View Full Version : buying a used 2,000 mile ninja 300 SE for $3,800.00

noname
September 19th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Hi,

I got my MSF and endorsement. I am in the process of buying my very 1st bike and keep for a very very long time. In the winter, I plan to store the ninja in my basement.

This is from a dealership just 10 mins away using the back roads. The original price was $4000, so I talked him down to $3,800 excluding the title and tax. Used, 2000 miles and has been dropped once--minor scratches.

Since it was fuel-injected, I wanted the ninja 300 over a carb. Many experienced riders say never buy new, only used. So, I am buying a used ninja 300.

I will post pics in 2 weeks.

Did I do OK?

It is a SE special edition green.

Aggrotech
September 19th, 2013, 01:19 PM
wouldnt say thats a bad deal. 2k miles isnt anything and couldve been racked up by the previous owner in a weeks time. its the SE aswell so its an automatic price increase.

where are the scratches at?

noname
September 19th, 2013, 01:22 PM
wouldnt say thats a bad deal. 2k miles isnt anything and couldve been racked up by the previous owner in a weeks time. its the SE aswell so its an automatic price increase.

where are the scratches at?

On the right side and hardly noticeable. The dealership had the mechanics look into the bike and found no internal damage. They said it was dropped while stationary. The changed the oil and everything and say it is ready to go. It is a reputable dealership, so no funny business.

quarterliter
September 19th, 2013, 02:32 PM
As long as you stay on top of the carbs they are fine. If you have money to blow on a almost new bike go for it but realistically a pregen or a new gen would suffice too. I doubt you will notice the difference in power. Also if you want a deal buy from a private party.

subxero
September 20th, 2013, 07:54 AM
As long as you stay on top of the carbs they are fine. If you have money to blow on a almost new bike go for it but realistically a pregen or a new gen would suffice too. I doubt you will notice the difference in power. Also if you want a deal buy from a private party.

This, I never understand the hate for carbs especially on single and 2 cylinder motorcycles. Sure working on a carbed 4cylinder is a complete PITA but at least you can tune it yourself. EFI you need the tools/equipment to read out engine info then know how to use software to tune it which is not near as easy as playing with some jets IMO.

So for most EFI if you want to get your bike tuned you will take it somewhere else and pay money for someone else to do it or buy OTS maps that aren't perfect either

just my 2cents

nothing wrong with carbs IMO

Panda
September 20th, 2013, 08:03 AM
A 300 with carbs huh? Sexy.

quarterliter
September 20th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Exactly. Bike is running a little lean off idle turn out the mixture screws vs power commander and tuning aka $$$$

Sirref
September 20th, 2013, 09:58 PM
although you will be fine with carbs, under 4 grand for a 300 is a steal and depending on how much drop damage it is it's absolutely worth it

allanoue
September 21st, 2013, 07:02 AM
I think you are getting a great bike for the price and where you are as a rider. :thumbup: