View Full Version : Better than the Dragon!

noche_caliente
March 12th, 2009, 06:12 PM
So this is a video of my Daddy riding rt. 56 in VA. In our opinion it's better than the Dragon because it has less traffic - and it's special to us, as we've been riding it together as long as I can remember - usually with me on the back of his bike - used to be an '87 Silverwing, now it's a Wee strom :)

-GTbtX9wjRs

I'm also really proud of him, as this is his first attempt at posting video! :D

Here is the original post (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9272461&postcount=1170) from advrider.

kkim
March 12th, 2009, 07:35 PM
lovely ride. :thumbup:

truck at the 5 minute mark... I hate them ****ers that cross lines. :mad:

BlueTyke
March 13th, 2009, 06:45 AM
Wow that does look like a nice road! Thanks for sharing that one!

Cali619
March 13th, 2009, 06:52 AM
Nice video, after first few minutes warming up he gets real spirited in the ride, wtg dad :)

noche_caliente
March 13th, 2009, 03:05 PM
he's one of the best riders I've ever met, and that's not just because I love my Daddy and am proud of him :) He just turned 65 believe it or not :)
What you can't tell is that at about the 35 second mark it goes to new pavement that was laid in the summer - it was as black as could be before the winter weather hit - but it's so light now because of all of the salt and sand on it

g21-30
March 14th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Great video. Now I just have to find out how far I need to travel, so I can try it out. Found this on Google:

http://www.vahighways.com/va-ends/va056.htm :thumbup:

noche_caliente
March 14th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Sam - if you can make it to the Sheetz in Powhatan County just about any Saturday or Sunday, he'd be happy to take you out there :)

<iframe width="600" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=US-60&amp;daddr=VA-56+to:Tye+River+Turnpike%2FVA-56&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FauNPAIdJYBc-w%3BFZgyPQId9FFQ-w%3BFZBiQgIdyJBH-w&amp;mra=mr&amp;rtol=0,1,2&amp;sll=37.526269,-77.843199&amp;sspn=0.025186,0.051842&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;s=AARTsJpb64LlbS6Lkfs7Qj3dHvzIeOee0w&amp;ll =37.716418,-78.516541&amp;spn=0.760435,1.647949&amp;z=9&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=US-60&amp;daddr=VA-56+to:Tye+River+Turnpike%2FVA-56&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=FauNPAIdJYBc-w%3BFZgyPQId9FFQ-w%3BFZBiQgIdyJBH-w&amp;mra=mr&amp;rtol=0,1,2&amp;sll=37.526269,-77.843199&amp;sspn=0.025186,0.051842&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=37.716418,-78.516541&amp;spn=0.760435,1.647949&amp;z=9" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Custom Seat Creations
March 14th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Last I knew passing on double yellows is a bad thing.

GreezMunky
March 15th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Last I knew passing on double yellows is a bad thing.

If it's a choice of crossing double yellows (as long as I can see for the amount of stretch I need to pass them) or sitting behind someone going extremely slow and having to constantly watch myself to not tailgate them and put me in an even more dangerous situation, I'll cross double yellows. But it's not something I practice regularly, if I even get the hint of a bad feeling before doing it, I won't.

GreezMunky
March 15th, 2009, 10:16 AM

Ahhhhh! I just saw that and that is scary as crap. Brings back flashbacks of that almost happening to me in that same deal. But instead of a Dodge Dakota, it was a Dodge 1500.

Custom Seat Creations
March 15th, 2009, 11:50 AM

The rider crosses the lines more than once in this video. Most notably at 2:45. It just so happens there's no car on the other side and it isn't a blind turn. I tend to be more technical oriented when watching videos since I ride canons all the time in the Rockies where there's 15 mph hairpin blind turns

Overall, good vid though.

noche_caliente
March 15th, 2009, 12:08 PM
The rider crosses the lines more than once in this video. Most notably at 2:45. It just so happens there's no car on the other side and it isn't a blind turn. I tend to be more technical oriented when watching videos since I ride canons all the time in the Rockies where there's 15 mph hairpin blind turns

Overall, good vid though.

