View Full Version : Chain Adjustment

reabo
October 2nd, 2013, 04:27 AM
I think my chain needs adjusting. If I don't do it is the bike or me in any danger?

csmith12
October 2nd, 2013, 04:56 AM
Depends on how far out of adjustment it is. If it's just a little loose, no big deal really but it's better to be too loose than too tight.

You basically want to make sure you service (adjust/clean/lube/replace) your chain as much as needed to keep it attached to the bike. BAAAAADDDDD stuff can happen if your chain comes off.

You know how to adjust it to spec?

reabo
October 2nd, 2013, 04:59 AM
Depends on how far out of adjustment it is. If it's just a little loose, no big deal really but it's better to be too loose than too tight.

You basically want to make sure you service (adjust/clean/lube/replace) your change as much as needed to keep it attached to the bike. BAAAAADDDDD stuff can happen if your chain comes off.

You know how to adjust it to spec?

I just watched a youtube video on adjusting the chain then. Seems do able. Slack should be between 0.8 and 1.2 inchs aprantly. Hopefully try this tonight.

Ive noticed that when i slow down the bike makes weird sounds. I assume its the chain being to slack. :/

tfkrocks
October 2nd, 2013, 05:04 AM
You really don't want the chain to fly off the sprockets because it's too loose. Remember that the chain on the sprockets is what keeps the bike moving... If you hear the chain slapping the swingarm and possibly grinding noises, that is way too loose. As long as you have the tools, adjusting the chain isn't too bad. It's easy after the first couple of times.

csmith12
October 2nd, 2013, 05:07 AM
You can do it mang. :thumbup: It's part of bike ownership. Chain, tires, oil, chain, tires, oil, chain, tires, oil. lol

reabo
October 2nd, 2013, 05:09 AM
You really don't want the chain to fly off the sprockets because it's too loose. Remember that the chain on the sprockets is what keeps the bike moving... If you hear the chain slapping the swingarm and possibly grinding noises, that is way too loose. As long as you have the tools, adjusting the chain isn't too bad. It's easy after the first couple of times.

Kind of scared to ride home now :/ I just ran down to take a look at the chain its slack. dips about 0.5 inchs if it were straight.

How does a chain become slack? Surely the chain doesnt stretch?

tfkrocks
October 2nd, 2013, 05:11 AM
Kind of scared to ride home now :/ I just ran down to take a look at the chain its slack. dips about 0.5 inchs if it were straight.

How does a chain become slack? Surely the chain doesnt stretch?

Pull it by the rear sprocket. You'll see if it's loose enough where it'll fly off. I've managed with a really bad swinging chain for a bit before and survived lol :rolleyes:

Chains stretch as they wear out. Adjusting the chain is simply pulling the rear wheel back to take up the slack. Tight spots in the chain are where the chain hasn't stretched out.

reabo
October 2nd, 2013, 05:12 AM
Thxs for the replies guys. I'll have a smash tonight. hopfully all goes well :0

reabo
October 2nd, 2013, 10:38 AM
Big problem guys. that wierd sound is the chain rubbing agaiasnt the stand of the bike :/

I tried to do the ajustment my self but no luck. I took the holding pin out but the big bolt that goes acroos will not get loose? Which way do i turn pull up toward me or push down?

csmith12
October 2nd, 2013, 10:56 AM
You took the pin out of the rear axle. Loose a few turns should do the trick. You may need a 17mm to hold the other side as you turn or the whole thing just spins. Lefty loosey, righty tighty is the way to turn it.

If you chain is loose enough to hit the side stand, it just may be time for a new one. How many miles you think is on it?

reabo
October 2nd, 2013, 11:02 AM
ive put my whole body weight on it, up and down no luck. im just going to take it to the garage tomorrow, so annoyed :P

May 9k mile with that chain?

lgk
October 2nd, 2013, 11:12 AM
how long was your breaker???

you'll need quite a bit of leverage for this

reabo
October 3rd, 2013, 03:10 AM
how long was your breaker???

you'll need quite a bit of leverage for this

Whats a breaker (sorry really am new to this)

Anyhow guys. I brought it to the garage! They said i need a new chain and sproket... how much is it for that?

He said £120 surly not!!

csmith12
October 3rd, 2013, 04:48 AM
Note the length of the handle compared to your normal hand tools. The longer the handle, the more force that can be applied. They are commonly made on the spot by whatever is handy such as, sliding a pipe over your hand tool to make the handle longer.

http://toolmonger.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/titan%20bar.jpg

And if my conversion math is correct, that sounds about right for a chain and sprocket, although you could spend much more if you wanted. AND if that includes labor to install it, then jump on it. Finally, if you need one sprocket, better check the other as well.

Cheers!

reabo
October 3rd, 2013, 04:50 AM
thxs dude you have been great. I made another thread about brands and how much. could you take alook at that? You seem to know what your talking about :0

Kokosun
October 3rd, 2013, 05:32 AM
They said i need a new chain and sproket... how much is it for that?

He said £120 surly not!!

£120 for a new chain, sprocket and labour is reasonable - assuming that it's a decent chain and sprocket.

I just checked the member map, and saw that you're up near Manchester. I saw only one other person that's near you (@Tom-hutch), but he's in Liverpool, so I don't think that he'd be able to recommend a good garage. Try ninjauk.com, there might be somebody there that can recommend a good (local) garage.

reabo
October 3rd, 2013, 05:37 AM
I live in manchester city centre :)

Good to hear 120 is a good price though. It just seemed steep too me.

lgk
October 3rd, 2013, 06:28 AM
its a good deal if they use did chains for the install.