View Full Version : EX250R vs EX250J what's the difference?

birdy
March 11th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Got a quick question for you all. My dealer called and said my 2009 Ninja has arrived been prepped and is ready to pick up. I got the VIN and called my insurance co (Progressive) to change from the Harley I sold to the Ninja and gave them the vin, year, make, model and engine size. The lady at the other end told me there was no such thing as a Ninja ex250R but only an EX250J. She faxed me a temporary card with the correct vin etc but it says Kawa EX250J. Can anyone tell me what the difference is or if this should make any difference on my premium rate? What really sux is it's 74 deg today but didn't get the call til closing time and I work late tomorrow and it's supposed to have snow showers on Friday go figure!:(

Syphen
March 11th, 2009, 03:16 PM
it is a Ninja 250R, aka EX250J. What they told you is correct. There is no such thing as an EX250R. The letter at the end is a generational thing. (EX-250C/E/F/G/H and now J) Model C & E are 1st gen, old school boxy things. F,G,H are the ZZR250 (2nd gen) and J is the new 3rd gen.

hogfan83
March 11th, 2009, 03:17 PM
my insurance card reads EX 250 G???

i know its a 250R just thought the G was for color..

Alex
March 11th, 2009, 03:40 PM
If the VIN is correct, don't worry about it; you're insured. :thumbup: The model field on the insurance company's computer is wrong as often as it is right, as it rarely keeps up with the new model designations year after year, in my experience.

Nemy
March 11th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Mine's a EX250J9FA lol. But I was told the 9FA or atleast the A means SE Green. It won't matter unless for some reason their computers have a lower premium for the R. But usually anything ending in R is higher anyways...