Well Becky, if you were so technical, then maybe you would have noticed the sand and gravel on the inside of the turn that he went wide to avoid - if you don't like my father's riding, fine- stay out of the thread

Custom Seat Creations
March 15th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Well Becky, if you were so technical, then maybe you would have noticed the sand and gravel on the inside of the turn that he went wide to avoid - if you don't like my father's riding, fine- stay out of the thread

No problem. Constructive criticism of riding is always welcome. What if there had been a car or the truck and faced with sand or gravel on the side. What choices could a rider have made? Just a question. No need to get upset. Your blatant vulgarity and disrespect is completely uncalled for in the rest of the message you sent which I edited out after posting as you did.

Furthermore, every video posted should be used as a learning experience for fellow riders, especially 250 riders as most are new and may not have experienced such roads or conditions. It's unfortunate you didn't take it that way.

GreezMunky
March 15th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Hey Becky, if she sent that message to you in a PM (if that was indeed how it reached you), maybe it should stay that way? No need to let it spill onto the public forum.. :2cents:

noche_caliente
March 15th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Tor- I can't see Becky's message, but I had typed out a long response, and rather than clicking go advanced, clicked post quick reply - I had edited it within a minute or so, but it is possible that she saw it in the intervening time while I was editing
I usually get things out by typing out what I would like to say, and then making it more pc - if she did see the original, I apologize - as that was my way of venting

GreezMunky
March 15th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Ah, I understand. Please disregard my earlier post then..

Custom Seat Creations
March 16th, 2009, 06:00 AM
Tor, yes, it was posted here. No worries though. I've developed some pretty thick skin after being in the military for 12+ years. The comment just seemed a poor response. Kim, I honestly meant no disrespect and sorry you took it that way. It wasn't meant that way at all, only to help other riders. I edited out the comment here as well. It's too bad we won't be doing business.

GreezMunky
March 16th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Ah, I understand. Please disregard my earlier post then..

*sighs*

zartan
March 16th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Hey!! noticed that the boys scattared :) hehe we scare the heck out of them!!
Now I hope this is one of those times that when we gals really do not like one another or get pissed off, later find out that they actually can get along. There are so few of us I hate to see you bummed at each other. I for one would love to see this thread cleaned up to it's original post of the vid!!

ok now you can all turn on me GRRRRR!!!:)

Custom Seat Creations
March 17th, 2009, 05:38 AM
Hey!! noticed that the boys scattared :) hehe we scare the heck out of them!!
Now I hope this is one of those times that when we gals really do not like one another or get pissed off, later find out that they actually can get along. There are so few of us I hate to see you bummed at each other. I for one would love to see this thread cleaned up to it's original post of the vid!!

ok now you can all turn on me GRRRRR!!!:)

It's always been about the vid.

BlueTyke
March 17th, 2009, 07:06 AM
So Kim... When we riding this huh?? :D Your dad can come to!

CC Cowboy
March 24th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I love the argument about crossing the double yellow lines. When I get bored I try to ride in between the two yellow lines for as far as I can. It isn't as easy as it would seem. I'm not bad at it and can usually go for miles and miles. Obviously I don't do it with traffic (either way). I just imagine that the whole road is only as wide as the gap between the lines. It is like riding a dirt bike on a tight trail. If you get real good the turns come as easy as the straights. It takes a lot on concentration and will teach you that you can actually ride in tight spaces, at speed.

eddiekay
July 14th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Just stumbled across this vid....in the right hands, those big honda's can really move.
I've chased one thru a sweeper at over 120 on my fz6 and had one blast by me, 2 up on an uphill sweeper last week on my ninjette. excellent vid.

Cazper
July 15th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Sweet video!! Wish I could find a route that long and twisty!! Thanks for sharing!