View Full Version : My bike has too many gears:/

JohnnyBravo
October 8th, 2013, 08:56 PM
So someone got to at least 80mph in second or third, what are the other three or four gears for? Yes they redlined it, yes sadly he or she was speeding, and no they dunno what the other gears are for if they only get 20 or so more mph.
This is def technical

cuong-nutz
October 9th, 2013, 05:46 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3CO5P7D233k/T0xkLzqOdzI/AAAAAAAACJM/IPHV1rWQSLY/s1600/276253_Papel-de-Parede-Meme-Jackie-Chan_1600x1200.jpg

crazymadbastard
October 9th, 2013, 06:15 AM
To have something to do and not get bored at high speeds?

JohnnyBravo
October 9th, 2013, 06:52 AM
pic
What's wrong with Jackie chan?
To have something to do and not get bored at high speeds?
Ill accept that as a good answer :thumbup: I'm kinda glad that I don't have the power to loop the speedo around to 200 or so :eek::D

crazymadbastard
October 9th, 2013, 08:41 AM
What's wrong with Jackie chan?

Ill accept that as a good answer :thumbup: I'm kinda glad that I don't have the power to loop the speedo around to 200 or so :eek::D

I am scared of 70mph still.. :(

JohnnyBravo
October 9th, 2013, 08:54 AM
I am scared of 70mph still.. :(

I'm getin comfortable with 70, little by little. I wanna ride a track soon! I couldn't ride much in Florida, but I moved back here and ride like crazy :D
Got more Carolina miles in a short time than I ever got Florida miles :D
Ain't many places you need to go 70 or over, ride your rode:thumbup:

astricklin
October 9th, 2013, 09:16 AM
There are more gears so that the engine will stay in its optimal range. It will lower engine RPM therefore reducing wear (increasing longevity) and improving fuel economy.

This is taken from Wikipedia. I know, I know, not always the best but it puts what I wanted to say into a coherent statement.

"The need for a transmission in an automobile is a consequence of the characteristics of the internal combustion engine. Engines typically operate over a range of 600 to about 7000 revolutions per minute (though this varies, and is typically less for diesel engines), while the car's wheels rotate between 0 rpm and around 1800 rpm.
Furthermore, the engine provides its highest torque and power outputs unevenly across the rev range resulting in a torque band and a power band. Often the greatest torque is required when the vehicle is moving from rest or traveling slowly, while maximum power is needed at high speed. Therefore, a system that transforms the engine's output so that it can supply high torque at low speeds, but also operate at highway speeds with the motor still operating within its limits, is required. Transmissions perform this transformation."

Motofool
October 9th, 2013, 09:26 AM
:whathesaid:

The power output of combustion engines is far from linear respect to the rpms; it gets reduced after certain range of rpms.

http://www.areapnolimits.com/images/product/250r_08_dyno_big.gif

If your engine is so strong that turns above that critical range of rpms, it very well can slowed down some via a gear switch, giving it a chance to push even harder.

On the other hand, if you want a quick acceleration while at low speeds, more torque can be achieved by using the lower gears which speed up the engine up to that sweet range of rpms.

Having an electrical motor with linear power and huge torque at low rpms, e-bikes need no gear box.

crazymadbastard
October 9th, 2013, 09:27 AM
I'm getin comfortable with 70, little by little. I wanna ride a track soon! I couldn't ride much in Florida, but I moved back here and ride like crazy :D
Got more Carolina miles in a short time than I ever got Florida miles :D
Ain't many places you need to go 70 or over, ride your rode:thumbup:

When I'm my cages I am pretty much one of the fastest on the highway, when on the minja moped I get passd by all these dam speed demon cagers!!!

JohnnyBravo
October 9th, 2013, 09:44 AM
When I'm my cages I am pretty much one of the fastest on the highway, when on the minja moped I get passd by all these dam speed demon cagers!!!

Well your not doin 140 with a cage to protect you on the ninja... I ride the roads faster in my cage to :thumbup: I ain't ever felt like the wind could jerk me out of a cage, I can see the wind jerking a person off a bike :/

JohnnyBravo
October 9th, 2013, 09:52 AM
:whathesaid:

The power output of combustion engines is far from linear respect to the rpms; it gets reduced after certain range of rpms.
If your engine is so strong that turns above that critical range of rpms, it very well can slowed down some via a gear switch, giving it a chance to push even harder.

On the other hand, if you want a quick acceleration while at low speeds, more torque can be achieved by using the lower gears which speed up the engine up to that sweet range of rpms.

Having an electrical motor with linear power and huge torque at low rpms, e-bikes need no gear box.

Ever helpful :thumbup: me thinks these extra gears call for moar powaaa!!! I was thinking I never fully broke in my 300 since I didn't redline it, it's fully broke in an everything is seated an running fine now.

Electric bikes??? Hmmm jet bikes sound more fun, an less bad for the environment... Do they come in solar?

subxero
October 9th, 2013, 10:23 AM
So someone got to at least 80mph in second or third, what are the other three or four gears for? Yes they redlined it, yes sadly he or she was speeding, and no they dunno what the other gears are for if they only get 20 or so more mph.
This is def technical

sarcasm is hard to sense sometimes via txt so bare with me here.

is this some one you?

JohnnyBravo
October 9th, 2013, 10:26 AM
sarcasm is hard to sense sometimes via txt so bare with me here.

is this some one you?

You got it:thumbup:
I never redlined my bike before so yup I had to , I don't remember if it was second or third, what a rush!!

alex.s
October 9th, 2013, 11:06 AM
they are for going straight.

choneofakind
October 9th, 2013, 01:16 PM
They're so you don't over-brapppp and use up all your brappppp's in the boring straight parts.

Better save those brappppps for the fun parts where they come in handy; the turns

adouglas
October 9th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Brapps are a non-renewable resource and should be conserved.

You think the Ninjette don't need moar gearz... just wait til you try a big bike.

On my 750, I can break the speed limit on the highway in first and never even come close to redline.

On a typical back road ride I just put it in third and leave it there. Torque monster....

I reset the shift light so it fires at only 8k rpm and it almost never goes off.

The power and speed are so effortless, and the chassis is so stable, that I've found myself doing a plain, garden variety, no-drama pass of a car on the parkway, only to look down and see three digits pop up on the speedo. This is AFTER installing the speedo healer so it's accurate....

OOOOOOppppssss..... (sheepish roll off). :o

Once you start going faster, speed feels slow. That's what makes it dangerous.

alex.s
October 9th, 2013, 03:07 PM
i typically keep the 600 above 8k... suspension feels better with the wheel in the air :P

seriously though i brap brap everywhere. y u no brap brap all the time? you can brap brap in 6 too. just not so brap brapy. more like... breeeeeep.

massacremasses
October 9th, 2013, 03:33 PM
you cannot braap with an inline 4... only yut ugh... come on guys.

JohnnyBravo
October 9th, 2013, 04:19 PM
They're so you don't over-brapppp and use up all your brappppp's in the boring straight parts.

Better save those brappppps for the fun parts where they come in handy; the turns
I'm so in Love with the 300... I can't think of a funner bike :D

Brapps are a non-renewable resource and should be conserved.

You think the Ninjette don't need moar gearz... just wait til you try a big bike.

On my 750, I can break the speed limit on the highway in first and never even come close to redline.

On a typical back road ride I just put it in third and leave it there. Torque monster....

I reset the shift light so it fires at only 8k rpm and it almost never goes off.

The power and speed are so effortless, and the chassis is so stable, that I've found myself doing a plain, garden variety, no-drama pass of a car on the parkway, only to look down and see three digits pop up on the speedo. This is AFTER installing the speedo healer so it's accurate....

OOOOOOppppssss..... (sheepish roll off). :o

Once you start going faster, speed feels slow. That's what makes it dangerous.
Speeding still feels fast to me... Keeps me in check. I can't imagine riding everyday on a super sport, I might def go off through the bushes again

i typically keep the 600 above 8k... suspension feels better with the wheel in the air :P

seriously though i brap brap everywhere. y u no brap brap all the time? you can brap brap in 6 too. just not so brap brapy. more like... breeeeeep.
Hahahaha you cracey man jus cracey... All that super sport racing with the front tire off the ground looks exhilarating yet scary:thumbup:

you cannot braap with an inline 4... only yut ugh... come on guys.
Ever see the zx2 vids??? Them lil straight 4's braaaap something fierce

they are for going straight.
The twisties are fun, but I def braaaaap more on the straights

choneofakind
October 9th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Dude, even the 250 is too fast for my maturity level :p

But really

JohnnyBravo
October 9th, 2013, 05:24 PM
I don't see how anyone gets past a ninjette on maturity level... You didn't misplace A Douglas's post did ya??? I think I realize why my dad is against bikes for me and why he sold his without another one, kinda... Stupid step monster :(
( I need a lil smiley tapping his foot )

massacremasses
October 10th, 2013, 07:51 AM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=braap

adouglas
October 10th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Just for fun when I was riding home last night I ran my 750 up to 60 mph in first gear and held it there for awhile.

It howled like a banshee.

It was turning only 11k (redline on the 750 is, IIRC, 13.5 k).

BzzgrrowwoooaahhhooooaaooooaaaaaaaaaaaOOOOAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! !!!!

adouglas
October 10th, 2013, 09:48 AM
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=braap

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Yut-Ughhh

choneofakind
October 10th, 2013, 12:04 PM
I'm going to have to request that you check your spelling on that onomatopoeia, Andrew. :D

Aggrotech
October 10th, 2013, 01:19 PM

lmao what the ****.

massacremasses
October 10th, 2013, 04:20 PM
I know?

lmao what the ****.

Dx4F94DnATY

Aggrotech
October 10th, 2013, 04:32 PM
I know?

Dx4F94DnATY

this was quite entertaining. thanks :)

thurt88
October 10th, 2013, 05:30 PM
I could just imagine pinning a zx10r in 1st or second.

JohnnyBravo
October 11th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Haha right... Or a zx14 :eek:

tnr4
October 11th, 2013, 05:39 PM
I could just imagine pinning a zx10r in 1st or second.

I did that on an R1 last month. It literally gave me vertigo. Like, something funky happened with my brain, and I got the roller coaster, stomach-up feeling. And when I just easily 'rolled on' through 1st gear on the next straight, the front wheel hovered in the air from like 30-80 mph. I hit 155 on a 3000' straight without trying. :eek:

I probably never need a liter bike, lol.

JohnnyBravo
October 11th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Liter bikes are nuts!!!

SeanMarshall
November 11th, 2013, 04:38 AM
Ever helpful :thumbup: me thinks these extra gears call for moar powaaa!!! I was thinking I never fully broke in my 300 since I didn't redline it, it's fully broke in an everything is seated an running fine now.

Electric bikes??? Hmmm jet bikes sound more fun, an less bad for the environment... Do they come in solar panels (http://www.shinesolar.net)?

Seems like good amount of fun.. Is it available in the solar?:thumbup::thumbup:

JohnnyBravo
November 11th, 2013, 05:12 AM
Seems like good amount of fun.. Is it available in the solar?:thumbup::thumbup:
Idk you can probly hook it to your solar panels, idk:confused:

PartsNinja
January 23rd, 2014, 09:14 AM
:DThey're so you don't over-brapppp and use up all your brappppp's in the boring straight parts.