View Full Version : Crackalackin

LNasty
October 10th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Can anyone tell me if this is normal tire wear? This is OEM front irc with 7400 miles on it.

Really small, fine cracks inside the treads. Just afraid that it's going to blow out on me one day

Alex
October 10th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Normal.

LNasty
October 10th, 2013, 10:02 AM
good to hear, Thankyou.

jkv45
October 10th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Find the production date on the tire - it's 4 numbers in an oval on the sidewall. Something like "2609" - which is the 26th week of 2009.

More important than the miles on the tire is the age. After 4 years or so, depending on conditions, a tire will have lost a significant amount of its original traction because the rubber has dried out and become hard. I've replaced a complete set of car tires, with adequate tread, after 3 years because of a reduction in traction.

Good quality tires (especially the front) are a must to maintain adequate safety IMO. The consequences for trying to get the maximum life out of your tires are extremely high.

LNasty
October 10th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Find the production date on the tire - it's 4 numbers in an oval on the sidewall. Something like "2609" - which is the 26th week of 2009.

More important than the miles on the tire is the age. After 4 years or so, depending on conditions, a tire will have lost a significant amount of its original traction because the rubber has dried out and become hard. I've replaced a complete set of car tires, with adequate tread, after 3 years because of a reduction in traction.

Good quality tires (especially the front) are a must to maintain adequate safety IMO. The consequences for trying to get the maximum life out of your tires are extremely high.

I bought the bike brand new a year ago (2012), tires are not much more than 1 year old

jkv45
October 10th, 2013, 10:38 AM
I bought the bike brand new a year ago (2012), tires are not much more than 1 year old
Check the date anyway. Depending on the production date of the cycle the tires can be older than you would expect from the model year.

NevadaWolf
October 10th, 2013, 10:41 AM

Ah, careful on that. A "brand new" tire right off the shelf may still have been made a year or two prior. The rubber still deteriorates while its waiting to be put on the shelf and then into your hands.

There's a great ABC report from a few years ago that shows some dealers selling 3-5 year old tires as brand new - that technically they were as they had never been used, but the rubber was still old.

That's why its important to check the manufacturing date.

(not saying you're wrong, just pointing it out in case some one doesn't know.)

LNasty
October 10th, 2013, 10:43 AM
I have the extra tire protection that i bought with the bike, do you think that would cover this? should they give me a new tire

LNasty
October 10th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Just checked the date it is 0212, Feb of 2012

broken neck
October 10th, 2013, 12:11 PM

Second week of 2012... Around mid-January of 2012

Motofool
October 10th, 2013, 12:54 PM
.........Really small, fine cracks inside the treads. Just afraid that it's going to blow out on me one day

That looks like superficial oxidized rubber due to exposure to abundant Sun light.

No need to worry at all, the cords keep the integrity of the carcase, as long as they are not affected by a deep cut or exposed to a lot of water.

LNasty
October 10th, 2013, 01:14 PM
That looks like superficial oxidized rubber due to exposure to abundant Sun light.

No need to worry at all, the cords keep the integrity of the carcase, as long as they are not affected by a deep cut or exposed to a lot of water.

thats what I dont understand, i dont keep bike out in sun, other than when I am riding it

jkv45
October 10th, 2013, 01:52 PM
As noted - that's week 02 (Jan), 2012.

Not very old, but I still don't like it. I've seen that before on older tires, but not tires that are less than 2 years old.

I'd look into it if you feel you may have some sort of coverage.

To me, it's a sign that - for whatever reason - the tire is drying out and the rubber is less pliable.

Is it in danger of failing? No. But it's not confidence inspiring either.

NevadaWolf
October 10th, 2013, 02:01 PM
May or may not be the same but i had similar cracks in the tread of my front tire that i was told was due to the heat of hard riding. I had my front tire set at 28 that i was told was too low for excess highway miles and that the lower pressure contributed to it cracking.

*disclaimer: I didn't really understand the explanation then so take this with a huge grain of salt.

Asspire
October 10th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Throw it out and buy a R6, their tires do not crack....

Normal wear & tear, if you see cracks on the sidewall, then you want to replace them

LNasty
October 10th, 2013, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE=Asspire;761239]Throw it out and buy a R6, their tires do not crack....

Will do! already got half of it in the dumpster

Motofool
October 10th, 2013, 07:50 PM
thats what I dont understand, i dont keep bike out in sun, other than when I am riding it

It doesn't have to be direct light, diffuse light is enough (window in the garage, etc.).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_degradation

That is the reason for tires to come wrapped from the factories.

Maybe yours are made out of rubber that was a little deficient in any compound and dried out enough to show those little cracks, but again, I see no reason for worries, unless you see a deformation or have a big cut or something.