View Full Version : Best fender elim?

CrzyFstMnM
March 12th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Okay so I really don't want to spend $100 on a fender elim kit when i cud use that money and save up to buy an exhaust.

So in your guys' opinions what wud be the best way to make it look better? shud i just chop the tail off right under the licence plate? or shud i try to take the complete fender off and put the turn signals and licence plate back on somehow?

if anyone has a DIY for any of these it wud be awesome

Alex
March 12th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Have you checked out this thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=964) yet? A number of optionis in there, from just cutting the fender to replacing with a few types of eliminators.

CrzyFstMnM
March 12th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Yea i checked this out. hmm i got to decide which one i want to do that will look good and save me the most money.

grandmaster
March 12th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I will have a new DIY up within the next two weeks and you can make your own!!

CrzyFstMnM
March 12th, 2009, 06:11 PM
alright that wud be awesome. im sure there are a few days to do it yourself. its just this is my first bike and i don't want to mess up the first thing i start working on ya know ha id rather start off right and then mess up later

Rynownd
March 12th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I have next week off school and I ordered some stuff to attempt my own fender elimination. Hopefully I can get some pics when I'm done... because it will be the best hahaha

HKr1
March 12th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Yea i checked this out. hmm i got to decide which one i want to do that will look good and save me the most money.

I went with the FREE one :thumbup: < the complete FREE one :)

CrzyFstMnM
March 12th, 2009, 08:09 PM
ha i like the sound of a completely free one.
what did u do? chop it off? lol

Nemy
March 12th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I went with the FREE one :thumbup: < the complete FREE one :)

you still had to pay for the L bracket! :eek:
lol and a LP light if it's required in your area.

some of us went with a trim instead of a chop :rolleyes:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2854/bike013.jpg

CrzyFstMnM
March 12th, 2009, 11:42 PM
hey Nemy, did u just take a saw and cut the tail off by the licence plate?

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2854/bike013.jpg

Nemy
March 12th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I actually used a dremel to cut and sand. Then finished it up with some 150 sandpaper.

I think kkim used a hacksaw though.

CrzyFstMnM
March 13th, 2009, 12:09 AM
alright awesome im going to do it. id rather do that than spend $100 right now

kkim
March 13th, 2009, 12:22 AM
This is what I followed, courtesy of HKr1
click here (http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=104802&highlight=free+fender+eliminator)

Sound Wave
March 13th, 2009, 09:38 AM
This is what I followed, courtesy of HKr1
click here (http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=104802&highlight=free+fender+eliminator)

wow. that did come out really nice.

Ninja007
March 13th, 2009, 07:42 PM
IMO, if you're willing to spend a little money to get a fender elminator kit, it looks 100X better then taking a hack saw to it. IMO it just looks trashy...this pic below is the Comp. Werkes. Sure, its $100, but it was worth it IMO.

kkim
March 13th, 2009, 08:35 PM
IMO, if you're willing to spend a little money to get a fender elminator kit, it looks 100X better then taking a hack saw to it. IMO it just looks trashy...this pic below is the Comp. Werkes. Sure, its $100, but it was worth it IMO.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but other than the state mandated saftey check inspection sticker and the cargo hooks that I wanted to retain, what is the difference between your eliminator and mine (that I literally took to with a hack saw) other than a hundred doller bill? :D

Care to point out the "trashy" part?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1002&d=1236998537

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_geC920GCq38/SO7L_LCZvGI/AAAAAAAABMA/cO4ll9XVzzs/s640/IMG_0228.JPG

blubyu
March 13th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Ninja007, thanks for the pic. I just ordered one from ebay. $89.99 and free shipping.

ebay link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-09-Kawasaki-Ninja-250-Comp-Werkes-Fender-Eliminator_W0QQitemZ200319227081QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories ?_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116#ht_1188wt_1087)

Sound Wave
March 13th, 2009, 08:49 PM
i was going to comment on that, but decided not to. but since kelly brought it up... yeah, the two look virtually identical (comp werkes and the "hack" job). plus, the "hack" job retains the hooks. i think that was the best diy method i have seen yet.

now if I had done my own FE, then yeah, chances are it would have looked trashy. that is why i decided to buy mine. :D

CrzyFstMnM
March 13th, 2009, 09:06 PM
yea i mean if u can get it to look clean and the way you want it to, then i say DIY is the way to go. i won't attempt to do it unless i understand everything that needs to happen first. i just think it wud be really cool to do your own FE, not just to save money, but hey you did it yourself and it turned out good - that kind of thing. Ill post pics step by step if and when i do mine. then we can compare it to a FE kit

miks
March 13th, 2009, 09:50 PM
You should take a close up of the fender Kelly.

And what is that thing under your LP?

kkim
March 13th, 2009, 10:03 PM
You should take a close up of the fender Kelly.

And what is that thing under your LP?

Why? How much closer would anyone else get to that thing to see how clean it is?

That's a Hawaii State safety check inspection sticker that the dealer insisted needed to be put in that location. I asked when I bought the bike for them to locate it on the swingarm as most other stations do, but nooooo. :mad:

Ninja007
March 13th, 2009, 10:38 PM
ok kkim, you got me. yours (and maybe a few select others who did theirs like yours) is a pretty dang good "hack saw" job. kudos to you :thumbup:. However, I have seen some "hack" jobs that, IMO, don't look quite as clean and tidy as yours. I knew that if I were to attempt what you did with your fender elminator, I would have hacked the entire back end! :p.

