View Full Version : Issue with headlight

RKade15
October 1st, 2013, 03:28 PM
I apologize in advance, I'm about as new to motorcycles as you can be. I just started the graduated licensing system [in Canada], took a safety course, and bought my first bike -a used 2009 Ninja 250r (Special Edition).

The bike is in relatively great shape with low milage - there are some scuffs from the original owner dropping it on their first ride, but no damage beyond cosmetics.

Between first looking at the bike, and buying it last week, the idle headlight bulb stopped working (the left one, in my case). Now, the highbeam light works fine, when I flip the switch to turn them on the right light goes, but only that light. When I went to replace it I noticed that the bulb actually flickers on for a fraction of a second when the engine is turned on.

Naturally, I flipped the bulbs to see if it was an issue with them, or an electrical issue, and unfortunately the good bulb did the exact same thing - The idle light will flicker when the engine turns on, but won't light up otherwise. The lighting system uses H7 bulbs, and what I believe is an HID kit (Forgive me if I'm not getting that exactly right, I'm super new at this / any vehicle mechanic work and I don't know how to 'most properly' identify pieces).

Basically, is there is anything in particular I should try? I would consider checking the fuses, but if a fuse was blown then it wouldn't even flicker, would it? Plus, I would rather not pull apart more of the bike if I don't have to. Would my best bet just getting someone who knows a bit more about electrical system to take a look at it?

Motofool
October 1st, 2013, 05:57 PM
Welcome to our site, Rob !!!

Congratulations on the course and bike.

I am not familiar with your model, but someone will help you soon.

What makes you believe that your bike has a HID kit?
Is the light intense and white-blue?

RKade15
October 2nd, 2013, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the quick reply and warm welcome!

I think it has an HID kit because the whole lighting set-up looks like HID kits I can find on the internet. I'll take some pictures when I come home from work if I have time, but basically each light runs (with two wires) into a connector, then into a small black box (which is attached to the front case of the bike), which runs to a slightly larger silver box, and then into a bundle of wires which seems to go through the bike. If you google image search H7 HID kit, that's basically what I'm looking at.

And yes, it's a bright bluish light. The bulbs are definitely H7s, it's stamped into the back of them.

Cheers.

RKade15
October 2nd, 2013, 04:05 PM
Update!

It's definitely the HID kit, I did some more playing with the wiring and nothing is wrong with the bike - it's all the custom lighting system.

At this point I don't think there's any actual motorcycle problems,

The only other question I have - for when I replace this thing - what wattage HID kit will work better for my motorcycle? I understand these things come in a couple different varieties and I don't want to get something too powerful / weak for my bike.

DaBlue1
October 2nd, 2013, 04:30 PM
First make sure your battery terminals are completely tight and your idle speed is set to about 1300-1400 rpms when fully warmed.

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Battery

Bob2010
October 2nd, 2013, 04:55 PM
First make sure your battery terminals are completely tight and your idle speed is set to about 1300-1400 rpms when fully warmed.

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Battery

curious why such a low idle? I prefer it almost at 2500-3k when fully warmed up.

EDIT searched and maybe Im the odd-ball or my CDI reads higher when warm

Asspire
October 2nd, 2013, 06:18 PM
1. remove his kit and throw on ground
2. go office space on said his kit and burn after
3. buy a Phillips motovision ( xtremepower is what they're called now I think?) and install in LOW BEAM SIDE.

4. enjoys that fact that you're not blinding oncoming traffic and all the light hit the road in FRONT of you.

5. ????

6. profit!

7. buy a R6

DaBlue1
October 3rd, 2013, 05:03 AM
curious why such a low idle? I prefer it almost at 2500-3k when fully warmed up.

EDIT searched and maybe Im the odd-ball or my CDI reads higher when warm

That's pretty high if it's that far off at idle. A few hundred rpms too high seems more common. Usually if the bike idles that high, you will get a good clunk in the tranny when shifting from neutral to 1st.

dfox
October 3rd, 2013, 05:40 AM
I have to agree with Asspire

it sounds like you have an HID kit. I won't get all technical about how the metal halide bulbs you have work, but ultimately the ballasts that powers the bulbs need quite a bit of power on start-up. Our bike wasn't ever designed with this in mind, so some of the HID kits (particularly the cheap ones) will have an issue during start-up and will do what you state, flicker but not turn on.

There are work-arounds to give the ballast enough power for start-up, but it won't solve another major issue with using the HID setup on your bike.

our headlights are designed as a "reflector" type light. The light emitted by the bulb filament reflects off of lots of shiny flat surfaces. By changing bulb type, now the location that the light is emitted from changes, and thus, the direction that the light reflects off of the flat surfaces changes. This can result in blinding oncoming traffic, which obviously isn't a good idea, it's hard enough for us motorcycles to be seen. The HID kit is likely illegal in Canada, it is here in the US, although people install them all the time.

I'd recommend removing the system, and going back with the proper stock bulb. Chances are, as a new rider, you're not driving much, or at all, in the dark. Wait until that time, and if you need to upgrade, places like bkmoto, theretrofitsource, lightwerkz, etc. sell projector kits that work with the HID kits to prevent blinding oncoming traffic, although they're still not legal.

RKade15
October 4th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Update on the situation:

So I'm going to reinstall a stock bulb... as suggested. The kit itself is 100% shot, I flipped the two HID kits around - and I can now with certainty say they are HID kits - and one of them always works, the other never works (except that flicker, so maybe something isn't quite right with the Ballast - not even going to try and deal with it).

I've run into another, more easily solved, issue: when the owner who put this kit in was installing it, to keep the bulbs secure he just drilled out the old adapters and jammed his new bulb through it (so that little latch will still catch).

Which means I get to have fun finding a replacement part. There's a Kawasaki dealer nearby so hopefully they have it / can get it in.

For the time being I'm going to leave the other HID kit in. I won't be doing much night driving, and when I do have to use high beam, why not have that extra boost in light? Besides, I can just switch it off if other drivers are coming.... that shouldn't cause any electrical / power issues right?

Here's a picture of what I'm dealing with:

http://i.imgur.com/BDKu39wl.jpg