View Full Version : New with valuable questions!!

crystalh
March 16th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Hey guys! I got a 2009 Ninja 250 SE on hold for me right now and I'm going to put a down payment today, but I had a few questions regarding the price they quoted me...
This is all in Canadian Dollars!

$4849.00 (Limited Edition)

$119.00 (Documentation Fee)

$139.00 (Freight/Set-up/PDI)

$100.00 (Flat fee that Credit Union charges to process the documents)

$8.00 (Tire Tax – Only GST Applies to this)

$5726.10 (Total, taxes in)

Straight from the email their financer sent me.
So how much of that is bogus? What can I talk them down reasonably, and how would I go about doing so in a nice way?:)

I would appreciate any help! Thanks in advance! Great to be on such an awesome forum!

Alex
March 16th, 2009, 05:21 AM
:welcome: crystalh! Glad to have you aboard...

Snake
March 16th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Crystahl welcome on board. Hopefuly some of our members from Canada can help you with your questions.

BlueTyke
March 16th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Welcome to the boards! Sorry I am not from Canada to give you a hand. There is a members map that you can check and see if there is anyone in your area and you can Private Message (PM) them.

hogfan83
March 16th, 2009, 09:18 AM
the guys at my dealership dropped the set up fee off my purchase but there is next to $0 wiggle room on the 250's...

Nemy
March 16th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Hey guys! I got a 2009 Ninja 250 SE on hold for me right now and I'm going to put a down payment today, but I had a few questions regarding the price they quoted me...
This is all in Canadian Dollars!

$4849.00 (Limited Edition)

$119.00 (Documentation Fee)

$139.00 (Freight/Set-up/PDI)

$100.00 (Flat fee that Credit Union charges to process the documents)

$8.00 (Tire Tax – Only GST Applies to this)

$5726.10 (Total, taxes in)

Straight from the email their financer sent me.
So how much of that is bogus? What can I talk them down reasonably, and how would I go about doing so in a nice way?:)

I would appreciate any help! Thanks in advance! Great to be on such an awesome forum!

Welcome :canada:! And another joins the SE club :D

Basically everything besides the MSRP and tax are stealership fees. Not sure about credit union fees though.. is that because you're financing? But you've actually gotten some good rates on those. Over here in TO we're used to $400+ for all that stuff. So even with the $150 kawi price hike recently, you're paying the same that I did OTD for the Special Edition at MSRP $4699 (though I have 13% tax :mad:).

There's really no way to negotiate the fees esp. on a sold out bike. If you can round up a group buy, however, you might have a chance. Last year, 50+ people here signed up for $4400 OTD - cheaper than MSRP! :eek:

kkim
March 16th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Aloha and welcome, Crystal.

Hope you can resolve the price to your liking and will be joining the ownership club soon. :)

KJohnson21
March 16th, 2009, 10:59 AM
:welcome:

athimmel
March 16th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Welcome. For a few hundred dollars more, it may be worth it to grab the bike!

crystalh
March 16th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Hey guys! 'preciate the love! I went to go put the first part of my down payment today so it's officially mine. I also told them to take it off the floor cause I don't want young boys sitting on it and drooling on it!! So it's being kept in the warehouse. I cannot wait for the snow to melt here in Saskatchewan so I can ride this beautiful beast. My biggest fear is dropping it. So any ideas on preventive measures as far as drops go?

BlueTyke
March 16th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Check out the site. There are a lot of good threads with great advice.

One saying I learned a long time ago is... "It is not IF it is When" and the best thing to do about it is be prepared as best you can. Gear up, all the time.

birdy
March 16th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Welcome, :D I just picked up my '09 SE last thursday. Been raining ever since:eek:

BlueTyke
March 16th, 2009, 05:38 PM
No worries Ted! The weather is supposed to becoming nice this weekend... Or so I was told... I haven't checked yet

thebulbousone
March 16th, 2009, 05:38 PM
if my conversion is right 5700 canadian is about 4400 u.s.? msrp and all the fees doesnt sound outrageous. dealers here have very little wiggle room on price. most help with accessories around here....never hurts to ask?!?!?

noche_caliente
March 16th, 2009, 06:07 PM
The setup fee is about the only place you might have some wiggle room - if they won't do that, you can always ask for some gear or goodies like frame sliders to be thrown in
good luck!

sm0kediver
March 16th, 2009, 06:32 PM
They really don't haggle much on these, and it's hard to find one on the showroom floor sometimes. Go for it. What color is it?

crystalh
March 16th, 2009, 07:17 PM
It's the Special Edition Lime green/black/white!

ninjablk08
March 16th, 2009, 07:52 PM
welcome and if you cant get the price down ask them to throw in a helmet ,good luck and enjoy your new bike

miks
March 16th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Welcome!!

