View Full Version : Wrist pain

birdy
March 17th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Hi all just curious how many of you have problems with wrist pain when riding your ninja. I just got mine last week, but have only been able to ride it how from the dealer as it has been raining ever since. I noticed after riding home (30 miles) my wrists were both sore. I assume its related to the riding position on this bike. Anybody know some good exercises for the wrists? I hate to think I have to deal with pain every time I ride. Never had this problem on my dirt bike or harley, but as I said I assume I'm putting/supporting more of my body weight on my wrists due to a different riding position than I am used to. Any thoughts are most appreciated:D. Tnx

Buffalony
March 17th, 2009, 05:17 AM
me. My wrists hurt every now and then. You could just be getting your riding muscles ready. If it continues you can try risers.

NICUNinja
March 17th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I'm not experiencing any wrist pain, not since the first time I took out the bike. It may be that you need to adjust your riding position/wrist position.
Good luck. :)

BlueTyke
March 17th, 2009, 06:47 AM
I have... A lot of that is my position. But I also have a job where I sit at a computer all day and also sleep with my hands in funny positions.

So my dr suggested braces for when I sleep... It might be that your body is adjusting to this new sport though. You are working different muscles and then holding them there.

Cali619
March 17th, 2009, 06:53 AM
from experience and reading other forums it helps to use your legs and grip the bike more with the legs to take most of the weight.

Nemy
March 17th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Ya like others have posted, check your riding position cause you shouldn't really be getting wrist pains unless your wrists were already weak. Try to loosen up your grip on the bars and keep your elbows bent so that they can take some of the weight off.

zartan
March 17th, 2009, 09:37 AM
So sad to hear. I have wrists that are toast so I just keep it within 70- 100 miles a day.
Yes haven't ridden all winter so the first couple of rides will get me...

Also relates to your shoulder position. it all connects!!

If it gets too bad, bring your riding position up. Maybe experiment with fork riser spacers under the bars but not actually raise the forks. It will bring the bars up a bit but remember it will also change the geometry a little. experiment.

Visus
March 17th, 2009, 09:53 AM
After a couple hours of riding, I noticed my throttle hand was very fatigued. Probably just because I'm using different muscles and in a different position than normal.

Cali619
March 17th, 2009, 09:56 AM
can possibly invest in different grips or gloves to give more cushion and take some of the numb hands feelings away after a long ride

HKr1
March 17th, 2009, 10:15 AM
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00614899000P?keyword=hand

:)

BlueTyke
March 17th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Also... Try not to lean your weight onto your wrists. I found when I began I would lean my weight forward onto my wrists which would then of course be on my handlebars. A riding mentor told me if I cannot flap my elbows I am weighting to much on my bars.

Rynownd
March 17th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I also have experienced pain. This is my first bike, so I have no basis for comparison. I have found however that the previously mentioned suggestions do help i.e. riding position, loosening my grip, using my legs more

Viper-Byte
March 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Sounds to me like you are not holding yourself up with your legs. I get pain in my right wrist no matter how I ride... but that is due to arthiritis in my wrist after breaking both arm bones, shattering my wrist joint in 4 places and dislcating my wrist... :rolleyes:

sm0kediver
March 17th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Definitely riding position. Scoot up close to the tank, grip with your knees, and don't carry your weight on your hands.

kkim
March 17th, 2009, 12:39 PM
everyone has given you some good advice.

one other thing that might help is make sure your gloves aren't on too tight. Mine has a wrist strap that velcros into place to tighten it up after you get the gloves on. I make sure that I tighten it to allow for the bend of the wrist that happens when in the riding position. If I tighten it w/o allowing for that, my wrists get numb after awhile. It might have something to do with the pain you're having.

also, ride with your hands relaxed, not with a real tight grip on the bars.

GreezMunky
March 17th, 2009, 01:55 PM
also, ride with your hands relaxed, not with a real tight grip on the bars.

+1

My first long 200 mi ride, about 50 miles into it my hands were going number from the death grip I had on the handle bars. Have to remind yourself sometimes to relax, lol.

birdy
March 17th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Tnx for all the suggestions. I got to ride today for the first time since I picked up the bike:p. Rode about 25mi along a nice country road with losts of twisties. I used my knees to grip this sides/tank and that helped a lot. I've ridden for over 40 yrs, but never on a sport bike. Just gotta work through the learning curve. BTW, I've always enjoyed riding, but I must say this bike is FUNto ride!! Tnx again---Ted

kkim
March 17th, 2009, 03:08 PM
hang on to your helmet... it gets funner. :ride:

sm0kediver
March 17th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I've owned four motorcycles, and ridden others. So far, this one is the most fun. I don't think it can be beat on a twisty road.

Sound Wave
March 17th, 2009, 07:57 PM
After a couple hours of riding, I noticed my throttle hand was very fatigued. Probably just because I'm using different muscles and in a different position than normal.

i was getting the same thing. i bought the cramp buster. that thing works amazingly!

jpnfrk
March 17th, 2009, 11:39 PM
i was getting the same thing. i bought the cramp buster. that thing works amazingly!

Do you have any pics?

Sound Wave
March 18th, 2009, 12:21 AM
no i don't have any pics of it on my bike. sorry.

here is a video of it though
QsEdD05zFxk
_Uyo5NxbMW0

while cruising on the freeway, you don't even need to close your hand. you just kind of lean on it with your palm. really cut down the cramping and numbness in my right hand.

jpnfrk
March 18th, 2009, 01:13 AM
no i don't have any pics of it on my bike. sorry.
[...]
while cruising on the freeway, you don't even need to close your hand. you just kind of lean on it with your palm. really cut down the cramping and numbness in my right hand.

Gary, I think I am almost sold on those... I have very small hands so it sounds like it could help... now I have to check with my local moto store to see if they carry them. :D

miks
March 18th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I bet this guy's wrist wouldn't be sore after a long ride.
Heaviest Wrist Curl - Done by a 74 y.o Gent. (http://www.srichinmoycentre.org/news/sri_chinmoy_270lb_wristcurl)

CC Cowboy
March 19th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I went down to the local brothel and inquired about wrist exercises to relieve the fatigue. I was shown a few different grips and after an hour I left. I feel after a few more trips to the brothel I might be ready for a cruise control. If that doesn't work at least I know where to go and relax.

kkim
March 19th, 2009, 02:24 PM
I went down to the local brothel and inquired about wrist exercises to relieve the fatigue. I was shown a few different grips and after an hour I left. I feel after a few more trips to the brothel I might be ready for a cruise control. If that doesn't work at least I know where to go and relax.
it was very nice of them to give you a hand. :thumbup:

TrueFaith
March 19th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Heck, I've had carpal tunnel syndrome for so long I wouldn't even know if my bike was causing pain too. I blame it all on HALO and Master Chief, as well as 60 hours a week on a PC at work for 20 years.
Rule of thumb in both motorcycling and bicycling is that if your wrists and hands are numb or have pain after riding you've got too much weight on them and should adjust your position so more weight is put on your rear. I could see where this might be a problem with rearsets since they pitch your weight forward much more tham stock pegs.

Buffalony
March 19th, 2009, 04:48 PM
The incline of the seat doesnt help me at all either. I really need to try that seat mod to see if it'll help at all.

sometimesido
March 19th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Grr. I went to go get this "Crampbuster" today at my local Cyclegear...SOLD OUT. It would have helped me a lot today.

Still not as nearly as bad as the time I rode my buddy's GSXR600. Never getting a full out sport bike...