View Full Version : Odd sound after chain tightened

JohnnyBravo
October 3rd, 2013, 11:23 AM
Weird weird weird, but my bike and Ryan's did the same thing. What's the sound and why does it happen? Sounds like tire noise, brakes draggin, or some silly growl. Kinda anerves me, but alls I can do is ride on... Discuss

beazy411
October 3rd, 2013, 11:29 AM
Double check to make sure that your rear axel is aligned properley and that you didn't take out too much slack.

jkv45
October 3rd, 2013, 11:41 AM
Chances are the chain is too tight.

Did you locate the tightest spot before setting the slack? If not, it will end-up being too tight at some point.

This is a good how-to - http://www.canyonchasers.com/video/chain.php

alex.s
October 3rd, 2013, 11:47 AM
the chain is stretched unevenly and has stuck links. loosen before riding otherwise you'll destroy your output spline bearing. you'll want to replace the chain (you notice it gets tighter and looser as you roll it) check the sprockets too. if they are rounded at all replace them too

the chain should not be unevenly stretched. don't simply tighten it to the loosest spot. replace the damaged part.

Boom King
October 3rd, 2013, 12:11 PM
Discuss

http://funnypicturesplus.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/i-see-what-you-did-there-baby-meme.jpg

Boom King
October 3rd, 2013, 12:39 PM
Also, depending on the bike, some of the slack might get taken up when you sit on the bike and compress the suspension. I have no idea what that looks like on the 300 but I always tend to go a bit looser on the adjustment than tighter.

JohnnyBravo
October 3rd, 2013, 12:41 PM
Double check to make sure that your rear axel is aligned properley and that you didn't take out too much slack.

Check... It's good

Chances are the chain is too tight.

Did you locate the tightest spot before setting the slack? If not, it will end-up being too tight at some point.
This is a good how-to - http://www.canyonchasers.com/video/chain.php

Um no... I took it to a shop and they did whatever they do, I don't have no fancy motorcycle fixing stuff like stands yet :/

the chain is stretched unevenly and has stuck links. loosen before riding otherwise you'll destroy your output spline bearing. you'll want to replace the chain (you notice it gets tighter and looser as you roll it) check the sprockets too. if they are rounded at all replace them too

the chain should not be unevenly stretched. don't simply tighten it to the loosest spot. replace the damaged part.

Huh? How'd I do this chain messing up stuff in 1k miles? Ima go study on chains right quick so I can Barney style this whole chain and such :/ wonder if my dads home, he speaks motorcycles how I speak diesels

alex.s
October 3rd, 2013, 02:05 PM
posibilities:

1) cheap volar chain
2) never cleaned/lubed
3) its a rivet masterlink that was put on wrong
4) you pour acidy salty sandy garbage water on your chain

JohnnyBravo
October 3rd, 2013, 03:24 PM
posibilities:

1) cheap volar chain
2) never cleaned/lubed
3) its a rivet masterlink that was put on wrong
4) you pour acidy salty sandy garbage water on your chain

Answers :(
1)Stock chain :/
2)Once :/
3)Possible
4) like the kind around all the Florida beachs an such?

So How bad is this for my bike? Sadly I haven't been the best at chain maintenance. Yea my chain did look awful poor an rusty when I threw the wd40 to it with the jerky jerk motion with a rag. Ill do better next chain I promise. What's a good chain for the 300

jkv45
October 3rd, 2013, 06:50 PM
Check... It's good

Um no... I took it to a shop and they did whatever they do, I don't have no fancy motorcycle fixing stuff like stands yet :/

So you checked the tension in at least 4 different spots and it's fine everywhere?

What brand is the chain?

Taking it to a shop doesn't guarantee anything is done properly - they commonly screw up stuff like oil changes and simple maintenance.

JohnnyBravo
October 3rd, 2013, 06:58 PM
So you checked the tension in at least 4 different spots and it's fine everywhere?

What brand is the chain?

Taking it to a shop doesn't guarantee anything is done properly - they commonly screw up stuff like oil changes and simple maintenance.

Sir no sir... I could roll it back and forth an poke at the chain, but I really have no Experience with chains, had a full day sitting around doctors waiting rooms, so have to roll it around and poke it tomorrow. Working on the diesels if we bust open the part where the chain sits we replace it, or we never woulda opened it up... So chains really aren't my thing. Ill be watching some more you tubes and do some sorting tomorrow!

Brand o chain??? Mmmmmmm stock, I doubt that's a brand though... Guess I'd will look it up.

JohnnyBravo
October 3rd, 2013, 09:02 PM
I hope I can just adjust my chain an be good... Fingers crossed

JohnnyBravo
October 4th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Oooooooh rear tire was off a slight bit, sprocket and chain seemed to be rubin pretty good, didn't seem to eat each other up to bad yet... Bout to work at it a minute and hope the crisis is avoided, ill be getting a new chain soon though, and have to study on some chain lubes, I hate how they cake my chain an rear parts up, but I guess I'd have a better lookin chain at cleaning time

beazy411
October 4th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Don't forget to clean the chain off before re-lubeing it. That will help with the build up.

berserk81
October 4th, 2013, 11:56 AM
With the noise you are describing and seeing as how you have checked and rechecked things that others are talking about. Have you checked your bearings to make sure they are not to worn out?

JohnnyBravo
October 4th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Don't forget to clean the chain off before re-lubeing it. That will help with the build up.

How's your bike coming along?
I'm tryin to get better about cleaning an lube the chain, that gunky stuff just looks awful though, looks like a skeeter had fun with my chain :(

berserk81 I sure hope I didn't mess nothing up just yet!!! Haven't got around to the test ride after workin though

Boom King
October 6th, 2013, 04:34 PM
I'm tryin to get better about cleaning an lube the chain, that gunky stuff just looks awful though, looks like a skeeter had fun with my chain :(

What kind of lube are you using? Keep the KY in the bedroom :p. I kid, I kid. Try Dupont dry lube on your chain if you haven't already. It attracts less gunk than the other brands.

beazy411
October 6th, 2013, 06:16 PM

berserk81 I sure hope I didn't mess nothing up just yet!!! Haven't got around to the test ride after workin though

I liked the Bel-Ray super lube, but it leaves a white wax on the chain that some people may not like. I just switched to something new so no idea on the new wax yet. The manual says every 400mi but if your bike sits outside like mine in a humid environment you may want to clean it a bit more often. As far as my bike, I have some electrical issues to fix and fitment issues too but those are all self inflicted. Hope you get your bike back in tip top shape soon.

JohnnyBravo
October 7th, 2013, 11:44 AM
What kind of lube are you using? Keep the KY in the bedroom :p. I kid, I kid. Try Dupont dry lube on your chain if you haven't already. It attracts less gunk than the other brands.
Wet platinum:thumbup: I used champion, liquid wrench, and some other stuff didn't really like any of them, and my bike used to be an outdoor bike, so my chain looks gross
Looking for a DuPont dry source, I hate the white greasy film or whatever most chain lubes leave :(
I liked the Bel-Ray super lube, but it leaves a white wax on the chain that some people may not like. I just switched to something new so no idea on the new wax yet. The manual says every 400mi but if your bike sits outside like mine in a humid environment you may want to clean it a bit more often. As far as my bike, I have some electrical issues to fix and fitment issues too but those are all self inflicted. Hope you get your bike back in tip top shape soon.

Yea I found a post on here with a measuring thingy, an some info. My sprockets were out of line,(maybe cause the mark moved slightly, your think they would not be moveable) so I got rid of that noise, my dad said I do have funky spots in my chain an shoulda took better care of it, but said if I take good care of it now on it should last a while still.
Fitament issues and stuff happen when your building a bad bike! Get it back up an worked out maaaan :thumbup: