View Full Version : Total newb helmet question

ARF07
March 18th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I feel like I shouldn't even be asking this, but I will anyways. Ok so I got my helmet in the mail today, and this was was actually big enough to get my head into..so when I strapped it up it felt fine, but when I started moving my head around I could feel the chin strap on my neck..

..unnecessarily long story short, apparently I have a large enough sized adam's apple that when I look down my chin strap pushes down on it..I could live with it, but it's still annoying..does anyone else have this problem/solution?

If not, hopefully you at least had a laugh at my expense :D

Cali619
March 18th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Ive had only 2 helmets but neither of them gave me this issue.

OldGuy
March 18th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Nathan - hard question to answer without seeing you in the helmet and being able to reach out and check the fit.

The strap is there to keep the bucket on the head if it is every put to use. Therefore it needs to be tight enough to not let the helmet come off - either forward or backwards. That is why one of the fit test is trying to rotate the helmet off both forwards and backwards. When doing that the strap will most likely push on your throat somewhere.

When you say it rubs when you look down are you talking about when you look at your toes or when looking at your dash? What is it like in the normal riding position and side-to-side movement?

ARF07
March 18th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks Don, I know it's hard to tell w/o seeing it..I put it back on and tightened the straps up..The last size of this I got I could barely squeeze my head into..this one feels better, but I don't really have much to compare it to. When I shake my head from side to side my head doesn't slide around inside.

I pulled forward and backward on the helmet, and I see what you're talking about with the strap pushing on my throat. The problem (if you wanna call it that) is that the double D ring padded strap setup pushes down on my adams apple somewhere between looking at the dashboard and my feet..Hopefully I'll just get used to this. Thanks a lot for the input.

sometimesido
March 18th, 2009, 12:43 PM
pull the strap forward a little or at least that's what i do.

OldGuy
March 18th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks Don, I know it's hard to tell w/o seeing it..I put it back on and tightened the straps up..The last size of this I got I could barely squeeze my head into..this one feels better, but I don't really have much to compare it to. When I shake my head from side to side my head doesn't slide around inside.

I pulled forward and backward on the helmet, and I see what you're talking about with the strap pushing on my throat. The problem (if you wanna call it that) is that the double D ring padded strap setup pushes down on my adams apple somewhere between looking at the dashboard and my feet..Hopefully I'll just get used to this. Thanks a lot for the input.

That's good that it wont slide side to side.

What helmet are you using? It sounds like you have one with a long strap on the left side. Both of mine (one HJC and one Scorpion) the left strap is just long enough to have the D rings and a snap on.

ARF07
March 18th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I've got a Shark RSI Skylon. Yeah, the strap is really long..I've gotta tuck the excess into the side of my helmet.

sometimesido
March 18th, 2009, 02:34 PM
got a picture of it?

ARF07
March 18th, 2009, 02:41 PM
All I've got with me is a camera phone, so I can't take any pictures of mine (not any half way good ones at least), but they've got a lot of pics on here (where I bought it from):

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=1275

OldGuy
March 18th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I've got a Shark RSI Skylon. Yeah, the strap is really long..I've gotta tuck the excess into the side of my helmet.

That doesn't sound just right. I'll take a pic of my two when I get home.

Broom
March 18th, 2009, 02:58 PM
sounds normal to me. it'll push on your throat a bit when you're looking down.

ARF07
March 18th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Alright cool, thanks Don..And Jon, I'm glad to hear it's not just me. Does it interfere with your ride enjoyment at all?

OldGuy
March 18th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Alright cool, thanks Don..And Jon, I'm glad to hear it's not just me. Does it interfere with your ride enjoyment at all?

Hasn't until now :D Now I'll probably think about ever time I put the helmet on. :rolleyes:

Here's a couple of pictures to show you relative strap length on the left. Doubt if yours is going to be different but just so you can see.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=56&pictureid=854

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=56&pictureid=853

ARF07
March 18th, 2009, 07:19 PM
lol I've been wearing my helmet around my room here and I've gotten a lot more used to it. My straps aren't any longer than yours, but thanks for posting pics so I have something to compare to.

OldGuy
March 18th, 2009, 07:37 PM
No problem Nathan - having and extra 2-3 pounds on your head is not a normal state, at least not yet.

Have fun and ride safe.

Buffalony
March 19th, 2009, 04:49 AM
lol I've been wearing my helmet around my room here and I've gotten a lot more used to it..

The silly things we bikers do :D :thumbup:

Nice Helmet BTW

It'll get more comfortable for you I'm sure.

muffinman
March 19th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I have a Shark RSR2... assuming the straps are similar:

Is it a "pinching" sensation? I had that problem too until I started making sure I stuff the padded cushion between the strap/buckle and my neck. It's in place when you're strapping in but as you tighten, it tends to slip out... make sure you readjust it so that's directly between the strap/buckle and your skin.