View Full Version : Adjusting mirrors..

xTKx
March 13th, 2009, 07:05 AM
It seems like that's the one thing that I just can't get right. I think I'm all set, ride out, then have to adjust at the next red light or stop sign because they're not in the right position. I try to adjust the mirrors while stopped, end up creating an even bigger mess, then repeat at the next stop. It seems like when I adjust my mirrors before a ride I'm all set, but as my driving position slightly changes while riding, they're a little off...

Anyone have any tips, tricks, or suggestions that I should try to get my mirrors in that sweet spot?

islanderman7
March 13th, 2009, 07:19 AM
You're not the only one. I find myself adjusting the mirrors more often than I need too. What I do is to make sure I extend the arms of the mirrors as far out laterally as possible then concave the mirror hinges inward a bit so I can see behind me. I hope this makes sense.

But... its never perfect, so I just squeeze in my shoulder/arm to see behind me. If it really bothers you, look into changing out the mirrors or putting a rear view camera.

Cali619
March 13th, 2009, 08:29 AM
It may just be that your being to critical of what you can view. I used to do that but now as long as I have view of the lane left or right of me its OK. I usually turn my head to look for cars near me before changing a lane anyways and not rely on mirrors so much

xTKx
March 13th, 2009, 12:31 PM
You're not the only one. I find myself adjusting the mirrors more often than I need too. What I do is to make sure I extend the arms of the mirrors as far out laterally as possible then concave the mirror hinges inward a bit so I can see behind me. I hope this makes sense.

But... its never perfect, so I just squeeze in my shoulder/arm to see behind me. If it really bothers you, look into changing out the mirrors or putting a rear view camera.

Yep, it makes perfect sense! :thumbup: I kept on bringing the mirrors forward, then adjusting, then pushing them back and trying to re-adjust. I sat at a stop sign yesterday for a good solid 5 minutes adjusting my mirrors. There was no one behind me, so I just waived traffic on as they came to the intersection ... and after all that time, they still weren't that great. I'll definitely give that suggestion a try though, thanks!

It may just be that your being to critical of what you can view. I used to do that but now as long as I have view of the lane left or right of me its OK. I usually turn my head to look for cars near me before changing a lane anyways and not rely on mirrors so much

I think you've got a point here. Since I also do a final headcheck before switching lanes, I'm more concerned about seeing behind me. I've heard the stories of bikers being rear-ended by drivers not paying attention at stop signs or red lights. <--Right now, that's my biggest concern..

Thanks for your input guys! Any more suggestions please post!

kkim
March 13th, 2009, 12:43 PM
cut off your elbows. works well, but hurts! :D

... or try some of them stick on fish eye mirrors to open up the blind spots.

BlueTyke
March 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM
While first starting out I adjust the mirrors (eventually you will learn how to 'set' them the first time around and leave it at that). Even still I find myself at some points having to shift my elbow in so I can see a bit. Thats fine. While stopped at a light or anything like it... I don't adjust it (unless it reallllly needs it, especially when I was just riding and it was okay) Why? Because I was in a different position. I would rather be able to see out of my mirrors while riding, shifting a little when stopped.

As for the lights and stops... something that might ease your mind...
I would suggest watching them in the mirror. I stay in 1st gear (Clutch in) while stopped (and no one is behind me) just incase someone comes in to hot I can move. I also choose a lane position that would allow me an escape. Lane splitting in MD is illegal but I would rather a ticket if I was caught jumping up a car than being rearended. (So far I haven't had to test any of these techniques.)

If it is a long light and a car safely stops behind me I switch to neutral. Just so I can rest my hands. :)

OldGuy
March 13th, 2009, 01:27 PM
or try some of them stick on fish eye mirrors to open up the blind spots.

I have some of the 2" ones on my '01 but I am trying some rectangular ones on the '09 today. I know I don't like where I put them right now but will put some pictures up when I find the right place.

If nothing else moving around to see behind you gets you used to moving your body and butt on the bike instead of being glued to the place you sat down on. :D

Sailariel
March 14th, 2009, 06:07 PM
I have some of the 2" ones on my '01 but I am trying some rectangular ones on the '09 today. I know I don't like where I put them right now but will put some pictures up when I find the right place.

If nothing else moving around to see behind you gets you used to moving your body and butt on the bike instead of being glued to the place you sat down on. :D

Don, Wal-Mart has round blind spot mirrors available for $2.00 a pair--and they are adjustable by rotating them. Really worth checking out.

