View Full Version : Weird road feedback

anacron
September 25th, 2013, 02:12 AM
The road feedback from my bike has been a little unnerving lately. It feels almost as if the rear is sliding on the road surface (the feedback is numb and almost like the tire is gliding through the air). The bike might be pulling left though I can't be sure since roads around Berkeley are not exactly flat.

Most of you may have seen my crash post, so I'm starting to wonder if I might have an alignment issue. I'm also running 30/34 psi and using the highest preload setting. Have any of you noticed similar feedback from your 300 under similar suspension and tire pressure configurations?

cuong-nutz
September 25th, 2013, 03:38 AM
The road feedback from my bike has been a little unnerving lately. It feels almost as if the rear is sliding on the road surface (the feedback is numb and almost like the tire is gliding through the air). The bike might be pulling left though I can't be sure since roads around Berkeley are not exactly flat.

Most of you may have seen my crash post, so I'm starting to wonder if I might have an alignment issue. I'm also running 30/34 psi and using the highest preload setting. Have any of you noticed similar feedback from your 300 under similar suspension and tire pressure configurations?

How much do you weigh? If you weight somewhere in the parks of 170 I would take down to the 3rd notch, if not 2nd notch on the preload. Also maybe deflate your tire pressure to 28/31. Not sure what the recommended settings for your bike is.

Have you checked to see if your forks are aligned and not twisted in the triples?

csmith12
September 25th, 2013, 05:18 AM
^^^^^ spot on "for now". And hmmm.... recent crash aye, I got a $10 spot that says it's all in your head and will work itself out in time. Was it your first crash? Seems the majority of rider's sense of traction is messed with a bit and may feel a bit oversensitive after a down. If the bike checks out, what do you plan to do next?

anacron
September 25th, 2013, 10:29 AM
csmith12

Once the bike checks out I'll play around with psi and preload until I'm comfortable with the road feel again. I'll start with going down 1 notch on preload.
This might be the right time to invest in a fork lift front stand and a rear stand. Are these stands typically universal?

cuong-nutz

I don't have the stands yet to check for twisted forks. Kick stand doesn't seem like an accurate way of testing for fork issues.

tfkrocks
September 25th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Once the bike checks out I'll play around with psi and preload until I'm comfortable with the road feel again. I'll start with going down 1 notch on preload.
This might be the right time to invest in a fork lift front stand and a rear stand. Are these stands typically universal?

Stands are standard. You can adjust the width for your bike. The only thing that might be different is if you get a triple tree stand because you need a bike specific pin.

anacron
September 25th, 2013, 10:53 AM
I'll probably finish up my Woodcraft clip-on install first just in case the issue is a bend left handlebar and then move on to the forks. Like csmith12 said, I've been hyper aware of the handling post crash and all of this may be in my head given that I still haven't experienced a speed wobble or anything that immediately says that the bike is really messed up.

cuong-nutz
September 25th, 2013, 11:05 AM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49448
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=95544
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=103285

Check out these topics for fork alignment.

anacron
September 25th, 2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks!

I think clip-ons are definitely the first thing then. Once the top of the forks are exposed I can do the yardstick test at the top and lower triple tree.

csmith12
September 25th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Stands are standard. You can adjust the width for your bike. The only thing that might be different is if you get a triple tree stand because you need a bike specific pin.

:werd:

I have never seen a non adjustable rear stand that lifts the bike via spools. Same deal with the front stands that go under the forks. Triple tree stands need the specific size pin.

csmith12
September 25th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Also, when I was new to the 250, I was very sensitive to handling. In hindsight, I was a bit oversensitive. Going down, new bike, whatever.... basically anything that makes you doubt trust your in the machine, rider or environment can have your senses on overdrive.

tfkrocks
September 25th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Oh and some stands allow you to switch between rear spool hooks and swingarm paddles. The Pit Bull stands I have are like that. If you get one of those stands, then you'd be covered for whatever bike you will ever have.

anacron
September 25th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Are triple tree stands the ones that lift at the lower triple tree and allow the forks to relax?

tfkrocks
September 25th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Are triple tree stands the ones that lift at the lower triple tree and allow the forks to relax?

Yes. The bike is supported with a pin through the hole in the triple tree. Also called headlift stands or something along those lines. Fork stands hold the bike under the forks.

old3
September 29th, 2013, 08:57 AM
IRC Road Winners? Road feel as bad as fresh squirl shat. If tires are stock, get rid of them.

JohnnyBravo
September 29th, 2013, 12:09 PM
I don't mind my road wieners, but then again I haven't out grown them yet :/

tfkrocks
September 29th, 2013, 12:50 PM
I don't mind my road wieners, but then again I haven't out grown them yet :/

There's no shame in that. They're not wonderful but they'll still do the job for normal street riding. Besides, you're saving money to use for other mods first!

JohnnyBravo
September 29th, 2013, 01:08 PM
There's no shame in that. They're not wonderful but they'll still do the job for normal street riding. Besides, you're saving money to use for other mods first!

Haha no shame in my game. They def aren't the best tires, but they sure have done just fine so far! I wanna do some mods, haven't got to it yet though, still studying an deciding.

anacron
October 8th, 2013, 05:30 PM
IRC Road Winners? Road feel as bad as fresh squirl shat. If tires are stock, get rid of them.

Damn.. I can't believe I missed this post. Yes! the road feel is exactly that bad, as if the tires have a slippery coating on them. Stock IRCs.

Also... no alignment issue with the bike.