View Full Version : 2013 Ninja 300 - 5,500 Mile Update / Review

vman1313
September 30th, 2013, 05:17 PM
I wrote this for some non-Ninjetters and decided to post it up here. Also in case anyone is still wondering or having doubts about the 300.

I bought my 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 BRAND NEW in March and I have put now over 5,500 miles on her. Before I give my opinions and findings of the bike, I will preface with the fact that I have owned a 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250 and a 2002 Suzuki Hayabusa 1300. Yes, I have owned the extremes! I know what power is, I know what NO power is...hahahaha! Having said that, here we go...

PROS & WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THE 300:::
1. POWER & MPG: The 300 makes all the power you truly need. It pulls thru all the gears with ease. It can coast at 80MPH on the interstate with power to spare. AND it can do all that hitting 55-70MPG. When I ride on the interstate I get 55MPG - when I get around 69MPG. I have traveled 375 miles in one day thru the Blue Ridge Parkway and other twisty roads on the 300 with a passenger and had no problems.
2. LOOKS: The 300 is all the time mistook for the new 636 or larger bike but more importantly I love the sexiness and lines of the bike. Its my bike so I am the one that has to be happy with it, AND I AM!
3. FUEL INJECTION & SLIPPER CLUTCH: Choke SUCKS!! Plain and simple!! It sucks to have to let a bike warm up with just enough clutch and then sometimes it is miles before it truly warms up. Fuel Injection is just nice to push button and boom, bike is on. The silky smooth throttle is also super nice on the 300. Lastly, the clutch is awesome. Very smooth and forgiving if you downshift too low of a gear.
4. WEIGHT & AGILITY: This is THE MAIN REASON I looked at the 300 and I have not been dissapointed.

CONS & WHAT I DONT LIKE ABOUT THE BIKE:
These are so miniscule, I hardly think they are worth mentioning but I will anyway.
1. SEAT: Sucks! Its hard and uncomfortable. I took out the foam and put in a tempurpedic pillow in its place and it is a million times better but not perfect yet.
2. EXHAUST PLACEMENT: Once a ride I find myself with my heel of my shoe on the exhaust heat shield. Not sure what happened here, maybe the guy in charge of this had a size 4 shoe size or something. HAHAHA!
3. WINDSCREEN: Many people change these anyway, but my complain is more the floating windscreen. I am sure it serves a purpose but it also cause dirt and grime to build up behind it and of course it is hard to clean. I finally painted the inside of the windscreen to give the black out look and I LOVE IT!! (I thought the clear windscreen hideous.)

Bottomline, the BUSA with its 1300cc engine had power beyond your wildest dreams. It was also a great touring bike but it was too heavy and not nimble at all. The 250 is a great commuter bike but sucky power and outdated looks and ancient technology just kept it from being perfect for me. The 300 is the best of all worlds in my book. Good power, great MPG, light, nimble, good looking, and up-to-date in almost every sense of the word.

Obviously the above statements are my personal opinion and my findings. I hope they help someone who is looking into buying a 300. I know not everyone will agree with my assessment but thats ok. Different people and opinions is what makes the world go round and round.

Ride safe, ride smart, have fun!!

JohnnyBravo
September 30th, 2013, 05:33 PM
I ain't got 5000 miles, but I'd say the 300 is perfect for me. Great write up :thumbup:

I have yet to find a road where I should be going faster than the 300 would go.

superflytako
September 30th, 2013, 09:27 PM
I'm almost at 5k miles and its my first bike, gotta say it has treated me well so far and is always a blast :)

Alkeplar
October 5th, 2013, 11:20 AM
I'm coming up on 6000 miles after 2.5 months and the bike has given me nothing but love and a great time! :)

vman1313
October 6th, 2013, 11:46 AM
I'm coming up on 6000 miles after 2.5 months and the bike has given me nothing but love and a great time! :)

:thumbup:

vman1313
October 6th, 2013, 11:47 AM
I'm almost at 5k miles and its my first bike, gotta say it has treated me well so far and is always a blast :)

:thumbup:

Tigerpaw
October 8th, 2013, 01:59 AM
Well said.

eddiekay
November 1st, 2013, 05:58 PM
I dont know anything about aerodynamics but The floating windscreen eliminates the tendency of a screen to suck you towards it. Dont know if the screen draws you in or if it creates some kind of pressure from behind but I dunno...the stock screen is pretty small so it's kind of a good idea that's totally unnecessary IMHO.
I had a barn door sized shield on my FZ6 and rode a Gold wing with a giant screen and...yeah...they draw you forward.

Floki
November 1st, 2013, 07:13 PM
What did you use on your windscreen? That looks like a good alternative to buying a dark smoke