View Full Version : Salutations from Southern California

gearheadfred
October 12th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Hi all,

New rider from Los Angeles hoping to pick up my first bike soon. Looking to do a little more research than I've already done into the Ninja and see what happens. In the mean time though, glad to be here, four wheels good and save the manuals!

-gearheadfred

LittleRedNinjette
October 13th, 2013, 12:21 AM
:welcome: gearheadfred! Glad to have you aboard...

csmith12
October 13th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Welcome!

KJohnson21
October 13th, 2013, 05:58 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=1195

JohnnyBravo
October 13th, 2013, 08:59 PM
I watched that movie all the time... Shoot watched it a few months ago, wait retract that, that was drop dead Fred :/
Welcome to the forum... Research up, take the msf, get ya license, gear up, an enjoy the ride :thumbup: not in that order really, but um yea do all that :D

Motofool
October 14th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Hi all,

New rider from Los Angeles hoping to pick up my first bike soon........

Welcome to our site, F !!!

Check our Riding Skills section.

gearheadfred
October 14th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the warm response everybody!

Confession, I took the MSF and got my M1 back in 2010 because I thought there would be room for a bike in my life, but times change and I ended up never picking one up. Now that there's a little more financial room to play with, I think its time to change that.

Considering that its been more than a little while since I've been on a bike, I definitely need a quick riding refresher course. If anybody has any suggestions regarding courses/classes/instructors to get re-acquainted, I'd love to hear them. If necessary, I can take an MSF again, but I'd prefer to keep that on the backburner for cost/time reasons. Thoughts?

CC Cowboy
October 14th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Freds out!

You should pick up a scooter and get the feeling of the wind in your hair on the open road before diving into something as powerful as a 250 (don't even think 300).

gear out dude!

Snake
October 15th, 2013, 10:25 PM
Hello and welcome.

gearheadfred
October 17th, 2013, 09:01 PM
thanks again for the welcome all.

just curious, as sort of a broad perspective question, how many of you had ABS on your first bike? or even how necessary do you think it is?

IMO it's a nice safety cushion to have, but the majority of bikers I know don't have ABS. I also don't know if it's worth the price premium it usually commands. Thoughts?

JosueDG
October 17th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Welcome fellow Californian!

jeffb502
October 17th, 2013, 11:12 PM
thanks again for the welcome all.

just curious, as sort of a broad perspective question, how many of you had ABS on your first bike? or even how necessary do you think it is?

IMO it's a nice safety cushion to have, but the majority of bikers I know don't have ABS. I also don't know if it's worth the price premium it usually commands. Thoughts?

I'm a brand new rider (see my intro right above yours) and I was looking for used, cheap bikes, preferably with body damage, as my first purchase. There aren't many used cheap bikes with ABS where I am, so that kind of ruled it out for me. I would have liked it, but I decided it was not worth the risk and expense to have a brand new bike just to have the ABS.

Thanks for the warm response everybody!

Confession, I took the MSF and got my M1 back in 2010 because I thought there would be room for a bike in my life, but times change and I ended up never picking one up. Now that there's a little more financial room to play with, I think its time to change that.

Considering that its been more than a little while since I've been on a bike, I definitely need a quick riding refresher course. If anybody has any suggestions regarding courses/classes/instructors to get re-acquainted, I'd love to hear them. If necessary, I can take an MSF again, but I'd prefer to keep that on the backburner for cost/time reasons. Thoughts?

I'm definitely going to take the MSF Basic Rider Course 2 once I get some more experience and I find a course that matches my work scheduling. I'm pretty sure it's cheaper (around $100 where I am) and you get to use your own motorcycle. It's a shorter class (a half day, all out on the riding range). I think that would be a good idea for you once you get your new bike since it's been 3 years since the first class.

Alex
October 18th, 2013, 01:33 PM
I'd agree with Jeff. I'm a big fan of ABS, but wouldn't hold out for a brand-new bike as a new rider if it was the only way to get the feature.

That said, if you've weighed the options and are deciding to buy new, I would think the typical $500 premium for ABS is worth it.

rasta
October 18th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Welcome! Ride safe down there!

gearheadfred
October 18th, 2013, 06:20 PM
I'd agree with Jeff. I'm a big fan of ABS, but wouldn't hold out for a brand-new bike as a new rider if it was the only way to get the feature.

That said, if you've weighed the options and are deciding to buy new, I would think the typical $500 premium for ABS is worth it.

considering my skill level and budget, i'm definitely not picking up anything new. I'm assuming that at some point, not matter how careful I may be, something will inevitably happen and the bike will get scratched up one way or another. no new bikes for this rider for a while...

JohnnyBravo
October 19th, 2013, 01:40 PM
I don't got no stinkin ABS... Haven't had a moment where I needed it, or would have used it yet... Knock on wood.

greenaero
October 20th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Welcome Fred!