View Full Version : Tire recommendation.

Gregg_VA
September 30th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Now that the weather is cooling down a bit, forums should be coming alive with discussions about tires, oil, and the pros and cons of bacon grease on your riding boots. This post won't disappoint.

I am looking for a new set of tires for my 2011 Ninja. It has the stock tires on it with just over 7,500 miles. Rear is down to the wear bars but the front still looks great. I would like a tire that is a but more durable and capable of longer mileage then that. Ideally, I am looking for at least 10K, if possible, out of a rear. I am not interested in a sticky tire, or a track tire, or even a tire more suited for twistys (although I do ride a lot of those). I want a tire design and compound that can slog out 1,000+ mile days, day after day. I am also interested is stepping up to a 140 vice stock 130 tire width for the extra carrying weight.

Based on most of the comments I have read on here, it seems the preferred tire discussion are centered around track days, twisty roads and a softer compound. I was hoping that someone might have some insight into a tire capable of decent mileage.

TIA,
Gregg

Alex
September 30th, 2013, 07:21 AM
/moved to new-gen tech

Some good info here: http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/New_gen_tire_options

The OEM IRC's aren't particularly sticky, and there are folks on this board with 10k miles on them. But most replacements, as you mention, are aimed at better performance. There is a rider here who swears by his Kendas, getting 15k+ miles out of them, but those are in the 16" pre-gen sizes; I'm not sure if they are offered in the new-gen 17" 110/130 (or 140) sizes.

NevadaWolf
September 30th, 2013, 07:24 AM
Ditto.

The Pirelli Rosso II's I've been running near Kawi's recommended PSI (28/34ish) has given me around 6-7k on the rear and nicely going on 12k for the front. But with the long miles, the heat has produced cracks in all the treads on the front. The first rear I wore down to the cords so i got as much life out of them as i could. The second probably isn't too far away from spilling its guts too.

My tire guy (Brian with Superbike Performance Laboratories in Reno) recommended upping the PSI to 34/38 (don't quote me, I suck at numbers) to squeeze out some more life from the rear. Since i'll be getting new shoes next weekend, I'm going to try following his advice and seeing how long these will last me over the winter.

But, come next season, i'm going to want to start trying for a serious ride at least once a month so having a second set for LD rides vs daily riding around here would be incredibly helpful!

lgk
September 30th, 2013, 07:33 AM
i like kendas

its the only brand name i can shout while passing unsuspecting pedestrians, and get them to jump back. anything else just confuses them.

astricklin
September 30th, 2013, 10:01 AM
I would like a tire that is a but more durable and capable of longer mileage then that. Ideally, I am looking for at least 10K, if possible, out of a rear. I am not interested in a sticky tire, or a track tire, or even a tire more suited for twistys (although I do ride a lot of those). I want a tire design and compound that can slog out 1,000+ mile days, day after day. I am also interested is stepping up to a 140 vice stock 130 tire width for the extra carrying weight.

I have not had any experience outside of the aging gt501s that are on mine, but I have been reading up as I am about to purchase new tires myself. Based on the longevity requirement and the lack of trackday desire, I would say that the consensus seems to be that the bt45s are a good sport touring tire. Now, Michelin has just released (maybe not quite yet in the US) a Pilot Street radial tire in compatible sizes that may be a better choice, but probably a little more expensive.

Gregg_VA
September 30th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Now, Michelin has just released (maybe not quite yet in the US) a Pilot Street radial tire in compatible sizes that may be a better choice, but probably a little more expensive.

That is interesting. I haven't seen that yet but I did just check the Michelin website and it looks like they may be called Pilot Activ. They do come in sizes for a Ninjette.

I have done some more looking based on the info provided and found that Michelin Pilot Road 3s are available in 120/70ZR-17 and 150/70ZR-17. I don't have a problem going to one size wider on the front but two sizes on the back causes me some concern about rubbing. I see that several people are running a 150 on the rear with no rubbing issues. What does everyone think my chances are of running the PR3 in a 150 size on the rear? I run PR3s on my FJR and they are an excellent tire.

Boom King
September 30th, 2013, 11:02 AM
That is interesting. I haven't seen that yet but I did just check the Michelin website and it looks like they may be called Pilot Activ. They do come in sizes for a Ninjette.

I believe the Pilot Activ are now discontinued and have been replaced by the Pilot Street. The Activ are still a well regarded tire nonetheless and you might still find some stock around. Browsing reviews on those indicate that they get good tread life. The Pilot Street are still very new, so no long term reviews yet but the initial feedback from overseas where they have been released since spring are so far positive. Michelin is marketing them as a sport touring radial tire with better tread life than its competitors. If you commute in the rain, they seem to be a good performer as well.

Check out the thread on them here: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=146666

Lychee
September 30th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Kurt, an iron butt rally rider this year, chose metzler scooter tires after doing a coast to coast run of 6,000 miles round trip and having 50% of tread life left on them. However, this is for a pregen with 16 inch rims.

BlownWideOpen
October 3rd, 2013, 10:38 AM
I love the BT45's on my bike, they are an exceptionally good tire. I will probably be getting the same tires for a long, long time.

Gregg_VA
January 8th, 2014, 10:19 AM
I just ordered, and received, two new Pilot Road 3s from Competition Accessories (they were having a sale and 10% off). I went with a 120/70-17 for the front and 150/70-17 for the rear. On my FJR I can get 14K out of a rear (PR3s) and nearly 20K out of the front. Hoping for some serious miles out of these tires. Now if the weather would just warm up so I can mount them. Hopefully soon.