TrueFaith
March 15th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Don, Wal-Mart has round blind spot mirrors available for $2.00 a pair--and they are adjustable by rotating them. Really worth checking out.

That's where I got mine and they make quite a difference. :thumbup:

Also, try pushing your mirrors all the way out and then adjust them inward instead of in-to-out. I found that I was constantly not allowing enough space in the mirror for elbow movement while riding. I think most riders do not move the mirrors far enough out to get the best view. When correctly adjusted, the miirrors seem like they are farther out than they should be, but the farther out the better they work.

Angel-be-Good
March 15th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I point mine so that the inside edges of the mirrors look between my elbows and my body, and if I want to see more behind me I can lift my elbows up and away from my body to clear the view.

Nemy
March 15th, 2009, 04:30 PM

Thanks :thumbup: Didn't think to move the arms because they seemed perpendicular already, but I tried it today and I can finally see behind me just by moving to the side a bit. The arms now are facing slightly towards the front, if anyone wants to try that...

g21-30
March 16th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Here's what I did: Put a 2" spot mirror in the upper outermost corner of each mirror.Then adjust each mirror down so you're not looking at each shoulder. I then positioned the bike about 10 feet in front of my Jeep and adjusted each mirror until I could see the center portion (grill) thru each spot mirror. I haven't had to adjust either mirror since that adjustment. Vehicles behind you can now be seen with both mirrors and the spot helps in the blind spots.
YMMV :2cents:

xTKx
March 16th, 2009, 01:12 PM
While first starting out I adjust the mirrors (eventually you will learn how to 'set' them the first time around and leave it at that). Even still I find myself at some points having to shift my elbow in so I can see a bit. Thats fine. While stopped at a light or anything like it... I don't adjust it (unless it reallllly needs it, especially when I was just riding and it was okay) Why? Because I was in a different position. I would rather be able to see out of my mirrors while riding, shifting a little when stopped.

I would suggest watching them in the mirror. I stay in 1st gear (Clutch in) while stopped (and no one is behind me) just incase someone comes in to hot I can move. I also choose a lane position that would allow me an escape. Lane splitting in MD is illegal but I would rather a ticket if I was caught jumping up a car than being rearended. (So far I haven't had to test any of these techniques.)

If it is a long light and a car safely stops behind me I switch to neutral. Just so I can rest my hands. :)

Good advice, I learned all that is the MSF course last summer! ;) I always sit at a light in 1st, always leave an exit. The biggest reason I was concerned is b/c I was riding the country roads out near my house the other day (speed limit about 55) and it seemed like this SUV came out of nowhere and was riding my butt the whole time. When I finally saw him, it was b/c I did a headcheck to swap lanes, not because I saw him in my mirrors :o <--This is the issue that I'm trying to correct...

That's where I got mine and they make quite a difference. :thumbup:

Also, try pushing your mirrors all the way out and then adjust them inward instead of in-to-out. I found that I was constantly not allowing enough space in the mirror for elbow movement while riding. I think most riders do not move the mirrors far enough out to get the best view. When correctly adjusted, the miirrors seem like they are farther out than they should be, but the farther out the better they work.

Def. some good advice. I set some obstacles up in my garage last night and positioned my mirrors this way (by first extending the "arm" all the way). While parked it seemed like it made a huge difference, but I'm riding tomorrow, so I'll be sure to post results.

Here's what I did: Put a 2" spot mirror in the upper outermost corner of each mirror.Then adjust each mirror down so you're not looking at each shoulder. I then positioned the bike about 10 feet in front of my Jeep and adjusted each mirror until I could see the center portion (grill) thru each spot mirror. I haven't had to adjust either mirror since that adjustment. Vehicles behind you can now be seen with both mirrors and the spot helps in the blind spots.
YMMV :2cents:

Awesome suggestion, I'll probably pick some up this weekend!!

Thanks everyone for your input! Be sure to post pics or more suggestions as you come across them!

*Edit: Don, any pics of the mirror locations yet?

xTKx
March 17th, 2009, 12:17 PM
...What I do is to make sure I extend the arms of the mirrors as far out laterally as possible then concave the mirror hinges inward a bit so I can see behind me. I hope this makes sense.

