View Full Version : Break in or Install slip on?

Nemy
March 10th, 2009, 10:58 AM
So I've got a beautiful leovince exhaust sitting in my basement and my day-old 2009 in the garage with 60 km. Is there any rule of thumb on when to install a slip on?

I'll be breaking her in via the mototune method after the first 100 km (aka hard riding). But is there any reason I should hold off on the exhaust swap? Maybe to wait a couple hundred clicks to see if any problems develop?

kkim
March 10th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I'd hold off long enough that you are certain you have no major defects w/ the engine. The slipon won't hurt (other than making the bike run a bit leaner), but if you have a warranty claim and they see that exhaust, they will try to pin your problems on it.

Get to know the stock bike for now so you will be able to tell what changes the slipon brings.

Nemy
March 10th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Damnit. I knew that was what I was supposed to do... just didn't want to :(

I'll try and hold off for a couple hundred kms... but my willpower is weak for new toys :rolleyes:

kkim
March 10th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Spend your time doing short break in trips and changing the oil/filter. That should keep you busy. :p

I say get to know how the bike is stock because after you install the slip on, you might experience some surging at light throttle cruising, which is a sign that you should shim the needles or rejet, so having a basis to compare is important before you start changing things.

Alex
March 10th, 2009, 02:32 PM
And don't think changing the oil more than once per day is too much; for best results people can leave extra oil and filters every five miles along a known route, so you can quickly get things done as you arrive at each 5 mile interval. :rotflmao:

kkim
March 10th, 2009, 02:34 PM
that would be one way. :p

komohana
March 10th, 2009, 03:55 PM
And don't think changing the oil more than once per day is too much; for best results people can leave extra oil and filters every five miles along a known route, so you can quickly get things done as you arrive at each 5 mile interval. :rotflmao:

:laugh:

Snake
March 10th, 2009, 04:15 PM
:dancecool:Alex you crack me up. The best Admin I have ever seen.:bow: :cheers::goodjobsign:

Nemy
March 10th, 2009, 04:53 PM
lol changing every 5 miles I don't think anybody's going to get very far :rolleyes: I think my schedule will be (in km) 100, 200, 500, 1000.