View Full Version : Posting... and YOU

kkim
March 13th, 2009, 01:30 AM
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

BlueTyke
March 13th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Kelly... You trying to tell us something? Is there an opinion there? What reasons do you have for posting this? Is it perhaps a question then? Where is the information so I can better give you an answer? Or is this just something random that you just had to post... ?

(I am teasing, that was very amusing)

zeroth
March 13th, 2009, 10:14 AM
VERY funny. Although I can't say I agree 100% with the "it is always better to post in an existing thread than to create a new one" statement. Too often I enter a very active thread just to find out that the starting topic has long been abandoned, and another topic is being discussed *ahem*which color bike is faster*ahem*. This makes information on both the starting topic and the eventual topic harder to find for those interested.

This is not as much a problem on this forum as on the OTHER forum, but still...

OldGuy
March 13th, 2009, 11:05 AM
VERY funny. Although I can't say I agree 100% with the "it is always better to post in an existing thread than to create a new one" statement. Too often I enter a very active thread just to find out that the starting topic has long been abandoned, and another topic is being discussed *ahem*which color bike is faster*ahem*. This makes information on both the starting topic and the eventual topic harder to find for those interested.

This is not as much a problem on this forum as on the OTHER forum, but still...

JC I see you haven't been around Uncle Kelly enough yet.

He's that mad Uncle all families have. Yea, the one you wish would stay in his room sometimes when friends come over to visit :rolleyes:. But he is also that Uncle that will always be there for you when you either need someone to talk to or just give you a slap up along the side of your head (ouch - that hurt). :thumbup:

bob706
March 13th, 2009, 12:27 PM
OMFG!:lolsign:

sm0kediver
March 15th, 2009, 03:06 PM
It is a funny video. I saved the link.

But, I am amused by what irritates people on message boards. They get bent out of shape when someone asks a question that has been asked before. Is the goal to answer all the questions, then close the board to new threads?

Welcome - No New Threads Allowed! All the information you need has already been archived! Use our handy search function and shut up!

Maybe someone should just post a service manual, a list of links to aftermarket accessories, and a link to MapQuest. That way no one would have to interact at all.

That would suck :rolleyes:

:outlaw4:

noche_caliente
March 15th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I think it's more the same questions that are asked 10 different times over a two-week span that get annoying - right after you've spent time helping someone find the info you need, and then the exact same question pops up in the exact same forum, where you can still see the previous thread on the page with the new thread.... that's what really annoys me anyway :)

zeroth
March 15th, 2009, 04:31 PM
On the other hand, and on this forum especially, it really amazes me how much the experienced folks (we all know who they are) have patience in welcoming each newbie, answering the same stupid questions, rehashing all the old stuff, linking again and again to their DIYs, etc. Over. and over. and over. and over. It's really quite a lesson in patience, and also a great example of how a forum can be great, not only for new members, but grizzled veterans alike.

OldGuy
March 15th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I then the exact same question pops up in the exact same forum

Or even worse when the question is asked in same thread - did you read any thing above your post? May be time for the search police to resume patrol.:rolleyes:

kkim
March 15th, 2009, 08:10 PM
It's called forum etiquette. There are unwritten rules common to most forums. These were but a few that really make forum life grueling at times that all forums experience and endure.

I was not throwing any hints out to anyone, but thought some humor in lessons that we should all know (newbie and grizzled vets alike) was a good place to start to help make this a more learned place than the average forum.

This site is anything but average and I would like to see it grow to be a closer knit community than it already is. We have a great bunch of forum members and an outstanding admin. We can make this something really special. :thumbup:

OldGuy
March 15th, 2009, 08:31 PM
This site is anything but average and I would like to see it grow to be a closer knit community than it already is. We have a great bunch of forum members and an outstanding admin. We can make this something really special. :thumbup:

Amen Kelly - :thumbup:

Jiu Jitsu Player
March 30th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I'm the ultimate forum violator. I jack threads with reckless abandon. I ask questions that were asked a few posts ago. I repeat myself in different posts in the same thread. I'm glad that everyone on here is super cool and they don't blast me for being a lazy ass. Seriously, this is a pretty awesome forum and I know I can get a ton of good info on here. Hands down the best motorcycle forum online...

Jiu Jitsu Player
March 30th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I'm the ultimate forum violator. I jack th....haha jk. sorry couldn't resist.

Snake
March 30th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I could learn alot from that video. I also have a habit of asking questions before doing a search to see if it has already been asked & answered.

Thanks to everyone for there patients.