Just wanted to quickly say that I went on my first ride this morning since adjusting my mirrors and it made a HUGE difference! Thanks guys! With just a slight elbow move I could clearly see behind me, and I didn't have to adjust my mirrors at all while stopped!! :D

BlueTyke
March 17th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Yay Tony!! For getting out and finding a solution!

sometimesido
March 17th, 2009, 01:17 PM
This morning I almost got hit by an SUV again so I installed these just now.
Will let you know how this worked.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3635/3362972027_6958e90ca5.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3432/3363790546_a00f00cbdb.jpg

Visus
March 17th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Rear view helmet!
http://www.reevu.com/what_you_see.asp

xTKx
March 17th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Yay Tony!! For getting out and finding a solution!

Woooo hoooo!! :D Thanks Sunny!

This morning I almost got hit by an SUV again so I installed these just now.
Will let you know how this worked.

Awesome pics man, thanks for sharing. Please post results whenever possible! :thumbup:

Rear view helmet!
http://www.reevu.com/what_you_see.asp

LOL! Aahhhhhhh yyeeeeeah! :happy110:

g21-30
March 17th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Chris,

For future reference, mount the spot mirror farther out (see attached pic - blue circle). It will give you a wider view to your side and behind you. In other words, you will see less of "you" and more of what is behind/beside you. Use the lower outside and inside portions of each OEM mirror for more realistic close views.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=18&pictureid=846

What you have is still 100% better than what you had!!! :)

muffinman
March 17th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the tips guys... just ran down to Schuck's and picked up their $3.99 clock and a pair of those 2" blind spot mirrors for $3.99

g21-30
March 17th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the tips guys... just ran down to Schuck's and picked up their $3.99 clock and a pair of those 2" blind spot mirrors for $3.99

Post a pic of your clock! :)

sometimesido
March 17th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Chris,

For future reference, mount the spot mirror farther out (see attached pic - blue circle). It will give you a wider view to your side and behind you. In other words, you will see less of "you" and more of what is behind/beside you. Use the lower outside and inside portions of each OEM mirror for more realistic close views.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=18&pictureid=846

What you have is still 100% better than what you had!!! :)

Hm, I'll try that next time.
I don't know if you can see, but these are not flat. It has adjustable base that's shaped like a wedge and angles outward, but I get what you're saying. While I was riding after I posted that, I noticed I could see cars that are 7 o'clock to 9 o'clock and vice versa for right side. At night, I could see the headlights as little white dots which I couldn't see with factory mirror. All in all, the best $1 I spent.(adjustable ones were on clearance at Wal-mart)

g21-30
March 18th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Good deal at WalMart. I'm familiar with the adjustable spot mirrors. I have installed them on all my cars/trucks for the past 20-30 years! They have saved me many times over by showing what's in my blind spots.

xTKx
March 18th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Man, it didn't take much to convince me...

I'm riding over to Wally world in just a few to pick up some spot mirrors--hopefull some will be on clearance at my local store also! :)

Strider
March 21st, 2009, 04:59 PM
I looked for a set this morning at our local Wally-World , but no dice ... gotta get my friend to check his store in Shelby. Clearance or not, I think I need a pair of these!

g21-30
March 21st, 2009, 05:10 PM
Just about any of the discount auto stores have them as well.

NJD022588
March 21st, 2009, 08:50 PM
Wow I never realized how much those fish eye mirrors helped!

I have to adjust my mirrors every time I get on my bike because my cover moves them. I'm not that picky about position though, probably because if I do ever get it right its going to be wrong the next day anyway.

xTKx
March 23rd, 2009, 07:03 AM
^^LOL!^^ :D

Quick update: haven't been able to install them yet, but I picked up a couple of adjustable spot mirrors and a cheap digital clock last Wednesday. I'll post a pic once they're all on (hopefully tonight).

muffinman
March 23rd, 2009, 11:21 AM
Post a pic of your clock! :)

Here ya go:

For $3, it's not too bad... has a date feature as well.

g21-30
March 23rd, 2009, 11:28 AM
Arthur,

Thanks for the pic. I did what Noche did in this pic: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_DQskVeNT-_s/SXKG6-W5flI/AAAAAAAAAS8/_WOfs26AWQc/s400/IMG_0028.JPG

I used an extra digital Timex Triathlon watch that I had and mounted it on the front (side facing me) of the master cylinder, instead of the top. Later this week I should have my replacement GPS mount from Cycoactive and won't need the watch.

Sailariel
March 23rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Wow I never realized how much those fish eye mirrors helped!

I have to adjust my mirrors every time I get on my bike because my cover moves them. I'm not that picky about position though, probably because if I do ever get it right its going to be wrong the next day anyway.

