View Full Version : Seat Cowl: Locking?

islanderman7
March 15th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I was looking at my motorcycle today and I noticed that the posterior portion of my seat cowl was sitting a bit high. I then proceded to lift it up and see if I can obtain my insurance and regestration. I can.

I am not all to happy about the vulnerability of my papers to theft just by lifting the rear portion out a bit. So I was wondering if any of you guys found an effective means to locking that rear seat cowl down.

sm0kediver
March 15th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Did you have that little clip at the rear engaged tightly?

islanderman7
March 15th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Yeah. I tried it again by fitting the male end (found under the posterior portion of the seat cowl) into the rubber grommet (on the bike) as securely as possible and I can still lift up the rear part up while the front part is locked in.

DmbShn41
March 17th, 2009, 06:23 AM
The very rear of the seat(the part that is at the back of the bike) has an open clip on the bottom of the seat, and there is a 'hook' on the bike itself. These should slide into each other and then the front hooks and latches down into the lock. I made the same mistake when I first got my bike, didnt latch it down, took off, 20 miles later realized I left my rear set at home.

ninjabrewer
March 17th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Look to see if the rubber grommet is positioned right, or torn. Mine will come out of place and would have to wiggle it around to get back in and it eventually tore.

nb

islanderman7
March 17th, 2009, 09:53 AM
The very rear of the seat(the part that is at the back of the bike) has an open clip on the bottom of the seat, and there is a 'hook' on the bike itself. These should slide into each other and then the front hooks and latches down into the lock. I made the same mistake when I first got my bike, didnt latch it down, took off, 20 miles later realized I left my rear set at home.

:welcome:

You are misunderstanding me though. This is for a 'rear seat cowl', what you are referring to is for the passenger seat.

Look to see if the rubber grommet is positioned right, or torn. Mine will come out of place and would have to wiggle it around to get back in and it eventually tore.

The rubber grommet is positioned correctly and even when the male end of the cowl is set in properly, the back portion can still be pulled up.

I think I might just resort to attaching a metal bracket to the cowl so that it will slip into the holder like the passenger seat does.

Cali619
March 17th, 2009, 10:00 AM
when I got my cowl it was a bit stiff but after a while was a bit more secure. The design itself using a rear grommit to hold it in place is not very secure IMHO...

Ninja007
March 17th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I hear ya islanderman, that rubber grommet doesn't really do jack. guess we just have to hope that no one really knows our insurance, ect. is in there! :D

kkim
March 17th, 2009, 11:12 PM
guess we just have to hope that no one really knows our insurance, ect. is in there! :D
I carry mine in my wallet.

DirtyBoy
March 17th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Once the grommet is positioned correctly try pushing down on the seat cowl as you lock it. Mine lifts up if I don't do that.

mcteague
March 18th, 2009, 02:54 AM
I carry mine in my wallet.

Ditto. Nothing valuable is stored on my bike.

Tim