Care to point out the "trashy" part?

and if I had to be a stickler, I'd have to say, I don't notice any LP light no yours...:D

Sound Wave
March 13th, 2009, 10:49 PM
i gotta say. ugly as the stock fenders are. they actually serve a purpose. with the stock fender, i went riding after it had rained. the back of my bike was fine.

with my FE kit, under similar conditions, my passenger seat was sprayed with dirty road water. some made it to the back of my jacket as well.

i don't usually ride when the roads are wet, so it shouldn't be much of an issue. just a heads up for those considering the mod.

kkim
March 13th, 2009, 11:18 PM
and if I had to be a stickler, I'd have to say, I don't notice any LP light no yours...:D
you got me... but how does that make it "trashy"? the important thing is the the police don't notice no LP light on mine, which they have not. :D

My point being that just because you think yours looks good (which it does), that does not give you license to call every other FE job "trash".

I say, to each his own... we can choose what we want to do without attacking other's choices in fender elimination methods and life in general.

CrzyFstMnM
March 14th, 2009, 12:54 AM
hey come on guys, lets all get along
i say that those who are confident in themselves to do their own FE can do it and it will look good. for those who aren't really sure if they want to mess with it themselves then a kit is good. they both look good. the only way it wud be trashy wud be to take a handsaw and just start hacking in different places and of course no good rider wud do that to his/her bike!

lets not attack each other over FE :rolleyes:

kkim
March 14th, 2009, 01:04 AM
... no argument here, just a difference of opinion.

Believe me, if there was an argument going on, you would definitely know about it. :D

CrzyFstMnM
March 14th, 2009, 01:08 AM
haha fair enough
i hope i wudn't have to hear anything about it

Shift250R
March 14th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Im not sure if comp werkes kit has cutting involved but the good thing is that the no cut kits can always be swapped back to the original fender. Just in case you wanted to sell or pass at some places with crazy tight inspection.

noche_caliente
March 14th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Check out this thread:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=964
My vote is for the R&G shown here:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=21240&postcount=78

kkim
March 14th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Im not sure if comp werkes kit has cutting involved but the good thing is that the no cut kits can always be swapped back to the original fender. Just in case you wanted to sell or pass at some places with crazy tight inspection.

Good point, but if you need to, you can buy a brand new piece that you cut at the dealer and if I remember correctly, it was less than $100.

Shift250R
March 14th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Thats good to know. I chopped mine up like 3 times already.

HKr1
March 14th, 2009, 04:45 PM

I did... LOL < like you know me :) I used a piece of metal from a fiber patch panel :p < it was free ;)

miks
March 14th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Why? How much closer would anyone else get to that thing to see how clean it is?

That's a Hawaii State safety check inspection sticker that the dealer insisted needed to be put in that location. I asked when I bought the bike for them to locate it on the swingarm as most other stations do, but nooooo. :mad:

Can't you just yank it off and relocate it yourself?

jameZ
March 14th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I got the Targa kit on ebay for $80. I think it looks super clean because the mounting bracket is black, unlike the Comp Werks kit, and it is also a true "no cut" kit.

kkim
March 14th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Can't you just yank it off and relocate it yourself?

I could try, but I've not had good luck with peeling those safety stickers off and trying to reuse them. I'll most likely wait until it's due and go to another safety inspection station that let's me put it where I want it.

jameZ
March 14th, 2009, 09:40 PM
kkim, I used a hairdryer to get mine off. Just takes a little patience and a steady hand.

kkim
March 14th, 2009, 09:54 PM
I've tried that when I wanted to move them on cars. They stretch and become misshapen when I do it. perhaps the material that they use here is a bit different. I've removed stickers and other things of that nature, but the sticker material that the state uses seems to purposely be chosen so tampering with them renders them useless.

Sound Wave
March 14th, 2009, 10:15 PM
the bad thing about having them mounted where we do, is that someone can easily steal the plate the sticker is on and just stick it on their bike... or car for that matter.

SF-Dug
March 18th, 2009, 09:58 PM
the bad thing about having them mounted where we do, is that someone can easily steal the plate the sticker is on and just stick it on their bike... or car for that matter.

Take a razor blade and slice the sticker carefully once you slap it on. This prevents people from cleaning taking it off.

Sound Wave
March 18th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Take a razor blade and slice the sticker carefully once you slap it on. This prevents people from cleaning taking it off.
oh... what i meant was that the metal plate the sticker is on can be removed. so the thief can have an intact sticker that they can just mount the metal plate on their bike or car.

Jiu Jitsu Player
March 19th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Personally I like the Kkim style cut job. The only reason I didn't go this route is because local law requires a license plate light so rather than figure out how to put one on there myself, I decided to waste $100 bucks on the targa kit to spell it all out for me.

If I didn't need an LP light I would have done the cut. the targa kit is good, but its not as clean as it should be for the price IMHO.

kkim
March 19th, 2009, 08:02 PM
The only reason I didn't go this route is because local law requires a license plate light so rather than figure out how to put one on there myself, I decided to waste $100 bucks on the targa kit to spell it all out for me.

They sell license plate bolts that contain LEDs which will light up the plate if that is a concern.

Jiu Jitsu Player
March 19th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Too late! I've had the targa on for almost 2 weeks now. It doesn't look bad at all, I just wish there werent as many gaps around the brakelight as there are. The kit actually has one LED LP bolt light on it.

Buffalony
March 20th, 2009, 06:32 AM
They sell license plate bolts that contain LEDs which will light up the plate if that is a concern.

I did this. looks great. I spent $10 on my fender eliminator. It was only the cost of the LP lights. I could have spent $0 all stock by slotting the bottom of the break light to illuminate the plate. But I really like the Plate Bolt lights even though their a small PITA.