View Full Version : What's that plug near the clutch lever for?

IF13
September 5th, 2013, 02:52 PM
I realized I've been test riding the bike for the last week without anything connected to it.

alex.s
September 5th, 2013, 03:00 PM
the plug on the clutch lever is the clutch sensor. when you are not in neutral, this is used to prevent you from trying to start the engine in gear with the clutch out (sending you forward unexpectedly)

IF13
September 5th, 2013, 04:20 PM
the plug on the clutch lever is the clutch sensor. when you are not in neutral, this is used to prevent you from trying to start the engine in gear with the clutch out (sending you forward unexpectedly)

Interesting. Could that explain why my bike wouldn't start in first even with the lever pulled?

Mountain Dew
September 5th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Yes.

Motofool
September 5th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Interesting. Could that explain why my bike wouldn't start in first even with the lever pulled?

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Understanding/troubleshooting_the_safety_switches

boomer187um
September 6th, 2013, 11:48 AM
it will start in first.... with the clutch pulled AND the kickstand up

Alex
September 6th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Right - if that clutch sensor is working.

headshrink
September 14th, 2013, 05:10 PM
IIRC it's for when you're start getting fatigued on those long rides. All you do is plug yourself into that plug for an extra burst of energy. Yeah, that sounds about right.

red26
September 20th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Does it also tells the ecu that you are pulling the clutch, and the fueling is adjusted likewise? I know this is the case with my K4, because it needs the clutch to be pulled to start. Some owner jump the wires together which creates the fuelling issue

IF13
September 20th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Does it also tells the ecu that you are pulling the clutch, and the fueling is adjusted likewise? I know this is the case with my K4, because it needs the clutch to be pulled to start. Some owner jump the wires together which creates the fuelling issue

I still haven't plugged in back in. Lol. I'll do it soon.

But yeah, I can't imagine fueling could be auto-adjusted as you describe it on a carbed model though.

red26
September 21st, 2013, 11:37 AM
:D LOL..sorry for that as i have the FI version. Weird as mine actually dont have the switch.

headshrink
September 21st, 2013, 02:34 PM
I think it's just a kill switch on the US bikes to prevent you from starting it in gear.