DaBlue1
January 8th, 2014, 01:48 PM
....I just ordered, and received, two new Pilot Road 3s from Competition Accessories (they were having a sale and 10% off). I went with a 120/70-17 for the front and 150/70-17 for the rear.

Be forewarned that a 120 on the Ninja's front rim is a very tight fit. What looks like room under the front fender is actually taken up by the fender bracket. The Michelin Pilot Road 3 is slightly bigger than the BT-45 (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=669635&postcount=7) I have, in every respect. Seen my review?

The 150/70/17 PR3 will be a balloon with a diameter of 81.14 compared to an avg of 77.5 with 130's or 140's. Might work and look better on your FJR.

Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 120/70H/17
Dimensions:
Inflated Width/Measuring Rim Width: 4.80 in./3.50 in.
Inflated Diameter: 23.8 in.
Acceptable Rim Width: 2.75-3.75 in.

Michelin Front Pilot Road 3 120/70ZR-17
Dimensions:
Inflated Width/Measuring Rim Width: 5.16 in./3.5 in.
Inflated Diameter: 24.09 in.
Acceptable Rim Width: 3.5 in.-3.75 in.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21639&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1351535639
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21640&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1351535639

Gregg_VA
January 9th, 2014, 06:53 AM
Be forewarned that a 120 on the Ninja's front rim is a very tight fit. What looks like room under the front fender is actually taken up by the fender bracket. The Michelin Pilot Road 3 is slightly bigger than the BT-45 (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=669635&postcount=7) I have, in every respect. Seen my review?

The 150/70/17 PR3 will be a balloon with a diameter of 81.14 compared to an avg of 77.5 with 130's or 140's. Might work and look better on your FJR.

Thanks for the input Blue. I do hope these work because I have them in hand and I don't think returning them will ever be an option and I have no place else to use them.

DaBlue1
January 9th, 2014, 08:54 AM
...I don't think returning them will ever be an option and I have no place else to use them.

I live pretty close to Competition Accessories, and have been to their store more than a few times. Their return policy is great and the guys there are always very helpful. Whether or not the tires were stocked in their warehouse or shipped from a distributor may make a difference in the return, but for the most part they'll take stuff back as long as it's not damaged. Hope they (tires) work out for you

Gregg_VA
January 15th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Well, I have some info to report... the rest is a goat rope. I got the rear tire (Pilot Road 3 in 15-/70-17) mounted. It was a struggle not because of the increased width but because it was a cold day. It was too cold in my garage and the tire wouldn't flex out of the inner channel no matter what I did. I bounced it around the garage, i put a knee on the top and pushed up and down as I was inflating it and I even tried a strap around the center of the tire. I use Napa RuGlyde as the lubricant. No joy. Success was finally achieved once I put the tire outside and let it set in the sun for a while on the rim. Applied another application of RuGlyde and hit it with air. Two pops within seconds. All was good and it held air with no leaks. Put the tire back on the bike and adjusted the chain and trued the tire. There isn't a lot of clearnance on either side but nothing is rubbing. :thumbup:

Now for the goat rope part. I completely spaced out that I don't have a really good way of getting the front tire off the ground on my Gen-2. No center stand and nothing substancial underneat to get a jack on. I do have a couple of ideas to try with a motorcycle jack that has outrigger arms (think a big crane) for stabilization and I can tie it off with straps to the jack. However, I thought of something else. Has anyone tried to put a long (6 to 8 inces) bolt in the bolt hole that is empty on each side after removing the fender, get the bike in the air and then rest those bolts on car jack stands? See pic. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lenentine/11967721876/

Gregg_VA
January 15th, 2014, 10:53 AM
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos?tab=Xq#photos/107368204438934633792/albums/5969180827416526369/5969180831378195762?pid=5969180831378195762&oid=107368204438934633792

Gregg_VA
January 15th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Is my pic posting? I can't tell.

NevadaWolf
January 15th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Not on my screen... Is logging into Google+ needed?

csmith12
January 15th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Is my pic posting? I can't tell.

I am logged into google+ and I see a broken image. I copied the image url and pasted it directly into a new browser and received the following message.

"You do not have permission to view this album."

Gregg_VA
January 15th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Criminey, I give up. You shouldn't have to log into Google+. I purposely marked the pic as "public". What about the first message? That pic was coming from Flickr. Did it show up?

Gregg_VA
January 15th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Ok.... trying again.

csmith12
January 15th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Got a ladder?

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z333/CoreyBAbbott/Ninja/IMG_20120324_131634.jpg

csmith12
January 15th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Oh, your image works now. :thumbup:

Gregg_VA
January 15th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Yes I do have a ladder. I also have one of those Gorilla Ladders (?) as well. I think I see where you are going with this but is the latter strong enough to support the front end hanging from it?

Chris, I can't see your image. I assume it shows a bike hanging/supported by a ladder. Photobucket is blocked at work. I will check it when I get home.

NevadaWolf
January 15th, 2014, 12:24 PM
Photobucket bypass...

csmith12
January 15th, 2014, 12:31 PM
It will hold it, even if you have nothing supporting the front. Would I try to support the entire bike's weight? No, one end? Yep...

Gregg_VA
January 16th, 2014, 03:55 AM
Teri: Thanks for the PB bypass.

Chris: That certainly looks like a great idea. I will give that a try.

NevadaWolf
January 17th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Gregg, can you post a pic of the clearance on the PR 3 rear? My tire guys are recommending it but I have a Honda CBR250 chain guard/tire hugger and wondering on clearance.