View Full Version : Racing in the Rain

Broom
March 10th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I hate racing in the rain. i do laps thinking "i'm actually paying money to do this, and its not fun"

i have a half day track day friday morning with 40% chance of rain, and practice with one sprint saturday in with the same predictions. i have a sprint on sunday thats looking like a dry race.

do you guys think i should mount up rain tires and give it a good go, or just do laps and get some points? I've never ran a rain tire before. do they grip well enough to make it fun again?

RaceBikeRentals
March 10th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Just keep the DOTs on and get used to the tires moving around on you. Don't ride over your head. It'll be GREAT experience for you & make you more comfortable with sliding the bike!

camaroz1985
March 10th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I saw your race report from the Enduro you did. Seems like your teammates should hate racing in the rain more :D

What rain tires would you be able to use?

Broom
March 10th, 2009, 10:24 AM
my bridgestone guy has a race rain front. he says the rear (090) is fine in the rain.

I'm not too bad with sliding the bike around a bit. racing minis for the past 4 or 5 years has taught me a lot about that. its kind of different in the rain though. at least it is for me. i think i get nervous and feel like its just going to go. i can't get rolling enough to get any heat in the tires or get any corner speed going. might have something to do with getting hardware (pictured) after a fall in the rain my first year of racing. had a dryline going into a slow hairpin. braked hard (going straight) then let off to start my turn in and the front unloaded and slid out while i was still straight up and down. slapped me down pretty good. collar bone was in 4 or 5 pieces.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/111/315956634_f1b3288cda_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbroom/315956634/)

the rain is kinda fun on a motard, but nerve racking on a sportbike.

camaroz1985
March 10th, 2009, 10:34 AM
What about the rods in your back? Are they from the same thing?

CRXTrek
March 10th, 2009, 11:06 AM
What about the rods in your back? Are they from the same thing?
Click on his pic... he has notes .
Looks painful :(

Broom
March 10th, 2009, 11:12 AM
scoliosis... got somewhere around 11 vertebra fused when i was 17. i think thats part of the reason i broke my collar bone so bad and why i beat up my ribs so easy... my back doesn't flex to absorb hits like it should.