View Full Version : Why does my gas cap sing?

corksil
September 27th, 2013, 12:31 PM
It's a very loquacious gas cap. I've been considering singing lessons so I can sing with it -- but it only sings one note and would only serve as a backup vocalist.

It's a pretty high pitched wail.... Kind of like "eeeeEEEEEEEEEEEeeee" like it's lamenting a lost comrade or something of the sort.

I have tried reassuring it, singing back to it (kum-bye-yah and mary-had-a-little-lamb) -- I'm not sure what else to try. Sometimes it sings at stoplights, sometimes it sings when I walk away from the bike and head into a store.. sometimes it sings for no apparent reason in the evenings outside my window long after I've gotten home for the evening.

Also noticed that when it sings -- if I push down on it quite hard, it changes the tone/pitch of it's song.

Not sure if that's air entering or escaping the tank -- but after a long ride at constant unchanged high-rpm the bike sputtered out and died once -- exactly the symptoms of fuel starvation. Which would mean that the cap is not allowing sufficient air to enter the tank -- causing a vacuum, which prevented the gas from siphoning.

Surely someone else has experienced this. What should I try?

allanoue
September 27th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Surely someone else has experienced this.

everyone has

What should I try?

live with it

lgk
September 27th, 2013, 01:02 PM
open the cap after every 400 miles

choneofakind
September 27th, 2013, 01:09 PM
I think it's singing so it can get all the ladies attention.

NevadaWolf
September 27th, 2013, 01:27 PM
And before Alex gets it, i want to share the funny.

Animal control (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27828)

JohnnyBravo
September 27th, 2013, 03:42 PM
They call it puppy love!!!

Maybe you have a cat or other animal trapped in there somewhere