Tire tax?! That blasphemy, that's madness! THAT IS SPARTAAAAA!!!

But seriously, try get some discount on gear or your 1st service. As for protecting the bike from a fall, try Frame Sliders (Crash Knobs) - ask them to put it on for .. FREE!

crystalh
March 16th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Alright now how would I go about asking for things like that? I always feel bad asking people for things!!

kkim
March 16th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Just think of your wallet while you are asking. The more you can get the price lowered, the more toys you'll be able to afford to buy for it. :)

ninjabrewer
March 16th, 2009, 11:08 PM
and welcome to the starting line.

You will enjoy the new bike and being here.

congrats

hogfan83
March 16th, 2009, 11:22 PM
My biggest fear is dropping it. So any ideas on preventive measures as far as drops go?

Sliders or a cage.....AND DONT GRAB THE FRONT BREAK TO STOP IF THE HANDLEBARS ARE NOT STRAIGHT!!!

miks
March 17th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Alright now how would I go about asking for things like that? I always feel bad asking people for things!!

Have to be smooth and not so subtle. You cant just out of no where be like;
You : "Hey, I bought this bike"
Dealer : "ok cool"
You : "Give me free stuff"
Dealer : "...wtf :confused:"

Try be like;
You : "Hey, I interested in purchasing this bike - and was wondering if you could do anything to sweeten the deal"
Dealer : "What do you mean?"
You : "I'm in the market for some gear, is there anything you could do there?"

Etc etc

Oooo crap, you've already paid for everything.

In that case, upon pick up try and talk to dealer into giving your first or even a couple of free services - any money saved is good money!

NICUNinja
March 17th, 2009, 06:04 AM
The price on the bike is about the same as what I paid in Dec. for my '09.
My dealer gives me 15% off of anything I purchase from them for the next year.
As for safety, I put Intuitive sliders on my bike before I took it out. They won't do alot of good if you go down with any speed but if you drop it while standing still they give some protection.

Nemy
March 17th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Try be like;
You : "Hey, I interested in purchasing this bike - and was wondering if you could do anything to sweeten the deal"
Dealer : "What do you mean?"
You : "I'm in the market for some gear, is there anything you could do there?"

Etc etc

Oooo crap, you've already paid for everything.

In that case, upon pick up try and talk to dealer into giving your first or even a couple of free services - any money saved is good money!

Well it seems she's only got the deposit down so you can still try to "sweeten the deal" - free accessories, cheap gear, and if worst comes to worst free first service (glorified oil change). But it'll work better if you can be flirty with the salesperson. For some reason it didn't work for me :rolleyes:

Cali619
March 17th, 2009, 10:09 AM
what I did was allowed the stealership to calculate a bunch of numbers and then, before I signed the paperwork I told the finance person sorry thats to much. He was frantic cause he thought he had a done deal with his BS added fees, and as I was walking out he says ,"what do I need to do to get your business." I told him a reasonable price and he magically made it happen. Its business, what they say aint written in stone so make em work for your money, dont just take what they give cause its gonna be rape...

GreezMunky
March 17th, 2009, 02:20 PM
They won't do alot of good if you go down with any speed but if you drop it while standing still they give some protection.

Parking lot drops seems to be the best thing that the frame sliders protect against. I grabbed a handful of front brake with my bars almost locked to one side pulling in a parking spot going down hill and dropped it. First thing pulling in, next second, on the ground. Not a scratch on me or the bike. I was going 5mph or so..

crystalh
March 17th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Yeah I'm not too worried about dropping it while on the road (although I don't want to jinx it) but I am worried about it being in the garage and dropping or while I'm parking it dropping, or not making sure the kickstand is all the way out, etc. etc. To tell the truth, I'm more worried about scratching or denting the bike rather than being able to pick it up! I'm only 5'5, 130 lbs so I should probably start worrying about how I'm going to pick it up if it does drop...

kkim
March 17th, 2009, 09:01 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11499

komohana
March 17th, 2009, 09:05 PM
greetings crystal & welcome to our humble abode :yo:

aloha

jpnfrk
March 17th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Welcome Crystal!! :high5:

I also worry about doing minor damage to my darling moto but just figured that if one concentrates on familiarizing with it then the fears of 'hurting' it slowly melt away.

crystalh
March 20th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Thanks so much for the advice guys! I'm definitely going to put some frame sliders on it before I take it anywhere! I'd rather not have it scratched, as I don't know how much parts are to replace, if I can even replace them!