View Full Version : Water replacement question

IF13
October 14th, 2013, 07:14 AM
So after two oil changes and some cleaning and lubing of the chain, I realized that what I thought was a perfectly running bike (minus the need for a shimming) isn't as good as it should because I found out that the water pipe directly from the radiator after the bend (part number: 39192) was also bent during my crash.

It's bent to the point that the cooling system can only push half the original volume of coolant through it. Now if the system's compensating for this by pumping even more coolant at a faster rate, I wouldn't know. I actually don't know if the system is able to do that.

So in short, how hard is it to replace the pipe? I'm looking at the parts diagram and it just looks like a twist off, twist on situation but the way the pipes installed, it looks like I'd have to take more off to be able to twist the pipe off.

cuong-nutz
October 14th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Going off the part number, you're referring to the water pipe from the cylinder head, correct? if so, you have to remove the valve cover to remove it pipe since the valve cover holds the tab for the water pipe to the cylinder head. Once you remove the cover, the pipe will "pop" off. Just yank it out. It's held in by compression of the o ring.

You may need to replace the rubber o ring too. It's the same size at the one in your oil filter kit. Might need to replace the rubber damper too that the tab fits into if it's worn or cracked. It's what keeps the pipe stable.

red5
October 14th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Do you mean part 32102?? It would be one hell of a crash to bend the pipe coming from the top of the head.

http://www.partzilla.com/images/diagrams/kawasaki/I15/I1527/E3037.png

In either case, just twist and pull out of the socket. The o-ring should be replaced also. The pump output will not change based on the crushed pipe. The pressure may increase a bit but it will not sense the restriction and adjust.

IF13
October 14th, 2013, 10:35 AM
One of the luckiest crashes.

But yeah...I hope it's as easy as removing the angled piping directly attached to the radiator and twisting it off.

Does the radiator contain any coolant or does the coolant reservoir hold the fluids until it's in need?

csmith12
October 14th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Ummm... just like your car, the radiator contains fluid.

IF13
October 14th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Well I know that how it is for the car but I always thought the coolant just flushed back into the reservoir when the bike shuts off or cools down.

So would that mean that entire pipe is also full of coolant since it sits right at the bottom of the radiator?

EDIT: Just read a radiator flush DIY. So it is chock full of coolant. Damn. I wonder if there's a way I can change the pipe without draining the radiator. D: But that doesn't seem to be possible now.

cuong-nutz
October 14th, 2013, 08:33 PM
It's not that hard now and coolant doesn't cost gold. But... If you want just drain the coolant and reuse it.

IF13
October 14th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Okay, so I'm going to undo the clamps, pull the hose, swim in coolant (or at least let it drain into something, then twist the pipe.

Will I have enough clearance to twist the pipe?

red5
October 15th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Okay, so I'm going to undo the clamps, pull the hose, swim in coolant (or at least let it drain into something, then twist the pipe.

Will I have enough clearance to twist the pipe?

Before you remove any clamps, drain the fluid into a pan. Remove bolt number 130 above.

Clearance? Still not sure which pipe you are replacing but probably.

IF13
October 15th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Before you remove any clamps, drain the fluid into a pan. Remove bolt number 130 above.

Clearance? Still not sure which pipe you are replacing but probably.

32102*

Yeah, Ill drain first to avoid a mess.

cuong-nutz
October 15th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Yes, drain and pull out. Plenty of room. The pipe is not in that far in the pump housing.

IF13
October 15th, 2013, 07:13 PM
Yes, drain and pull out. Plenty of room. The pipe is not in that far in the pump housing.

I'm hoping this is the case.

Thankfully its gotten quite chilly so I haven't had to worry about the flow of coolant but this'll definitely be a problem come time for spring season.

Time to find an appropriately priced replacement piece. This ****'s just a bent pipe and it's being sold for $60 off one of the parts site. D: If only I knew someone who could fabricate this for less.

Actually, should I chance it by just taking the pipe out, lopping off the bent part and clamping in a hose similar to the one that comes from the radiator? Then have one clamp hold it in place where screw no. 132B is located?

cuong-nutz
October 15th, 2013, 08:12 PM
Take a picture of this bent coolant tube of yours. I want to see how bad you are making it out to be. An old pipe bending trick was to fill the pipe with sand and weld the ends **** and bend the pipe....but that was hrew black pipe which was originally straight.

IF13
October 15th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Take a picture of this bent coolant tube of yours. I want to see how bad you are making it out to be. An old pipe bending trick was to fill the pipe with sand and weld the ends **** and bend the pipe....but that was hrew black pipe which was originally straight.

Will do first thing in the morning. Also that's a clever trick but I think the bottom end of this pipe is threaded. I've never gone pipe shopping so I'm not sure how easy it is to find a pipe with the kind of threading that matches this piece.

But if I could, I'd imagine it'd only be a few bucks.

mgentz
October 17th, 2013, 04:52 PM
None of the pipes are threaded. They are push fit.

alex.s
October 17th, 2013, 05:22 PM
cut the pipe after the kink, use a steel funnel and widen the throat slightly, then flip the funnel around and tighten down the throat to give you a nice lip at the end of the tube. now get a longer rubber hose from the radiator outlet and fasten it over the new end of your water pump input tube. if you cut off the mounting point for the tube, figure out a new way to secure it