M-Oorb
April 15th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I would just like to state something in this thread...maybe soon I'll just make a new one. It is obvious that this forum is growing. As couple months ago we had a small group of people who would regularly contribute...now with the forum growing that group has grown to quite a lot...and this is a good thing:thumbup:. Yet as more people join and buy new bikes...they will of course have similar questions to those that were already asked when other people joined up and were new. This is totally understandable...just because I have learned something from being on this forum for quite some time I do not expect others who have just joined to know this information. Yet saying that...I think if you are somewhat new to this forum and have any type of question about anything (Size tire, LED's and resistors, installing a jet engine on the 250, swapping a zx-14r engine into the 250...ect) the search function should be used first. Its quite easy...right under the little box that says you name and states that you have a bajillion unread posts is a gray bar. Located on this bar is the search key. Simply press that and enter 4 or more words related to the topic you wish to learn about. Then...poof! its all there! Good luck guys(and gals) and I'm so happy this forum is growing and I hope it stays as helpful as its been!:thumbup:

tinng321
April 15th, 2009, 09:08 AM
kkkk
i'm at work and can't open the link.
it says "game" is filter.

kkim
April 15th, 2009, 10:48 AM
kkkk
i'm at work and can't open the link.
it says "game" is filter.

your work computers must have a filter... works for me. :thumbup:

TnNinjaGirl
May 6th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Shouldn't there be something about bumping 90 yr old threads? No wonder your post count is so far up there. ;)

OldGuy
May 6th, 2009, 06:09 PM
You tell him CB :D

kkim
May 10th, 2009, 01:43 AM
:bump:

message is not getting through!!

zartan
May 10th, 2009, 12:49 PM
bumb bump bump!!!! with you k
Posted via Mobile Device

kkim
May 19th, 2009, 09:02 PM
bumb bump bump!!!! with you k
Posted via Mobile Device

thank ye, Z! :)

kkim
June 6th, 2009, 10:36 AM
:bump:

Elfling
June 6th, 2009, 10:46 AM
*shrugs* Welcome to the internet. You're going to get questions asked over and over, even if you have 11ty billion stickies and FAQs. Are you going to deal with newbies for the love of the sport and helping people advance, or are you going to be an elitist and wine about it? I've seen it a million times on a million different forums (hyperbole deliberate for emphasis) and you've just got to learn to let it roll off your back.

Also, especially in the motorcycle world, a *lot* of people are not....computer literate, shall we say. They're new to forums and the internet in general, they're not aware of unwritten rules, they need more help than someone on a gaming or tech forum. Takes a little more patience but everyone has to start somewhere. Am I saying don't post "Here's a link to an FAQ on your question"? No. I am saying that immediately sneering "Use the search function" isn't going to be the most effective way of furthering anyone's interests.

kkim
June 6th, 2009, 10:58 AM
okay... I'll let you answer the same questions that are asked repeatedly.

While we're at it, should we ask Alex to remove the "search" button?

The reason the newbs do it is because they don't know any better. Hopefully this post will help so this forum does not end up like the millions of other unguided forums on the net. The better/smarter newbs will take constructive criticism and learn from it. The ones that don't won't get replies from me.

Elfling
June 6th, 2009, 11:00 AM
okay... I'll let you answer the same questions that are asked repeatedly.

While we're at it, should we ask Alex to remove the "search" button?

The reason the newbs do it is because they don't know any better. Hopefully this post will help so this forum does not end up like the millions of other unguided forums on the net. The better/smarter newbs will take constructive criticism and learn from it. The ones that don't won't get replies from me.

:rolleyes: Overreacting a bit there.

And not replying is all you need to do. The best forums I'm on are self-policed by the members. Someone asks a stupid question, it gets ignored and nobody has to be bothered by it.

kkim
June 6th, 2009, 11:03 AM
... and how hard is it to search before posting a new topic?

over reaction? don't think so. This is the kinda stuff that makes old timers move away from a forum and not want to participate, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Elfling
June 6th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Dude- all I'm saying is don't be a dick. Nobody likes the type of elitist old school members who do nothing but roll their eyes at newbies and tell them to search. That's what *I'm* saying needs to be avoided, or a site becomes nothing but self-gratifying insular postings.

Snake
June 6th, 2009, 11:08 AM
:rolleyes: Overreacting a bit there.

And not replying is all you need to do. The best forums I'm on are self-policed by the members. Someone asks a stupid question, it gets ignored and nobody has to be bothered by it.

I would have to agree with Elfling. The main reason why I joined this forum and continue to be a part of it is because everyone is so friendly and willing to help. I find it so much more pleasant to get a personal response from someone that is willing to help and share than to get a stale answer to my question. Those that wan't to respond will and those that don't just need to ignore it. Lets keep the personal touch going.

Elfling
June 6th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Not that I'm saying anyone here *is* that type of elitist, mind you. The forum hasn't even been around a year as far as I can see- lots more growing to do and there are ALWAYS growing pains. I've been a moderator enough to know ;)

kkim
June 6th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Dude- all I'm saying is don't be a dick. Nobody likes the type of elitist old school members who do nothing but roll their eyes at newbies and tell them to search. That's what *I'm* saying needs to be avoided, or a site becomes nothing but self-gratifying insular postings.

