 10th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Haha, these are like the "shot-gun" rules. :D

Nemy
March 10th, 2009, 10:41 AM
--if there is a convoy going in the other direction, i usually just stick out my hand until i pass them all. otherwise, it is like "hi to you guys, but not to you." lol
--haven't seen any gangs around here. never saw a stopped biker... but like a ford mustang (my other love), i would stop to help if i wasn't in a rush.
--if they don't wave back, i would never flick them off. that might cause them to come after me... besides, it isn't that big a deal. maybe they didn't see you. cruisers probably did. hehe. sometimes i am concentrating (or daydreaming) and at the last moment i see that there was a motorcyclist that had been waving at me. i try to wave, but at that point they had already past me.
--if i saw someone towing a bike, i would wave
--large medians... depends if i think they can see me. usually not.
--oh, and if i am passing them in the same direction, i either wave but usually just nod.

yup, exactly the same here.

It was great when we had a 100 person group ride, people we passed must've had their clutch hand out for a LONG time :D

talldrink
March 10th, 2009, 10:41 AM

Scooterists are VERY aware of the "biker code" and employ it also. I am also a scooterist and know this for a fact. :D

"What does it mean when they point down at the ground? Is that another way of saying hi or do they just like my riding boots? lol"

Usually, that is another way of saying hi, I believe. IIRC, it means keep two wheels on the ground (when it's like an upside down peace sign).

Visus
March 11th, 2009, 01:47 AM
I think I've found my wave: the "pewpewpew!" http://s5.tinypic.com/7136kn.jpg
Requires 2 hands, so might be dangerous.

py2e
March 11th, 2009, 06:09 AM

hot. :drool:

g21-30
March 11th, 2009, 06:15 AM

Check out Post #12 above (Vex). That is one of the waves used by Mordeth :thumbup:

cwb48
March 11th, 2009, 11:26 AM
lol doesn't work in cars....

It used to work with British sports cars. When I had my first car, a '62 MGA, all the Triumph, MG and even Sunbeam Alpine guys would wave. I guess that's mostly over now.

Chris

g21-30
March 11th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Jeep Wrangler owners almost always do the "Wave" to each other. If you haven't seen it, it's because it's a "Jeep Thing!" :)

komohana
March 11th, 2009, 11:33 AM

am skilled enuff to do it....
but just wouldnt be the same coming from me ... ya know? :idunno:

:drool: