View Full Version : Minor Leak: Lower radiator hose

Alkeplar
October 3rd, 2013, 10:10 PM
So I a few days ago I noticed the slight smell of coolant while riding in some hot weather. I couldn't pinpoint it, until tonight. Turns out I have a very minor leak in the lower radiator hose at both sides of the hose (Class 1 leak by military standards). I know these little motors get hot, as did the 250's, but is this something I need to worry my head over? I'm thinking I should just keep my eye on it. I ride in AZ so it gets hot and not unusual for cars to have similar issues, but this bike is my baby and I would rather caution on the side of error. So again, I ask: is this something I should try to resolve, or is this something that is bound to happen in hotter weather and just keep my eye on it?

JohnnyBravo
October 3rd, 2013, 11:24 PM
I would keep my eye on it, an keep a check on the coolant, but when ya have your fairings off see if you can tighten the clamps an get it to stop. It's not class 2 so you know most mechanics would blow you off unless they were anal.

Maybe that's where my coolant smell is coming from, wasn't to strong, and didn't see no drips... Thanks I gota check mine out

Alkeplar
October 4th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Well I have a daily commute of about 20+ miles one direction, mostly freeway if I take the shortest route. I decided to take the city route making it a little longer, when I parked the bike I left it running for a moment and checked the hose, and the clamp connection on the radiator was a little more moist. I am going to take the time to tighten the hose clamps when I get home tonight, If the issues continue I might consider replacing the hose. The bike has about 800 miles until the 6000 mile marker and I was planning on doing a coolant flush anyway.

Johny, did you have the chance to check your bike?

csmith12
October 4th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Welcome Aaron!

Absolutely nothing wrong with putting in the work to maintain your bike. After all, it is "your baby" right? Where most people go wrong is fixing stuff that is not truly broken. Can you ride it... sure, if you keep the coolant filled. But, all it does is make a cheap/easy fix more expensive by putting it off. And for what? 30 mins of your time?

Motofool
October 4th, 2013, 08:45 AM
So I a few days ago I noticed the slight smell of coolant while riding in some hot weather. I couldn't pinpoint it, until tonight. Turns out I have a very minor leak in the lower radiator hose at both sides of the hose (Class 1 leak by military standards). I know these little motors get hot, as did the 250's, but is this something I need to worry my head over? I'm thinking I should just keep my eye on it. I ride in AZ so it gets hot and not unusual for cars to have similar issues, but this bike is my baby and I would rather caution on the side of error. So again, I ask: is this something I should try to resolve, or is this something that is bound to happen in hotter weather and just keep my eye on it?

Welcome to our site, Aaron !!!

That is not normal and is important to correct.
Try to pin point the origin of the leak, because if it comes from a cracked hose, that will need immediate replacement.
A catastrophic failure of that hose will burn your leg very badly.

If the problem is the clamp, then it will be an easy fix (tightening or replacing the clamp).

Alkeplar
October 4th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Thank you guys for the welcome! I forgot to post an introduction in the new members section, and will do so sometime today. :) Again thank you, for the feedback as well. I hope I'm not just a leach here, but instead can offer some usable insight to some users, but at the very least some comical back and forths with some of you folks :cool:

JohnnyBravo
October 4th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Johny, did you have the chance to check your bike?
Yup... Tightened a clamp and about to start in on the chain where my rear was cocked slightly to the side, hopefully that will fix my growl and the chain an sprockets tryin to eat each other:thumbup:
After that its a test ride to ensure function:thumbup:

Alkeplar
October 8th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Tightened it up and took it for a very hard run up and down the mountain here with a few buddies. No more smell, no more leak :) I guess that is what living on a dirt road does for you.

Motofool
October 8th, 2013, 02:41 PM
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

JohnnyBravo
October 8th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Tightened it up and took it for a very hard run up and down the mountain here with a few buddies. No more smell, no more leak :) I guess that is what living on a dirt road does for you.

I tightened mine, an got my chain fixed, no more smell, no more funky sound :thumbup: I hope they use Japanese clamps, I have all sorts of problems with the Chinese ones :/ durn things love to back up an come loose all the time

NinjaCowgirl
October 8th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Hi Aaron - welcome. Glad you fixed this. I had a similar problem with my 2012 that I didn't know I had until I went to get my new brake/clutch levers put on. Asked my mechanic to do a good once through on my bike since I had just hit 6K in about 18 months. He pulled off my farings to find coolant droplets all over. (not enough to actually leak out on the ground) but, it turns out the hose was indeed cracked and clamps had been overtightened. Mechanic said he'd never seen a problem like this on a new Ninja. We're good now, but it was a weird problem for a brand new bike. Maybe somebody had a bad day in the Kawasaki factory and took it out on my bike. Anyway - glad you're all better now. Enjoy your rides.

csmith12
October 8th, 2013, 07:09 PM
I guess that is what living on a dirt road does for you.

The dirt road is fine :thumbup: It's the vibration on flexible materials is the problem.