No one's being a dick, but I don't want this forum to end up just like the one I came from either, which is why I posted this and it keeps on getting bumped. Is it too much to expect that users of a forum learn some basic etiquette rules?

I want to see this forum be the exception to the rule without having to endure the same hard lessons other forums have fallen into. Why can't you see that?

BTW, I've seen good moderators and some very bad moderators in my years in other forums.

noche_caliente
June 6th, 2009, 11:42 AM

If you're going to tell one of the most helpful and knowledgeable members of the forum, and the person who is responsible for many of the members being here not to be a dick, you should probably be looking at yourself in the mirror...

Kelly is trying to help folks learn to find the way around the forum - seems like maybe you're the one overreacting a bit...

zartan
June 6th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I think everyone is and should be gentel to the newcomers. I have seen K and Alex and others bend over backwards to answer the same questions over and over.
Now that this forum is larger.
Alex has done a good job and making a comfortable enviroment for us to play in. The Wiki is an awesome addition.
I think it should be addressed time to time- to think before making a new topic.
It is hard weeding through the same subjects over and over. I have over 3000 unread posts right now and just reset the count the other day. I like it here. I think a goofy video to remind folks to try to keep some kind of order is not a bad thing. Saves the mods from moving topics all day long.
I am on this forum because it is not like the others. It has been a great social and educational forum. It is nice to see it stay in some order and not a random mess like others. Thanks Alex for working on that constantly.

How many topics are on, let say :Lowering your bike? how many times am I pm'd on this forum and others (or private emailed) on Lowering your bike. I gently steer them to the forum topics. I don't think reminding people to look around is a bad thing. But I have lost a bit of interest here because there is so much non related things being added as new posts. I only have a limited amount of time each day.
We all have a lot to share. Ignoring is not teaching....
Remember all, to be kind to one another. ok??

Alex
June 6th, 2009, 09:22 PM
My :2cents:? Funny video. Certainly doesn't hurt to remind people from time to time, and perhaps it helps someone who is partially clueful about a better way to get their questions answered. The utterly clueless (of which I would describe none of our members :)) aren't going to be affected in the least by such a video, so no harm done there either.

The things we can do on the forum side is to keep it as organized as we can, make sure that the indexes, stickies, and now especially the wiki continue to be populated with answers to the common questions. If you've just realized you've answered the same question 4 times in the past month and there still isn't a good reference article/post/wiki entry to point someone to, then when the question comes up the 5th time a better use of your time might be to take a stab at that wiki article and then point the person asking the question in that direction. Does anyone have to do this? Nope. Sounds a bit like work, actually. :) But many of us do end up answering the questions because it is a good thing all around for us to share our knowledge of this bike and motorcycling if folks are interested in what we have to say, right? Instead of continually re-inventing the wheel, then it's at least a heck of alot easier to just point people at an already round and shiny wheel that we have sitting right over here. :thumbup:

TrueFaith
June 7th, 2009, 06:33 AM
As far as I'm concerned kkim can keep bumping this thread as much as he wants. For every time he bumps it or tells a new member to search, he probably answers a dozen noob questions in between. I dare say he's probably the most helpful member of any forum I've belonged to and many new riders are indebted to him because of it. His lavish DIYs are some of the best you'll see on any bike forum and the time and effort he invests in them to help new riders is astonishing. Clog up the board with the same old questions that have already been answered and those great DIYs become harder and harder to find amid all the drek.
I came from the same forum he did (at his invitation) because we were both looking for a place that wasn't totally over run with reposts and duplicate threads. We (and a lot of others who ended up here) were pulling our hair out at all the OTD price threads and daily complaints about gas tank noise from noobs who didn't bother searching the already numerous threads on the subject already posted. This site has managed to avoid a lot of the chaos of other boards and I don't think new members who haven't experienced that know how frustrating it can be. So keep bumpin' and wagging that finger at the thoughtless posts Kelly! Sometimes you just gotta save people from themselves to keep a good thing going. :thumbup:

miks
June 7th, 2009, 07:22 AM
...Nobody likes the type of elitist old school members ....

But Kkim is old :D

I love you man!! :thumbup:

zartan
June 7th, 2009, 11:23 AM
The most important part of this tread is to remember to try to keep the forum easy to use and not cluttered. Continuing to "culture" new forum member to search etc... I remember the first time I posted on a fourm I was slammed for not searching. I did search before. But was looking for specific information I could not find. The slammer did not read my entire question.

Here we gently nudge new folks and listen first before letting them know there are several threads on this topic available. A goofy video is not intended to pick on anyone. It needs to be nothing more than a good reminder, even to me.

This is a hella good forum. No hassels needed!! Go out and ride!! or watch racing or something.