Nick, The adjustment that usually goes out of whack when you remove the cover is the up down orientation. Take some white nail polish and put a mark on the mirror and the stalk. Before you ride off, you line up the dots.

Strider
March 23rd, 2009, 05:53 PM
Good idea !
I knock mine every time when I take off the cover, wish I had thought of that ...
But glad you did :thumbup:

NJD022588
March 23rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
Arthur,

Thanks for the pic. I did what Noche did in this pic:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_DQskVeNT-_s/SXKG6-W5flI/AAAAAAAAAS8/_WOfs26AWQc/s400/IMG_0028.JPG

I used an extra digital Timex Triathlon watch that I had and mounted it on the front (side facing me) of the master cylinder, instead of the top. Later this week I should have my replacement GPS mount from Cycoactive and won't need the watch.

Thats exactly what I have, even the same brand name of watch.. except the face of my watch is blue. $9 from Walmart and waterproof! :thumbup:

NJD022588
March 23rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
Nick, The adjustment that usually goes out of whack when you remove the cover is the up down orientation. Take some white nail polish and put a mark on the mirror and the stalk. Before you ride off, you line up the dots.

Good idea! Thanks.

I think I've decided that I'm going to pick up some fisheye mirrors after seeing what kind of views the give.

noche_caliente
March 29th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Thats exactly what I have, even the same brand name of watch.. except the face of my watch is blue. $9 from Walmart and waterproof! :thumbup:

pssst - that's your bike ;) just taken at an angle that makes it look red instead of blue :p

g21-30
March 29th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Now that I have the GPS mounted, I took the watch off. Here's a closeup showing the spot mirrors, the GPS, and the sport touring windshield:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=85&pictureid=909

M-Oorb
March 29th, 2009, 02:30 PM
What?! Those little mirrors are amazing. I never really liked the way they looked but jeez do they show you the world behind you...and not you elbows. I'm def. going to wal-mart tonight to pick up a set of these.

py2e
March 29th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I just installed these mirror extenders today. I get a better view but a bit pricey. I'll take it on a real road test as soon as the weather clears up.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2516/704/

kkim
March 29th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I just installed these mirror extenders today. I get a better view but a bit pricey. I'll take it on a real road test as soon as the weather clears up.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2516/704/

I'd be very interested in hearing what you think of them.

py2e
March 31st, 2009, 10:24 AM
I rode with the mirror extenders to work for the past two days. I have to say they improve my rear view alot. I still see some of my elbows, but not as much and I can see a car approaching from the back without tucking my elbows in. I also stick two spot mirrors on the inside (because I see my elbows there anyways...) to further reduce my blind spots.

The extender is make out of metal and it comes in black only. The quality and fit is excellent, and it doesn't cause any additional vibrations. Installation is simple and it took me 15 mins to install. Overall I'm satisfied with the results, however the price is a bit on the steep side.

xTKx
March 31st, 2009, 04:06 PM
Nice post Pete, thanks for the input! :thumbup:

I think I just found my next little mini mod!

KJohnson21
April 1st, 2009, 09:03 PM

Good tactics Sunny! Another step you might add is to pump the brakes on and off a few times when someone is approaching from behind. That way your brake light flashes on and off to catch their attention. I'm pretty sure I've seen it work a few times when the car behind me seemed to be coming too quick at first. Just make sure you're not holding your rear brake with your foot while you pump your front brake with your hand, after all there's only one brake light and if you have either brake on, the brake light is going to stay on solid, not flashing. (Also a good reason to have a brake light flasher.)

xTKx
April 2nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
Good tactics Sunny! Another step you might add is to pump the brakes on and off a few times when someone is approaching from behind. That way your brake light flashes on and off to catch their attention. I'm pretty sure I've seen it work a few times when the car behind me seemed to be coming too quick at first. Just make sure you're not holding your rear brake with your foot while you pump your front brake with your hand, after all there's only one brake light and if you have either brake on, the brake light is going to stay on solid, not flashing. (Also a good reason to have a brake light flasher.)

LOL! I do the same thing (my own personal brake light modulator :D). When approaching a stop light/stop sign I'll normally lightly squeeze my brakes a few times to grab the attention of the driver behind me.
Came in handy last night. Riding on the access road I knew I was coming up on a stop sign to get into my neighborhood so I started to slow down, just as this car came in pretty hot and started tailgating me (I was only doing 5 under in preparation to slow down). I very lightly tapped my brakes about four times before the final stop (making sure the brake lights flashed) ... I think he got the picture. Pretty quickly he backed off and maintained good distance. :thumbup: