View Full Version : To all people who have another bike (non 250)

Apex
March 15th, 2009, 09:13 AM
What is the make of the bike?

I find myself to be a loyal follower to whatever brand I currently own. My old bike was a Suzuki GS500. I found myself favoring the GSXR's more than any other make. I ended up with a Kawasaki because I wanted a cheap ride, and GS500's are hard to find, but there were a ton of 250F's. So I picked up the kawasaki.

Now I find myself looking in the Kawasaki line for possible next bike choices. All of you who have a 2nd bike, is it a Kawasaki, or did you go elsewhere?

djpharoah
March 15th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I'm seriously considering my next bike to be a Kawasaki - maybe an older gen ZX-6R from like 1998-2001.

Angel-be-Good
March 15th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I've only got the one bike, but if I were to get a second it wouldn't be another Kwak. The KLX 250SF, Versys and ZX-6 appeal to me, but I'd rather a DR-Z400 SM, GS800 or CBR600RR.

...But even more, I want a Street Triple.

sm0kediver
March 15th, 2009, 11:35 AM
My other bike is a Suzuki DR200. It does what the Ninja can't, and vice versa. Any of the big four Japanese makers deliver a quality product, large dealer network, and easy to find parts. I've owned three Kawasakis, and one Suzuki, and they were all good bikes. Honda is rumored to have the highest quality, but I doubt it. They do appear to have the highest prices though.

Custom Seat Creations
March 15th, 2009, 11:38 AM
My other bike is a Honda CBR 600 F4i. Fuel injection is a dream!

zeroth
March 15th, 2009, 11:52 AM
The 250 is my first/only bike, but if I get another ... it's possible I'll get a scoot like the Honda Relfex or Honda Silver Wing. Yes yes let the flames ensue! No I have a good reason. My wife used to ride a scooter (50cc) back in India, and she would like to ride, but is afraid of manual transmission (on cars also). So that would be something we could both ride, and ride together, and use the storage for long trips, etc.

sugarbear
March 18th, 2009, 07:13 AM
My Ninja is my second bike. I also have a 2004 BMW 1150RT. The BMW is great for long distance/highway riding, but a bit much for riding around town. When I saw the new generation Ninja 250, I finally decided to get that sassy sport bike I have always wanted! They are two totally different machines. Whichever one I ride, I think to myself "I Love This Bike". Then I have to go home and ride the other one and I think "I Love This Bike":)

jdesiano1
March 18th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Just picked this up last night as my second and couldn't be happier. I wanted a bigger engine but wanted to keep the up right seating. This does both and still looks like a sport bike. It is sleek and sexy. And did I mention pink ;) i didn't even think about manufactuers when shopping, just what I liked and just so happen Yamaha hit the nail on the head. 7000.00 I dont think that is to bad for a true 600 i4 fuel inj.

BlueTyke
March 18th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Jessica... :drool:

I am not one for pink but that is one HOT bike!

Broom
March 18th, 2009, 10:48 AM
kawi KDX220 woods bike and a suzuki DR350 city commuter

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/1578203559_f33d0033d4_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbroom/1578203559/)http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2006/2416678292_044e11247c_m.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jbroom/2416678292/)

KJohnson21
March 18th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Just picked this up last night as my second and couldn't be happier. I wanted a bigger engine but wanted to keep the up right seating. This does both and still looks like a sport bike. It is sleek and sexy. And did I mention pink ;) i didn't even think about manufactuers when shopping, just what I liked and just so happen Yamaha hit the nail on the head. 7000.00 I dont think that is to bad for a true 600 i4 fuel inj.

Nice detailing! :happy70:

Syphen
March 18th, 2009, 05:12 PM
All of my bikes have always been in Honda's CBR lineup. I'm a little brand loyal towards them and the sheer reliability I have had with them. Maybe I'm just lucky? With that being said, after owning the Ninja 250R, I have been impressed with Kawi bikes and would consider getting another one if the price was right.
I only strayed away from Honda because they simply did not have the bike I was looking for available here in the Canadian market (cough 2009 VTR250 cough), but I've enjoyed the experience of the ninjette.

CC Cowboy
March 19th, 2009, 02:15 PM
I've had a couple other bikes. Hondas are made well, Yamaha makes a well built bike too, Harleys are fun to ride and retain their value, Ducati is beautiful and exotic but expensive to maintain (still cheaper than a Ferrari), Kawasaki makes a great dirt bike but I find the road bikes aren't as well put together as other bikes, Suzuki has always been good to me. I've had more bikes from Harley and Suzuki than the others but I love all bikes so you really can go wrong as long as you are riding.

kkim
March 19th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I was always a Honda man, myself, but from years ago, I had heard what a great bike the 250 ninja was. When I saw the new gen styling and changes that they had made, I made the ninja mine as soon as they came out.

Prior to that, I had just bought a dual purpose Honda crf230F, which I use for trail riding/off road exploring. Electric start, light weight and reliable. The suspension and engine needs some work to be fully off road capable, but I'm working out it. :D

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_geC920GCq38/SLkSEP9gabI/AAAAAAAAAtE/AqBbmK58CoM/s640/DSC04487-1.JPG

Buffalony
March 20th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I was always a Honda man, myself, but from years ago, I had heard what a great bike the 250 ninja was. When I saw the new gen styling and changes that they had made, I made the ninja mine as soon as they came out.

Prior to that, I had just bought a dual purpose Honda crf230F, which I use for trail riding/off road exploring. Electric start, light weight and reliable. The suspension and engine needs some work to be fully off road capable, but I'm working out it. :D

Trail riding/off road exploring in hawaii............I'm so envious. have you lived there all your life or did you move there. I hear it can be costly is this true?

I was going to buy a white and blue suzuki GS500F with 2500 miles on it plus TWO matching Leather jackets and a cover. All for the same price I paid for the Ninjette. The guy just had a kid and was liquidating. It was THE perfect bike. Absolutly a Beautiful bike.

I went to the guys house with my GF an he already had it running for some other guy that was just leaving. I waived to that guy good by thinking "Competition":D. So I sat on it checked it over an told him I wanted it and I'd be back the next day with a check. He says OK sounds good.

I call him the next morning and he tells me he sold it!!!!!!
I WAS TICKED. :mad:

A couple of weeks later I'm eating outside on a restaurant patio with the GF and the same exact bike drives by. I pointed it out to my GF and she laughs and says it probably the same one. I said naw then went on a 10 Min. rampage on the guy not selling it to me.

Well again we go to the same restaurant a couple weeks later. It was around the same time of day as the last visit. The Bike drives by again..........! This time I just gave her a look.

So we eat our meal, pay our tab, leave the building. Now were in the parking lot walking towards our car and here it comes, in all it's glory, into the driveway...the white and blue suzuki GS500F. I look at her and say "You set this up didn't you" and I start looking for cameras. She starts laughing so I think she really set this up.

After He parks his bike and takes his helmet off he starts walking towards us. We were between him and the entrance. So he gets alittle closer and it's the same frickin guy who was looking at the suzuki before us!!!!!!

I just looked at her and started laughing. So now I'm laughing and she's laughing and I'm like okay, really, wheres the cameras. I expected this guy to walk up an tell me I'm on candid camera.

Well he walks past smiling at us while were in the middle of the parking lot. At this point were laughing at him headed towards the entrance. He looks back a couple of times and I sputter out the words "No really". He stops and very politely says "Is there something wrong". Right then it hits me that she didn't set me up.....I responded to him (Trying not to Laugh) "Nice Bike".

So now everytime I see or hear about a suzuki GS500F I smile instead of getting angry about losing that deal.

Sorry for the long post..hope you enjoyed. :p

Alex
March 20th, 2009, 09:17 AM
So I sat on it checked it over an told him I wanted it and I'd be back the next day with a check. He says OK sounds good.

I call him the next morning and he tells me he sold it!!!!!!
I WAS TICKED. :mad:

Hi Joe! I did enjoy your story, but I don't think you needed to be ticked in the first place. It'll become clearer if you ever get a chance to sell your own bike. 90% of the potential buyers you come across are flakes. Everyone promises to come back with a check. Everyone promises they'll be right over. Everyone promises that they'll be the ones that actually buy the bike. But more often than not, they flake. It's just the way it is.

First person to the bike with full cash in hand gets the bike, no ifs, ands, or buts. No deposits offered or accepted, no false promises from either party, no misunderstandings. Took me a little while to learn this, but everyone eventually gets there. If you're a buyer, have the cash readily available and get to the bike you want first. :2cents:

zeroth
March 20th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Everyone promises to come back with a check. Everyone promises they'll be right over. Everyone promises that they'll be the ones that actually buy the bike. But more often than not, they flake. It's just the way it is.

Exactly. I called a guy saying I was going to come see his bike the next day around 6pm. At 5:45 I called and said I was nearby, and asked for directions. He was surprised and gave me directions, and told me he'd be home in a little bit. Turns out he didn't think I was going to show up.

Also, when I went to see each bike, I took cash with me. My initial offer amount (for the one I actually bought it was $1900) in one lump, then $100 bills individually in a few other places so I could pull them out as needed, without making it obvious that I was willing to go higher. (We settled at $2000.) Some people (and I can't blame them) won't even take a personal check.

And if you're uncomfortable at carrying that kind of money around, just look at your wife/girlfriend's fingers. She probably has more $$$ wrapped around her digits than you have stuffed in your pocket.

Buffalony
March 21st, 2009, 04:52 PM
well there was alot more about the transaction than that. I actually went through this with four other bikes. and Since I was getting a vehicle loan I had to have a check made out to him,which I did. I explained that to him aswell. I didnt go into detail because the story was long enough. But I gave this guy a couple hundred dollars that day to secure the bike. He sold it on me because the other buyer made him a better offer and paid cash!! I just really liked that bike. It was very practical.

zeroth
March 21st, 2009, 07:39 PM
Fair enough. Too bad it didn't work out for you. Hope you got your $$ back!

Buffalony
March 22nd, 2009, 12:11 AM
Fair enough. Too bad it didn't work out for you. Hope you got your $$ back!

Oh yeah he wouldnt have gone that far. He could have atleast asked me if I wanted to counter offer. Oh well

Back on topic. I had an 82 Suzukimatic GS450A. It was a pretty nice bike.

Verus Cidere
March 22nd, 2009, 03:13 PM
Real quick question: I've heard several people list off bikes that are made well like Suzuki and Honda. I've seen a couple of Hyosung bikes for sale at my local Yamaha dealership and online. Anybody have any experience with Hyosung? I've gotten mixed reports that they are good, or they fall apart on the road. Anybody know?

kkim
March 22nd, 2009, 03:16 PM
I've heard, and believe, they are not as well put together as your Kawasaki.

personally, I would stay away from them unless you are very mechanically inclined.

Verus Cidere
March 22nd, 2009, 03:36 PM
Gotcha. Just checking. I am planning to get a 2nd (which might end up being my main riding bike) that is a bit bigger. Whatever I'm getting, I'll probably be lowering it, since I'm not gonna be racing it, and most bigger displacement bikes are also taller at the seat. Any ideas on this?

komohana
March 22nd, 2009, 03:45 PM
my only experience with the hyosung has been watching them on several of the korean drama series i've seen. they look like pretty sport bikes, but thats the extent of my experience.

:couch2:

Alex
March 22nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
Whatever I'm getting, I'll probably be lowering it, since I'm not gonna be racing it, and most bigger displacement bikes are also taller at the seat. Any ideas on this?

Many shorter riders lower their first bike. Without question, being able to firmly plant both feet on the ground gives people new to motorcycling more confidence while moving the bike around at very low speeds and when coming to a stop. But once someone gains confidence and riding skills, it becomes less necessary. From a handling and performance standpoint, lowering a bike limits the capabilities of the bike. It has less lean angle available, it often has less suspension travel, and the geometry can be affected in a negative manner. Whether those limitations are a problem, well, it depends on the rider and what the bike is used for. Once people get around to their 2nd bike, if they are still into the sport and still working on upping their skills, fewer and fewer find the need to lower that bike, as they've found out how to better deal with a tall bike at low speeds.

sm0kediver
March 22nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
Here's a great video comparing Kawasaki Ninja 250 to the Hyosung GT250R

WkqDzeCVkX0

FWIW I wouldn't buy a Hyosung, but I do like the grab bar on the back of the GT250R. Looks useful.

Verus Cidere
March 22nd, 2009, 10:11 PM
Many shorter riders lower their first bike. Without question, being able to firmly plant both feet on the ground gives people new to motorcycling more confidence while moving the bike around at very low speeds and when coming to a stop. But once someone gains confidence and riding skills, it becomes less necessary. From a handling and performance standpoint, lowering a bike limits the capabilities of the bike. It has less lean angle available, it often has less suspension travel, and the geometry can be affected in a negative manner. Whether those limitations are a problem, well, it depends on the rider and what the bike is used for. Once people get around to their 2nd bike, if they are still into the sport and still working on upping their skills, fewer and fewer find the need to lower that bike, as they've found out how to better deal with a tall bike at low speeds.

I see where you're coming from on this one. Who knows? Maybe it'll change after a year or two when I'm actually ready to get another bike? As of right now though, I'm what I've heard called "inseam challenged". At my local Yamaha dealer I sat on a regular 08 R6 and a lowered one. The regular one had me up on the very tips of my toes when I had it level and it was slightly hard to get it there, while the lowered one only required the balls of my feet and was almost as easy to level as my bike. Dunno though. Maybe I'll get taller by then! :thumbup:

Alex
March 22nd, 2009, 10:56 PM
I've got some pretty stubby legs myself for someone of my height; I'm all torso. :o Most of my pants have a 30" or 31" inseam. Never felt a need to lower a bike, and have enjoyed many miles on some pretty tall bikes, including some monsters like the BMW GS Adventure with a 35.2" seat height.

Verus Cidere
March 22nd, 2009, 11:10 PM
Cool. Like I said, I'm not gonna be upgrading for at least a year, out of sheer terror of getting myself killed, wasting money on a nice bike that I wreck, and because it generally takes money to buy bikes, and it took me quite a while to save up for the one I have! I just like the idea of having another one so if this one breaks down (like my bad experience with a missing clutch-cable plate) I'd have something else to get around on while getting it fixed.

Alex
March 23rd, 2009, 12:18 AM
I just like the idea of having another one so if this one breaks down

:thumbup: I'm a big proponent of having a bunch of different bike choices, and I wish I had the space to continue to add to the collection rather than having to sell one as I add one. Someday. ;)